shape
carat
color
clarity

“Quirks” that someone in your family has..THAT DRIVE YOU CRAZY!!!

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
This is infuriating and embarrassing... my Mom spends 3 hours washing, blow drying and curling her hair..
BEFORE GOING TO THE HAIRDRESSER!!!! Every d—n time, this drives my sister and I crazy!!! :confused::confused::wall:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My quirk that drives me crazy is I have to clean for the cleaning people. It's true LOL. My rationale is that they won't clean around my clutter so I must organize before they come. It's a real hassle. And I admit to vacuuming the day before too because with 4 kitties even going one day without vacuuming can be embarrassing. :oops2:

So it's my quirk that drives me cuckoo but I don't see a way around it.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My quirk that drives me crazy is I have to clean for the cleaning people. It's true LOL. My rationale is that they won't clean around my clutter so I must organize before they come. It's a real hassle. And I admit to vacuuming the day before too because with 4 kitties even going one day without vacuuming can be embarrassing. :oops2:

I used to do that too. And then sometimes after she left I would clean up the stuff I didn’t think she did right. Like I’m picky about my wood floors and I can see stains/footprints/water drops other people can’t. So I would go over the floors again.
Yes, I’m nuts!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to do that too. And then sometimes after she left I would clean up the stuff I didn’t think she did right. Like I’m picky about my wood floors and I can see stains/footprints/water drops other people can’t. So I would go over the floors again.
Yes, I’m nuts!

Omg yes I admit to this too. No one can do it as good as us. But I’m willing to “settle” as truth be told I get terrible allergic reactions when I clean intensely. Light vacuuming is generally safe but if I dust or do more my eczema and asthma flare to a significant degree.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This isn't really fair, because my sister has serious mental health issues, but she blames everyone else in the world for anything that goes wrong for her. We are estranged. The last thing she ever said to me was "You are so NORMAL!". Okay. In her mind that was a bad thing.:eek2:

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
@missy—pre-cleaning for the cleaners is totally reasonable. We pay ours a set fee. They will spend a certain amount of time for that fixed fee (varies because it’s not an hourly rate). We want them to concentrate on the deeper cleaning—not the basic clutter, dishes or other day-to-day items.

A few people I know drive me batty with their inability to tell a story in a straight line or get to the point. Usually after a 5-10 minute or longer explanation, I want to tell the he person that they really only needed 30 seconds...

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
my future mother in law can be sitting quietly, reading or watching tv and then she just goes "mmm-hmmm" to herself as if to confirm something.
My partner does it sometimes too. Its really irrational but it can make me want to bite his head off.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad insists that allergies don't exist and people just need to dress more warmly to avoid catching colds. :wall::wall::wall:

My dad too! It was especially problematic when I was a child because I have a citrus allergy (it won't kill me but it makes me scratch like a monkey). I'd be scratching and Dad would say, there's something wrong with that kid -- she must be getting sick or something, give her a big glass of orange juice. Lather... rinse... repeat... scratchscratchscratch!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad insists that allergies don't exist and people just need to dress more warmly to avoid catching colds. :wall::wall::wall:

Hahaha reminds me of a quirk my dad has...he insists if I just ate meat my health would improve. :geek2: :lol:

@missy—pre-cleaning for the cleaners is totally reasonable. We pay ours a set fee. They will spend a certain amount of time for that fixed fee (varies because it’s not an hourly rate). We want them to concentrate on the deeper cleaning—not the basic clutter, dishes or other day-to-day items.

A few people I know drive me batty with their inability to tell a story in a straight line or get to the point. Usually after a 5-10 minute or longer explanation, I want to tell the he person that they really only needed 30 seconds...

I can see that making sense in your case for sure...we pay ours a set fee though.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad too! It was especially problematic when I was a child because I have a citrus allergy (it won't kill me but it makes me scratch like a monkey). I'd be scratching and Dad would say, there's something wrong with that kid -- she must be getting sick or something, give her a big glass of orange juice. Lather... rinse... repeat... scratchscratchscratch!!!

