shape
carat
color
clarity

“Uniform” or Capsule Wardrobe

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone. Has anyone decided to wear the same thing every day (eg your own uniform) or has anyone greatly downsized their clothing choices using the capsule wardrobe concept? I’m curious about the bare minimum of pieces you feel happy wearing and what they are.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yep, me! I talked about it a little bit in an earlier post: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/anybody-here-a-minimalist.234357/#post-4219726\

Edit to add:

My everyday spring wardrobe contains the following basic neutrals:
1-2 pair of jeans, currently US (Universal Standard) 32" Seine distressed blue jeans and US Meuse black resin cropped jeans for more dressy denim
3 plain US Tee and Vee Rex tshirts (stone, black, grey)
3 dressier short sleeve blouses (floral, print)
2 day time dresses
1 pair neutral casual ballet flats
1 pair sneakers
1 pair black sandals (I'd like to get a brown leather pair, too)

My work wardrobe for days I have to wear a suit:
2 pairs identical dress pants (one grey, one black)
4-5 blouses that go with either grey or black
2 work-type dresses
1 black blazer (to throw over whatever I'm wearing if I have to see a client)
pointy black Rothy flats

Of course, I have a couple of options for special occasions, working out, pjs. But that's the workhorse basics. It is SO EASY to get ready in the morning when I can just reach in and pick whatever mix and match top + bottom, or dress, and then go.

Last edited:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
4 pairs of shoes: althletic, sandals, winter boots, flip flops. About 10 grey t-shirts and 4 pairs of jeans. That's it. :eek2:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Currently trying one (and loving it!). For work I’m wearing 2 pairs of black jeans, one each of a black, white and grey crew neck tshirt, a black balloon sleeve top, white long sleeved shirt, grey crew neck jumper, a dusty pink coat, navy blue coat, long line shawl collar navy cardigan and a blue leather jacket. A pair of black boots low block heel, another pair pierced leather even lower block heel, stan smith sneakers. I have three different scarves to mix it up with. Travelling is super easy to pack for, everything goes, the relief I’m feeling in the mornings is surprising but very welcome.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone, this information is very helpful!

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I do a modified version of this at home, but definitely use a capsule for packing for trips.
I buy solid colors, traditional styles, and only natural fabrics in the best quality I can afford. Cotton, silk, linen and cashmere. Accessorize with quality scarves, shoes and bags. I use a Tod's black bag in winter and a neutral Tory Burch in summer. Probably had too many shoes though.
This website is fun:
http://www.theviviennefiles.com

This is what I used for a recent 3 week trip:
https://classyyettrendy.com/2017/03/9-pieces-10-outfits-french-minimalist-style.html/

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't heard of this before but I love the concept! I'm always frustrated with choosing what to wear, then unhappy about what I chose to wear that day. Having a few staples of well fitted and flattering clothes sounds like a dream come true!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not me, I have masses of clothes :lol:

Same! but I don't wear most of them :roll2:

Haha same here. I am a minimalist at heart but I keep doing what I can to help the economy. :whistle::lol:
And I don't wear most of my clothes but I do go through it all every year or so and give bags and bags away to goodwill and other charities. Stuff with the labels on them so hopefully someone gets use of my purchasing skills.:wink2:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not heard of this "capsule" thing you are talking about.
Back in the day, they were called wardrobe staples.
I guess we 50-somethings are out of the loop!

However I do rotate about 3 pairs of jeans, about 6-8 shirts, and one pair of dress slacks. And 3 pairs of black shoes.
Everything is predominately black or neutral, except for the jeans.
I do have loads of clothes, but I keep reaching for these same items over and over.

