carat
color
clarity

Need some help looking for a diamond...

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

I previously posted with some questions about ovals, here's that thread.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oval-diamonds.232273/

I am looking for an oval diamond with he following parameters:
Size - 1ct or a little more.
Clarity - vs2 or above needs to be mind clean, not just eye clean.
Colour - G or above, I am colour sensitive.
Ratio - 1:30-1:45. 1:35-40 is my sweet spot.
Budget - $5500 but could potentially go a little higher.
Florescence - none is preferable, I could deal with faint but the effect past that is not for me.

I want something super sparkly, with chunkier facets and very little mush! I have been looking for over a month as I decided to hold off purchasing and lots of my favourites have been sold during that time. I think I have learnt enough to get rid of the real duds but I am struggling with whether there is sufficient sparkle at the ends and whether there is too much mush in the middle, or the overall appearance is too dark. :shock:

Can the good people of pricescope help? I have been engaged for 5 years without a ring and this won't ever be upgraded, I just want to get it right! I'm in the UK as well so the diamond will be sent straight to David Klass so I won't be able to judge it for myself. I have been looking at James Allen.

Open to thoughts and help of course!

Thanks
Meely

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One idea: WWW (edited)

I looked for the cut, asuming that the idea find would come with a pair of 'arrows' instead of bow-tie (not in this stone), and not much secondary reflections aroudn the ends (mush, pinfire). Not many anywhere within your specified range ! - although there are plenty of nice ovals of different cut character

A few deeper ovals (65% - 69%) seem ever nicer - the 'arrows' dissapear leaving ever more even brighteness instead; the flurry of secondary reflections (pinfire) washes almost entirely off the ends too. Of course, that depth eats a few tenths of a mm off the L & W dimensions, and ASET shots may ... courve my enthusiasm for some of the less than ten stoenes on the JA list I am referring to.

Last edited:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Valeria, thank you for the reply it's very nice but it's too much, max spend would be $5850 and I'm pushing it with that. I should have been more specific.
If there are other nice ovals I would like to see?!
Do you think the fact we are in August is effecting my options or would that not be an issue at this size/price bracket?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had seen it, I would have proposed it ! It fits the parameters I mentioned as well as the D I chose, and a few details are better: the Ex-EX finish & the VVS overkill are nice to have (much like the D overkill !).

I would want to see ASETs, since the shop does provide the service.

In fact, not sure what much more to ask from an oval of this cut style.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@meely,
That stone is SOLD...please tell me it's YOURS!!!
It's beautiful, seems to be everything you're looking for...and falls inside your budget!!
I do hope you purchased it!!!
CRM

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Matthews
I did ask them to put it on hold for me but I haven't had confirmation 45 minutes later so I think it may have been bought by someone else :(sad
If that is the case I suspect they were looking at this thread because that stone had been on for a little while.
We shall see...

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Matthews
I did ask them to put it on hold for me but I haven't had confirmation 45 minutes later so I think it may have been bought by someone else :(sad
If that is the case I suspect they were looking at this thread because that stone had been on for a little while.
We shall see...

:(2
I'm so sorry. I hope it hasn't been sold, and you receive confirmation that it's on hold for you. Fingers crossed for you!
:mrgreen2:
CRM

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I chased them up and got an email it is indeed reserved for me! :DThink this whole diamond buying process is a bit panic inducing! They have the aset on file but yet to receive that.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have just received the aset, admittedly I know very little and would be happy to be corrected but it's not looking so great to me. Can some oval experts chime in please?

IMG_9659.JPG

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have just received the aset, admittedly I know very little and would be happy to be corrected but it's not looking so great to me. Can some oval experts chime in please?

IMG_9659.JPG

Difficult to say. I'd prefer the background be black to know if the white "leakage" areas are TRUE areas of leakage...
What you want to look for is more Red & Green areas on the ASET. Blue is ok, as long as it appears slight & close to Red & Green on the ASET. White indicates bare spots or where light leaks out, rather than returning for brightness/brilliance...
The fact that the background is White makes it more difficult to determine....
Maybe someone else can be more helpful? I'm still in the beginner stages, learning about ASETs, myself.....

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
not looking so great to me

Same impression ...

Do you need to reserve stones in order to see ASETs ? I'd be curious of one or two of the deeper cut ovals (will post one or two shortly).

[dare I say ... I wouldn't hate such a diamond, knowing all to well what is missing ... ]

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The F seems slightly more tempting...

Then again, I wish there were an ASET for video !

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...rity=VS1,VVS2,VVS1&PriceFrom=200&PriceTo=5500
By cutting the size parameters between 0.90-0.99, I was able to locate 40 diamonds in higher clarity range in the same color scope as you described. Do any of these interest you? Or are you set at 1.00+?

...and then I found 3...
Carat range 0.97-1.10
Color G-D
Clarity VS1-IF
EX/EX

This maxes out your budget....

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...o=60&DepthFrom=63&DepthTo=67&Flour=None,Faint

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you contacted Good Old Gold? They are very good at finding fancy cuts like ovals.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GOG is awesome to work with, too!! I reached out to them, last year pertaining to an idea for custom, bespoke wedding bands, and they were amazing! I'd work with them in a heartbeat!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry not to reply yesterday I had a busy rest of day. Thank you for all the suggestions and help.
Matthews of those three suggestions I had already saved two on my favourites!
ECF I have considered reaching out to gog but I am concerned about what they will find me with my budget, the hitting one carat thing is important to me.
Valeria thank you for that other suggestion it looks good.
Truth by told I am feeling pretty over whelmed and wondering if I might be better getting something here in the UK. :(2
I went to Grays Antique market on Friday and tried on some rings, one I really liked but there were compromises attached. Hmmm
I think I will post the aset I have in a new post and ask if there are any more views on it as it's still on hold.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I will post the aset I have in a new post and ask if there are any more views on it as it's still on hold.

