shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your most prized possession?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A material possession. Not a person or animal. An inanimate thing and not a living being.
Can you choose your one favorite above all else? Please share.

5AB4F6FA-7150-4E78-BF1A-508D408A22A7.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My external drive. It's got photos, documents... nearly everything of sentimental or of practical value that can be converted to binary is on this thing!

Second would be my E-ring and stud earrings (I'm calling these "one" item since I always store them together).

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It isn’t so much a prized possession, but the thing with the most emotional value. It’s the dog tags my late husband was wearing when he was shot down. Everything else can be repurchased or recreated. But that item, the one he wore close to his heart that day, they are priceless to me. I wear them to each memorial event. My son wore them on his graduation day.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ohsomethingshiny yes I can see why that is your most prized possession! Sentimental value adds that priceless value. (((Hugs))).

@yssie good one yes. Anything that has memorable photos is meaningful in a way that something you can just purchase is not. And of course I can see why your beautiful ring and earrings are up there for you too.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, a friend of mine worked somewhere in Africa for a while (I can't remember doing what, but I think it was along the lines of generally helping the community she was based in as required) and one day she recounted to me a conversation that she'd had with some of the locals she was working with.

IIRC she was telling them about how she had her own flat back here, and in that flat she had all her stuff.

IIRC (again) one of the questions that came back was "What do you do with all this stuff??". It seems (to me) that the concept of having a lot of stuff was bizarre to a community where there were no shops to go and spend a saturday shopping for nothing in particular, that nobody had the desire to work up the housing ladder to get a large house that then needed filling up with furniture and things they'd collected throughout their life.

I thought it was really interesting and it comes to mind quite regularly (such as now!) - I definitely have a lot of 'stuff', and have spent days lugging it between my old flat and various storage units, and sometimes I wonder "Is it really all worth it??".

I mean, it's nice to have things that you like, because you can look at them, think about what they mean, use them if they have a practical purpose and so on, but really... we come into this world with nothing and we go out of this world with nothing, so why do we need to accumulate so much stuff inbetween that point? If we've possessed something briefly, should we not let it go and create space either for something else to come along, or for us to focus more on developing ourselves and our families' skills, and on ways to really experience life by doing things rather than just owning things? If we can only take our memories with us into an afterlife that may or may not exist, surely they are more important?

The Japanese have some extreme Minimalism going on:
https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-36574697
https://www.treehugger.com/cleaning...ts-japan-take-simple-living-new-extremes.html
but would it really be possible to live like that when not living on a small and overcrowded island that has easy access to things when they are needed?

I don't know... I do wish I could let things go more easily than I do, but at the same time, having stuff can create options for enjoyment alongside the burden of keeping it!

Food for thought! :))

Q

Queenie60

I’m not attached to any one material thing that I own. Strange, isn’t it? My feeling is that anything material can be replaced. However, I understand how centimental items can be irreplaceable

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Baby pictures of my son.

And the hard copies of my degrees and my scholarship certs. LOL My formal education is a prized "possession" (I earned it, I own it).

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Baby pictures of my son.

And the hard copies of my degrees and my scholarship certs. LOL My formal education is a prized "possession" (I earned it, I own it).

cheers--Sharon

Ooh yes to this Sharon. We worked hard and long in school for our excellent education and for our knowledge and I’m thankful I had the opportunity.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not attached to any one material thing that I own. Strange, isn’t it? My feeling is that anything material can be replaced. However, I understand how centimental items can be irreplaceable

Not strange at all. I too am having difficulty with answering this question.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, a friend of mine worked somewhere in Africa for a while (I can't remember doing what, but I think it was along the lines of generally helping the community she was based in as required) and one day she recounted to me a conversation that she'd had with some of the locals she was working with.

IIRC she was telling them about how she had her own flat back here, and in that flat she had all her stuff.

IIRC (again) one of the questions that came back was "What do you do with all this stuff??". It seems (to me) that the concept of having a lot of stuff was bizarre to a community where there were no shops to go and spend a saturday shopping for nothing in particular, that nobody had the desire to work up the housing ladder to get a large house that then needed filling up with furniture and things they'd collected throughout their life.

I thought it was really interesting and it comes to mind quite regularly (such as now!) - I definitely have a lot of 'stuff', and have spent days lugging it between my old flat and various storage units, and sometimes I wonder "Is it really all worth it??".