OMG that is horrible and hilarious at the same time! :shock::lol:

@missy my dad would probably tell me the same thing if I went vegetarian.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
My mom has some very ridgid views on etiquette. For example, I hired a caterer for my sister’s baby shower and it was going to be a cocktail hour. Middle of the afternoon. People wandering the crowd with plates of craving themed appetizers (tacos, spring rolls, little cups of tomato soup with grilled cheese, sliders etc) there was also a dessert station and a candy bar.

My mom was horrified. Our guests will think we’re so incredibly rude for not offering a lunch at 2:00 pm. She ran to the grocery store for cold cuts, pickles, and dinner rolls.

Nobody touched her food. She said she was relieved it was there just in case.

She means well, but it drives me bonkers.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not about my family... But at my place of work, there is a person who sits near me, who unfortunately often has strong BO. It is driving me to distraction. The mornings can sometimes start out okay, but by mid-day, the odor is strong.

Initially I discreetly contacted her leader, who said she spoke to her, but I noticed no improvements. I try to use a desk fan to blow air around, but I can still smell the odor. Others notice it too but it seems to bother them less. I'm not sure what else to do... I may have to move I guess.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cyberspace isn't big enough for me to answer this question.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My husband and kids all have "restless leg syndrome". They are constantly shaking.....drives me crazy! I don't think it is a medical condition in their case, because they stop when I tell them to stop.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not about my family... But at my place of work, there is a person who sits near me, who unfortunately often has strong BO. It is driving me to distraction. The mornings can sometimes start out okay, but by mid-day, the odor is strong.

Initially I discreetly contacted her leader, who said she spoke to her, but I noticed no improvements. I try to use a desk fan to blow air around, but I can still smell the odor. Others notice it too but it seems to bother them less. I'm not sure what else to do... I may have to move I guess.

Oh yeah I've had a few of those are work, usually sweaty men :sick: who just never seem to use enough deodorant. Women with strong cheap shitty perfume also horrid to sit near! Our receptionist is lovely but has the worst case of dandruff ever and seems to only wash her long dark hair literally once a week so it's always super sweaty, greasy & flakey. She has a myriad of health problems so we let it slide but gosh I just want to give her a bottle of Head & Shoulders one day... :shifty:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grammar Nazi, here!!! :wavey:
I cannot stand when people do not know how to speak correctly, use proper use of words in the correct context, cannot spell, or fail to put a complete sentence together, cohesively, and coherently.
Most commonly used pet peeve of mine: “Could/Should have went....”
GAH!! JUST KILL ME NOW!!!
I find it difficult not to interject & say, “Could/Should have GONE!!” :nono:
I work with women older than I am who cannot take a clear & legible message, type it, correctly, and send it off to the appropriate recipient. It’s MADDENING!!
**If any of you are wondering if I sit behind my screen & proof-read spelling, punctuation, and grammar in posts all over this forum...I DO!!** However, I refrain from commenting corrections...lol!! :lol-2:

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I cannot stand when people do not know how to speak correctly, use proper use of words in the correct context, cannot spell, or fail to put a complete sentence together, cohesively, and coherently.
I work with women older than I am who cannot take a clear & legible message, type it, correctly, and send it off to the appropriate recipient. It’s MADDENING!!
**If any of you are wondering if I sit behind my screen & proof-read spelling, punctuation, and grammar in posts all over this forum...I DO!!** However, I refrain from commenting corrections...lol!! :lol-2:
Me too!! My husband KILLS me with "Me and him went" or something was done "on accident"...or by peoples' use of the word bit, "Don't get bit" :eek2: ...or people who can't use apostrophes correctly, I see it all the time, even on TV....drives me BATS. I've come to the conclusion that most people don't think grammar is important anymore and it doesn't matter to them that it makes other people think they are ignorant.

