shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Costco cushion ring?

Kayaluna

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I’m shopping for a tenth anniversary upgrade and I think I like this Costco diamond. I purchased it, but of course I can still return it. What do you guys think of this cushion? I looked at Novo and Lucida at Tiffany and also cushions at David Yurman and I feel this Costco one looks nicer than any of those. But for an F color, I feel like maybe it’s a little yellow? Or maybe I’m just extra sensitive to color and should stick to D and E. What do you guys think? I attached the GIA certificate. TIA!

85C71D2D-70B5-4FB4-AA68-EFD3F1580061.jpeg 2591128D-477A-4EB7-8792-6B3F83D20D4F.jpeg

Attachments

• 1236941gia.pdf
    549.7 KB · Views: 228

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It very well could be my eyes, but the diamond in the ring/picture does not look to me like it matches the dimensions of what is in the GIA cert. Have you taken it to a jeweler to verify the GIA inscription and measurements by chance? I don’t think Costco would swap stones, but it looks more square to me than the dimensions state.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not the best, but still decent.
The stone has some leakage here and there. But I would not say detrimental.
cushion.png
The stone appears a bit yellow. It may be because of the warm lighting environment. The yellowness may be from your finger. Definitely have it appraised by a reputable and independant appraiser.

Kayaluna

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your input! There don’t seem to be any guidelines for buying cushion cuts, so I guess I just have to go by my own personal preferences? I have an H&A diamond for my original engagement ring and I always seem to have cushion envy so I think I should just go for a cushion. Just feel a little lost when trying to figure out what to look for, so any insight is much appreciated!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Cushions can be a real challenge. But once you find “the one” it’s well worth it! =)2

I also see some faint color, but wonder if it’s reflecting what you’re wearing or something in the environment. That said, the cut tends to concentrate any color that may be present. I have a G color cushion and occasionally it behaves very differently, colorwise, compared to my other cuts.

Unfortunately, there aren’t straightforward guidelines in finding cushions as there are for rounds. There are just too many variations of the cut. When I was on the hunt for mine, I found this guide by CharmyPoo to be invaluable. She does list some ranges to consider, but you definitely need to see the stone in person to judge

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...rience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/

If you share which style of cushions you’re drawn to, along with your budget and other desired specs, I’m certain we can you help search for some options.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you take some pics in other lighting? It does look yellow, which is strange for a GIA F. Is your phone case yellow or gold perchance?

Kayaluna

Rough_Rock
Cushions can be a real challenge. But once you find “the one” it’s well worth it! =)2

I also see some faint color, but wonder if it’s reflecting what you’re wearing or something in the environment. That said, the cut tends to concentrate any color that may be present. I have a G color cushion and occasionally it behaves very differently, colorwise, compared to my other cuts.

Unfortunately, there aren’t straightforward guidelines in finding cushions as there are for rounds. There are just too many variations of the cut. When I was on the hunt for mine, I found this guide by CharmyPoo to be invaluable. She does list some ranges to consider, but you definitely need to see the stone in person to judge

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...rience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/

If you share which style of cushions you’re drawn to, along with your budget and other desired specs, I’m certain we can you help search for some options.

Thanks for the link, stonewell! I guess I started off liking the Tiffany Novo but liked it less when I saw it in person and saw the prices! I feel like the Costco ring is pretty good and within budget, but I don’t necessarily trust my own inexperienced eye, so I was just seeking opinions on this ring for now. What do you think of it?

Kayaluna

Rough_Rock
Here are some more photos. Sorry for my dry hands! I didn’t want to put lotion on in case I end up returning the ring.

4693E0FA-B22C-49C5-A79F-1C1237005393.jpeg 9C40E962-F281-45D1-970E-31B0C28D17B8.jpeg 75747A49-6D2E-4C26-920E-319F9791F082.jpeg

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the link, stonewell! I guess I started off liking the Tiffany Novo but liked it less when I saw it in person and saw the prices! I feel like the Costco ring is pretty good and within budget, but I don’t necessarily trust my own inexperienced eye, so I was just seeking opinions on this ring for now. What do you think of it?

I like that it’s a GIA graded stone - Costco has loosen its quality range in the recent couple of years, imho, so this is a great find.

The stone also looks very nice for a modified cushion cut. I agree with @flyingpig that there are some leakage points and they don’t appear detrimental. It certainly is not to the degree I usually see in this style of cushion. I also like that it isn’t overly deep. So you’re getting a great face-up size for the carat weight.

It’s fantastic to hear it is within your budget - the most important question is whether you love it? If so, then you have an absolute winner. =)2

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here are some more photos. Sorry for my dry hands! I didn’t want to put lotion on in case I end up returning the ring.

4693E0FA-B22C-49C5-A79F-1C1237005393.jpeg 9C40E962-F281-45D1-970E-31B0C28D17B8.jpeg 75747A49-6D2E-4C26-920E-319F9791F082.jpeg

Now these are pics more representative of the graded F color. I love the facet patterning. Beautiful!! :love:

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think its lovely! enjoy

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's really beautiful!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh yes, the new pics make it look very nice!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty cushion! I would keep it! :))

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely! How are you feeling about the color now?

Kayaluna

Rough_Rock
Lovely! How are you feeling about the color now?

I don’t really notice the color when it’s on my hand, so I guess it just comes out in pictures. It’s interesting what stonewell said above about cushions retaining color more than other cuts, I have heard that too. I will definitely get the size and color double checked by an appraiser though, as others have suggested.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Costco jewelry but and engagement ring is the one thing I would try to buy elsewhere, unless it is just such a killer deal that you can't pass it up. While Costco's stones are pretty good, there are some duds. If you love it, keep it but I would definitely check some other vendors and see what you can do. My guess is, you could find the stone for approximately the price you paid, but it's like getting the setting for free. If you want it to be a forever ring, you need to do your research to make sure you are getting the best cut stone you can. Just my .02 cents.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love costco, for the price and the unbeatable return policy if any issue.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think this is great and I imagine the price was decent at Costco. I say it’s definitely a keeper, and t sounds like you have looked around. A diamond might not sound as romantic coming from Costco, but we all know it’s about the stone and this looks like a beauty!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you mind letting us know how much you paid for the ring so that we can attempt the challenge of seeing if we can put together something better from scratch?

If we can't, keep the ring!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I think it looks nice and if you're happy with it, that says a lot - you could have picked a lucky stone, it happens.

We can see what else is out there if you like just so you can compare before the sale is final?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like it and if GIA says its an F it probably is.

Kayaluna

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your comments! As far as pricing something similar out, I actually am kind of flexible on pricing, I just want to find the nicest cushion available in the 2.0-2.5 carat range. I prefer F color and above, VS2 or better. If you find any that you think have a great cut, let me know! :)

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think this is a great looking stone, with excellent specs! And I love the setting it's in! I wouldn't have ever thought you could find a stone like this one in Costco! I would keep it if I were you! I think you found something of high quality and it's beautiful!!!

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks really good to my eye and GIA cert gives confidence as well

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results