shape
carat
color
clarity

“Wear it, don’t warehouse it!” Should I sell everything I don’t wear??

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm in the declutter boat with you sister - and it does feel like drowning. It will not get easier I'm afraid - we have just been gifted with a moving truck from my father in law of things from their 3500+ square foot house he sold after my mother in law passed. He now travels in an RV. We are now at 3 storage units. :wall: Feel free to pray for me. On a lighter note, all her jewelry fit into one small box. It has been fun to look at the pieces she had and the stories behind them. So.....I would like to encourage everyone to think about your family and buy more diamonds and less furniture :lol:

.......I need at least another book case if anyone is decluttering ....

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I once sold a ring because Bruce Springsteen finally came to NZ
i completly paniced didn't understand about ticket drops
i never really got over selling it.
It was much better quality than what ive recently brought

Shucks! I hope a more beautiful ring finds you in the future :)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in the declutter boat with you sister - and it does feel like drowning. It will not get easier I'm afraid - we have just been gifted with a moving truck from my father in law of things from their 3500+ square foot house he sold after my mother in law passed. He now travels in an RV. We are now at 3 storage units. :wall: Feel free to pray for me. On a lighter note, all her jewelry fit into one small box. It has been fun to look at the pieces she had and the stories behind them. So.....I would like to encourage everyone to think about your family and buy more diamonds and less furniture :lol:

I can get behind that philosophy!! Imagine if all we left behind was a box of bling! Who could fault that haha

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you mind sharing the details on one piece you’re missing and why you regret selling?

The one I miss the most is this large diamond paved heart pendant. It is beautifully made, bought nearly 20 years ago via an eBay online auction.

I lusted after one of these for years.

Sold it as I seldom wore it as it was too large and too blingy, and needed the money.

I have having a smaller one made as a replacement eventually.

Other pieces included the ones my mum had made for me. Again, seldom worn and sold them when I needed the money.

Likewise with my engagement ring.

And another pendant with a small diamond on it.

I wish I had kept them and re-purposed them instead.

Hey ho!

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shucks! I hope a more beautiful ring finds you in the future :)

Well ive brought a lot since from the mall
You know before PS
Sigh

I just hope who ever brought it (it would have made a nice ER) got it for a fare price and it brought somebody happiness

I hardly wore it saddly
I brought it when i used to work in Wellington
Every pay day id trot up the street to make a laybuy payment
It cost about 4 weeks wages in total at the time i got it

Its not that it was in vein - i mean i did get my Bruce ticket
Its just i know i got baddly ripped off selling it at cash converters

That's why im hanging onto an art deco style ring i hate the saphires (almost black)
For all id get for it id rather just buy replacement stones - doesnt have to be saphire

This is not necessarily throwing good money after bad as i love the setting :lol-2:
And i know i would have regrete letting it go

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to attach the pic of the heart pendant:

20201113_192021.jpg

I sigh every time I see a picture of this beautiful pendant. :cry2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

20201113_192021.jpg

Oh that's lovelly
:(2 sad sigh

Do you know anything of the person who brought it ?
Hopefully they are a lovelly person and are getting much joy from wearing it and it looks lovelly on her

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one I miss the most is this large diamond paved heart pendant. It is beautifully made, bought nearly 20 years ago via an eBay online auction.

I lusted after one of these for years.

Sold it as I seldom wore it as it was too large and too blingy, and needed the money.

I have having a smaller one made as a replacement eventually.

Other pieces included the ones my mum had made for me. Again, seldom worn and sold them when I needed the money.

Likewise with my engagement ring.

And another pendant with a small diamond on it.

I wish I had kept them and re-purposed them instead.

Hey ho!

Hugs. So much of the bling journey is a learning process eh? Thanks for sharing <3

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that's lovelly
:(2 sad sigh

Do you know anything of the person who brought it ?
Hopefully they are a lovelly person and are getting much joy from wearing it and it looks lovelly on her

Sold it to someone in UK for way under what it is worth, she took it to be evaluated and said she was happy with it. :roll2:

It would have cost way more had she had to buy it new in UK! Happy my backside! :roll2:

It is 18K WG with at least 2cttw of diamonds if not more. The size mentioned earlier did not include the bail!

*sobs*

DK :cry2:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

20201113_192021.jpg

Having a picture makes it harder to forget! <3

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I met my husband & we moved into our house here, I sold everything my ex had bought for me. He was a very wealthy man & I had some serious bling, but I felt it would be in bad taste to keep them.

However I have regretted it dreadfully ever since. Those pieces were beautiful, exceptional quality & valuable. I eBayed the lot for less than half their worth, just to get rid. In hindsight there were things I would still enjoy to wear & things I might have had fun dismantling & rebuilding new iterations of. We weren't engaged, purely because it was coldly discussed like a business transaction & that's not what I wanted, which made me firm with my intentions never to marry, but I did wear a 9mm wide 18ct yellow gold heavy band, studded with amazing diamonds 3/4 of the way around, on my ring finger. That ring was mind blowing & I miss it desperately.

