clarity

1.36ct intense blue

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa! ... 1.36 ct., Fancy Intense Blue, Internally Flawless? :eek-2:

I'm a minor FCD collector.
Sorry, but I can't guesstimate value.
That baby just blows my price range clear out of the water - in spades.

Comps are hard to come by for most FCDs, but this is an exceedingly rare gem.

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 3.18.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 3.18.44 PM.png

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm guessing at a LOT :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paul, are you by chance single? :Up_to_something:

I'm not now ... but I could be in a few minutes.

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No direct comparisons but some interesting 'nearby' stones:

0.23 SI Intense Blue Round $55k:

1.21 VVS2 Intense Blue Oval $POA:

1.02 SI1 Fancy Vivid Blue Oval $POA:

1.02 VS2 Fancy Blue Oval $459k:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Public prices for these things might be pranks.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A million dollars? Just a guess

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A million dollars? Just a guess

At auction I'd guess closer to 2 million.
At a retail private sale, not at auction, I would not even venture a guess.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that are very very rare gem. Intense Blue is up there with pink. Over 1 carat and IF, whoa, yes, probably over 1.5 million if it went to auction. Depends on who and how many want it.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
WOWZERS! the stone you have on paper sounds amazing!
If you are interested in selling, i will echo what others have mentioned above- selling it via auction house eg Sothersby/ christies...

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At Bonhams' September 2019 New York Jewels auction, a Van Cleef & Arpels ring -- featuring a 2.16 emerald-cut diamond that GIA graded as Fancy Intense Blue, VVS2 with round diamond side stones -- sold for $2,540,075 (that includes the buyer's premium):

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
$1,640,000 was the winning bid here in NYC last month on a Tiffany solitaire ring with a 3.02 ct cut-corner square modified brilliant diamond that GIA graded as Fancy Intense Blue, VS2. So more than twice the weight of the stone the OP has asked about, but not IF in clarity.

Because the price shown has all those zeros, I'm guessing it's the "hammer price," doesn't include the buyer's premium.

kentpaul

Rough_Rock
Here is a video. Seems like auction is best price, but I think a lot of these stones change hands privately. I think it would make a great ring for some rich arab's wife.

Its not mine, one of my wife's friends wants to sell it and isnt sure how. I think asking dealers and the auctions for offers/ guide price is way to go.

Im not a big jewelery person, but I do think the coloured diamonds are something special.

Thanks for the comments, if it goes to auction Ill post a catalogue link.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a video of the stone that Diamond ICQ in Hong Kong posted in 2018 (GIA lab report is shown shortly after the video begins):

But 4 months ago (September 2019), Diamond ICQ posted a video of it set into a ring mounting:

Nice stalking! lol :D

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a video. Seems like auction is best price, but I think a lot of these stones change hands privately. I think it would make a great ring for some rich arab's wife.

Its not mine, one of my wife's friends wants to sell it and isnt sure how. I think asking dealers and the auctions for offers/ guide price is way to go. * * *
Sotheby's accepts only art work for its private sales program.

Christie's, however, is happy to facilitate the private sale of (noteworthy) gemstones and jewelry, so she could pursue that -- not just the possibility of an auction -- with them.

kentpaul

Rough_Rock
Vendor has this as well and a couple of unpolished blues. The backstory is someone working in the trade, buying some rough diamonds on business trips and getting them polished. Some end up being better than others.

GIA: 5172168199

10ct.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's quite a difficult chore to put a value on such a stone.
Sellers ( most) won't honestly discuss the pricing, in the open.
Personally I find that an issue- but probably not for the gazillionaire ready to plop down 1mil for a one carat diamond....

kentpaul

Rough_Rock
seems like trade price is more like $400-550k or so. finding an end retail buyer adds a lot of value...

