shape
carat
color
clarity

1/2 carat range - first diamond purchase advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shadowfaxes

Rough_Rock
I am a soon-to-be college grad with a limited price range (albeit pretty good in comparison to some of my peers). I started out shopping for a engagement ring for my gf of 6 years recently. I looked at all the family-owned jewelry shops in my hometown and was upset at the pricing. I finally found this site and was amazed at the price difference - ESPECIALLY considering cut quality.

I have a few stones in mind, but am afraid to link to them in case someone snatches them up before me... if I put a hold on a stone at GOG, do they refund the hold in full if I decide not to buy it or am I committed to making a purchase there?

Does anyone know if it is worth getting a ~$1200 diamond independently appraised or not? I am leaning toward trusting GOG''s online information about a warmer color stone (K-M range). I want this to be heirloom quality for my kids and grandkids, so I am more interested in craftsmanship and clarity than color (I kind of like yellow as long as it sparkles!). I am looking at a plat or white gold ring (a replica of a gold family heirloom) and think the hint of color might be interesting. Any opinions on color out there?

I know it sounds silly when people are talking about $7000+ price ranges, but money and budgets are relative here!

Thanks for any and all advice, especially if someone can answer my question about reservation refunds before GOG gets back to me!

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
This is off their website - dunno if you saw it:

Deposits

We require a $500.00 deposit to hold a diamond for you which can be made via credit card or wire. This deposit will hold the diamond for you up to 72 hours to give you time to make payment arrangements with your bank or credit card company. If you pay the balance via credit card the regular price applies. You can receive the bank wire discount for the diamond if you bank wire the balance with no more than $500.00 deposit on credit card. The stone will be considered sold and your deposit is fully refundable or exchangeable up to 30 days after the deposit is placed. We will hold the stone longer than 72 hours if your order requires a setting which takes longer to get.

If you are purchasing a setting with us as well your deposit must cover the cost of the setting (which would then be non refundable since it is a special order item), thus the deposit would serve 2 functions.

here''s the link to their policies page http://goodoldgold.com/About_Good_Old_Gold/Policies/

shadowfaxes

Rough_Rock
Thanks, my eyes skimmed over the sentence: "The stone will be considered sold and your deposit is fully refundable or exchangeable up to 30 days after the deposit is placed."

That helps!

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
Yup! basically they take it off the search and hold it for you but if you decide you don''t want it you get your money back.. as long as it''s within 30 days!

So pay that deposit and let''s see that diamond!!
31.gif

But really.. you can''t go wrong with any of the GOG H&A stones! He''s got some gorgeous stones!
30.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2009 1:38:01 PM
Author:DiamondJ
I am a soon-to-be college grad with a limited price range (albeit pretty good in comparison to some of my peers). I started out shopping for a engagement ring for my gf of 6 years recently. I looked at all the family-owned jewelry shops in my hometown and was upset at the pricing. I finally found this site and was amazed at the price difference - ESPECIALLY considering cut quality.

I have a few stones in mind, but am afraid to link to them in case someone snatches them up before me... if I put a hold on a stone at GOG, do they refund the hold in full if I decide not to buy it or am I committed to making a purchase there?

Does anyone know if it is worth getting a ~$1200 diamond independently appraised or not? I am leaning toward trusting GOG's online information about a warmer color stone (K-M range). I want this to be heirloom quality for my kids and grandkids, so I am more interested in craftsmanship and clarity than color (I kind of like yellow as long as it sparkles!). I am looking at a plat or white gold ring (a replica of a gold family heirloom) and think the hint of color might be interesting. Any opinions on color out there?

I know it sounds silly when people are talking about $7000+ price ranges, but money and budgets are relative here!

Thanks for any and all advice, especially if someone can answer my question about reservation refunds before GOG gets back to me!
Welcome!

Please don't worry about your budget, we are pleased to help anyone regardless of budget and offer the same help and consideration to everyone!
35.gif

As to an appraisal, personally I wouldn't if I was purchasing from GOG but thats due to the faith I have in the company and seeing many happy customers of theirs over the years. But it is up to your comfort level, the diamond would certainly be worth having an appraisal done should you wish to do so.

Colour - I adore the warmer colour grades, I think of them as ' antique whites' and as long as the cut is great they can be extremely beautiful.

Linking diamonds - there is a risk of lurker poaching ( maybe not so much with the lower colours) but maybe what you could do is just post the images and proportions without too much indentifying info where possible.

Nams kindly added the pertinent info for putting a diamond on hold!

shadowfaxes

Rough_Rock
Alright, I put a hold on the stone and here is the link! What do you think??

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5126/

Shape: Round
Carat Weight: 0.61ct
Color: L
Clarity: VVS2
AGS Cut Grade: Ideal
AGS Light Performance: Ideal
Optical Symmetry: Superior
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Ideal
Fluorescence: None
Culet: None
Lab Report: AGS
Lab Report #: 10076104
In House: Yes
Width: 5.47mm
Length: 5.50mm
Depth: 3.36mm
Table Percentage: 56.62%
Depth Percentage: 61.20%
Crown ∠: 34.63°
Crown Depth: 14.80%
Pavilion ∠: 40.77°
Pavilion Depth: 42.90%

The only thing I am concerned about is the marking on the exterior, shown in the picture here: http://www.goodoldgold.com/items/5126/clarity3.jpg

Do you think that might be a chip that needs to be looked at by a gemologist??

Edit: I typed in the angles on the Cut Advisor and got a Total Visual Performance score of 1.3. Looks good to me, what about you?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not worry about any inclusion on a VVS clarity graded stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2009 2:36:53 PM
Author: DiamondJ
Alright, I put a hold on the stone and here is the link! What do you think??

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5126/

Shape: Round
Carat Weight: 0.61ct
Color: L
Clarity: VVS2
AGS Cut Grade: Ideal
AGS Light Performance: Ideal
Optical Symmetry: Superior
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Ideal
Fluorescence: None
Culet: None
Lab Report: AGS
Lab Report #: 10076104
In House: Yes
Width: 5.47mm
Length: 5.50mm
Depth: 3.36mm
Table Percentage: 56.62%
Depth Percentage: 61.20%
Crown ∠: 34.63°
Crown Depth: 14.80%
Pavilion ∠: 40.77°
Pavilion Depth: 42.90%

The only thing I am concerned about is the marking on the exterior, shown in the picture here: http://www.goodoldgold.com/items/5126/clarity3.jpg

Do you think that might be a chip that needs to be looked at by a gemologist??

Edit: I typed in the angles on the Cut Advisor and got a Total Visual Performance score of 1.3. Looks good to me, what about you?
Oh its a beauty!!! I have a special fondness for the warmer colour grades. Nothing at all to worry about with VVS clarity, any inclusions are totally minuscule!

shadowfaxes

Rough_Rock
Is the splitting of the hearts at the cleft a major issue?

Also, does anyone know how to spot a painted girdle? I assume GOG wouldn't sell one and looking at the "DiamXray" on the stone -- I didn't see the telling signs of one.

Anyway, clefts, I see them here:

hearts-compressed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results