Pricescope is fairly consistent, but ...

I wonder how much of what is said here makes any sense, unless you'd know more than all of us already (more common sense does count for allot).

I hope you wouldn't give up, of course !

If the stones were lined up, perhaps one would stand out. Having them like this, takes a bit of sleuthing.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Footnote: since yesterday, the F (this) has been getting ever more interesting to me.

E.g. the stone has obviously more bright areas - the expected area accross the short diameter, as all ovals, and the two ends - like not so many.

The stone is deep-ish, but does have nice spread (because the girdle is not very thinck overall the 'Thick' portions that account for the 'Thin-Thick' specification on the report are just at the ends - having to do with the respective extra brightness IHMO)

Of course, the grades are impecable F, VS, Ex-Ex ...

Sleuthing ...

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry not to reply yesterday I had a busy rest of day. Thank you for all the suggestions and help.
Matthews of those three suggestions I had already saved two on my favourites!
ECF I have considered reaching out to gog but I am concerned about what they will find me with my budget, the hitting one carat thing is important to me.
Valeria thank you for that other suggestion it looks good.
Truth by told I am feeling pretty over whelmed and wondering if I might be better getting something here in the UK. :(2
I went to Grays Antique market on Friday and tried on some rings, one I really liked but there were compromises attached. Hmmm

So glad great minds think alike (on diamonds....lol!)!
Do not be dismayed!! This process, even in person, is extremely painstaking. You know what you want. Now, you just have to find it! Take a step back & breathe! All of the advice you have received has been good, sound advice from individuals who have been in your shoes (except me...I have yet to venture an online purchase). Take some time to consider their input, and examine the videos & ASETs, and mull everything over.
I do hope you will continue to share info on your stones...and don't give up! Your diamond is out there!
Honestly, don't hesitate to contact GOG. You just may be surprised!
:mrgreen2:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your comments and help, I appreciate it!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've requested the f you recommended earlier be put on hold Valeria, I really like that one. I will update my other thread with the ones I am interested in. Thanks for everyone's help and encouragement is far!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@valeria101
I will order the F VS2 you found for me later today. I kept thinking on it and had a scare yesterday when I was speaking to JA and they told me that it was unavailable! (I was looking at four and it fact it was another stone with similar number that I was considering). I was gutted, I hadn't felt like that about the G so think I'm good to go! Thanks for taking the time find this one for me! :appl:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@valeria101
I will order the F VS2 you found for me later today. I kept thinking on it and had a scare yesterday when I was speaking to JA and they told me that it was unavailable! (I was looking at four and it fact it was another stone with similar number that I was considering). I was gutted, I hadn't felt like that about the G so think I'm good to go! Thanks for taking the time find this one for me! :appl:

Great choice!! I really like that one!! Great job, @valeria101!!!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I updated my other thread but I see this one has more views so here goes and thank you to everyone that has contributed so far.

This is regarding the F VS1, I'm really not sure what to do at this point.

So as an update, I spoke to the gemologist at James Allen a couple of hours ago.

The gemologist described it as 'average - 5/10'. 'Big dark band across the bellyas opposed to a traditional black tie.' 'Plenty of crushed ice'. Overall'quite dark'. There were positives as well but with regard to these nothing I didn't already know unfortunately - 'faces up quite white', 'no visible inclusions', 'nice shape'.

Needless to say my order is cancelled and I am awaiting my refund and considering my options:

1. Get a round. I know I can get find something with optimum performance much easier. But it isn't what I had my heart set on and I doubt I can get to a carat whilst being mind clean.

2. Go vintage - there is an Edwardian cushion halo ring that has caught my eye, it is local enough to view in person. The colour is lower than I hoped for and I would have to totally trust my eyes. I do really like old cuts though.

3. Employ the services of GOG to search for an oval for me. I'm worried I won't get the specs I want for my budget and I can't find the cost of this service on their website which puts me off as it makes me think it's too much for me.

4. Don't get an engagement ring (already successfully done for 5 years, this is what happens when you are a picky customer with more limited funds I guess!)

5. Get a cushion, this would potentially work with my setting idea but I'm not convinced this would be any easier.

I would be grateful for some friendly thoughts, this isn't really important I know but it would be nice to have it resolved one way or another.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@meely, I believe you may benefit by waiting a few weeks to see what inventory may become available. The holidays are coming, and the summer months are pretty much over, which means those in the industry will be (if they haven't, already) returning from vacation/holiday.
During this time of year, diamond selection becomes more plentiful; you just may have more to choose from, if you're patient.
Never SETTLE on a diamond. This is something you will look at EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. It should make your heart sing EVERY. TIME. YOU. LOOK. AT. YOUR. HAND., and give you butterflies in your stomach from the absolute excitement. Every bling-loving individual deserves that experience.
Granted, there may come a day when you decide to upgrade, but until then, your ring should move you in so many ways; settling on something your heart is not set on would be such a disappointment, and, to be brutally honest, a waste.
Do not give up on your search; we will continue to help you. Please let us know what your searches turn up, and we will weigh in. We will do the same. Ultimately, this diamond must speak to you. Others' opinions can be very helpful, but, in the end, your opinion is really the only one that matters. :mrgreen2:
Stick to your strict preferences; your diamond is out there. Be patient. ;)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results