shape
carat
color
clarity

0.70 F VS2 Halo Pear Ring (Pendant Makeover)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello, PS! :wavey:

I've been meaning to do a SMTB thread or two for the few goodies I have, but have always put it off. I just got inquired about my avatar by Miss Audball, so I'm finally coming around to it for this one!

I was given a budget for my graduation present last summer, with the intent to allow me to upgrade my promise ring for a full 1 carat-er by my dear SO. (I always had a sneaking suspicion that he just forgot to get me a present, so he just gave me that excuse to save himself :nono:) My original promise ring is a 0.70 F VS2 (GIA) radiant in a replica of the old Cartier 1895 setting that he purchased for me when we first started talking about nuptials, and right before we moved in together to our own apartment. I used Pricescope on my smartphone in a local B&M jeweler's store to compare stats and prices, and negotiated a buy-back and upgrade policy. I guess SO had the intention that I would take my first ring, and combined with my graduation allowance, get a bigger rock with a prettier setting. :rolleyes: He totally ignored that I had told him a million times that prices went up the roof!

Basically, with my graduation moneys and the buy-back value combined, I could buy my own diamond back :!: So with his blessing, I just made myself a 2nd p-ring/"class ring". I don't know what to call it, and I don't really care for labels anyway :wacko:

I knew I loved the pear shape, and how it's a less common shape nowadays, so I called my jeweler, and had her bring in a few pears that were within my budget. I wanted a fat, short pear that was under a 1.5 ratio, but not TOO fat and short.

I was going to have a custom made cast setting made for a halo with plain shank, but I was getting antsy to have it done before a particular event I was attending. It had been already over a month past my graduation! So I had my jeweler's husband take a plain solitaire with a slightly tapered shank and a halo pendant, and solder the two together. In my excitement, it was perfect :love:, but now I'd like to redo it one day as the diamonds in the halo aren't evenly space, and I find the airline between my center stone and the halo quite annoying.

I am, however, very pleasantly surprised what a big difference a halo makes in the sense of finger coverage! And the fact that pears face up a tad larger, too :)

Stats:
0.70, F, VS2 (small white feather in the table, but it's only visible if I stare deeply and tilt at a certain angle)
7.47 x 5.12 x 3.15 mm
depth: 61.5%
table: 54%
medium to slightly thick, faceted girdle
no florescence

It is an EGL USA diamond, and I compared it with a GIA G and my own GIA F. It's definitely a tiny tinge more tinted than my F, but not as tinted as the couple of G's I had next to it. I knew that risk, though, and am happy with my ring.

My two babies next to each other
both.jpg
Handshot
pear_2.jpg

Thanks for letting me share!

MacroPear.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, you are on your second diamond ring and you aren't even engaged yet! Lucky girl! :love: :appl:

audball

Ideal_Rock
Thanks madelise! It's so pretty!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, DS, it wasn't meant to be this way! Life's timeline got altered a bit after a few obstacles :wink2: I was upset for a long while, but I've gotten over it. If it had gone the way of our first plan, I'd be married already!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both rings are stunning!!

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful!! Your haloed pear looks extremely elegant on your hand! Such a gorgeous shape. I love Katherine Heigl's ring and yours is very similar. May I ask what pointer size the stones are in your halo?

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Oooooooh!! I love pears!!

Can't believe you have two stunners and still have an engagement ring to get. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

You lucky girl!! Wear them both in great health.

:wavey:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
Wow, you are on your second diamond ring and you aren't even engaged yet! Lucky girl! :love: :appl:
seriously!!!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, you have more diamonds before you married than I do after 10 years of marriage!! I love the transformation and I'm a sucker for a pear!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Both of your rings are stunning! Love the pear one :love: :love: :love:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your compliments, Diamondseeker, Audball, Amys Bling, imasugarjunkie, oohsparkly,susimoo, yennyfire, and stargurl78!

oohsparkly, I <3 Katherine Heigl's ring. Hers was one I was ogling when I was searching for pictures! The receipt says the halo is 0.27 ctw and there are 16 of them :confused: so what does that make it? 1.6 ct each?

Yennyfire, really? I thought it was PS standard that everyone acquire as many baubles as possible! I remember seeing a thread that Phoenix started at the end of the year that showed everyone's purchases in just ONE YEAR! But I'd gladly trade you mine for yours any day, if you're ever feeling crazy :naughty:

I do find myself ridiculous for owning two rings, but I am the type that doesn't like to take off my necklace ever to change it, and I rotate enough between my two pairs of earrings, and don't really wear bracelets.. so rings were the only way to wear jewelry :!: I tried wearing this baby on my right hand as a RHR, but since I'm right handed, it ended up getting knocked around a bit. So IDC what others think, and answer their Q's if they ask. I don't mind that people mistaken me for being engaged, as I'm not available anyway.

And when people question my and SO's sanity, I am quick to reply that I prefer diamonds and gold, which can be sold for food in the case of a natural disaster, over the TH :$$):USANDS of $$$ that my friends, current and old classmates, and coworkers spend on Louis Vuitton, Gucci or Christian Louboutins. ;))

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your compliments, Diamondseeker, Audball, Amys Bling, imasugarjunkie, oohsparkly,susimoo, yennyfire, and stargurl78!

oohsparkly, I <3 Katherine Heigl's ring. Hers was one I was ogling when I was searching for pictures! The receipt says the halo is 0.27 ctw and there are 16 of them :confused: so what does that make it? 1.6 ct each?

Yennyfire, really? I thought it was PS standard that everyone acquire as many baubles as possible! I remember seeing a thread that Phoenix started at the end of the year that showed everyone's purchases in just ONE YEAR! But I'd gladly trade you mine for yours any day, if you're ever feeling crazy :naughty:

I do find myself ridiculous for owning two rings, but I am the type that doesn't like to take off my necklace ever to change it, and I rotate enough between my two pairs of earrings, and don't really wear bracelets.. so rings were the only way to wear jewelry :!: I tried wearing this baby on my right hand as a RHR, but since I'm right handed, it ended up getting knocked around a bit. So IDC what others think, and answer their Q's if they ask. I don't mind that people mistaken me for being engaged, as I'm not available anyway.

And when people question my and SO's sanity, I am quick to reply that I prefer diamonds and gold, which can be sold for food in the case of a natural disaster, over the TH :$$):USANDS of $$$ that my friends, current and old classmates, and coworkers spend on Louis Vuitton, Gucci or Christian Louboutins. ;))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! I love pears...especially colorless ones! :love:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
very pretty! I don't rotate a lot of pieces either. I have a pair of diamond studs, a diamond pendant that I wear almost everyday but like you I love rings and given the choice of upgrading the studs or necklace, or purchasing a new ring, I would choose ring every time!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results