I mean, it's nice to have things that you like, because you can look at them, think about what they mean, use them if they have a practical purpose and so on, but really... we come into this world with nothing and we go out of this world with nothing, so why do we need to accumulate so much stuff inbetween that point? If we've possessed something briefly, should we not let it go and create space either for something else to come along, or for us to focus more on developing ourselves and our families' skills, and on ways to really experience life by doing things rather than just owning things? If we can only take our memories with us into an afterlife that may or may not exist, surely they are more important?

The Japanese have some extreme Minimalism going on:
https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-36574697
https://www.treehugger.com/cleaning...ts-japan-take-simple-living-new-extremes.html
but would it really be possible to live like that when not living on a small and overcrowded island that has easy access to things when they are needed?

I don't know... I do wish I could let things go more easily than I do, but at the same time, having stuff can create options for enjoyment alongside the burden of keeping it!

Food for thought! :))

Agreed. No material possession is more valuable than loved ones. And the more stuff you have the more decisions you have to make and the more stuff you have to figure what to do with. Can be stressful. I’m a minimalist at heart. In reality I’m working towards that goal. Lol. For me it’s all about balance and what works for us. I don’t want to work for my stuff if you kwim.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tossup between a couple things seized from my Grandparent's house after my Grandpa died (old Spirograph, etc.), a "beef loaf" recipe he hand wrote to go with the meatloaf he and my grandma made me when I was healing from surgery, the thumb drive my cousin handed out with some interviews she had done with him about his time in Normandy/as a field medic during WW2...

oh and my AUTOGRAPHED by Betty White, New in Sealed package Funko ReAction Golden Girls Action Figures from Comiccon a few years ago. They're in a safe deposit box because they're worth about a new car right now.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For years I had an enormous attachment to my wedding album. Right now I do not even know where it is. I also do not know where my diplomas are. My daughter's baby book used to mean a great deal to me, too. I believe I at least know where that is: in the top right bureau drawer of my tall chest in our master bedroom in Virginia. I am not sure if any of these is "the most prized possession" I have. From a sentimental point of view, I would like to have a picture of my parents if I lost everything else.

AGBF

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'm at an age where you just naturally begin to let go of material attachments if you're of the mind that anything could be replaced, and that memories last forever so nothing would need to be replaced. I can't think of a single item. I am kind of superstitious about always keeping my wedding cake topper intact simply because it's so fragile and I'm amazed I haven't killed it yet. It's just a cheap glass double swan thing, popular in the 80's. But if it really was broken, I wouldn't give it too much thought. What am I ever going to use it for anyway? My kids wouldn't even want it. Everything can be replaced.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am one with a house bursting at the seams with non functional “possessions”.
I understand this about my purchasing.
I enjoy the search for certain items. I collect various types of porcelain, I collect antique watches amongst other things.
Aside from the mental stimulation of learning about my purchases, I recognize and respect their beauty and workmanship. I feel a sense of pride of ownership, especially the antique watches which are rescued from the “melt pot”! And I like the idea of having my “savings” in things of beauty which I can enjoy. Perhaps some might get a sense of accomplishment or security by seeing a $ number on a bank statement but I prefer to enjoy and love my savings in real items.
Many animals collect and display “possessions”, it’s usually part of an elaborate mating procedure.
I respect that many do not share my ideas of collecting possessions of nonfunctional use for pleasure, for the challenge, for the pride of owning something rare and special but that’s the beauty of humans, we are all different.
And my most precious possession is a wee gold signet ring.
At age 7 I started saving my birthday money and doing extra chores for a whole year to purchase this ring. My desire to own this ring helped me understand that to acquire things you love and want, sacrifices (not spending my 10 cents on sweets or an ice cream) and effort (extra chores) are required. It was an very valuable lesson to learn and has stood me in good stead.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a good question! I think my most prized possession is sentimental things like vintage jewellery from my grandmas or antique furniture from my grandpa. Things that cannot be replicated or replaced. Hard pressed to say one item specifically though... :think:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Baby pictures of my son.

cheers--Sharon

For years I had an enormous attachment to my wedding album. Right now I do not even know where it is. I also do not know where my diplomas are. My daughter's baby book used to mean a great deal to me, too. I believe I at least know where that is: in the top right bureau drawer of my tall chest in our master bedroom in Virginia. I am not sure if any of these is "the most prized possession" I have. From a sentimental point of view, I would like to have a picture of my parents if I lost everything else.

