shape
carat
color
clarity

1.28 F VS2 - James Allen Six Prong Tapered Solitaire

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I’m so excited to share my engagement ring here!

We chose a 1.28 F VS2 ideal cut (IGI) stone, and popped it in a platinum tapered six prong solitaire from James Allen, and I’m really happy with how it turned out! It’s always a bit nerve wracking buying site-unseen, and I’m in Australia so the returns process is a bit less straight forward, but it’s turned well! Overall, it shipped two days later than it was meant to, but we did order on NYE, which might’ve slowed things down. It left NY 6am Saturday morning, arrived in Sydney at 9pm Sunday night, spent 24 hours in customs before being shipped and processed, before I picked it up today (Wednesday in Au).

I’ve put in some pictures below :) it definitely looks bigger in the pictures than it does in person! I’m a size 5 finger, for reference.

image.jpg

A66A1719-FB8D-491C-8396-A094D8E472BD.jpeg 86801167-7E1F-482B-A677-7B3CECEB2C91.jpeg D2EE23EA-38C8-48DD-94CB-22782E1BB338.jpeg

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! What a beautiful and classic look!

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful! Congratulations!

Did you have to pay any extra for it arriving into Aus?

PinkPfeiffer

Rough_Rock
Congrats! What a beautiful ring. I would love to see more profile shots if possible? We ordered my ring 3 days ago in 18k yellow gold. I requested to have platinum prongs which means I can't return the ring if I am not happy! We also took advantage of the sale and ordered my wedding band too.

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful! Congratulations!

Did you have to pay any extra for it arriving into Aus?

Thank you!
Yes, I had to pay 10% of the total purchase price again in GST to customs on entry, and a customs handling fee. There were no duty fees, as we have a free trade agreement with the US and James Allen did the AUSFTA paperwork.
This was still considerably cheaper than having it made locally!

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
Really a beautiful ring, congratulations!

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! What a beautiful ring. I would love to see more profile shots if possible? We ordered my ring 3 days ago in 18k yellow gold. I requested to have platinum prongs which means I can't return the ring if I am not happy! We also took advantage of the sale and ordered my wedding band too.

Amazing! Which band did you get?

I must admit, in one of the profile shots the diamond appears to be a little crooked. Whilst my perfectionist brain doesn’t love that, it isn’t worth sending it back, and seems to be structurally sound. I’ll have a local jeweller check it over when I have a band made for peace of mind, I think.

AB0603F0-C693-4297-ACB7-7A1CEA07CAA1.jpeg ED2E2FE1-0B2A-421F-BAD2-2DF7B80994E6.jpeg

Attachments

• 3A4F59FF-2E51-4BA1-95E0-D017FF22179D.jpeg
    3A4F59FF-2E51-4BA1-95E0-D017FF22179D.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 85
  • A54C475D-E609-4825-B2E4-B013A643329E.jpeg
    A54C475D-E609-4825-B2E4-B013A643329E.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 82

PinkPfeiffer

Rough_Rock
Amazing! Which band did you get?

I must admit, in one of the profile shots the diamond appears to be a little crooked. Whilst my perfectionist brain doesn’t love that, it isn’t worth sending it back, and seems to be structurally sound. I’ll have a local jeweller check it over when I have a band made for peace of mind, I think.

AB0603F0-C693-4297-ACB7-7A1CEA07CAA1.jpeg ED2E2FE1-0B2A-421F-BAD2-2DF7B80994E6.jpeg

Thank you so much. I am so in love with this ring and feel assured that I made the right decision. I chose this ring because I want to stack it with the wedding band.
This is the band I picked out: https://www.jamesallen.com/wedding-...ng-set-diamond-wedding-ring-30-ctw-item-53634

It will be yellow gold so hopefully it will look nice, fingers crossed.

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
It's classic and perfect! Best wishes to you and your fiance =)2

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! It looks lovely on you!

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!
Yes, I had to pay 10% of the total purchase price again in GST to customs on entry, and a customs handling fee. There were no duty fees, as we have a free trade agreement with the US and James Allen did the AUSFTA paperwork.
This was still considerably cheaper than having it made locally!

Thank you.
Enjoy this time :)

Tayberry

Shiny_Rock
This is so nice can you share more pics?

kv3o3

Rough_Rock
Congratulations! It looks very nice. I also have the same setting with a 1.23 carat stone. There were a lot of problems with my setting when I first received it. The entire head was slightly bent to one side. The prongs were not finished well and had gaps all over the place. The metal was not even rhodium plated.
Sent it back and they were very willing to correct everything. And they did a great job the second time around.
I found that taller bands won't work well with this setting. There's just not enough clearance underneath, so taller bands will rub at the base of the prongs. Low profile bands or curved bands would work fine. Or you may need to use spacers if you don't want low profile/ curved bands.
I chose a chevron band.
Overall, I really like this setting.
20201217_221259.jpg

skalarit

Rough_Rock
O.m.g how beautiful!!! so glad James Allen is doing lab diamonds. I’m looking for a ring for my brother in law (‘s girlfriend) and I’ll be bookmarking this!

