shape
carat
color
clarity

Crazy Rich Asians

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Has anyone checked out the bling in this movie? Made me think of a few of our forum members. :D

https://www.thewrap.com/crazy-rich-asians-how-mega-rich-world-was-created-for-30-million/

“Kevin [Kwan] was on par the whole time, saying, ‘People who know watches will know that that’s not an expensive watch,'” Chu told TheWrap. “I was like, ‘Kevin, that’s a $150,000 watch!’ And he’s like, ‘That’s not good enough, we have to get that $500,000 watch.’

Kwan, the author of the book on which the movie is based, added, “I was able to help procure a vintage Rolex Paul Newman ‘Panda’ Daytona valued at $600,000 from a watch collector that we flew half-way around the world for a particular scene.”

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The trailer came across my FB feed today lol. Is it out yet?

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@whitewave Yes it's out! Bring tissues. The mahjong scene hit me right in the feels.

Watch out for the emerald 3 stone. Turns out it's from Michelle Yeoh's personal collection!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave Yes it's out! Bring tissues. The mahjong scene hit me right in the feels.

Watch out for the emerald 3 stone. Turns out it's from Michelle Yeoh's personal collection!
That emerald was stunning! :kiss2::love:

Loved the movie. It was funny and I loved the bling!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read on the other forum that in one mahjong scene, Michelle Yeoh is wearing a VCA item, but cannot for the life of me remember what it is, nor can I find the relevant post. Can anyone enlighten me pls, as to what that VCA item is?

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not a VCA expert, but here's a photo of her there:

17-crazy-rich-asians-mahjong.w700.h467.2x.jpg

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No problem. You were one of the forum members I was thinking of. :)

LOL. I am most definitely not rich, not like these rich Asians.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just started reading the book, can't wait to see the movie.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's definitely going on the to-watch list!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Topped the Box Office in sales this past weekend... since last Wednesday’s premiere it’s made $34M. I can’t wait to see it!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even this white as a ghost Caucasian thinks this movie looks hilarious. I don’t think I will understand the mahjong scene.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It was a funny movie! And yes, beautiful bling. :love:

I am not familiar with mahjong and probably missed some of the significance of it but still enjoyed it thoroughly!

bv_jewels

Rough_Rock
Has anyone checked out the bling in this movie? Made me think of a few of our forum members. :D

https://www.thewrap.com/crazy-rich-asians-how-mega-rich-world-was-created-for-30-million/

“Kevin [Kwan] was on par the whole time, saying, ‘People who know watches will know that that’s not an expensive watch,'” Chu told TheWrap. “I was like, ‘Kevin, that’s a $150,000 watch!’ And he’s like, ‘That’s not good enough, we have to get that $500,000 watch.’

Kwan, the author of the book on which the movie is based, added, “I was able to help procure a vintage Rolex Paul Newman ‘Panda’ Daytona valued at $600,000 from a watch collector that we flew half-way around the world for a particular scene.”

Stumbled on this - https://medium.com/@vaz.briana/crazy-rich-asian-millennials-fc3b0bb3f20e

"Todays Chinese millennials, aged 19 to 35, were all born during the “One-Child Policy” period. These “little emperors” and “little empresses,” as they are often known because of their singular importance within a family unit, were at the center of their universe when they grew up. They are privileged, entitled and enjoy a good life. They like luxury and they are quick to pick up trends that are marketed to them. This is the single largest consumption class is shaping the economics of Asia’s biggest market."

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can remember being at University going out with a middle class greek friend who had rich greek relatives and at the time they were discussing watches, they took one look at what I'd consider a decent watch and in a scene probably like what is being described above declared that's a cheap watch. Apparently if it doesn't cost the price of a decent car or a small house it's not an expensive watch.

Obviously one's man's expensive is another's trash in more than one culture.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even this white as a ghost Caucasian thinks this movie looks hilarious. I don’t think I will understand the mahjong scene.
I know how to play the old HK game but not the new game that my friends play nowadays.
Idunno1.gif
. I haven't play mahjong in almost 30 yrs. My wife play at least 2X a week now.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Book is pretty hilarious. It’s like an Asian Pride and Prejudice. But honestly the storyline is a lot like the old school Hong Kong TVB soap operas. Poor girl meets rich boy whose family doesn’t approve of poor girl and poor girl’s family. Of course rich family does everything to break them up and it all backfires. The details of the crazy rich are fun to read.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to go to see this with my daughter, hopefully this weekend! She was adopted from China so it's a cultural event for us! :lol: Nah, who am I kidding? While I like romantic comedies, I am going for the jewels!!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And there are several references to JAR in the book. I fact the heroine’s ering is by JAR. @yssie.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We used to play mahjong every Sunday afternoon :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We went to see it last night! It was a cute movie! Even though our daughter was adopted when she was 6 months old, she did an art project in college making mahjong tiles and learned somewhat to play it. So she DID get the mahjong scene and explained it to me! Yay! lol! Otherwise I would have had to look at links above! It's pretty much a chick flick, but it was entertaining and I very much enjoyed having a look into that culture! Loved the main characters!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results