shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help Buying the RIGHT Diamond...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nolimits

Rough_Rock
Looking to buy the RIGHT ring for my lady and need a little help. I am looking in the 1.5ct D/E/F/G SI/VS range with special emphasis on the cut.

On our way back from TX last night we actually saw a Zales Outlet store and stopped by for the fun of it. We were pleasantly surprised to find a band that I believe is "the one". It is white gold and has diamond accents on each side (1/2ct total weight). After their discounts, the price was about $1,000.

They had a 1.5ct F I1 diamond to place next to it. Wow, it looked absolutely awesome!!! Unfortunately I could see a flourescent which the sales associate referred to as a "feather" that ran on the upper left cut. I''m sure I said "cut" wrong, but when looking at a princess you see an X shape, it was the upper left leg of that X shape. This was the only naked eye flaw. Under the loupe I saw some carbon also but it wasn''t bad. Still the visible defect did not set well with me. I would prefer something "eyeclean" that in those same parameters. Their sale price on the diamond was $6,500.

I took a card with the info listed on it as I am fairly sold on the band, and he can order in a diamond to my liking. Before I go much further I had some questions...

1) What is the difference between platinum and white gold? I just like the silver look, so as long as it''s not yellow gold I''m okay with it.

2) How much emphasis needs placed on diamond accents on the wedding band? They were small and the color matched the main stone which I believe would be the main concern.

3) Is the pricing I noted above in-line, or should I keep looking? I haven''t seen that band anywhere else so perhaps I could have one custom designed from a photo?

4) Outside the clarity, I felt the stone I looked at was very good. However, I felt very "cheap" looking at an I clarity stone. I even kind of feel cheap at an SI level. This may be based on the fact I had bough my ex-wife a VS quality stone years back although it was a much smaller stone (.75ct). Is this a psychological effect, or is an SI (or even I) quality stone acceptable? My soon to be FI feels the size, color and cut is the most important to her. And I tend to agree as long as I cannot see any flaws with the naked eye. However, will the value of the SI or I quality stone continue to appreciate in time as a higher clarity (VS) stone?

5) Is it possible to acquire a 1.5ct D/E/F/G SI1 princess cut stone with a superb cut in the $7,500 or less budget?

6) I have started looking online but am very, very nervous about buying this way. Can you recommend some good sites?

7) I understand most diamonds have certificates. Are these lab certs only? From what I have read, it seems most prefer GIA or AGS, with a leaning towards AGS. Why? Is the EGL a bad lab, or overly "easy" on their reviews? Do all diamond vendors offer these certificates? Is there a charge for these certs? If I buy a diamond with a cert, do I need to have an independent appraisal/review performed to ensure I got what I paid for (seems logical)? Are these independent appraisals GIA/AGS/EGL certified? As you can see I''m very confused on all this. I believe the old ring I bought had a cert from the dealer that included an appraisal value, so it was a 1 stop show.

8) With cut being so important is there a way to determine that quality on the certs? If I look to buy online how can I rest assured I am getting a diamond that has a superb cut? Again to my girl, it''s very important the diamond spit fire from across the room.

I apologize for being so diamond retarded. I want a little more info to know I''m buying the best diamond for the money before I make a decision. Your help is most appreciated.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2008 1:56:53 PM
Author:nolimits
Looking to buy the RIGHT ring for my lady and need a little help. I am looking in the 1.5ct D/E/F/G SI/VS range with special emphasis on the cut.

On our way back from TX last night we actually saw a Zales Outlet store and stopped by for the fun of it. We were pleasantly surprised to find a band that I believe is 'the one'. It is white gold and has diamond accents on each side (1/2ct total weight). After their discounts, the price was about $1,000.

They had a 1.5ct F I1 diamond to place next to it. Wow, it looked absolutely awesome!!! Unfortunately I could see a flourescent which the sales associate referred to as a 'feather' that ran on the upper left cut. I'm sure I said 'cut' wrong, but when looking at a princess you see an X shape, it was the upper left leg of that X shape. This was the only naked eye flaw. Under the loupe I saw some carbon also but it wasn't bad. Still the visible defect did not set well with me. I would prefer something 'eyeclean' that in those same parameters. Their sale price on the diamond was $6,500.

I took a card with the info listed on it as I am fairly sold on the band, and he can order in a diamond to my liking. Before I go much further I had some questions...

1) What is the difference between platinum and white gold? I just like the silver look, so as long as it's not yellow gold I'm okay with it.

White gold sometimes yellows and will have to be rhodium plated from time to time depending on wear which is not expensive to do; platinum does not yellow and it is stronger and heavier. They each have pros and cons; this may help https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/white-gold-vs-platinum.45246/

2) How much emphasis needs placed on diamond accents on the wedding band? They were small and the color matched the main stone which I believe would be the main concern.

