shape
carat
color
clarity

How have people reacted to your new diamond?

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think also that some people really don't approve of expensive jewelry, as opposed to being jealous of it.

Haven't we all heard people who believe nice jewelry is wasteful, useless, self-indulgent etc. And in that case, it's much better that they do keep their pie hole shut, right? LOL.

I meet a lot of those negative people in this weirdazz small town that I currently reside in. Women here get a .25ct or .33ct and a .5ct is considered "big" for an e-ring. And they wear those original rings for-ev-er, for life, with no upgrades. One small town woman even commented to me that women who get more than a .5ct diamond for an e-ring are "spolied." I wear a .8ct that I got at a pawn shop as my around-town / work ring, soley because my Pricescope diamond collection is so far out of the local league. Around here, even the women seem to think that women are to ask for and have exactly nothing for themselves, and are to spend all their lives sacrificing themselves for others.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have only ever commented to exclaim over how pretty someone’s ring is when they get engaged. It’s partly coz it’s new at that point, and I feel it’s more ‘acceptable’ to be paying so much attention to their bling.

While I have had people comment on my rings in the past when I wore an ering, I would always feel a bit embarrassed. They were always nice comments, with the exception of one older lady who didn’t say anything to my face but turned around and said loudly to her husband ‘young people these days! They all like big flashy low quality diamonds. Not like me! I would rather a smaller high quality stone’. That made me raise my eyebrows and I very nearly said something to her as she clearly didn’t know quality when she saw it lol.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I meet a lot of those negative people in this weirdazz small town that I currently reside in. Women here get a .25ct or .33ct and a .5ct is considered "big" for an e-ring. And they wear those original rings for-ev-er, for life, with no upgrades. One small town woman even commented to me that women who get more than a .5ct diamond for an e-ring are "spolied." I wear a .8ct that I got at a pawn shop as my around-town / work ring, soley because my Pricescope diamond collection is so far out of the local league. Around here, even the women seem to think that women are to ask for and have exactly nothing for themselves, and are to spend all their lives sacrificing themselves for others.

You must live in the town that inspired the most recently released single by Little Big Town: “Daughters”.
My word!!! :eek2:

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve gotten a few comments from strangers and family. Most of them were nice. I can only think of one comment when I was looking at Henri Daussi bands and a younger couple was looking at engagement rings next to me. The bf said look at her ring and the woman said that it was way too big and she wouldn’t want anything that big. In my mind I thought, wait a couple of years dear and then DSS will set in, Lol! That was when I had the 3.5. Right now I have a 3.1.
But honestly, I don’t really care if people notice my ring. In fact I get a little embarrassed and I’ve even turned my ring around in front of some family members bc I didn’t want to bring attention to it. Or I’ve worn my smaller diamond rings to events so as not to bring attention to myself.
Like others have said, my ring/jewelry is for my enjoyment and no one else’s.

xjsbellamias13

Shiny_Rock
I’m constantly looking at peoples jewelry, especially their rings! I usually admire from afar as I’m too shy to say anything to someone.

I have gotten compliments before but rarely from strangers. The only one that sticks out really is when I recently got the sizing beads taken off my engagement ring and the shop people were gushing about it (more so the fact that it’s an OEC as I doubt they see very many) and one of the girls said she wanted her husband to buy her a ring exactly like mine. It doesn’t make me feel awkward to receive a compliment since it so rarely happens!

Reactions: AV_

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
While I always compliment jewelry I like, I also feel terribly uncomfortable when anyone comments on mine. So if people don’t, I have to assume they think it’s more polite.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the most comments I got on a ring was my former anniversary ring, because even though the center stone was not big the setting was custom made by a local jeweler and possibly recognizable by that (often times people would ask if it was custom). There was definitely times I got better service locally when I wore that ring! I don't think I would have gotten the same reaction wearing the same size stone is a basic prong setting.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a lot easier and more socially acceptable to compliment someone's style rather than their wealth. A more intricate, cluster, unique, etc., ring invites that possibility. Whereas a "basic" solitaire or three stone (my current ring has been both) would have to be more focused on the quality/size of the stone, which would mean complimenting $$$ to most people. The fact that I've read those wedding forums where someone posts a more modest stone size and people make comments about the elegance or design of the setting kind of reinforce this in my mind. Or I'm trying to make myself feel better.:)

People complimented me constantly on my previous .9 WF ES pave ring. I almost feel bad for my new husband because I wore that ring on my right hand for a while when we were dating and he remembers how much people took note of it everywhere we went. My undoubtedly more amazing 3+ tcw ACA 3 stone...crickets. No one says a word. Maybe once this year. My money is on the above since the other setting was just flashier.
Bingo! These are my thoughts and my experience as well. People tend to compliment my rings that are less obviously expensive, but it's crickets when everI pull out the big hardware.

