shape
carat
color
clarity

“Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown” WHAT DOES THIS SENTENCE MEAN?

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,
Can anyone tell me what does this sentence mean on GIA cert comments?
“Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown”

Is that mean 99% probability the diamond will appear hazy or milky?

Does this comments will make any difference between Asscher Cut and Round Brilliant or other cuts? Or will make difference between higher clarity grade and lower clarity grade diamonds?
Or don’t have to be worry about this if the cut/polish/symmetry is ex/ex/ex?

Thank you

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The probability is not as high as 99%, but does increase as the clarity grade decreases. For example, if the clarity grade is S12 there is a high likelihood that transparency will be impaired to a noticeable degree. Si1 the probability is lower but should be checked by an experienced professional before you are fully committed.

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Texas Leaguer, @david b,
It’s an Asscher Cut D-SI1, the vendor confirmed the diamond looks great doesn’t show any hazy or milky but I still have a doubt about it because being SI1 clarity feel like to good to be true?
Before I go forward with this diamond I want to know what ps’er thoughts and opinions.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In answer to the question about the relationship of cut quality, clarity based transparency is an independent factor. As is shape and facet arrangement. Naturally, top cut quality will maximize the light performance of whatever the starting material is.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s an Asscher Cut D-SI1, the vendor confirmed the diamond looks great doesn’t show any hazy or milky but I still have a doubt about it because being SI1 clarity feel like to good to be true?
Before I go forward with this diamond I want to know what ps’er thoughts and opinions.

Get it sent to an independent appraiser and make the sale final on the stone checking out in all aspects, including the clouds not being an issue and having a negative effect if you want extra reassurance.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's a good sign, but it is always prudent to get an independent opinion from an expert not involved in the sale. It can be a subtle effect.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It means stay away! I would strongly urge you to look for a different diamond. I think you will be far happier.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd avoid. I have a diamond with this clarity on the GIA cert. The diamond passed the HCA/ASET/Idealscope test, and now I'm noticing years later that the diamond is hazy/cloudy when compared to my Whiteflash ACA.

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
In answer to the question about the relationship of cut quality, clarity based transparency is an independent factor. As is shape and facet arrangement. Naturally, top cut quality will maximize the light performance of whatever the starting material is.
It’s good to know about this. Thanks

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Get it sent to an independent appraiser and make the sale final on the stone checking out in all aspects, including the clouds not being an issue and having a negative effect if you want extra reassurance.
That is a great idea! I’ll do this if I decide to buy this diamond.

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It means stay away! I would strongly urge you to look for a different diamond. I think you will be far happier.
Still undecided yet. Hoping to find the right one.

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'd avoid. I have a diamond with this clarity on the GIA cert. The diamond passed the HCA/ASET/Idealscope test, and now I'm noticing years later that the diamond is hazy/cloudy when compared to my Whiteflash ACA.
This is the point I’m trying to avoid.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think all you can do is keep looking, put this one on the back burner and see what else is out there as you are, understandably, unsure.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with @Lorelei.

What about this diamond makes you think it may be worth the risk? If you give some criteria of what is important to you, we can probably help you find a comparable stone without the risk factor.

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
why do you stick with this diamond?
It is obvious that it has a cloud bringing down the clarity to SI1 from IF !!
I would check it only if it is significantly cheaper.

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think all you can do is keep looking, put this one on the back burner and see what else is out there as you are, understandably, unsure.
Yes I will keep looking until find the one for me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei, again , I am 100% with you here:appl:
Aren't there enough troubles in life?

David

Most definitely David, especially with such a purchase, be happy, not worried!

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@sledge, @david b,
I don’t have much for budget (10k ) and I’m hoping can get D color so I just think with SI1 clarity the lowest I can go and still consider eye clean.
I’m trying to get at least 1.5ct so can be a little bigger than the one I already got now.
I know it’s a risk about the comments on the cert but on the other side I’m hoping for luck :mrgreen2: the plot look good (clean enough) and no culet, no fluorescence, ex/ex/ex, depth and table it’s between standard so I though can give it to try =)2 just have to ask some input before if worth to try or it’s a BIG NO NO! ;)2

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there some cultural or mind clean reason you must have a d? If you opened up to the other grades within "colorless" I.e., E, F) you may have more options for your budget.

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Is there some cultural or mind clean reason you must have a d? If you opened up to the other grades within "colorless" I.e., E, F) you may have more options for your budget.
All the diamonds I got is a D color, so I’m a little nervous to go lower, but I guess I can go lower if I can avoid the tint of yellowish.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge, @david b,
I don’t have much for budget (10k ) and I’m hoping can get D color so I just think with SI1 clarity the lowest I can go and still consider eye clean.
I’m trying to get at least 1.5ct so can be a little bigger than the one I already got now.
I know it’s a risk about the comments on the cert but on the other side I’m hoping for luck :mrgreen2: the plot look good (clean enough) and no culet, no fluorescence, ex/ex/ex, depth and table it’s between standard so I though can give it to try =)2 just have to ask some input before if worth to try or it’s a BIG NO NO! ;)2

I totally understand the color thing, but I have to ask -- are your eyes seriously trained enough to see the minimal difference between a D & G? If you lined up several diamonds up to each other, you could probably see the difference if you have good eyes. Many people couldn't.

And you would most likely see the color difference from the side and not top. Once a diamond is set, it's even more unlikely to see the color difference. Also, the better cut the stone, the more white it appears.

So there are some factors to consider when you say you want a D color. I'm not trying to talk you out of what you want, just making sure you fully understand is all.

