shape
carat
color
clarity

“Quirks” that someone in your family has..THAT DRIVE YOU CRAZY!!!

angeljosephy

Rough_Rock
Premium
I could write a book, but then I guess that makes me seem really intolerant!( < hmm, I want to spellcheck that word right there, but think I'll risk it to keep @Matthews1127 entertained)
Top quirks that come to mind though:
My best friend is indecisive about everything no matter how minute. "Should I get the red or the blue?" Me: the blue. Her "but I really like the red one too". Shoot me. Why ask?

Mom will stay in a hotel and completely clean the room and make the bed before we leave. I have tried to tell her she's wasting her time!! And at restaurants, she piles up the dishes. .. and wipes the table..plus leaves huge tips?! Why???

My husband is a neat freak, if I'm drinking something and leave my drink on the counter to go to another room, when I get back : drink gone, cup in the washer. Now, I try to get his attention "I'm still drinking this coffee, don't dump it"!

This is so funny about your husband but my husband is the complete opposite; he will be drinking a cup of water in our room, go out for a toilet break, come back with a new cup of water, go out to pet the dog, come back with yet another cup of water... Each of the cups will be half full and it drives me nuts.:lol-2:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so funny about your husband but my husband is the complete opposite; he will be drinking a cup of water in our room, go out for a toilet break, come back with a new cup of water, go out to pet the dog, come back with yet another cup of water... Each of the cups will be half full and it drives me nuts.:lol-2:

I do that. I also pour coffe in the am and forget it somewhere half consumed and then go make a cup of tea because I've forgotten about the coffee. I'm sure I'm the one with the quirks that drive my partner nuts. :loopy:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother has always driven us crazy with this one habit. Even now at 80 she still manages to do it.
We are going out, we are leaving the house to go out in the car. We all could have “sworn” Mum went out the front door already - yes but no.
Where is she?
She gone back inside to
Make sure she didn’t leave the iron on
Make sure the milk is in the fridge
Make sure she locked the back door
Make sure she turned off the bathroom light
Make sure the cat is inside
Make sure the dog is outside
Make sure that there is nobody left in the house
So we are always sitting waiting for Mum.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, boy. I hope you'll forgive me for this:

"Grammar Nazi here! I cannot stand when people do not know how to speak correctly, use proper words in the correct context, spell correctly, or put a complete, cohesive, and coherent sentence together.

My most commonly used pet peeve is the incorrect use of tense: “Could/Should have went…”
Gah! Just kill me now! I find it difficult not to interject and say, “Could/Should have GONE!”

I work with women older than I am who are given a clear and legible message but cannot correctly type it and send it to the appropriate recipient. It’s maddening!

If any of you are wondering if I sit behind my screen and proofread posts all over this forum for spelling, punctuation, and grammar, I do! However, I refrain from commenting with my corrections. LOL!"

FTFY. I know, I'm going to hell for this. Grammar hell.

This is great!!!! :kiss2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grammar police always make me so nervous. I was an english tutor until I had shock treatment. It actually attacks the grammar center of the brain. Word recall and sentence structure, commas, etc are a real struggle for me. Please be gentle with people. You never know why they struggle.

I only discuss grammar and etiquette with my children, at home. Everywhere else, I just scream in my head....lol!!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It makes me feel worlds better that i’m Being silently judged.

Actually, it’s really not about you, or anyone else. It’s how something affects ME*. It’s a quirk that rubs me the way fingernails on a chalk board rubs others. I, personally, don’t flinch, when someone rakes their nails against a chalk board. Others have chills running down their spine. It’s really an issue that I need to remedy, not anyone else. Everyone has something to complain about, or that bothers them. Mine is grammar & etiquette.
This thread was created for the purpose of sharing those things. My post wasn’t directed at anyone, nor intended to make anyone feel judged.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, @soxfan , my parents and sister voted for Trump too.....:oops2::eek2:

The most annoying thing about my Mom is that she watches religious TV all day long. She's been doing this for 30 years.
And then she wants tell me all about it.:x2
I just keep trying to change the subject.
If I told her I was an agnostic, she would flip.