Don't act in haste if you don't need the funds. As others have said, tastes change over the years & even now I reach for things I haven't worn for donkeys. I also have 2 magpie daughters who mooch in my jewellery often, so one day they might chose something they love that perhaps I don't? My mother has never sold a single thing & that means so much to me, as my father bought it all for her over the years before he died. My memories are attached to her things & I can remember certain occasions when he gifted her things & how happy she was in that moment.

ETA. I did keep one pair of earrings, which are antique diamonds in 18ct lever back settings. I kept them purely because the diamonds mesmerised me - this was way before PS & I had no idea about hand cut diamonds, I just knew they were special. I still wear them when I'm going out somewhere fancy & my husband couldn't give a crap. If I knew he felt like that, I'd have kept EVERYTHING :((

Last edited:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I met my husband & we moved into our house here, I sold everything my ex had bought for me. He was a very wealthy man & I had some serious bling, but I felt it would be in bad taste to keep them.

However I have regretted it dreadfully ever since. Those pieces were beautiful, exceptional quality & valuable. I eBayed the lot for less than half their worth, just to get rid. In hindsight there were things I would still enjoy to wear & things I might have had fun dismantling & rebuilding new iterations of. We weren't engaged, purely because it was coldly discussed like a business transaction & that's not what I wanted, which made me firm with my intentions never to marry, but I did wear a 9mm wide 18ct yellow gold heavy band, studded with amazing diamonds 3/4 of the way around, on my ring finger. That ring was mind blowing & I miss it desperately.

Don't act in haste if you don't need the funds. As others have said, tastes change over the years & even now I reach for things I haven't worn for donkeys. I also have 2 magpie daughters who mooch in my jewellery often, so one day they might chose something they love that perhaps I don't? My mother has never sold a single thing & that means so much to me, as my father bought it all for her over the years before he died. My memories are attached to her things & I can remember certain occasions when he gifted her things & how happy she was in that moment.

ETA. I did keep one pair of earrings, which are antique diamonds in 18ct lever back settings. I kept them purely because the diamonds mesmerised me - this was way before PS & I had no idea about hand cut diamonds, I just knew they were special. I still wear them when I'm going out somewhere fancy & my husband couldn't give a crap. If I knew he felt like that, I'd have kept EVERYTHING :((

Oh man, I can totally imagine missing all that stuff. I sold all my ex’s given-to-me jewellery. I felt it best to keep the past in the past.

The quality was nowhere near what your ex gave you though.

But my husband would not have cared if I had kept it all! Oops!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh man, I can totally imagine missing all that stuff. I sold all my ex’s given-to-me jewellery. I felt it best to keep the past in the past.

The quality was nowhere near what your ex gave you though.

But my husband would not have cared if I had kept it all! Oops!

You'd have thought we'd have learned by now that men don't even NOTICE let alone care! :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sold it to someone in UK for way under what it is worth, she took it to be evaluated and said she was happy with it. :roll2:

It would have cost way more had she had to buy it new in UK! Happy my backside! :roll2:

It is 18K WG with at least 2cttw of diamonds if not more. The size mentioned earlier did not include the bail!

*sobs*

DK :cry2:

Oh dear
:(2

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have sold off half of my ring and bracelet collection. No regrets. Now I have half the collection of things I still never wear. But the remaining pieces are special to me in some way. IMHO If it's special keep it, if it's so-so then it can go.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't get rid of your stuff just yet, especially if you have children you can pass it to. I didn't not think my daughter was going to want my jewelry but in the last few years she has taken on my passion for jewelry so I will pass my things on to her and have started with a few things already.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There have been a couple pieces I sold that I then later regretted; a ceylon sapphire ring, and the emerald ring I had made. And yes I can't replace either one for the price I sold them at so I'm not going to even try. I'm not wearing the tsavorite ring I have because it's really a going out ring. I am thinking with a vaccine things will open up in less than a year and then have a reason to wear it plus I always wanted a large tsavorite so it scratches that collectors itch. I still wear the 3 stone ring I made almost every day and so I have no regrets regarding that. But yes make a list. Get rid of the stuff that you are OK with parting with. If it is things that you might wear when Covid lifts maybe wait 6 months or so before making a decision, unless it falls in the first category (stuff you wouldn't miss).

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't sell a lot because I can think of scenarios where I might need it. But usually I end up not. I want to be able to let go of stuff that I am not currently wearing, and can't see myself ever wearing again. I don't think I am a collector, because I don't like to keep things for the sake of having it. I want to know that I love it enough to wear it. Otherwise, it's a distraction to me, from the pieces I really love.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results