Spring brings to mind all things clean and new. While clearing out the clutter and polishing up the wood work this season, don’t forget to revitalize the sparkle to your jewelry collection too. Your smallest treasures are often the ones most overlooked. Now’s the perfect time to dust off the jewelry box and give the precious items inside the attention they deserve.
Proper cleaning know-how could prolong the life of your jewelry. Besides having your jewelry professionally cleaned by your trusted jeweler at least once a year, here are some simple ways to care for your gemstones right at home.
1. When not wearing your jewelry, place each item in a separate, soft compartment or container. If cluttered together, jewelry can become scratched, even diamonds.
2. Clean your jewelry frequently to avoid the build-up of dirt, which can be damaging.
3. When in doubt, use warm water and a soft toothbrush.
4. Diamonds can be cleaned with ammonia-based cleaners and rubbing alcohol, using a soft toothbrush. Then dry with a soft, clean cloth. (Note: lengthy exposure to ammonia may be harmful to white gold, so keep your stone’s mounting in mind.)
5. Strands of pearls should be cleaned using a slightly damp cloth to wipe the dirt off. If the string gets wet, it can weaken and be more prone to breakage.
6. Avoid heavy blows to your gemstones. Even diamonds, which are among the hardest of all materials, can chip if struck at the right angle.
Aside from at-home care, it’s wise to have your jewelry inspected by your jeweler annually for loose settings and faulty clasps. A prong that is loose, worn or catches on fabric may cause the stone to fall out of the setting. At inspection, it’s also a good idea to have your jewelry re-evaluated based on current market values to make sure you have adequate insurance coverage in the unfortunate event of loss, theft or damage.
Step into spring with the comfort of knowing that by taking the proper proactive measures, you’ll be adding years to the life of your jewelry.
Is your jewelry insured?
Since 1913, Jewelers Mutual has been the only insurer dedicated exclusively to jewelry. They offer comprehensive repair or replacement coverage with worldwide protection against loss, theft, damage and mysterious disappearance.
Insuring your jewelry can be quick and easy – giving you the freedom to wear your jewelry without worry, knowing it’s protected.
Three steps. Thirty seconds. No personal information needed.
The content of this page is provided by Jewelers Mutual. PriceScope Inc is not a licensed agent of Jewelers Mutual and does not sell insurance. Any coverage is subject to acceptance by the insurer and to policy terms and conditions.
by Jessica VandenHouten
Marketing Communications Specialist
Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company