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much. I am so in love with this ring and feel assured that I made the right decision. I chose this ring because I want to stack it with the wedding band.
This is the band I picked out: https://www.jamesallen.com/wedding-...ng-set-diamond-wedding-ring-30-ctw-item-53634

It will be yellow gold so hopefully it will look nice, fingers crossed.

Hi there! Have your rings arrived? I’m curious to see them paired together, the engagement and the wedding band.. I have to choose mine soon!

PinkPfeiffer

Rough_Rock
Hi there! Have your rings arrived? I’m curious to see them paired together, the engagement and the wedding band.. I have to choose mine soon!

Hi!!

After seeing the earlier post about bands rubbing etc I panicked and changed my order *again*. I chose this solitaire/; https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...olitaire-engagement-ring-flush-fit-item-67338

It is more basic but I really like the idea of the band and e-ring sitting flush. My band should be coming in a few days time =)2

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! It looks very nice. I also have the same setting with a 1.23 carat stone. There were a lot of problems with my setting when I first received it. The entire head was slightly bent to one side. The prongs were not finished well and had gaps all over the place. The metal was not even rhodium plated.
Sent it back and they were very willing to correct everything. And they did a great job the second time around.
I found that taller bands won't work well with this setting. There's just not enough clearance underneath, so taller bands will rub at the base of the prongs. Low profile bands or curved bands would work fine. Or you may need to use spacers if you don't want low profile/ curved bands.
I chose a chevron band.
20201217_221259.jpg
Gosh, that’s frustrating! It seems that their quality control is a bit off at times. There is definitely something slightly off with one of the prongs (or maybe the whole head is slightly tilted?) on mine, but it’s really difficult to see, and not worth shipping to the other side of the world for.

Oooh, I like the look of the chevron band! It’s lovely.

I’ve also tried the Tiffany harmony band with it, which is gorgeous.. but I can’t justify the cost!!
F8A57658-7CF9-44BC-8B45-0376598707B6.jpeg

Last edited:

adele_h

Shiny_Rock

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
This is so nice can you share more pics?

I’m so sorry that I missed this! Of course :lol-2:

7E49091C-68AE-437D-BBB5-81C317287370.jpeg 73BFC58B-2E4F-4DA1-AE9B-64E8EBD04321.jpeg
(paired with a Tiffany channel band.. unsure which, unfortunately!).

98D292BB-606B-4528-8632-F864B52C766D.jpeg
(paired with a Tiffany Soleste band, I *think*)

CD65FE1C-D73B-4134-99BE-AFCFFB08A4FD.jpeg
Paired with a basic plat wedder..

6D46F6E5-AF20-4CC0-BA11-3E2E34514760.jpeg
and lastly, paired with a ‘maul’ store shared prong band (I think close to 0.5tcw).
If there are any angles you’re after, let me know!

andiemarie

Rough_Rock
Adele-Beautiful ring! Thanks for sharing your pics of the bands with it. Did you decide on anything? Such a hard choice, they are all so nice.

I am following this thread as I recently purchased a lab diamond from James Allen. It's being set in a 4 prong platinum solitaire 2.5mm comfort band setting. Should be here next week. I'm having a touch of 'buyers remorse' as I was on the fence between this setting or the more flush setting. I will see how it turns out and then decide.

I am now looking to pair a half eternity diamond band with it. I am looking for a channel set band.. I am hoping to find around .50 carat channel set with round diamonds. The one they sell at James Allen is nice, but the width is 4.15mm so it might be too wide with a 2.5mm e-ring? I don't know.. I was thinking maybe keeping the width to about 2.5 or 3mm for my band.

If anyone has any recommendations for a channel set band or has pics, I would love to see them. Thanks!

PinkPfeiffer

Rough_Rock
Please post a pic when it arrives?

Yes of course! I think I am having buyers remorse. I still prefer your ring. Hopefully I will learn to fall in love with the new setting

PinkPfeiffer

Rough_Rock
I’m so sorry that I missed this! Of course :lol-2:

7E49091C-68AE-437D-BBB5-81C317287370.jpeg 73BFC58B-2E4F-4DA1-AE9B-64E8EBD04321.jpeg
(paired with a Tiffany channel band.. unsure which, unfortunately!).

98D292BB-606B-4528-8632-F864B52C766D.jpeg
(paired with a Tiffany Soleste band, I *think*)

CD65FE1C-D73B-4134-99BE-AFCFFB08A4FD.jpeg
Paired with a basic plat wedder..