AGBF

These posts have just reminded me that I don't know where any of my important paperwork is - Degree certificate, birth certificate, GCSE and A-Level certificates...

My mum kept them safe in the paperwork cabinet for years and then gave them to me to look after because she was making space and I was old enough (or just old lol) to have them... That clearly was not a good move! :lol:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably my original wedding ring. We had matching ones. DH has worn his way more than I wore mine. We were poor and they were expensive, when gold was at it's highest price. Since they were the ones we exchanged, they are very special to me.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Computer with pics, photo albums and my studs. One of them is my original ering stone. Wait, just one? Studs then. All our photos are also stored in the cloud. Guess I'm thinking about in the event of an emergency.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the house was burning down I'd get my son and the pets. I'd be more worried about the animals than personal possessions. Everything is replaceable. People and pets are not.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My MIL is 85 and is very attached to her material objects. She suffers tremendously because she is SO sentimental about so many items. That is something that has influenced my life too, since my parents have been gone for decades. I don't ever want to feel so strongly about an inanimate object! My husband is somewhat the opposite of me too. I find it very liberating to be able to walk away from possessions if need be. I would love less clutter, but it's not my stuff, lol.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It would have to be family photos. You can't replace those.

It's really my salvation, but according to the rules I'm not supposed to say that. ;))

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd have to say my boat; not because it's a boat, but more the effort I put into the rebuild and updates since I have had it. When I first got it the paint scheme was ugly, had a worn out leaky cover and needed work. So I decided to strip it back bare and repaint the entire boat in the same scheme as my father's boat so they were senior and junior boats, I also installed new wiring and fittings all over, got a new all weather cover setup, new cabin cushions, new trailer, rebuilt the 70hp Yamaha outboard, heaps and heaps of work. I upgraded to a 2014 Honda outboard recently and use about 1/3 the fuel that I used to consume with the old Yamaha, it is quieter, makes the boat ride better and has no smell.

If anything were to happen to it I would be devastated...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the house was burning down I'd get my son and the pets. I'd be more worried about the animals than personal possessions. Everything is replaceable. People and pets are not.

No question whatsoever. Not even a little bit up for debate. 100% in agreement as I am sure we all are.

It would have to be family photos. You can't replace those.

It's really my salvation, but according to the rules I'm not supposed to say that. ;))

I agree about memorable photos of loved ones and hahaha that cannot be true...of course you can write salvation.:kiss: I think it is a good word. Like my dh is my salvation. Or I donate things to the Salvation Army. 8-):cheeky: Anyway yes to photos @Ellen :appl:

I'd have to say my boat; not because it's a boat, but more the effort I put into the rebuild and updates since I have had it. When I first got it the paint scheme was ugly, had a worn out leaky cover and needed work. So I decided to strip it back bare and repaint the entire boat in the same scheme as my father's boat so they were senior and junior boats, I also installed new wiring and fittings all over, got a new all weather cover setup, new cabin cushions, new trailer, rebuilt the 70hp Yamaha outboard, heaps and heaps of work. I upgraded to a 2014 Honda outboard recently and use about 1/3 the fuel that I used to consume with the old Yamaha, it is quieter, makes the boat ride better and has no smell.

If anything were to happen to it I would be devastated...

There's a lot of love you have put into that boat Jordy. I can see why you cherish it so. It's a work of love and dedication and brings you hours and hours of enjoyment and productivity too.

I think I'm at an age where you just naturally begin to let go of material attachments if you're of the mind that anything could be replaced, and that memories last forever so nothing would need to be replaced. I can't think of a single item. I am kind of superstitious about always keeping my wedding cake topper intact simply because it's so fragile and I'm amazed I haven't killed it yet. It's just a cheap glass double swan thing, popular in the 80's. But if it really was broken, I wouldn't give it too much thought. What am I ever going to use it for anyway? My kids wouldn't even want it. Everything can be replaced.

My MIL is 85 and is very attached to her material objects. She suffers tremendously because she is SO sentimental about so many items. That is something that has influenced my life too, since my parents have been gone for decades. I don't ever want to feel so strongly about an inanimate object! My husband is somewhat the opposite of me too. I find it very liberating to be able to walk away from possessions if need be. I would love less clutter, but it's not my stuff, lol.

