shape
carat
color
clarity

JS 1.67 G vs BN 1.61 F which one I should choose?

cc0623

Rough_Rock
This is the stone from JS. 1.67 G VS2 HCA 1.6
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...rat-g-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-3160816
http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104094181007-PLDQR.PDF

BN 1.61 F VS2 HCA 1.9
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08676469

Which is better? Are they good stone with this price? Or is there any other stone with this price range? Under 1.7k? I am looking for above G VS2 ( SI 1 is eye clean) over 1.5 carat. Signature ideal or true heart cut

Thanks very much for your advice!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of the 2 you posted, based on the video I don't really think the BN stone can be eyeclean in person... and the JA stone is an AGS OOO and has a sweet 55% table so for me that's the one I'd go for.

cc0623

Rough_Rock
Of the 2 you posted, based on the video I don't really think the BN stone can be eyeclean in person... and the JA stone is an AGS OOO and has a sweet 55% table so for me that's the one I'd go for.

Thank you marymmm! I'm not sure about the BN one. For JS one I checked with customer service they said it is eye clean

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that F color though-- so bright!

The G is pretty too. Two pretty stones....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hang on... Firstly, the BN stone is a VS2 - normally eye clean. Also - it's a BN sig cut, and those stones, as part of their signature branding, are guaranteed eye clean. And I like the F color, whereas I think the JA stone has a lot of tint for a G. So I would definitely vote the BN stone. I also don't like the way the heads of the arrows line up with the stems of the arrows, so not for me.

cc0623

Rough_Rock
Hang on... Firstly, the BN stone is a VS2 - normally eye clean. Also - it's a BN sig cut, and those stones, as part of their signature branding, are guaranteed eye clean. And I like the F color, whereas I think the JA stone has a lot of tint for a G. So I would definitely vote the BN stone. I also don't like the way the heads of the arrows line up with the stems of the arrows, so not for me.

Thank you! I just checked with BN they said it is eye clean! I have also heard the color grade for AGS is softer than GIA...... but that's 1.67.....hard choice for me... I don't quite understand the arrows and heads thing is that important? The BN one is different?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The choices seem so close you might as well throw the dice !

JA stone has a lot of tint for a G.

Funny colors throughout the JA videos ... [Perhaps what the camera sees ? Interesting for me.]

If it weren't for the H&A brand, I wouldn't see the respective details of arrows at all ! They are there, starkly highlighted in green on the ASET ...

Last edited:

cc0623

Rough_Rock

I just checked with BN and they said it is eye clean in person. And I heard that AGS grade color softer than Gia... suach a hard choice for me

cc0623

Rough_Rock
The choices seem so close you might as well throw the dice !

Funny colors throughout the videos ... [Perhaps what the camera sees ? Interesting for me.]

If it weren't for the H&A brand, I wouldn't see the respective details of arrows at all ! They are there, starkly highlighted in green on the ASET ...
I compared both F and G stone for Gia and AGS on JA they all seem have tint so I guess it might because of their camera

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I compared both F and G stone for Gia and AGS on JA they all seem have tint so I guess it might because of their camera

Any chance you could see any GIA F & G in person ? In set stones of this size, I doubt you would notice anything; on unset diamonds, maybe - but , it is not easy - color grading takes a certain mindset !

F & G are still high, narrow grades. D & E - I could never tell those apart (what grading training is for).

________
Digressing,

I imagine that JA might be leery about adjusting the videos to reflect the visual impression of colour from the diamonds at X1 magnification (rather than keeping the 'truth of the camera') ... Then, there are a few hilareously brown Es & Ds - another problem I'd bet they are addressing much more enthusiastically (relatively easy matter of standard environment, & balk-proof).

My background for these considerations is the history of colour grading - developing a standard procedure & light environment etc. took a while. No reason to imagine that maintaining standard imaging conditions is painless ... The other problem of realism is not even hung out to dry yet !

Fun trivia ... as long as one is not under any preassure to decide on a purchase !

Last edited:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take a look: WWW

I've just caught up with a great PS thread showing - in beautiful photography, a 4 ct J ~H&A. As expected, the stone looks very colour-less in some circumstances, and less so in others - light, anything reflecting etc. does account for these differences (IHMO, the 'J' grade is more about diamonds loosing the presumption of colourlessness, than really carying any visible colour ... the 'Near Colourless' wording is very right !). The most colored of those shots come close to the JA video of the G !

4 ct J - 1.5 ct G ...