P

PierreBear

Yep, me! I talked about it a little bit in an earlier post: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/anybody-here-a-minimalist.234357/#post-4219726\

Edit to add:

My everyday spring wardrobe contains the following basic neutrals:
1-2 pair of jeans, currently US (Universal Standard) 32" Seine distressed blue jeans and US Meuse black resin cropped jeans for more dressy denim
3 plain US Tee and Vee Rex tshirts (stone, black, grey)
3 dressier short sleeve blouses (floral, print)
2 day time dresses
1 pair neutral casual ballet flats
1 pair sneakers
1 pair black sandals (I'd like to get a brown leather pair, too)

My work wardrobe for days I have to wear a suit:
2 pairs identical dress pants (one grey, one black)
4-5 blouses that go with either grey or black
2 work-type dresses
1 black blazer (to throw over whatever I'm wearing if I have to see a client)
pointy black Rothy flats

Of course, I have a couple of options for special occasions, working out, pjs. But that's the workhorse basics. It is SO EASY to get ready in the morning when I can just reach in and pick whatever mix and match top + bottom, or dress, and then go.

Hello! Thanks for spelling out your wardrobe and breaking it out between casual and work. It sounds classy and well put together outfits! @elizabethess - May I ask you for any tips on where to get blouses or how you get those to stay tucked in to your pants or skirts? I tend to go for a dress + blazer if I need to go with professional wear because I can't ever figure out the blouse and skirt/pants outfit since I'm always trying to make sure things are tightly tucked and not wrinkled. How do ya'll do it?! :think:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you gals miss finding “fun” pieces of clothing to wear for ... whatever occasion?

Were clothes never your thing? Were they a burden to you?

I’m asking because I am very intrigued by this concept and I think it could simplify my life but I also really love shopping for clothes, maybe too much. I’m trying to get a gauge on how you felt going into this process. If you don’t mind sharing, of course.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello! Thanks for spelling out your wardrobe and breaking it out between casual and work. It sounds classy and well put together outfits! @elizabethess - May I ask you for any tips on where to get blouses or how you get those to stay tucked in to your pants or skirts? I tend to go for a dress + blazer if I need to go with professional wear because I can't ever figure out the blouse and skirt/pants outfit since I'm always trying to make sure things are tightly tucked and not wrinkled. How do ya'll do it?! :think:

I too wear dresses and tunics and crop tops so I never have to wear anything tucked in but here are some tips for you @PierreBear . Hope you find them helpful.

https://fashionista.com/2014/08/keep-shirt-tucked-how-to

And then there's the 1970s solution. We used to wear bodysuits as tops and those always stay looking neat and tucked in haha.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you gals miss finding “fun” pieces of clothing to wear for ... whatever occasion?

I’m asking because I am very intrigued by this concept and I think it could simplify my life but I also really love shopping for clothes, maybe too much. I’m trying to get a gauge on how you felt going into this process. If you don’t mind sharing, of course.

@House Cat this is a good question because like you I love shopping. The thrill of the hunt even more than the actual wearing of the clothes. And I aspire to be a minimalist not just at heart but in reality so yes please ladies, share your thoughts on how to achieve this.

What my dh does is when he buys something new he gets rid of another piece of clothing in his wardrobe and he strictly sticks to that so his closets are always in order and efficient. Maybe that is what we have to do. Buy something new and discard something else...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I pretty much do already. The only thing that changes is what color the top part is.

P

PierreBear

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
100% yes. When I started a few years ago everything I bought was black, gray, and red. For work I bought 5 high-waisted circle skirts, 10 tops to tuck in (a mix of blouses and button ups), 5 dresses in the fit and flare style, and 5 pair of ballet flats. Literally life changing. Everything fit, everything went together, I felt cute and comfortable, and I NEVER HAD TO THINK ABOUT WHAT TO WEAR.

Now that I'm more comfortable with my capsule, I've added blue and pink into the mix. I still probably have too many clothes, but I justify it by telling myself that I now live somewhere with 4 seasons and I have spring clothes and winter clothes and that's okay lol.

I have always enjoyed shopping, but I have a very hard to fit body (very exaggerated hourglass), so I had to alter almost everything I bought to fit properly, which took the fun out of getting something new. I only really subscribe to the capsule "work wardrobe" and buy fun pieces and stuff out of my capsule colors for not work clothes (though I still really trend toward wearing the same styles out of work, just a more casual version).

