carat
color
clarity

“As Seen on TV” Show & Tell

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FEA0F3BC-D31C-421D-BA9C-54273C1F4A1C.gif

I don’t get to watch a lot of television, but when I do there are always random things advertised that catch my interest, but aren’t feasible to go check out in person (at least, not easily/nearby) or I refrain from ordering due to potential return hassles; and I don’t have the patience or time to go comb the aisles of Walgreens, Walmart, etc. to see if they carry it.

What “ASOT” goods have you bought/were gifted and/or are thinking of buying? Any recommendations or cautions you’d offer? Perhaps you can attest positively or negatively about something others are curious about but hesitant to try.

My ‘tries’:
I have a MyPillow that my dad ordered for himself, but he didn’t like it. I tried it out when I went to visit him a couple years ago and loved it, so he gave it to me. I still have & use it nightly and even take it with me when I travel if possible. I find it really does wash & dry as easily as advertised, and it helps alleviate a lot of my neck pain that I experience with other pillows. I’m really curious about the “Giza” sheets the MyPillow guy also advertises, but have no knowledge of Giza cotton to know how it feels, if I’d like it, if it’s hotter to sleep in, quality, etc. I’m a cotton percale-sheet person, prefer a ‘crunchy-clean’ and cool feel to my sheets, and find sateen and other types of sheets feel ‘slimy’ or make me too hot when I sleep. My fave sheet sets are from Restoration Hardware, so any potential replacements have a high bar to get me stray.

I’ve heard more ads than I can shake a stick at for Duluth Trading Co., and we actually have one a few miles from our home so Hubs & I went last Sunday to check out their stuff and have lunch out. I picked up a couple tops, but haven’t worn them yet and cannot speak to how long-lasting they are, but they seem well-made and the material felt nice, so I figured ‘why not’. For ‘everyday’ wear though, a lot of their items are pricier than I expected given they advertise them for “working folks”.

I’ve had Omaha Steaks gift baskets, and the quality was pretty good; I give those as Christmas gifts for friends & family.

And tomorrow, I have an order arriving from Tommy John for a few items I thought Hubs might like for Christmas (okay, there are a couple items in there for me as well :shifty:), and can share about them once I have them in hand.

So, show & tell ... what have you tried?

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I also have the My Pillow, but I didn't love it for sleeping. It's currently a cushion for behind my back for when I sit in my work chair.

I also have the Ove Glove. I love those. I feel like they protect my hands better than regular oven mitts, and I can hold hot pans longer if needed.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have this thing that makes egg on a stick
trouble waa first time i used it i didn't quite follow the first use instructions and the egg stuck

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the late 1980s I bought a Bruce Jenner bench workout with pulleys. Used that for a number of years and it was tried and approved by my friend Julius who is 6'4" and very strong. He was very surprised and impressed with it.

brucejenner.jpg

Omaha steaks gift baskets are a win. Whoever we buy them for loves them.

George Forman grill. We didn't buy it but it was a gift from my parents. Not bad.

That's all I can think of right now.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have this thing that makes egg on a stick
trouble waa first time i used it i didn't quite follow the first use instructions and the egg stuck

OMG, that's the silliest thing I've ever seen! Well, today, anyway..............

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ove glove - bought a bunch of them for gifts when Aldi`s carried them one time. We still use ours.
nukerwave omelet pan. Used it a ton before I got married. Wifey4vr dont like nuked eggs so it gathers dust.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OvGlove is the best!!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure how/why, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen/heard of “Ove Glove”, but may look into that given so many seem to love it. :think:

@Gabbycat - MyPillow seems to have a mixed-bag of reviews & results; I’m sorry it doesn’t fit the bill for you to sleep on, but I’m glad you can put it to use another way. I *think* they come in two different firmness/softness levels; is it possible that’s the issue with yours? I don’t know which one I have since my dad bought it, and he didn’t remember when I asked.

@Daisys and Diamonds - I have never seen/heard of the ‘egg on a stick’. I can’t even fathom why someone would want ‘egg on a stick’ when there are so many tasty bagels, muffins, omelets, etc. What is the ‘benefit’ that is/was touted with that product’s promotion? Maybe to trick kids into thinking it was a healthy popsicle? :lol:

@missy Talk about a ‘blast from the past’ with that exercise machine ad! So funny to see how styles have evolved (e.g., puffy socks over the leggings, hair styles, etc.). Do you still have the machine?

@Karl_K I’m a huge fan of ‘nuked eggs’ because they seem to turn out fluffier that way, and when I do them in a small round bowl, they’re the perfect size to slap on a bagel or muffin with some cheese for an easy & quick breakfast sandwich.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@the_mother_thing haha I know, right? No the machine is long gone. When I moved from my studio apartment in the city I said bye to it. I upgraded to all my other stuff but let me tell you for what it was it was pretty great lol. And when I think what I spent/spend on all my current exercise equipment that was a huge bargain. I don’t remember what it cost but if I guess under $100 I bet I’d be right. Now even a simple Pilates bench is thousands. But I digress. Yeah blast from the past indeed. I took a chance on an infomercial and it worked out.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have lots of them still.....

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My MIL bought us all Dr. Ho's. I actually really like it and it STILL works 10 years later!

cheers--Sharon

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
George Forman Grill - love it! Stopped using our outdoor grill after we bought that, though I do use the George outside.

MyPilllow - We quite like it. It fluffs right back up every morning. Flattens our quickly while sleeping though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results