['I do like writing about these things, as you see ... ]

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW I am a fan of Blue Nile - I've bought from BN several times and proudly wear a ring with two of their Signature H&A cushion-cut diamonds.

That said, I checked over their website and could not find their definition of eye-clean.

Looking at the BN diamond posted by OP in the first post above, the dark crystal inclusion was immediately visible to me; and my personal experience is that kind of inclusion, and its easy visibility on video, translates to an inclusion I would be able to easily see at 6 inches away.

My own definition of eye-clean is nothing visible top or sides from 6" inches.

Many diamond vendors define eye-clean as nothing easily visible from top view by the average human eye from 10" or even 12" away.

OP, if you are comfortable with Blue Nile's definition of eye-clean and/or if it matches your own definition, then for you the BN stone may be the right choice. I'd still encourage you to purchase it loose and have it sent to you so you can examine it in your various lighting environments to confirm it is the one for you.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the BN. I have a BN Signature and it's beautiful. Si1, completely eye-clean, even to my daughter with her perfect young eyes. BN doesn't get a lot of love on these boards, but it's a very good option.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be the JA stone for me. I like the AGS000, smaller table and bigger arrows. They are literally the same size so that doesnt account for anything
to me. Slightly lower price on the JA is a small plus. I can not get all the arrows to darken up at once on the BN stone...so I'm not liking how it looks
under the table. Could have something to do with photog set up but if you do get this stone I agree with others to have it sent to you first. I see no reason
to have to have the JA stone sent to you first. It looks pretty 'normal' to me*. That's my* take on it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the BN. I have a BN Signature and it's beautiful. Si1, completely eye-clean, even to my daughter with her perfect young eyes. BN doesn't get a lot of love on these boards, but it's a very good option.

I have loved every diamond I have bought from Blue Nile, especially my asscher that I bought blind. I have a lot of love for them. My studs were set and overnighted and I received them the next day!

I vote for that gorgeous F. If you send it back, make sure it gets back to them by day 30.

cc0623

Rough_Rock
FWIW I am a fan of Blue Nile - I've bought from BN several times and proudly wear a ring with two of their Signature H&A cushion-cut diamonds.

That said, I checked over their website and could not find their definition of eye-clean.

Looking at the BN diamond posted by OP in the first post above, the dark crystal inclusion was immediately visible to me; and my personal experience is that kind of inclusion, and its easy visibility on video, translates to an inclusion I would be able to easily see at 6 inches away.

My own definition of eye-clean is nothing visible top or sides from 6" inches.

Many diamond vendors define eye-clean as nothing easily visible from top view by the average human eye from 10" or even 12" away.

OP, if you are comfortable with Blue Nile's definition of eye-clean and/or if it matches your own definition, then for you the BN stone may be the right choice. I'd still encourage you to purchase it loose and have it sent to you so you can examine it in your various lighting environments to confirm it is the one for you.

Thanks again marymmm. I checked with again to see their definition of eye clean. Here is the answer:

"
Oh, so that's a small cloud near a pair of very small crystals. At a glance it wouldn't be terribly visible, and if you're purchasing in the US we offer a label to help get it back for return or refund if you don't love it in person.

Signature stones are supposed to be eye-clean at a 1 carat stone, but the bigger the stone is, the harder it is to ensure that it is.

Let me rephrase: Being eye-clean is not a standard required to pass a stone through Signature Ideal status. But they do take it into account prior to passing the stone. If it is obtrusive to the point where it changes the clarity grade or obscures the stone, then the stone is rejected."

So it is not "guaranteed" eye clean..........

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ to the extent it is helpful, please also note the above quote doesn't actually include how Blue Nile defines "eye-clean."

cc0623

Rough_Rock
^ to the extent it is helpful, please also note the above quote doesn't actually include how Blue Nile defines "eye-clean."

I asked this question 3 times and the above are what their representative told me each time.... so my understanding is they don't guarantee eye clean they just consider it.

cc0623

Rough_Rock

Hi! I decided to buy the BN one. Just let you know I chat with several BN representatives to figure out what's their eye clean definition is. Basically it is no inclusion will be seen by people with normal eye in about 6-8 inches. I am definitely ok with it so I choose BN.

Thank you for your advice :)

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be sure to come back with photos!

cc0623

Rough_Rock
Sure!
I got lots of help here

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm dying to see it!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - so glad you got extra verification on the BN stone and are going for it ... it is so worthwhile to check the stone out loose if you have the time/opportunity - I hope it is exactly (or better than) what you're looking for! I'll follow this thread so I am sure to read your update after you receive the stone - excited to hear what you think!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results