If you mean well cut for emphasis, then you want to buy something equally as nice as the main diamond or it may not sparkle as much.
3) Is the pricing I noted above in-line, or should I keep looking? I haven't seen that band anywhere else so perhaps I could have one custom designed from a photo?
I would lok at Whiteflash for nice stones.
4) Outside the clarity, I felt the stone I looked at was very good. However, I felt very 'cheap' looking at an I clarity stone. I even kind of feel cheap at an SI level. This may be based on the fact I had bough my ex-wife a VS quality stone years back although it was a much smaller stone (.75ct). Is this a psychological effect, or is an SI (or even I) quality stone acceptable? My soon to be FI feels the size, color and cut is the most important to her. And I tend to agree as long as I cannot see any flaws with the naked eye. However, will the value of the SI or I quality stone continue to appreciate in time as a higher clarity (VS) stone?
It depends on the stones, there are some SI stones which are eye clean but I don't think I would go further than SI, maybe that is why you see the carbon?
5) Is it possible to acquire a 1.5ct D/E/F/G SI1 princess cut stone with a superb cut in the $7,500 or less budget?

Probably not that is why the price sounds to good to be true for an outstanding stone or the stone is not very nice, that is why Pricescope is so wonderful in educating us.
1.gif

6) I have started looking online but am very, very nervous about buying this way. Can you recommend some good sites?
I worked with Whiteflash and have been happy. I see lots of people buy lately from WF, Good Old Gold, James Allen and others and have been happy.

7) I understand most diamonds have certificates. Are these lab certs only? From what I have read, it seems most prefer GIA or AGS, with a leaning towards AGS. Why? Is the EGL a bad lab, or overly 'easy' on their reviews? Do all diamond vendors offer these certificates? Is there a charge for these certs? If I buy a diamond with a cert, do I need to have an independent appraisal/review performed to ensure I got what I paid for (seems logical)? Are these independent appraisals GIA/AGS/EGL certified? As you can see I'm very confused on all this. I believe the old ring I bought had a cert from the dealer that included an appraisal value, so it was a 1 stop show.

This tutorial maybe helpful http://diamonds.pricescope.com/agsideal.asp AGS is a stringent lab for grading stones so people like these certs since they most of the time come back appraised at what is actually stated on the cert versus EGL certs which tend to be off; also, they are not appraisals. One stop is not always good because you want independence when someone verifies your stone.

8) With cut being so important is there a way to determine that quality on the certs? If I look to buy online how can I rest assured I am getting a diamond that has a superb cut? Again to my girl, it's very important the diamond spit fire from across the room.
This tutorial may be helpful
I apologize for being so diamond retarded. I want a little more info to know I'm buying the best diamond for the money before I make a decision. Your help is most appreciated.

You are asking very good questions
9.gif
. People like WF for the Princess cut because Brian the cutter has strict requirements for which stones make their cut above line. Here is an example of a nice looking Princess
http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-312224.htm there also is an aset image and idealscope. Also, this thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-princess-table-and-depth-data-is-useless.28534/
I am curious are you looking at a 1.5 carat princess w/sidestones= 3 stones total? Welcome to Pricescope and hope I answered some of your questions or pointed you in the right direction. Hope you find a gorgeous Princess!
35.gif

nolimits

Rough_Rock
Skippy, thanks for the welcome and providing your input. I''ve taken the last day or so to do some reading and research. Just the diamond tutorial alone was a huge help. It''s scary that I purchased a diamond before w/o this much knowledge.

I must admit I''m still a little confused about all the angles & depth percentages shown in the chart you linked. For instance, if I found a diamond with a table of 63% it would fit in all class 1a - 4a categories. Perhaps it will be more clear when I am able to actually look at a diamond and then compare the specs so I can see the effect those items have on the diamond.

In regards to the cut, I read another article (http://diamonds.pricescope.com/brill.asp) that left me with the expression the best cut diamond doesn''t always have the most "fire". I believe my girl determines the "cut quality" to be an indication of how much it sparkles and produces this "fire". Am I misreading, or is there a different quality I should be searching for to get this fire?

Also after more reading I have decided an SI quality is what I will likely purchase. I believe it''ll fit the price range best and as long as it''s "eye clean" then it will be good enough for me (and her). Besides from what I was reading, unless you can step up to the VVS or IF level it probably isn''t going to make a big difference other than bragging rights. So I''d rather put the money in color, cut & carat. And speaking of size, I saw where diamonds such as 1.45ct is priced better than an actual 1.5ct so I may pursue that as well. But I''d still like to be close to the 1.5ct size. In my opinion, it just looks like the right size.

