shape
carat
color
clarity

1.31 G VS2 , but there is a ''feather'' - opinions pls?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pepsi_corp

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
Have been frequenting this great site for the last several weeks now and have learned lots. Seen many a beautiful rock on here as well.
I am looking for an engagement diamond and have come across an offer (very well priced 10K-11K USD) for the following:
1.31 carat Heart & Arrow cut
G
VS2
symmetry - ideal
polish - ideal
fluorescence - none

The kicker is that there is a sizeable feather on the pavilion (see pic). I haven''t come across this term much in my research for the right diamond. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1.3GVS2CROP3.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VS2 inclusions present no structural integrity issues and are usually eye-clean.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/23/2009 2:05:13 AM
Author: JulieN
VS2 inclusions present no structural integrity issues and are usually eye-clean.
No?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2009 1:29:07 AM
Author:pepsi_corp
Hi all,
Have been frequenting this great site for the last several weeks now and have learned lots. Seen many a beautiful rock on here as well.
I am looking for an engagement diamond and have come across an offer (very well priced 10K-11K USD) for the following:
1.31 carat Heart & Arrow cut
G
VS2
symmetry - ideal
polish - ideal
fluorescence - none

The kicker is that there is a sizeable feather on the pavilion (see pic). I haven''t come across this term much in my research for the right diamond. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I would check with the vendor concerning the feather or an independant appraiser.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 2:42:24 AM
Author: Rhino

No?
With a properly graded stone no it should not be an issue.
Since that is an AGS grading report it would be very rare for it to be an issue.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/23/2009 4:47:03 AM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 2/23/2009 2:42:24 AM
Author: Rhino

No?
With a properly graded stone no it should not be an issue.
Since that is an AGS grading report it would be very rare for it to be an issue.
Two more notes of significance:

First, the feather is plotted in the pavilion. The only features plotted there either touch the pavilion surface or are seen face-down only. With that in mind it may have been drawn for sake of thoroughness. The grade set accounts for the nature of inclusions present and this one remained VS2 so I'm also inclined to believe it's not an issue.

Second, inclusions are listed in order or importance. The crystals are the grade-setters, which reinforces the above.

pepsi_corp

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the input everyone!

Here were my main concerns to start with:

-size of the feather (this is the largest one I''ve come across on a GIA or AGS certificate)
-proximity of it to the girdle
-low price of the diamond !!

Most diamonds I''ve come across being close to 1.31 G VS2 are all about 2000 to 3000 more expensive than this one. So is this diamond priced low because:
a) there is truly a potential ''structural'' issue with the feather
b) noone wants to take the risk due to the stigma of a ''feather''
c) it really is just truly a bargain at low 10K

Can feathers really ''devalue'' a diamond by THAT much??

I''m tempted not to take the leap of faith, as I find myself falling further and further into the ''stigma of a feather'' group. Perhaps not wanting my future ''one'' to be the proud owner of one of the largest feathers I''ve ever seen on a certificate.

Really sounds like I''ve already answered my own question in terms of to buy or not buy...haha.

I would appreciate any further input you all have though. Thanks again!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The reason I ask is becuase I have personally seen diamonds by conservative labs even as high as VVS2 that not only had surface reaching feathers but were also *open* and on the crown. If one were looking at the paperwork alone you''d never have known it. I''m not saying this diamond has it or not but I know from experience that this can''t always be determined from paperwork.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results