I don't really WANT people ogling my diamonds. I wear them for my enjoyment only (I often turn the diamonds around when I'm in public). People ogling makes me uncomfortable...maybe because I know they're likely making certain assumptions about me that are couldn't be farther than the truth, e.g. I'm wealthy and spoiled, never had to work a day in my life, etc.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There was definitely times I got better service locally when I wore that ring!

I have heard this comment many times over the years. I think that a well cared for nice sparkly diamond or gemstone is often noticed, even if only subliminally, by those who see it and do not comment.

Wink

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I think a lot of times people notice your engagement ring it is because you just got engaged and they are specifically looking for it. After that people probably don’t notice any change.
So true!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that many notice but don’t comment. I‘ve noticed strangers looking at it. I’ve had a few comments from people I know on how sparkly it is and comments such as “I’ve been meaning to tell you that your diamond is beautiful” and “look at that big diamond on your tiny finger”. Many of my patients have commented on it saying “your ring is beautiful” and some have commented on the size. It’s not large by any means. It’s a 1.86 carats ACA with a 4.25 size finger and a 4.5 size ring so I guess it looks larger to some. Colleagues don’t say anything but I catch them looking at it. Sometimes I comment on how beautiful someone’s ring is but sometimes I don’t. Mostly I don’t but it doesn’t mean I didn’t notice or appreciate it’s beauty. Sometimes timing is just not ideal to comment.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Evidently some people feel it is rude to comment. I am always complementing people about their jewelry, no matter if it is costume or genuine. If the design is pretty and catches my eye, I say something. When Resa is with me, she has been known to tell the stranger that I just complimented, "Please forgive my husband, he is a jeweler and cannot help himself."

Wink
I am the same. I am always complimenting ladies on whatever they are wearing that catches my eye....and I notice EVERYTHING, from tragus piercings to toe rings. If it's sparkly, I WILL see it.

My observation is that not everyone is "into" jewelry, even though they may have some dynamite pieces themselves. I love watches, diamonds and gemstones of all kinds, and if I see something I like, I will make a comment to the owner about it, regardless of what it is. I have ABSOLUTELY no qualms on commenting and don't understand why others do. I have found that most people like to be complimented, if it is done in a sincere, non-threatening and acceptable fashion. I don't mind being complimented on my spectacular (to me) jewels, even though I wear them to adorn myself, and the pleasure is all mine in owning and wearing them. I find the interactions pleasant and gives me a chance to tell others about what I have so that maybe they can get one for themselves as well, although I only know one who has.

In my day-to-day life these days, I don't wear my magical CBI wedding set anymore as I work with my hands and am terrified of whacking it against something and damaging the most beautiful possessions I own. But I wear other lovely sparkly diamonds on both hands, wrists and ears and I get an ENORMOUS amount of pleasure under my LED lights in the van all day, and that's why I wear them. Every few seconds I notice them glittering and think, WOW! They're so beautiful! But no one else notices them. I see people looking at them, but no one says anything, except for one client....we're kindred spirits. Oh well, to each their own, but I wish some would say something because I love talking about jewelry and admiring theirs too.

pammbw

Rough_Rock
I am always looking admiringly at others jewelry, but rarely comment. Especially in a group setting. Don't want to gush over a diamond on one finger and make another diamond clad finger feel left out. Its a delicate social balancing act. Its sometimes awkward to bring it up in conversation, and I am not bold enough to approach a total stranger and grab their hand and exclaim over a ring. Most people just avoid it altogether. I am trying to get more open and free with my compliments on everything in general- telling someone I just met they have a sweet personality, or lovely hands etc. Its hard for an introvert like me but is a continuing work in progress.
I did actually comment on a ring at a party just a couple weeks ago, and she was so tickled and we had a nice chat about jewelry and gemstones and getting custom jewelry made etc. It was a beautiful large madeira citrine and diamond ring. I was glad I brought it up. You never know who you will meet that shares your love of gems.
I have had several compliments on my rings from friends, and of course sales people while out shopping-but thats almost expected- but never any strangers. There was a cute story- Hubs and I were standing at the rental car counter and the young male clerk saw my ring and said to me what a beautiful ring and hubs piped up and said thank you! We all laughed because of course he gets all the credit for that one.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The people who typically commented on my ring were cashiers! They would notice as I was opening my wallet to pay. But that was only a handful of times. Mostly, no one says anything. *shrug*
its the highlights of my day
i had one elderly couple - retiree from his earth moving bussiness now playing at spec houses
she knew i loved her rings and she loved showing me
they were spectacular

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi All!