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
May I ask you for any tips on where to get blouses or how you get those to stay tucked in to your pants or skirts? I tend to go for a dress + blazer if I need to go with professional wear because I can't ever figure out the blouse and skirt/pants outfit since I'm always trying to make sure things are tightly tucked and not wrinkled. How do ya'll do it?! :think:

For my general style and body shape I don't tuck! My go-to blouse silhouette, a bit looser with an elastic or otherwise finished waistband that hits at the upper hip. Very similar to this (quick google search):

z6GhjQRbps.jpg

That style hangs better on my curves; anything too fitted or with buttons down the front draws a lot of attention to my chest.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I have lots of clothes, I have specific clothes for specific occasions.

We go on cruises, so my cruise clothes are not necessarily things I wear much at home. They tend to be in certain colours, which cuts down on the amount of shoes I have to take.

When we went to China for a the first time, we were travelling every 3-4 days, so I only took black, white & grey to make things easier.

I regularly go through my wardrobes and thin them out, and take things to the charity shop.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, during the week I wear yoga pants, tshirt and flipflops, does this count? I telework and don't really have much of a "work wardrobe" anymore. Then there's gym gear, and some travel gear. I don't really have a lot of clothes anymore.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock

Clothes were never a huge thing for me.
The burden for me was the shopping. I am not a recreational shopper.
I hate wasting money so if I made a mistake it bothered me seeing something that did not get worn.
Once I made my rules (classic style, good fabric, basic colors) it made my life so much easier!
I love that almost every piece works with almost everything else. I love having fewer clothes of high quality that get worn frequently. It makes packing for trips very simple (and we travel 8-12 weeks per year).

It really depends on things like your workplace dress code and your social circle. Plus some people really enjoy fashion/shopping and like having a new look frequently.
If you enjoy shopping and fashion---have fun with it!

P

PierreBear

Hello! In the work setting, we wear business casual. Most of the times due to the hot climate, I favor wearing skirts and dresses. Even though it's a dress I might have purchased for a night out, I still wear it to the office, although I feel overdressed sometime. However, dresses are comfortable and makes me feel confident and I want to use them as much as possible instead of saving it for a special occasion. So to answer your question, I don't miss "fun pieces" since I try to incorporate it into my wardrobe as much as possible.

Clothes aren't my favorite thing and used to get swayed by "sales/discounts". If you wait long enough, everything goes on sale though so I don't feel pressured by that anymore. It feels like a chore to shop but I appreciate finding something that fits well and makes me feel confident. I don't purchase something though unless it is different from what I already have in my closet and I am excited to wear. I also have a philosophy that if I haven't worn it once in a year, I need to give it away. Good luck with your clothes process! I hope you find a system that works for you that brings you joy.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For those of you who do this, can I ask if you have any particula brands you favor? I ask because I think one of the reasons why my wardsrobe frustrates me is because I buy things that doesn't fit me well and/or not the best quality. I end up buying too many things that I rarely wear because they are not flattering, comfortable, whatever.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Babyblue033 -- sorry for the novel, but you asked.:lol: Getting dressed for work was always SUCH a struggle for me until I started my work capsule. I am borderline plus size and can wear straight and plus size clothes, so some of my recommendations might not apply to you, but I shop at:
ModCloth (circle skirts)
Eloquii (dresses, circle skirts, blouses)
Gap/Old Navy (button downs)
Anthropologie (dresses, blouses)
Nordstrom-I buy everything else from Nordstrom for the most part.

Find what styles look good on you and what you gravitate towards. When I started, I pulled out all my go-tos from my closet and saw the pattern: fitted at the waist with an A-line skirt. All of my pants went completely unworn. I could never find the right shirt shape on my hourglass frame with pencil skirts, so mine didn't get worn. All of my brown items or brown adjacent items, same. Just take a look at what you have and what you already like, and expand on that to start. Look at what you have that you don't like, feel comfortable in, and make a don't buy list. That's just as important. In my heart, I love blush colored clothes. On my face, blush makes me look like a literal corpse. I had to add it to my don't buy list, though it broke my heart. I consoled myself by buying a super pale blush handbag.

