shape
carat
color
clarity

“Parti” sapphires - marketing spin?

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I’m after some educated views on Parti sapphires.

Generally speaking when you buy a stone you’re looking for a nice even colour distribution, not too light or dark, no zoning or banding etc...

But when looking at teal / greenish sapphires in particular there are a lot which show a variety of colours or more defined zoning. In Australian and Madagascan gems I see this most frequently and they are often marketed as being rarer and more desirable if they exhibit this - “like the ocean” or “flashes of colour as the stone moves” or “one of the most unique gems” etc.

What is the general view on this. Are Parti sapphires rare and desirable? Or is it a marketing ploy to get people to buy a stone with uneven colour distribution for more money than a “boring” monochrome.

4EEE5296-016B-4307-9A1F-AA3CA8B8922A.jpeg 952339CA-2A3E-45BA-8E58-F9C437C70588.jpeg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you hit the nail on the head. When is "unique" desirable and when is it a handicap?

I think if it enhances the overall beauty, it's a legit plus. I would be more likely to accept it in a lower-end origin than (say) Burma or Ceylon. And in a less-ideal color like a teal. It would definitely detract from a pad or vivid blue. Symmetry is a plus -- flashes around the edges of the table or on opposite sides of the table rather than a third of the table (i.e., 12 o'clock to 4 o'clock) would be more appealing to me.

I think your example is pretty.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like parti sapphires with lots of different colours, some of the Aussie ones are great, some of the best I've seen have distinct bands of different colours, I personally prefer them to ones that only have slight colour differences across the stone....I've noticed that all of them have gone up substantially in price the last 3 to 4 years, 5 years ago they were still well priced, not so much any more. It's probably a combination of marketing and people realising how cool they can be.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
While it’s true that generally top tier parti sapphires have not been as prized as other sapphires (royal blue, cornflower blue, or other strong vivid and even colored), I do believe they’re becoming more valued. Current trends for teal sapphires, included sapphires, and unique sapphires has given them a more appreciative audience and higher price point.

That said, not all parti sapphires are created equally. A dark stone is still dark, and some colors blend together in indistinct and not attractive ways. But a lovely parti sapphire is quite unlike a lot of things out there, so I’m happy they’re having a bit of a moment in the sun.

So yeah. One part marketing, one part real appeal :)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a marketing ploy but also they can be very pretty and unique, and since unique is something people are looking for in jewelry a lot more now than 20-30 years ago, marketing them to that makes sense. I've seen some very cool parti-color stones, and also some that look like somebody dropped a turd in the stone. Just like even-color stones, there's variety. I personally like the ones where there's a distinct stripe or the two halves of the gem are different colors, and I'm less into the ones that just have kind of cloudy blooms of different colors.

Rons Wolfe

Shiny_Rock
I love that stone! I have some Zoisite (Tanzanite) like that, it's my favorite.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Parti sapphires can be very beautiful but whether or not they are worth more because they are less common is a buyers decision. Certainly where the zoning is used skilfully by the cutter a very visually attractive gem can be created.
Marketing is an interesting tool, here in Australia where we found very rare and very desirable pink diamonds we also found a lot of yellow toned and brown toned diamonds that no one really wanted. A bit of clever marketing and better names and voila “Champagne and Cognac” diamonds became the new “in” thing.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they have been referred to as parti-sapphires for a very long time (since I was a kid) and personally I love them! :love: I'm guessing they seem to suddenly be more popular as a slightly more affordable alternative to other sapphires from elsewhere. Also as Bron mentions - being cut by more skilful cutters to make the best of the zoning too.

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
I think parti sapphires are nice but wouldn't rank them with pads, top pinks or blues. I'd be frank in saying they're trending right now, especially since the top color pinks and blues are commanding high dollar. If people can't get those but are still hankering for a sapphire then they might chalk up a parti as the next best "different" thing. I first came across parti's a few years ago on John Dyer's site. He had some cut very well. Because of the color variations within a parti, i think it needs to be well cut to optimize the color play that it has going on. They are definitely a visually fun and interesting stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results