Oh yeah, I found another band I really liked. It''s a Kirk Kara band. Still a little tossed on the platinum or white gold decision, but leaning towards wg with pallidium. And if I use the new band there are blue stones used, so matching the center stone won''t be as critical. I''ve attached a pic.

Last but not least, I found another stone at a local store. I haven''t seen it yet, just looking at the online specs. Give opinion???

Polish Good
Symmetry Good
Shape Princess
Flourescence
Weight 1.51
Depth % 65.5%
Color E
Table 77.8%
Clarity SI3
Measurements 6.57-6.55x4.29
Lab OWN
Net Price $5919.20

I am thinking the low price is because it''s their own lab certification, S13, too shallow and maybe too large of a table? Although looking at their other princess cuts most are in the mid 70''s range, and they retail much higher (2x or more).

kkcharlotte6685xxxx.jpg

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would really take a good look at an SI3 stone, especially since you say that they graded it as such themselves...GIA doesn't use this grade at all, and it is basically a nice way of saying that it is an I clarity. There are some I clarity stones that are gorgeous thanks to an ideal cut and proper placement of prongs, but I would take a good look at such a stone before making the purchase.

avlis

Shiny_Rock
SI3 is just an I1 in disguise. also it is graded in house, so it could really be a lot worse, basically the seller is asking that you take their word for it that it is an E color and an SI3(I1) clarity. remember that diamonds prices are based on these factors that the seller graded him/herself.

Also "good" in GIA/AGS terms is medicocre, middle, grade 3 of 5, C student. just something to think about.

Laura Kearns

Rough_Rock
Hello Nolimits...wow the sapphire and diamond designs you chose are gorgeous! I wanted to add my two cents because this is a question I get asked a LOT by customers ...so I already had a little tidy pros and cons kinda thing ready...just going to pop it in here as well...Skippy already gave you all the info you need and more...but what the hey...
21.gif

Consider these differences when deciding between platinum and white gold.

Platinum properties:
Naturally a white metal
Does not require plating (though it can be plated to maximum shine)
90-95% pure
Does not wear away,
Almost twice as heavy as gold
More expensive than gold

White gold properties:
Requires rhodium plating
18k is 75% pure
Will wear away and require repair over time

Best of luck to you!

nolimits

Rough_Rock
All,

Thanks for the input regarding the diamond I listed. It is much appreciated!

I was aware the S13 is basically the "bastard child" rating (for lack of better terms) because it''s not widely accepted. I remember reading an article (here) that stated 1 lab would rate S13 but I don''t recall the name. In this same article they discussed how there was such a big gap between SI2 and I1 clarity, hence the market was naturally adopting this SI3 class.

Regardless of the clarity rating, I will be visually inspecting any diamond before I purchase. I personally cannot live with seeing defects with the naked eye. I''m willing to pay for that, but if I require a loupe or microscope to see the blemishes it''s less important to me. Am I being too easy on my grading of clarity? Can a SI1/SI2/SI3/I1 diamond shine as much as a VS2/VS1 stone?

I did some more reading on the polish and symmetry. It appears the symmetry may be less critical according to this article (http://diamonds.pricescope.com/symm.asp) but still a "very good" rating is probably the least I want to go. The article referencing polish (http://diamonds.pricescope.com/polish.asp) is what really concerned me. With a lower polish apparently you always feel the need to clean the diamond, which is not something I consider acceptable. A higher rated polish is definitely required.

I was a little surprised no one mentioned the table or depth. Was I correct in assuming it''s a shallow diamond and too large of a table?

Either way, I''m fairly convinced this is NOT the diamond for me. However, the jeweler offering the band has this diamond in stock so I will take a look at it more closely when I go into their shop just for comparison sake of written properties to visual look of the diamond. I do know that whatever diamond I buy I plan to have an independent appraisal done to ensure I am getting the diamond I am paying for and if the appraisal is different than the cert (within reasonability) than I will return for a refund and buy elsewhere.

Alas, the white gold vs platinum issue. Thanks for the summary of the 2 metals Laura. After reading those articles Skippy linked I concluded the same. I really like the idea of platinum but am concerned with the drastic price difference and also the fact that platinum dulls over a short time from scratches. However, one of those posts noted they used a special alloy mix on their platinum which has kept it shiny for an extended period. Of course using the pallidium with white gold is supposed to make it more durable. It would be interesting to see a "cost of ownership" article regarding white gold and platinum. With different entry level price points, it is logical that you can afford to replate and rework a white gold ring some before making it the same cost or more expensive than platinum. I just wonder where the break point is....3 years, 5 years, 10 years, my lifetime, etc. The sad truth I saw was that neither metal was a clear winner, and it was more personal preference. Sadly since my main limitation is budget and the stone is more important to me, it will come down to the stone I find and if I have any extra funds to splurge on platinum.

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
edited by writer...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results