Reactions: AV_

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The Trade and end retail aren’t really very different on this sort of thing. Even in Hollywood and the Middle-East, there are no consumers. Only collectors and every collector fancies themselves as a dealer. The primary way they change hands is through private deals. A gazillionaire will let it be known through their circles that they might be willing to sell one, if the price is right, and another gazillionaire lets it be known that they might be willing to buy one if the price is right. The middlemen negotiate for months over cocktails and eventually they come to a deal, or not. Greasing the wheels earns them a commission. It almost never sees the inside of anything you would call a store and it never, ever, sells to ‘the trade’.

kentpaul

Rough_Rock
The Trade and end retail aren’t really very different on this sort of thing. Even in Hollywood and the Middle-East, there are no consumers. Only collectors and every collector fancies themselves as a dealer. The primary way they change hands is through private deals. A gazillionaire will let it be known through their circles that they might be willing to sell one, if the price is right, and another gazillionaire lets it be known that they might be willing to buy one if the price is right. The middlemen negotiate for months over cocktails and eventually they come to a deal, or not. Greasing the wheels earns them a commission. It almost never sees the inside of anything you would call a store and it never, ever, sells to ‘the trade’.

appreciate that Neil, why dont more go to auction or is that the really rare ones?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My "circle" is a bit different than Neil...so we have a different perspective....
We deal with the cutters- as opposed to the secondary market.
So I called to ask my buddy, a cutter of such stones...
Basically, there's a very limited amount of buyers for "mega stones" so they will indeed use auction houses- and set a minimum to protect themselves. But they also continually offer these stones to dealers

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
appreciate that Neil, why dont more go to auction or is that the really rare ones?

They do. The problem is that auction is expensive. Fees range from 20% to 40% of the take depending on the house, the hammer price, and the details of the contract. They do sell that way, and people do it because there's a sale date and they come with a certain amount of prestige and confidence, but that all comes at a cost.

kentpaul

Rough_Rock
Someone else in London whose family have a very high end jewelers, said retail price if 2.6x the trade price. So basically if this stone ie worth $1.25m, then the trade price is about $500k. Seems like a high mark up but you can see the cost base these shops in premier locations have vs the number of customers in them.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Auctioneers do private sales too.

It is not retail rents that make this life difficult, but the frequency of action. The private markets are nicer.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone else in London whose family have a very high end jewelers, said retail price if 2.6x the trade price. So basically if this stone ie worth $1.25m, then the trade price is about $500k. Seems like a high mark up but you can see the cost base these shops in premier locations have vs the number of customers in them.
Well, although understandable, the fact that the very high end jeweler has high overhead due to their premier location isn't a reason for her to sell to them.

Is she eager to sell it ASAP? Especially since she's had the ring (or the FIB diamond, if she convinced ICQ Diamond to unmount it & sell it to her loose) for less than 5 months, I imagine her purchase price was not "merely" $500K.

Perhaps I'm being unduly skeptical, but "the retail price is 2.6 x the trade price" sounds like something they think she will find convincing because the 2.6x is so precise. I'd be curious to know if the jeweler routinely sells loose fancy blues as retail merchandise? Or is the only way a consumer could obtain a fancy blue from them is by purchasing a piece of jewelry with the fancy blue mounted?

Unless a speedy transaction is paramount, I'd strongly encourage her to meet with the jewelry departments of at least 3 of the auction houses there in London (e.g., Christie's, Sotheby's, Bonhams), so she has more information on which to base her decision. Although this website's focus doesn't include jewelry, its 5 Questions to Ask an Auction House Before Consigning a Work could be helpful to her in formulating questions for her own interviews of auction houses:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a very rare fancy blue diamond there aren’t many buyers out there, though any of them will have plenty of money if the diamond appeals to them.
it really needs to go to a premier gemstone and jewellery auction, the ones held by Sotheby’s or Christie’s in HongKong or similar. These auctions attract the very wealthy and top jewellery houses looking to create an “ultra piece” and to some buyers there is an ego boost to winning the bid on a rare and desirable gemstone.
its not in the sort of price range of “ordinary folk”. So it’s not going to find a buyer is a “retail” situation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results