Last edited:

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, @Tekate, my parents and sister voted for Trump too.....:oops2::eek2:

The most annoying thing about my Mom is that she watches religious TV all day long. She's been doing this for 30 years.
And then she wants tell me all about it.:x2
I just keep trying to change the subject.
If I told her I was an agnostic, she would flip.
I forgot to tell about my DH..... He is a “ ASKHOLE” ..........
My DH will ask your opinion on anything, and do the exact opposite. :twisted:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Annoying quirk: my parents voted for Trump.

+1000

Thankfully only my father voted for Trump. After reading the above post I realize my mom criticizing my appearances is not that big of deal LOL.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My other half folds my laundry.
Sounds lovely and loving, right?
But he folds socks and underwear and leggings.
And stacks them ever so neatly.
And tells me about how he took the time to fold and stack everything ever so neatly for me, and how I really ought to try to keep everything at least somewhat organized...
The annoying part is that he isn’t wrong... But I’m perfectly happy to dump everything into a drawer and rummage for whatever I need when I need it! :roll2:

He is also maniacal about recycling. I’m all for saving the planet but I draw the line at rubbing labels and stickers off things so they can go into the recycling pile, or digging through the kitchen garbage to retrieve an errant tomato can lid...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reading some of the above replies makes me realize that perhaps my dh is quirky that way too re organization and keeping things very neat. He loves a clean home and loves keeping things well organized. Everything in its place and he throws things out mercilessly. Yes IMO that is an annoying quirk. Mainly because I wish I could be so organized and neat. :lol:

Just a little example of his organizational skills.

His ties.

ties.jpg ties.jpeg

And a random sampling of some of his man room tool organization
(He has so many so just took a few photos of a small part of his collection)

952BB960-D6C5-4F77-AEA0-8098CBDD256E.jpeg 229A7428-534F-4E78-A526-37BC7B18303D.jpeg 34A9A3F5-1716-40C9-9EEC-0914F86C2B49.jpeg 602773E9-AD54-40D0-BC46-863E736DB20C.jpeg 3631C06E-F2FB-433A-985F-8E39A00DD39D.jpeg 4B21CCBA-1293-40CA-A7FC-F405A0BA7B23.jpeg 0DE85987-A85E-4CE8-9E5C-C9E8DE68521A.jpeg

Sorry for the wrong orientation for many of these photos. Just took these photos with my phone and posting directly from my phone quickly.

Reactions: AV_

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In our basement bathroom we have this ceiling light/heater. There is a switch for the light, a switch for the heater and a switch that turns on both. So many times I come home and DH is upstairs and the heater is on. He means to turn on the light but picks the switch that turns on both the light and the heater then forgets about it when he goes upstairs.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I was grossly reminded today....my husband will sweetly do the dishes in the morning....or at least part of them. He washes the insides of pots, pans and dishes, but not the outside, even if it's been sitting in the dirty bowl of another. And he will wash utensils, but not the handles. I ask him to please leave the dishes to me or to wash them properly, but after 15 years, he still has the same grody habit. It's maddening. :x2

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh. My aunt. Love her to death, but I just want to strangle her sometimes.

She has always chosen to purposefully live in BFE, so no matter where you are it's always a drive to her, and then she feels the need to have people cater to her. Come here for X holiday. Hey, on your way to the other side of the planet, can you swing by and bring me a carton of milk?

And planning a multi-step trip. :confused2: So let's start in Texas, run to Canada, swing by Oklahoma, go back to Canada, hit California, then New York and then back to Nevada, head to Florida, now Washington, back to Texas and end in Canada.

Almost forgot the time she was a sales consultant for some "adult toys". That was a real knee slapper. Nothing like having a date with you during a family holiday in the middle of nowhere BFE and your aunt slides over to ask how her turkey is and if she'd like to buy a ball gag, a love swing or some anal beads. :shock:

Funniest post in a long time!!! Now that's a real knee slapper! :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, Our husbands definitely have the same work wardrobe organization skills. What on earth happened to the two of us??? LOL

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, Our husbands definitely have the same work wardrobe organization skills. What on earth happened to the two of us??? LOL