6D46F6E5-AF20-4CC0-BA11-3E2E34514760.jpeg
and lastly, paired with a ‘maul’ store shared prong band (I think close to 0.5tcw).
If there are any angles you’re after, let me know!

Beautiful. It seems to sit well with the wedding band. Did you notice any issues with rubbing etc?

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Adele-Beautiful ring! Thanks for sharing your pics of the bands with it. Did you decide on anything? Such a hard choice, they are all so nice.

I am following this thread as I recently purchased a lab diamond from James Allen. It's being set in a 4 prong platinum solitaire 2.5mm comfort band setting. Should be here next week. I'm having a touch of 'buyers remorse' as I was on the fence between this setting or the more flush setting. I will see how it turns out and then decide.

I am now looking to pair a half eternity diamond band with it. I am looking for a channel set band.. I am hoping to find around .50 carat channel set with round diamonds. The one they sell at James Allen is nice, but the width is 4.15mm so it might be too wide with a 2.5mm e-ring? I don't know.. I was thinking maybe keeping the width to about 2.5 or 3mm for my band.

If anyone has any recommendations for a channel set band or has pics, I would love to see them. Thanks!

It’s so difficult to buy sight-unseen! If you’re in the US, at least returns might be a bit easier for you if need be...? Having said that, the comfort band setting is also very classic - it’s hard to go wrong!

I actually wound up getting the tapered pave band from James AlLen - it seems to be ‘inspired by’ the Tiffany harmony setting, so I’m hoping that it pairs well. It’ll take a couple of weeks to arrive, and we’re having a short engagement (getting married six weeks from now) - so I’m really hoping that it all works out, otherwise I’ll be in a tricky spot!

The band of this ring seems to be about 2.3mm, and I personally think that 4mm would probably feel a bit chunky in comparison - bands between 2-3mm seemed to have been the most aesthetically pleasing to my eye, but again, it’s so personal! Looking forward to seeing a pic of your ring when it arrives though!

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful. It seems to sit well with the wedding band. Did you notice any issues with rubbing etc?

I didn’t wear any of them for long enough to really find out! I have a little 2mm pave band from Blue Nile that fits really nicely with it, so there are definitely options that fit flush with enough clearance.. But it does limit the size of the stones you can have on the wedding band. Ultimately, I wound up going with the tiffany harmony style band that James Allen do, so hopefully that will look okay!

I’m sure your ring is going to be lovely! Surely it can’t be far away now?

andiemarie

Rough_Rock
It’s so difficult to buy sight-unseen! If you’re in the US, at least returns might be a bit easier for you if need be...? Having said that, the comfort band setting is also very classic - it’s hard to go wrong!

I actually wound up getting the tapered pave band from James AlLen - it seems to be ‘inspired by’ the Tiffany harmony setting, so I’m hoping that it pairs well. It’ll take a couple of weeks to arrive, and we’re having a short engagement (getting married six weeks from now) - so I’m really hoping that it all works out, otherwise I’ll be in a tricky spot!

The band of this ring seems to be about 2.3mm, and I personally think that 4mm would probably feel a bit chunky in comparison - bands between 2-3mm seemed to have been the most aesthetically pleasing to my eye, but again, it’s so personal! Looking forward to seeing a pic of your ring when it arrives though!

The band you ordered is beautiful! Please post a pic when it arrives. I'm sure it will pair beautifully.

I am in Canada so it is still a bit of a pain to ship back and forth across the border. I will have to see the ring when it arrives and maybe try it on bands in person and then decide, as you did. My ring should be here in a few days.

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
For anyone curious - I’ve just included a couple of pics of the tapered wedding band, so others can see how it pairs with the solitaire. It isn’t perfect - there is a tiny bit of rub between the band and the prongs - but I don’t think I’ll be wearing the set all that often (I work full time in a hospital = no rings at work). I’m not in love with the band (perhaps not my best choice, but I was very time limited) and I much prefer the solitaire on its own.

If it doesn’t grow on me with time, I might have something custom created at home in the coming months.

anyways - hope this is helpful for someone!

Attachments

• 64527189-892C-4EDC-9875-0A507764C2FB.jpeg
    64527189-892C-4EDC-9875-0A507764C2FB.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 76
  • C7591133-5609-47F4-B054-8E270D26E668.jpeg
    C7591133-5609-47F4-B054-8E270D26E668.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 75
  • B78BF297-19CD-4C40-973A-F3372329C2F9.jpeg
    B78BF297-19CD-4C40-973A-F3372329C2F9.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 70

mkkeunice

Rough_Rock
I chose a chevron band.
20201217_221259.jpg

Lovely diamond!!! Can you share specs of your solitaire and whether it is a cvd or hpht?
Again, so pretty!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a James Allen 6 prong solitaire which I like very much. I wear a spacer between my eternity and engagement rings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results