Feeling the winter doldrums? It’s that time of year when thoughts turn to spring break and vacation getaways. Whether your travel plans include fun in the sun or hitting the snow-packed slopes, it’s important to know that the jewelry you bring along with you needs a little extra care. Here are some helpful tips on how to best protect your prized possessions while traveling.
1. First, decide what jewelry you actually will wear at your destination. That special four-carat ring you wear for special events? Probably not. The fun cultured pearl strand that goes with just about every outfit… definitely.
2. Make a list of the jewelry you are taking. Bring one copy with you, storing it separately from your jewelry bag, and leave one copy at home. Some insurance companies even suggest taking pictures of your jewelry or recording your special items on your video camera.
3. If you’re flying, pack jewelry in your carry-on bag, never in checked baggage where it will be a shiny temptation for security screeners. Or, wear the jewelry on your travel day, as long as it’s not bulky metals that could set off security screening equipment. For extra security, slip a pendant inside a shirt or sweater that you’re wearing or spin a ring around so only the plain band shows.
4. If you are traveling by train or auto, put jewelry in a bag that you personally carry into restaurants and to your resort room or condo. And keep it with you at all times. Don’t leave the jewelry in an unattended car or suitcase. Also, don’t let the hotel staff handle the bag… and potentially help themselves to your bling.
5. At your condo, resort or hotel, store jewelry in the in-room safe when you’re not wearing it. Planning to bring higher-ticket items? Ask to use the hotel’s safe-deposit box instead of the safe located in your room, which is often more secure.
6. Make sure your jewelry is properly insured and that your insurance policy provides coverage wherever your travels take you. Before you leave, have a current appraisal done on your jewelry and have your items re-evaluated to current values and replacement costs. Then, have your insurance coverage adjusted accordingly. Because jewelry prices generally increase, you don’t want to be caught in a situation where you don’t have enough insurance in the event of loss, theft or damage.
A lost diamond or gemstone can really put a damper on your much anticipated vacation getaway. Have the peace of mind that as you head to your winter escape, your precious items are safe and sound. Happy travels!
Is your jewelry insured?
Since 1913, Jewelers Mutual has been the only insurer dedicated exclusively to jewelry. They offer comprehensive repair or replacement coverage with worldwide protection against loss, theft, damage and mysterious disappearance.
Insuring your jewelry can be quick and easy – giving you the freedom to wear your jewelry without worry, knowing it’s protected.
Three steps. Thirty seconds. No personal information needed.
The content of this page is provided by Jewelers Mutual. PriceScope Inc is not a licensed agent of Jewelers Mutual and does not sell insurance. Any coverage is subject to acceptance by the insurer and to policy terms and conditions.
by Jessica VandenHouten
Marketing Communications Specialist
Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company