LOL, I do not know Callie :lol: but I like to think that the universe knew how much we needed our handy and helpful and very skilled guys and sent them to us. I will add that during my dating years nurturing men were always drawn to me somehow. Guys who cooked for me were never in shortage when I was dating. It's almost as if they sensed I needed them as I was useless in that department. But honey you were a good cook before J.
grinNbrew.gif

Our guys spoil us.:halo:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. This just happened. Again. Hubby and I went out to get food. Tried a new place. With a long line and limited seating. So hubby tells me to save a table and he would order food. I said no. Bc we read the reviews and the food takes a long time. Why would I hoard a table without food? He starts to get upset because he observes 5 other couples walk in and hoard a table each! They were about 5 people behind us!
I shake my head and realize that these couples are all in our generation. Meanwhile, lots of millennials are patiently waiting for their food. God bless them for being considerate! I point that out to him. So he acquiesces and I get my way. And guess what. We got a better table than the other 5 table hoarders!!! Yay me! And hopefully this changes his territorial attitude!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala, I'm confused about this table hoarding you mention. If we go to Chiptole for example I will have my older son grab a table while we order food, that way we have a place to eat. This doesn't seem like hoarding, I've always just considered it reasonable to make sure we have a place to sit before ordering. If you go to a sit down restaurant and they tell you there are no seats you either leave or wait for a seat to open. However in a smaller place like Chipotle if we ordered food and found there were no tables, you would have four people standing with food in the way of other diners or virtually standing over someone else which to me is terribly rude.

I've never considered this inappropriate nor have I blinked an eye if someone who walked in before us had secured a table for their family. Although to be fair I see this more with families with young children than couples.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala, I'm confused about this table hoarding you mention. If we go to Chiptole for example I will have my older son grab a table while we order food, that way we have a place to eat. This doesn't seem like hoarding, I've always just considered it reasonable to make sure we have a place to sit before ordering. If you go to a sit down restaurant and they tell you there are no seats you either leave or wait for a seat to open. However in a smaller place like Chipotle if we ordered food and found there were no tables, you would have four people standing with food in the way of other diners or virtually standing over someone else which to me is terribly rude.

I've never considered this inappropriate nor have I blinked an eye if someone who walked in before us had secured a table for their family. Although to be fair I see this more with families with young children than couples.
I guess that the type of establishments that I’m referring to are a hybrid. You wait in line for 30 minutes and wait another 15 minutes for your food to get freshly prepared. Bc of the nature of the waiting, if everyone waited to get a seat until after they ordered, things would work out for all. Instead, some hoarders are sitting at empty tables for half an hour! Meanwhile people who have food are wandering around. It’s very inconsiderate, children or no children, and some hybrid restaurants have realized the problem and will post a sign that says Please seat yourself after you order your food. I tend not to go back to restaurants that don’t figure this out. I’m my area, there is always ample seating at chipotle. It’s not what I would consider a hybrid.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't speak for CA but here places like Chipotle are extremely busy at peak times, if you can't sit for whatever reason in a high stool, you are limited to the few tables and chairs. So yes, I grab a table when I first walk in so that we have a table because my four year old can't sit on a stool safely.

I thought that maybe I didn't understand your definition of table hoarding.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't speak for CA but here places like Chipotle are extremely busy at peak times, if you can't sit for whatever reason in a high stool, you are limited to the few tables and chairs. So yes, I grab a table when I first walk in so that we have a table because my four year old can't sit on a stool safely.

I thought that maybe I didn't understand your definition of table hoarding.
That continues to be my definition bc imo, tables and seats are there for customers who have to eat. Not for customers who are 45 minutes from being served. I should add that in yesterdaty’s hybrid restaurant, half of the seating is in the form of stools with counter space.
That’s his quirk. And that’s what bothers me. I see him as being very territorial. To the point where it is inconsiderate to others. And that’s my take. I hope I didn’t offend you.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah not offended, hopefully my table hoarding doesn't offend you :lol-2:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A certain family member can't stop talking about his favourite video games and upcoming comicon stuff etc. He tends to know we aren't interested but will tell us about it anyway, which I would be understanding of if he was a young fella - except he's 31 years old.

I guess I know how my wife (and everyone else) feels with me and the fishing now :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results