shape
carat
color
clarity

Green Spinel? Tell me about it!

Candice

Shiny_Rock
I’m interested in a vintage pendant I saw on Etsy which has an emerald cut green Spinel. It’s dark green with hints of blue in it. I couldn’t find much information on PS or pictures of members green spinel. Is it not popular?

BC95FF03-C68C-41E5-815D-89BD3AAFDF27.jpeg

Attachments

• 7F6DAD9D-622C-4A0B-B9F6-2DF06D59C853.jpeg
    7F6DAD9D-622C-4A0B-B9F6-2DF06D59C853.jpeg
    1,005.4 KB · Views: 90

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does not exist.

Haha I was thinking "Oooh I'd be all over that" as I am green mad too.

Sort of wish I had a green zircon! But keep buying jade cuz jade is tough stuff compared to them fiddly zircons!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have only seen teal colored spinels and they are usually a darker tone. I too have heard of the fabled green spinel, but until someone posts a picture of a true green spinel with a reputable lab report I also do not believe they exist.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Candice I am reading in the article: "Only pure green and yellow appear to be absent"

The text is confusing, however; it then mentions (in the table) that gahnite & picotite are some kind of green without saying that the gahnite in the picture is a great example of the finest such green to be expected. I do not quite get it why these other minerals are mentioned at all.

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only green spinel I’ve seen is a grey spinel with hints of green or teal. The stone in the Etsy necklace is a typical color for synthetic green spinel, which is more like a lime green or minty green color. They can make synthetic spinel in a huge array of colors these days, many of which do not exist in nature.

Candice

Shiny_Rock
@Candice I am reading in the article: "Only pure green and yellow appear to be absent"

The text is confusing, however; it then mentions (in the table) that gahnite & picotite are some kind of green without saying that the gahnite in the picture is a great example of the finest such green to be expected. I do not quite get it why these other minerals are mentioned at all.
I’m not sure, the listing for the necklace does mention is it not a pure green but green with blue undertones, I tried to research gahnite which states it’s a type of spinel?

Candice

Shiny_Rock
F78D9C1F-6375-4BD4-8A0C-094FA3B69346.jpeg 38C20F8E-6230-40C1-9B82-CF1378193B49.jpeg
The only green spinel I’ve seen is a grey spinel with hints of green or teal. The stone in the Etsy necklace is a typical color for synthetic green spinel, which is more like a lime green or minty green color. They can make synthetic spinel in a huge array of colors these days, many of which do not exist in nature.
More pictures

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Candice If the stone is natural, it does need a lab report to be believed. The quality is too unusual for Gahnite.

Last edited:

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
HI there,
I don´t know if I am allowed to post a picture of sold stones. We had a true green spinel with a lap report. Very rare and seldom seen. The last years as the "offcolored" spinels are coming more into the market you see teal colored far often then in the past.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless it’s really cheap ie gold weight plus $5 you need a reputable lab report. Synthetic Spinel is everywhere.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the green spinel I have ever seen is synthetic. It is common in vintage pieces. But it is usually more of a uranium glass or chrysoberyl color, not the color pictured.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
There is an iron-containing variety called chlorospinel that is green. Here's a pic of an alluvial pebble form Mindat:

https://www.mindat.org/photo-281531.html

I've never seen a cut stone from this material though.

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
HI there,
I don´t know if I am allowed to post a picture of sold stones. We had a true green spinel with a lap report.

If you do post here or on Instagram, this thread will be the world's best reference on natural green spinel. There is hardly anything on record.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI there,
I don´t know if I am allowed to post a picture of sold stones. We had a true green spinel with a lap report. Very rare and seldom seen. The last years as the "offcolored" spinels are coming more into the market you see teal colored far often then in the past.
Ask the moderator for permission.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
HI there,

I hope you can, that sounds like a very interesting stone

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what i wanted to try with my post. So if a moderator says yes I can post it.

I hope you can. I think they allowed it in the past but not sure how the rules changed (if at all) Besides, this is all about an educational moment being its already sold.

I've seen plenty of teal spinels, most of them pretty dark, so seeing a true green would make me stoked!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
To me it looks more grey than green.... there might be some green in there if I squint real hard....lol But I'd have to have a report done on it and see what they say for its coloration.

I don't know if it could considered a greenish grey or greyish green plus the certificate is done by a gemologist that is maybe the seller so idk how valuable it could be (not doubting the gemologist knowledge, judgement or ability but if he's also the seller there's a pretty big conflict of interest I think)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if it could considered a greenish grey or greyish green plus the certificate is done by a gemologist that is maybe the seller so idk how valuable it could be (not doubting the gemologist knowledge, judgement or ability but if he's also the seller there's a pretty big conflict of interest I think)

Huge conflict of interest. Plus those in house certificates don't carry the weight of a well respected independent lab.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I suspect the one above is synthetic. Here is an example of a set:

https://etsy.me/2MDl8gk

The price for the pendant might be a good indicator, too. (Although the one I linked MIGHT be way overpriced.) :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results