I’ve had my new diamond (ring) for about two and a half months now. I’m mostly housebound but have ventured out a couple of times.

Outside of my close friends where I said “look at what I got!” and knew they were happy for me:

So far, I’ve had two comments about my manicure. Now, it’s impossible to notice my manicure and not my diamond. But no comments about the diamond. In fact, I didn’t even catch anyone trying to steal a look.

And, when out for dinner with two of my closest friends, I mentioned that I have lately been considering a two carat. My friend responded with “Don’t get a two carat ... you don’t want to look like a douche-bag.” (My diamond is 7.69 mm, 1.71 carat). When I mentioned that the two carat is only .5 mm larger, she was surprised and said “Only two mm larger?,” which I confirmed but she said nothing else. This friend is very happy for me however, she loves diamonds (but not the single extraordinary diamond for herself, she prefers elaborate eternity rings), knows my ridiculous diamond journey and how much I have always dreamt of owning a beautiful diamond.

I’m not sure what reaction I was expecting, but thought maybe one person would say “wow, what a pretty diamond.” At the same time, I used to feel awkward commenting on a stranger’s bling ... do you think that people deem it impolite to comment on someone else’s diamond? Do you think no one has noticed my diamond (I really don’t “see” (haha) how this is possible). Do you think I already look like a “douche-bag” and so no one wants to say anything? (is this a stupid question to ask PSers, lol?). I have not been turning red and hiding my diamond, but I have not been flaunting it either.

Yeah. So my tally is two comments about the manicure and one warning about upsizing to a douche-bag, timeframe approx. 2.5 months. What about you?
i feel sad for you
if i served you in a shop i would have no hesitation admiring your ring and so long as you gave off appreciable friendly vibbs i would definatly tell you how beautiful it is

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am always looking admiringly at others jewelry, but rarely comment. Especially in a group setting. Don't want to gush over a diamond on one finger and make another diamond clad finger feel left out. Its a delicate social balancing act. Its sometimes awkward to bring it up in conversation, and I am not bold enough to approach a total stranger and grab their hand and exclaim over a ring. Most people just avoid it altogether. I am trying to get more open and free with my compliments on everything in general- telling someone I just met they have a sweet personality, or lovely hands etc. Its hard for an introvert like me but is a continuing work in progress.
I did actually comment on a ring at a party just a couple weeks ago, and she was so tickled and we had a nice chat about jewelry and gemstones and getting custom jewelry made etc. It was a beautiful large madeira citrine and diamond ring. I was glad I brought it up. You never know who you will meet that shares your love of gems.
I have had several compliments on my rings from friends, and of course sales people while out shopping-but thats almost expected- but never any strangers. There was a cute story- Hubs and I were standing at the rental car counter and the young male clerk saw my ring and said to me what a beautiful ring and hubs piped up and said thank you! We all laughed because of course he gets all the credit for that one.
i was on the front rail at a Bruce Springsteen concert and a beautiful slightly older Texan lady had a to die for ring
turns out she was on her honeymoon
i commented and we got talking and we had the most wounderful time before the music even started

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am wondering how people will react if I (a male of the species) ever manage to get the 2ct+ asscher I really want for a RHR! :???:
I'm a big fan of 'Guymond' rings. Mine gets regular comments. That's partially due to my preferred seat when flying (hi FB friends), because it's blingingly-obvious to a seatmate. But it also draws comments in casual/social situations. I presume some of that is gender-related: "I like seeing a diamond on a man" is a frequent observation.

Side-topic, but I often reference this link to folks interested in men's style rings. The thread just celebrated it's 10th birthday (time flies).
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mens-bling-eyecandy-folder.116617/

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm a big fan of 'Guymond' rings. Mine gets regular comments. That's partially due to my preferred seat when flying (hi FB friends), because it's blingingly-obvious to a seatmate. But it also draws comments in casual/social situations. I presume some of that is gender-related: "I like seeing a diamond on a man" is a frequent observation.