I might also ask about the the size. You mention a minimum 1.5 carats. What specifically makes 1.5 carats the magical size? Is it a mental thing? Would a 1.44 carat be the same, more or less? You do know that depending on the specific characteristics of a diamond, it is possible for a 1.44 carat diamond to have physical dimensions that are larger than a 1.5 carat stone, assuming the 1.44 has a larger table and less depth than the 1.5?

I recently went through some of this myself, except with a smaller stone. My target was D-G, 1 carat and VS+ quality. I ended up with 0.867 carat H VS2. The physical dimensions size up better than larger carat stones because of the cut. It's a Brian Gavin H&A cut so even though the H is less than I wanted, it faces up whiter than it's actual color grading. Lastly, because I didn't hit a magical marker (like 1 carat, 1.5 carat or 2 carat) I saved some money as people see this as less than 1 carat. I wasn't bothered by the numerical value and feel I found a great fit.

Not saying this is the right answer for you, but perhaps you could be more open to similar things and end up with a nicer stone overall.

Some possible alternates:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3980388.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3986358.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3950139.htm

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I totally understand the color thing, but I have to ask -- are your eyes seriously trained enough to see the minimal difference between a D & G? If you lined up several diamonds up to each other, you could probably see the difference if you have good eyes. Many people couldn't.

And you would most likely see the color difference from the side and not top. Once a diamond is set, it's even more unlikely to see the color difference. Also, the better cut the stone, the more white it appears.

So there are some factors to consider when you say you want a D color. I'm not trying to talk you out of what you want, just making sure you fully understand is all.

I might also ask about the the size. You mention a minimum 1.5 carats. What specifically makes 1.5 carats the magical size? Is it a mental thing? Would a 1.44 carat be the same, more or less? You do know that depending on the specific characteristics of a diamond, it is possible for a 1.44 carat diamond to have physical dimensions that are larger than a 1.5 carat stone, assuming the 1.44 has a larger table and less depth than the 1.5?

I recently went through some of this myself, except with a smaller stone. My target was D-G, 1 carat and VS+ quality. I ended up with 0.867 carat H VS2. The physical dimensions size up better than larger carat stones because of the cut. It's a Brian Gavin H&A cut so even though the H is less than I wanted, it faces up whiter than it's actual color grading. Lastly, because I didn't hit a magical marker (like 1 carat, 1.5 carat or 2 carat) I saved some money as people see this as less than 1 carat. I wasn't bothered by the numerical value and feel I found a great fit.

Not saying this is the right answer for you, but perhaps you could be more open to similar things and end up with a nicer stone overall.

Some possible alternates:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3980388.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3986358.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3950139.htm

My eyes is not trained to tell a different color and I know that from the top and side hardly can tell the difference between D and G but since I only have D just not sure when I wear them side by side someday I’ll never can see the difference or I will.
And as I said I’m open to see other color grade as long as doesn’t show tint of yellowish.

About the carat weigh I’m looking for 6.50mm up if that possible to be exactly so not just stick with 1.5ct weigh. Can be lower or higher than 1.50.

Thank you for all the links! They are beautiful but I’m not looking for round brilliant.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice looking Asschers..:lol:

Yeah, yeah. :lol:

In my defense I was in a hurry to get out the door. Had new furniture delivered yesterday and had to get back so I could unhook my RV and get vehicles shuffled around.

My eyes is not trained to tell a different color and I know that from the top and side hardly can tell the difference between D and G but since I only have D just not sure when I wear them side by side someday I’ll never can see the difference or I will.
And as I said I’m open to see other color grade as long as doesn’t show tint of yellowish.

About the carat weigh I’m looking for 6.50mm up if that possible to be exactly so not just stick with 1.5ct weigh. Can be lower or higher than 1.50.

Thank you for all the links! They are beautiful but I’m not looking for round brilliant.

I understand. Having them side by side there is a small chance you might be able to tell. The only way to know for sure is to place your current inventory next to some other stones. While it would vary for the exact stone in question, you could probably do this at a local jeweler and get a fairly good idea of how things stack up. It'd be worth the trip & effort IMO if it helps open up your range.

My bad on missing the fact you aren't looking for rounds. I know my stone is a round but dimensional measurements comes in at 6.18 x 6.21 and carat weight is only 0.867. I'm sure this changes with the fancy shape of the asscher. I will do some more research and see if I can find anything better.

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yeah, yeah. :lol:

In my defense I was in a hurry to get out the door. Had new furniture delivered yesterday and had to get back so I could unhook my RV and get vehicles shuffled around.

I understand. Having them side by side there is a small chance you might be able to tell. The only way to know for sure is to place your current inventory next to some other stones. While it would vary for the exact stone in question, you could probably do this at a local jeweler and get a fairly good idea of how things stack up. It'd be worth the trip & effort IMO if it helps open up your range.

My bad on missing the fact you aren't looking for rounds. I know my stone is a round but dimensional measurements comes in at 6.18 x 6.21 and carat weight is only 0.867. I'm sure this changes with the fancy shape of the asscher. I will do some more research and see if I can find anything better.
0.867 Carat weight with 6.18 x 6.21 measurement it’s very nice!

I decided last minute yesterday to go with the SI1 clarity based on the clouds are not shown.
I feel better to see it in person and will decide to keep or not.
The stone arrived this morning from overnight shipping.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
0.867 Carat weight with 6.18 x 6.21 measurement it’s very nice!

I decided last minute yesterday to go with the SI1 clarity based on the clouds are not shown.
I feel better to see it in person and will decide to keep or not.
The stone arrived this morning from overnight shipping.

Let us know what you think when you've spent some time with the stone and if you'd like to double check with an appraiser before you make up your mind, we might be able to suggest one in your area.

But how fun, enjoy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results