I wouldn't worry too much about buying quality pieces until you nail down the style and fit that work for you, and then you can start your quality purchases. For me - I consider pretty much all tops disposable. I only invest in high quality dresses and skirts. All my tops last 1-2 years, maybe, before I've destroyed them with marinara sauce or salad dressing, so I don't bother spending money on those. I have a girlfriend who won't spend more than $40 on a dress. Find what you prioritize and spend money on those pieces long term.

I also highly recommend tailoring. It's more expensive on the front end, but less expensive than something sitting unworn in your closet.

WeeOui

Rough_Rock
Premium
I’m a minimalist at heart, but I haven’t been able to stick to a capsule wardrobe. I do, however, stick to a minimalistic color palette. I’m drawn to black, shades of soft gray, cream, and camel, and I have very little color in my closet. I love the way my jewelry and my chain strap bags really stand out against these colors.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Hmmm. I've always cared about what clothes I wear, but my general style is pretty streamlined (I don't like layers, scarves, more than one or two accessories. My hair is usually my 'statement piece'... most recently auburn with lavender). I kind of naturally evolved into it. At one point I went through a period where things were tight, financially, and that whittled my wardrobe down significantly--if a pair of pants wore out I didn't replace unless I didn't have any other acceptable pants left--which was the very beginning of it for me. I got used to having less, out of necessity. I few years ago I came across a blog called UNFANCY which introduced the concept of a capsule to me. That was close to what I was already doing, but more intentional. I read this article about a woman who decided to wear a work uniform and it really spoke to me. So, since then it's been an intentional choice, especially now that my disposable income has increased.

@House Cat this is a good question because like you I love shopping. The thrill of the hunt even more than the actual wearing of the clothes. And I aspire to be a minimalist not just at heart but in reality so yes please ladies, share your thoughts on how to achieve this.

I have to say, like you and House Cat, my dear mom is a lover of shopping! She loves the thrill of the hunt, finding a new fun piece, or a great markdown, and has a walk in closet jam-packed with clothes! So, it's not like I was raised this way :D I wouldn't ever try to change her style or make her feel bad about how she shops. That's what makes her happy, the way being streamlined makes me happy! I think sometimes people falsely imbue minimalism with being "good" or something they "should" do, but I say do whatever makes you happy!

If you or anyone wants to give it a try, maybe just experiment for a month: pick some basics--only things that fit great and make you feel fabulous-- maybe do one last shopping trip for a piece or two, and tuck the rest of your clothes away in a bin or another closet for the duration of the try-out. Just see how it feels! You might hate it, or you might love it?

Last edited:

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’m a minimalist at heart, but I haven’t been able to stick to a capsule wardrobe. I do, however, stick to a minimalistic color palette. I’m drawn to black, shades of soft gray, cream, and camel, and I have very little color in my closet. I love the way my jewelry and my chain strap bags really stand out against these colors.

I added blush and navy to my standard gray, camel and black last year and it was a big deal! :lol:

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The burden for me was the shopping. I am not a recreational shopper.
I hate wasting money so if I made a mistake it bothered me seeing something that did not get worn.
Once I made my rules (classic style, good fabric, basic colors) it made my life so much easier!
I love that almost every piece works with almost everything else. I love having fewer clothes of high quality that get worn frequently. It makes packing for trips very simple (and we travel 8-12 weeks per year).

Are you my secret twin?!

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Now that I'm more comfortable with my capsule, I've added blue and pink into the mix. I still probably have too many clothes, but I justify it by telling myself that I now live somewhere with 4 seasons and I have spring clothes and winter clothes and that's okay lol.

Yeah, living somewhere with varying weather, I get that. I rework things at the beginning of each season. Extra out-of-season clothes get put away so that they don't clutter my closet and get in the way when I'm bleary-eyed and trying to get dressed in the a.m. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results