Side-topic, but I often reference this link to folks interested in men's style rings. The thread just celebrated it's 10th birthday (time flies).
Every time I saw your ring flashing, I was wishing I could wear rings.
No matter how they are sized I get extreme pain in my finger after about an hour wearing rings.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm pleased that you and others in that thread are flying the flag for guymonds! :D

I am fortunate enough to work at an employer and in an area where people can pretty much be who they want to be without fear of judgement - including members of the LGBT community and those with a wide mix of heritages/backgrounds :) - so I don't think I'd have any real issues day-to-day if (hopefully 'when'! :lol:) I get some giant rock :D but I guess it is still somewhat outside the 'social norms' across the wider UK, including in the area I live at the moment.

I like to think that a 2ct+ stepcut would be suitably 'masculine' (whatever that concept really is...) to be worn and admired for what it is, rather than being seen as 'effeminate' or some sort of statement of sexuality :rolleyes: but if anyone made some sort of snarky comment, I'd just bore them with the science until they buggered off and left me alone ;-) lol :lol:

I'm not sure I'd ever get any work done, though - so many pretty sparkles to distract :love: I have to stop staring at my wife's ring sometimes so I can concentrate on the conversation!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every time I saw your ring flashing, I was wishing I could wear rings.
No matter how they are sized I get extreme pain in my finger after about an hour wearing rings.
I'm sorry to hear that, Karl!

Have you tried different metals?

Do you find your fingers swell during the day?

You could always get some sort of bracelet made up, perhaps, as at least that way you could stare at it in idle moments, which you couldn't do with a pendant or earrings.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm sorry to hear that, Karl!

Have you tried different metals?

Do you find your fingers swell during the day?

You could always get some sort of bracelet made up, perhaps, as at least that way you could stare at it in idle moments, which you couldn't do with a pendant or earrings.
Yes silver, gold and even plastic.
No they dont swell.
I just let my wifey4vr wear em and I get to admire them. :}

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes silver, gold and even plastic.
No they dont swell.
I just let my wifey4vr wear em and I get to admire them. :}
That is weird... and very annoying :(

I think you and wifey4vr both do well in the end, though! :))

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I comment on people's jewelry all the time. My previous dr's receptionist has the most perfect .33ct blindingly white and sparkly platinum solitaire, and I used to ask her if I could look at it almost every time I went to the dr! Her ring was absolute testament to the fact that bigger is not always better. It didn't hurt, of course, that her hands were p-e-r-f-e-c-t!

I get regular, tho not frequent, comments on my jewelry. I don't think anyone gets lots and lots of comments. When all is said and done, it's just an accessory - and a super tiny one at that. People are more likely to notice your handbag or a new hair cut than they are a diamond ring. Just because it's so expensive, doesn't actually make it more obvious.

I've always said - there's no piece of jewelry, manicure, hair cut, or new pair of shoes that will have the same impact as losing 20 lbs. Good dental work is probably up there, but not much can compete with those 2 things. Maaaaaaybe a nose job if your nose was previously hideous. Jewelry, on the other hand, is an out-of-proportion cost in ratio to attention received, so it's best bought for one's own enjoyment. You'll never get $10,000 worth of affirmation out of a nice ring.

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
I get complements in my ring occasionally, even more when it was just a solitaire (before turning it into a 5 stone). When I get a complement I usually ask, “Are you looking at engagement rings” and am nearly almost always correct. Women notice it more when the are thinking/speaking about engagement with their significant other.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I used to have some cultured pearl stud earrings and wore them along with my Edwina necklace while passing through an airport shop on the way home from an overseas event. The shop clerk smiled at me as she rung me up, and she complimented me on my earrings, by saying, “good choice! I always say, fake diamonds & real pearls. That’s the way to go!”

I mean, there was nothing I could do but smile & nod. Thinking back over it now, I’m not offended at all - she probably sees cz’s all day long at her post!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I went in to my local jeweler today to get a link removed from each of my watches. The current president of AGS owns the store. His longtime employee did the work and asked if I’d like him to clean my anniversary ring (CBI) while I waited. He brought it back and told me, “That is a really freaking beautiful diamond.” :lol: @Wink I thought you should know! :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results