shape
carat
color
clarity

1.08 RB redux: some setting advice please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
hi all!... been busy living and dealing w/Life but wanted to check in & share my latest experiment. I''''ve finally found a place for the 1.08 J VS2 Premium from my first ''''e-ring''''. Its new pal is 1.09 J Si1 Premium and a near perfect match in all specs. My jeweler talked me into these WG basket threaded posts but I''''m less than thrilled. not to be a big grouseball but i wish i''''d gone with YG...yep.. even though it''''s not so hip and she warns that the stones will look smaller and possibly tinged. OTOH when i told her all my other pieces are YG(which i love) she said there would be so little metal that it wouldn''''t matter abt matching.

she did promise to change them to YG settings free of charge later but insisted that i try these first since "they are *the* best choice for these diamonds. period."
sigh.

So, I''''m thinking, maybe a WG martini? though, i''''m not sure how i feel about how martinis sink into the piercing. My ears are quite sturdy(read:huge), the holes are still quite tight...i don''''t have drooping problems with earrings. IMO, they''''re pierced sort of high too, in fact i''''m thinking of trying a YG basket with the post placed high of the center line(y''''know, where it''''s attached closer to the edge?) to move the stud lower on my lobe.

another Q: can martinis stretch piercings?

i know... ''''pics please?''''.. so here they are.
lol! comments and advice welcome, esp from other yellow gold or two-tone fans. best, ~k

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock

Jstudscol.jpg

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
last photo -

finally, an interesting compromise. this pic looks sort of doctored but has yellow gold with WG or rhodium(?) at the prong tips? has anyone seen this for stud earrings IRL?

TToneBaskYG.jpg

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Wow the stones look great!

I have a pair of martini earrings but I can''t really answer your question on whether they will stretch piercings. I would imagine your larger stone will contribute to a little bit of ''stretching''
3.gif

Are u able to try some martini style earrings to see if u like them?

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
hi jadeleaves,

I have tried 6.5mm martini-set sims and i''m split between neat-o and creepy on the effect. lol. L., the jeweler, also insists that martinis cut down on the stone''s light?

i''ve always read that it''s all about the light entering the top, so it shouldn''t matter, right? i''m also keeping in mind that L. is vehemently anti-bezel. so, i guess the martini kinda makes for a partial flesh bezel...

uh euuuw..''flesh bezel'' (''say it 5x fast'')...how gross does that sound? my apologies. lol.
37.gif
2.gif
5.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
On second thoughts, the setting u have the stones in at the moment is very similar to the martini setting - the only difference I can see is that the martini setting will sit a little deeper in your piercing, if that makes sense?

I love mine because they don''t droop, compared to basket settings!

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
thought this one posted in my OP. guess not. lol.

Jstuds7a.jpg

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/13/2006 1:48:17 PM
Author: jadeleaves
On second thoughts, the setting u have the stones in at the moment is very similar to the martini setting - the only difference I can see is that the martini setting will sit a little deeper in your piercing, if that makes sense?

I love mine because they don''t droop, compared to basket settings!

yeh, that''s why i''m wondering if they''ll stretch piercings over time(daily wear, sleeping in them etc). hmmm?

i have noticed that for many women martinis seem to be a G-dsend for the balancing issue. LOL. i think i''d have to be in the 8.5mm plus size range before any drooping set in. my ears are more like my father''s(RIP) were than my mom''s. She''s got tiny thin-lobed ears and everything pulls and droops with the least bit of weight.

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
so, i finally decided that i couldn''t live with the WG & took them back for re-set. this time went with the YG 3prong martini(Stuller i think?)..will post pics in SMTR soon
41.gif
-k

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
K, those are FIRECRACKER stones!! GOrgeous!!! I can''t offer any pierced ear-related help, but I am GLAD that you decided to get them in YG.....it''s YOU and they''ll be FAB!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
martini setting looks great.
36.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/13/2006 1:43:50 PM
Author:Jicky
hi all!... been busy living and dealing w/Life but wanted to check in & share my latest experiment.

I SO know what you mean!

Honestly, my little jewelry projects are such a stress reliever! I hope it''s helping you out, too, dear.
*hugs*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results