Very healthy thinking. And I agree (though I am quite imperfect because I still get attached to stuff but not as much as when I was younger for sure).

I am not attached to a single thing.

If I ever get that muscle car I’m coveting...maybe. ;)2

Ooh can I join you for a ride when you get that car you are coveting? And what muscle car is it that you desire?

Computer with pics, photo albums and my studs. One of them is my original ering stone. Wait, just one? Studs then. All our photos are also stored in the cloud. Guess I'm thinking about in the event of an emergency.

Always good to have a plan in place!:appl:

Probably my original wedding ring. We had matching ones. DH has worn his way more than I wore mine. We were poor and they were expensive, when gold was at it's highest price. Since they were the ones we exchanged, they are very special to me.

Those that demand the most sacrifice usually mean the most to us I find.

My mother's wedding ring. She designed it and had it made in NYC in 1950.

Oh that sounds lovely. Could you share a photo with us if possible?

It’s a good question! I think my most prized possession is sentimental things like vintage jewellery from my grandmas or antique furniture from my grandpa. Things that cannot be replicated or replaced. Hard pressed to say one item specifically though... :think:

I too cherish things from my grandparents that cannot be replaced.

I am one with a house bursting at the seams with non functional “possessions”.
I understand this about my purchasing.
I enjoy the search for certain items. I collect various types of porcelain, I collect antique watches amongst other things.
Aside from the mental stimulation of learning about my purchases, I recognize and respect their beauty and workmanship. I feel a sense of pride of ownership, especially the antique watches which are rescued from the “melt pot”! And I like the idea of having my “savings” in things of beauty which I can enjoy. Perhaps some might get a sense of accomplishment or security by seeing a $ number on a bank statement but I prefer to enjoy and love my savings in real items.
Many animals collect and display “possessions”, it’s usually part of an elaborate mating procedure.
I respect that many do not share my ideas of collecting possessions of nonfunctional use for pleasure, for the challenge, for the pride of owning something rare and special but that’s the beauty of humans, we are all different.
And my most precious possession is a wee gold signet ring.
At age 7 I started saving my birthday money and doing extra chores for a whole year to purchase this ring. My desire to own this ring helped me understand that to acquire things you love and want, sacrifices (not spending my 10 cents on sweets or an ice cream) and effort (extra chores) are required. It was an very valuable lesson to learn and has stood me in good stead.

Very valuable lesson indeed especially for one so young. Smart lady and you were a smart little one too.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's surprisingly hard to come up with an object that I treasure that much. Most things are replaceable, or else I enjoy them enough to keep them but would not bother replacing them.

That said, I am very sentimental about a baby booties charm that my dad gave my mom when my older brother was born, and a painting my dad made of the tailor shop he owned when he was young, in his hometown in Italy.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It isn’t so much a prized possession, but the thing with the most emotional value. It’s the dog tags my late husband was wearing when he was shot down. Everything else can be repurchased or recreated. But that item, the one he wore close to his heart that day, they are priceless to me. I wear them to each memorial event. My son wore them on his graduation day.
I’m so sorry ohsomethingshiny..Love and hugs to you and your son..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
A material possession. Not a person or animal. An inanimate thing and not a living being.
Can you choose your one favorite above all else? Please share.

5AB4F6FA-7150-4E78-BF1A-508D408A22A7.png
I have one from each child..My oldest had a bird shirt that I had to wash every evening so he could wear it the next day. He was not even two..He would say “bird shirt” when he woke up..I had to get him dressed in it pronto!
The middle guy saved up his money in pennies and nickels all the way up to a dollar..He wanted me to take him to this bargain store like dollar stores today. I thought he would buy himself a toy but he bought me these huge puffy watercolor plastic earrings..I was so touched I cried. He was three years old. I wore them to church and he was so proud..My husband couldn’t believe I would wear them outside..I got some snickers but I was a proud mama. I still have them.
My youngest has autism..He’s an adult now.but when he went to school at three he made me an angel for my Christmas tree out of a white paper plate. The plate was for the wings..The teacher pasted a photo of him in the center. It has sparkly glitter all over it.I put it in my family tree every year. It’s extremely fragile because it’s so old. I wrap it in tissue and it has its own box to keep it safe until the next year.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

AGBF
I've been married almost 15 years and I still haven't done my wedding album. My photographer gave up on me LOL

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results