shape
carat
color
clarity

1.10 OEC five stone ring (another eBay find)

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
Here she is! First impressions are that she's a very sweet little ring. :)) I was really nervous before opening the package and was prepared to be disappointed, but I'm very pleasantly surprised.

Sold as 1930s 1.10 cctw OECs H SI1 (.15 .20 .40 .20 .15) 18k yellow gold with platinum head and shoulders

I paid £900 ($1400) and would LOVE to know opinions on whether I paid too much. It was originally listed at £1395 ($2200). I really like the ring, but am not so emotionally attached to it that I'd be okay with paying too much for it! :lol:

The seller did include a box! :))

The prongs are in great shape:

On my size 9 finger --I think here you can see that stones 2 and 4 hold a little more colour than the others:

DSC00813.jpg

DSC00814.jpg

DSC00820.jpg

DSC00808.jpg

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
With my wedding band -- I plan to wear this ring in place of my e-ring occasionally:

Pleasantly surprised to find the yellow gold doesn't show as the platinum shoulders go down quite far:

Stones 2 and 4 have higher crowns:

DSC00825.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

DSC00839.jpg

DSC00838.jpg

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
The only faults I can find after louping are the inclusions (feathers?) in the centre stone, which I've tried to capture here -- they don't appear to reach the surface of the stone. There also a chip that's been hidden under a prong -- centre stone, top right. Other than that, the other stones are remarkably clean and in good shape.

With my M for colour comparison:

DSC00846.jpg

DSC00834.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks B E A U T I F U L !!! What a great find - but can't advise if it was a steal or not. It fits and looks amazing - to me, that's a big win/win!

Very nice with good finger coverage and I agree - I'd be thrilled that the platinum is what you see most from the top.

Enjoy!!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't comment on the price but i can definitely comment on the beauty of your ring...It looks amazing.... :love:

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it's lovely! I'd say the cost to remake this ring is probably more than what you paid, so good job! :love:

mypatience

Rough_Rock
I love it! So unique with those random high crowns.... I even love the fact there are two warmer stones mixed in. It give this piece so much character! Good find!!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm completly jealous, which means its perfect! It looks like it was made for you, plus the box is such a mega bonus!

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, everyone! I'm soooo not confident in my jewellery purchases because I'm so new to this, so I really rely on my fellow PSers for reassurance! :))

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
athenaworth|1331306371|3144954 said:
I'm completly jealous, which means its perfect! It looks like it was made for you, plus the box is such a mega bonus!

If being jealous means a ring is perfect, then everyone's ring on PS is perfect, because I'm jealous of every single one! :lol:

I love the box, too. It's not the one the ring originally came it and I would've loved to have had the original one, but I'm sure that's been lost somewhere along the way. I just looked up the jewellery company and apparently they're still in business. Seems like they're sort of the UK equivalent of a mall store now, but they wouldn't have been when the box was made! :)) Looks like they're a family business established in 1856 and are now the largest independent chain the UK.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stunning, both your rings are amazing!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet that thing sparkles like crazy! It looks perfect stacked next to your wedding band....I love me an antiquey non-matchy set!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a very sweet little ring! Nice to have when you dont feel like wearing your e-ring.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous, and the price seems great to me, but I'm no expert!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
elliemay|1331307528|3144964 said:
athenaworth|1331306371|3144954 said:

If being jealous means a ring is perfect, then everyone's ring on PS is perfect, because I'm jealous of every single one! :lol:

I love the box, too. It's not the one the ring originally came it and I would've loved to have had the original one, but I'm sure that's been lost somewhere along the way. I just looked up the jewellery company and apparently they're still in business. Seems like they're sort of the UK equivalent of a mall store now, but they wouldn't have been when the box was made! :)) Looks like they're a family business established in 1856 and are now the largest independent chain the UK.

I actually went on the hunt for a vintage box after I got my most recent purchase. There's just something about having a period peice and period box (ewww that sounds gross) to go with it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Price, rough, for a center stone might be $450, twenty pointers ring about $130, the littler guys, $100 for both, so about $850 in the diamonds? If you like the mount, then the price seems fair. There is another five stone with what look to be better matched equal sized stones for $1500 that has not been selling.

It looks very pretty, and if you like it, since the price seems fair, then souds like a good buy!

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE your new ring! Those OEC are so beautiful and the way they are set makes the whole ring very unique. I also like the prongs!

On another note, it's nice to see the perspective on another size 9 finger! For a long time, I thought I had the biggest girl fingers on PS with all these size 3 and 4s running around. :naughty: I guess we're finger twins!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
love it!!!!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
It's beautiful! Congrats on another awesome ebay find!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Love it! Love the side details and the unique stones/shapes! Very pretty ring!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous, and so is your e-ring!! What a great find!! I love that each stone has its own personality, and the setting is gorgeous :love: :love:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
It is very pretty and the setting looks to be in great condition.

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice, it's perfect with your wedding band- a great find :wavey:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think it is a beautiful ring and had it on my watch list forever. I think it is expensive given what I have gotten on ebay in the past. Either way, it is a beautiful piece!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is lovely- if you love it and it was a price you were willing to pay- then great!!

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for your feedback, everyone -- it's much appreciated!

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to return the ring. I got my loupe out again this morning and realised that the centre stone just really isn't up to par. I was fine with the inclusions as the stone is eye clean, and I was okay with the chip under the prong, but this morning I took a really good look and found that there's another chip which is right above the lower left prong, and it's quite a sizeable chip. It's not noticeable to the eye as the stones are small, but I know it's there and I would be conscious of it every time I wore the ring. I think if I'd paid less or was really emotionally attached to the ring, I'd keep it, but it's not 100% for me. :(sad

Back to the drawing board -- maybe I'll try to not be so impulsive next time. Maybe ;))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think its a good decision. I also think the stones look a little "crushed ice" in the images. Is it that way on person?

Can you tell me about your channel set wedding band please? It is really pretty. Where is it from, specs?

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331418577|3145797 said:
I think its a good decision. I also think the stones look a little "crushed ice" in the images. Is it that way on person?

It may just be the way I took the pictures -- they definitely look like crushed ice in the first picture! The picture with my wedding band shows them closest to how they look in person -- the facets and culets are all very clear, but the size of the stones makes them look a bit "busier", if that makes any sense.

Dreamer_D|1331418577|3145797 said:
Can you tell me about your channel set wedding band please? It is really pretty. Where is it from, specs?

Thank you! :)) It was a pre-PS purchase from an independent jeweller in NE England -- 18k unplated white gold, G-H VS2 1.5mm full cuts, totalling about 3/4 carat (stats from a later appraisal as we didn't really know anything about buying diamonds at the time so just bought what was pretty!).

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
too bad you have to return it, but it's good that you realized it now rather than later. Maybe you could take a look at the five stone that DD mentioned for about the same money?

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
Christina...|1331430011|3145945 said:
too bad you have to return it, but it's good that you realized it now rather than later. Maybe you could take a look at the five stone that DD mentioned for about the same money?

Yeah, it's a shame it has to go back, but it's like I know too much now -- pre-PS, I totally would've kept this ring as it genuinely is very pretty, but now pretty just isn't enough. Ahh...the PS blessing is also a curse! :lol:

I've got my eye (and some bids!) on a few other things and hopefully one or more will go in my favour. There's one that's totally different to what I thought I wanted, but I keep going back to look at it and have some ideas on what to do with it, so fingers crossed I win it! :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results