And like @jaysonsmom that drives me crazy too. I have misophonia, so ANY repetitive sounds or movements will put me into high gear. I used to have a coworker that would sniffle every 15 seconds, all f*g day. That lasted about half a day before I had to be moved. Clicking of pens, gum chewing, coin jingling, tapping, useless leg movements when I can either see it or feel it, and oral sounds of any kind drive me insane. Luckily my husband has come to learn to avoid most of these things, but he still slurps and eats with his mouth open on occasion and I have to leave the room.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock

Lol that is my mom. She insists that my niece should wear a jacket. My niece has a skin condition where she should avoid getting too hot. My mom doesn’t believe that viruses cause colds and flus. :roll2:

My dad drives me batty, too. In every single conversation, he talks about God. Since retirement, he has too much time on his hands, and takes Christianity classes. He writes long emails about what he learned. My brother and I are agnostic. I learned to just ignore him.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
My father; 30% of what he says is followed by him smiling and repeating it word for word in a whisper to himself. Meaning a lot of the time he just speaks from his heart and doesnt examine it until after. The whispering and sh*% eating grin on his face makes me always want to yell at him, "What the heck are you doing???"

My fiance; Hes an attorney, so youd think that hed be great at being confrontational in any situation if it warranted it and was caused by innapropriate behavior on behalf of the other party....WELL.... for everything BUT eating out he can. Let me explain; if our waiter or waitress is rude or awful and neglects our table....or makes a large mistake by charging us double (strangely this has happened twice in the last week and a half.) My beau just cannot speak up about it. If its any other situation then I have such a smart and confident man on my side who will help...but anything happens on behalf of a resturant or server that isnt right and im the one that has to say something about it. Its very odd actually!

My Mom; This is kinda funny as its the opposite of some of y'alls answers but my mother is the type where if yout cannot get to the point within 5 seconds of speaking she will definetely let you know that she values her time! It annoys me so much because I feel that some stories or points of interest need context and its just so dang rude! Sometimes shell "sigh" and at that point i wont even feel like shes listening. She only does this with her immediate family though so to everyone else she looks like an angel! Haha

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I sorry.
But you will not get bored if Im around you will have a lot to correct!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I could write a book, but then I guess that makes me seem really intolerant!( < hmm, I want to spellcheck that word right there, but think I'll risk it to keep @Matthews1127 entertained)
Top quirks that come to mind though:
My best friend is indecisive about everything no matter how minute. "Should I get the red or the blue?" Me: the blue. Her "but I really like the red one too". Shoot me. Why ask?

Mom will stay in a hotel and completely clean the room and make the bed before we leave. I have tried to tell her she's wasting her time!! And at restaurants, she piles up the dishes. .. and wipes the table..plus leaves huge tips?! Why???

My husband is a neat freak, if I'm drinking something and leave my drink on the counter to go to another room, when I get back : drink gone, cup in the washer. Now, I try to get his attention "I'm still drinking this coffee, don't dump it"!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think I would discretely pull her aside, and as kindly as possible tell her that she may not be aware she has a problem, but you know if it was you, you’d hope someone would tell you.

Then hand her a large can of deodorant, and run :P2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is low talking a quirk? I hate trying to listen to "low talkers" and we all know some don't we? They speak so softly that you cannot possibly hear unless you lean all the way in and even then it's challenging and you miss words. I always say excuse me, please speak up but still some people no matter what speak too softly and I cannot hear them. My hearing is normal by the way. So if low talking qualifies as a quirk count me in as not caring for that quirk at all.

lowtalker.jpg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I do the same thing..I’m embarrassed about all the dog hair so I Swiffer all the floors so it looks like I actually did something since last cleaning..which I have...It just doesn’t look like it...My mom and husband think it looks like they came the night before they do come..I’m just ducking things so they can clean faster..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is low talking a quirk? I hate trying to listen to "low talkers" and we all know some don't we? They speak so softly that you cannot possibly hear unless you lean all the way in and even then it's challenging and you miss words. I always say excuse me, please speak up but still some people no matter what speak too softly and I cannot hear them. My hearing is normal by the way. So if low talking qualifies as a quirk count me in as not caring for that quirk at all.

lowtalker.jpg
Haha..I could never be a low talker..I get excited and my voice goes up so I try to make mine lower..My husband talks to me from another room and I can’t hear him so I have to go to where he is to hear him..and my hearing is fine..:think: Maybe he’s a low talker.. :lol: It makes me crazy..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results