shape
carat
color
clarity

1.09ct diamond 5 days old and chipped already!!!! Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

phiberoptik

Rough_Rock
A co-worker of mine just bought a 1.09 ct diamond and setting from a very reputable and long standing B&M here in Cincinnati. He picked it up at noon on Tuesday and proposed that night. Yesterday, Sunday, they were walking through the mall and took it to get it cleaned at a place offering free cleanings and by policy, before they clean the ring they inspect it under a scope to cover their own end incase the jewelry is already flawed

They told him the diamond was chipped/cracked just outside of one of the prongs on the edge. He called the jewelry store that sold it to him and they are not giving him a straight answer on their gaurantee. The receipt states they have a 15 day return policy. their website says they have a 30 day money back gaurantee if you are unhappy for any reason, but over the phone they are not being clear with him. He is on his way to confront them and show them the damage. The diamonds GIA cert said the girldle is Very Thin to Slightly Thick and he even pointed out the V. Thin to the sales lady and she said it shouldnt be an issue.

Should he expect to have the diamond replaced? What is the typical process in this situation? Diamonds are "forever" so how common is it for one to chip so easily. He said there is not one instance where she could have possibly bumped the ring into something hard enough to worry about. I would understand if she stepped on it on concrete or slammed her hand in the door.

Thoughts???

Thanks

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I give more hopeful news but I can''t. Doing a search on chipped diamonds here will bring out posts about how it doesn''t take much for a diamond to chip if you just get it at the right angle. Also, diamonds with VThin girdles and certain shapes (princess stones, for example) are also at a higher risk for chipping.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I managed to put a huge crack in my diamond by a slight wack on a metal filing cabinet, so it''s possible. It might also have been damaged when being mounted.

If they caused the damage, I don''t think the store has to take it back, since it''s not in the original condition. An appraiser can tell sometimes how it was caused.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hm ... if it''s just outside one of the prongs, that makes me wonder if it might have been a setting issue. Since they''re still within the return/exchange policy, it''s definitely worth talking to the store about it: the problem here is that it''s really hard to assign blame under the circumstances, given that it could have been the setter, or it could have been something as simple as knocking your hand against a counter. That''s not to say that the store won''t try (I''ll bet towards the latter)... but given that they''re within their rights, see if the store will live up to their policy, and, if necessary, consider bringing in an independent appraiser to see if they can tell you the likeliest source of the chip. Good luck ....

can you give us the name of the reputable BandM. Some chains or stores have policies that can be found online.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, it can happen with a smack just right. I would still see what the B&M has to say, though...good luck to them.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d return it and start over elsewhere.

phiberoptik

Rough_Rock
Good news for him, they are going to replace it with an equal or greater diamond. I dont know the details but its good to hear because I actually sent him there as they have a good reputation and I plan on making my purchase there.

The chipped diamond was beautiful though so Im excited to see what they replace it with...

phiberoptik

Rough_Rock
Richter & Phillips at 6th and Main St. in Cincinnati.

www.cincydiamonds.com is their loose diamond site as well.

Two thumbs up, but Im still waiting to see what they find him to replace it.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Just be sure that you get the replacement stone appraised independently BEFORE you approve/accept it...I think it''s great they seem to be doing the right thing but I would want the replacement stone appraised prior to accepting it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results