shape
carat
color
clarity

I buy diamonds from the source !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can NEVER, EVER buy diamonds "BELOW WHOLESALE". Those kind of statements betray the kind of BS that brings out people's greed and ruins their ability to think clearly.

A real diamond dealer rarely needs to sell diamonds for a loss. They surely don't need consumers to buy when then are selling for a loss. Their fellow diamond dealers are like vultures circling their prey. When a diamond dealer is really short of cash, his fellow dealers swoop in. They do not need, or want, consumers to buy their distress diamonds. It is a little like a closed, private club. Consumers are NOT members.

While it may be just semantics, when an end user, a retail consumer, buys a diamond, it is a retail transaction. YOU CANNOT BUY "BELOW" WHOLESALE short of buying a stolen diamond.

So, in essence, don't get sucked into a phoney deal by misleading words or the supposition that you have a once in a lifetime opportunity.

This guy may be a decent person and the diamonds offered there may well be decent deals to consider, but not everyone call tell a carnival barker approach from a scam artist. Just be extremely aware and careful

matthewk

Rough_Rock
Must be that all of the other vendors that are in the Price Scope search function are selling bellow wholesale too, your prices are no better than the reliable sellers on Price Scope.... Wonder how everyone is selling at a loss and staying in business????

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
I was hoping this thread would disappear, but it doesn't seem like it is going to. Isn't this a violation of the board rules? Just wondering...

From the Forum Policies section:
---------------
This forum is, above all, a place for consumer assistance and education, not advertisement. If you are a member of the trade, please follow the following post content rules:
Post helpful advice.
Do not make blatant commercial posts or requests to visit your website.
Do not use a promotional slogan in your signature. You may sign your posts with your name, credentials and company name.
Do not create fear-based doubts in consumers' minds in order to scare them into using your services.
Do not mention your products or services unless requested in the thread by a consumer.
The above rules also apply to private message posting and emails to the forum members.
It will be the sole discretion of Pricescope and its moderators as to what constitutes an abuse of these rules. If you are not certain about the content of your post, please send a private message to the moderator prior to publishing it.
-----------------

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Israel diamonds: You have picked the wrong place to pull a snow job. Consumers here are far too savvy to buy into that "buy below wholesale" crap.

You may not realize it, but you're actually diminishing your chances of having anyone here do business with you in making such irrational statements.

Lastly, there are rules against self-promotion on this forum, and your post has clearly violated them.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Leonid must still be asleep.

Leonid - WAKE UP!
9.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
One thing I have really come to appreciate about Pricescope is that vendors do not post here to "toot their own horns." I guess one will periodically slip through though.
Up_to_something.gif

Diamondlil

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Initial post was deleted and David excellent responce moved up, which may cause some confusion with understanding of other replies
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!

Surely you may remember how often I mentioned Israel-diamonds in my previous posts. The reason was that my personal shopper's experience there has been a pleasant one. Not so their last 'breach in' into Pricescope. While I have followed their supply for a long time and used their services, I had no hint about such infringement of basic net etiquette. What can I say. I apologize for the honest mistake and hope that it be taken lightly.
sad.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/7/2003 5:56:46 AM oldminer wrote:

This guy may be a decent person and the diamonds offered there may well be decent deals to consider, but not everyone call tell a carnival barker approach from a scam artist. Just be extremely aware and careful----------------

As my previous post may suggest, I am particularly frustrated with this incident. I used to like THIS retailer and, worse, recommend it lightheartedly. Do you happen to know more on this guys, or suggest a way to check who they are? My customer confidence is WAY uncomfortably low by now...

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
We missed the original message attached to this thread, but we get the idea from the title... The funny thing is that most legitimate dealers 'buy direct from the source' so what's the point? Like duh, we're going to buy from middle men? All of the legitimate dealers here on PS are buying direct from the source, we cross paths on stones all the time... We really hope that consumers don't fall for this kind of b.s., it is this type of marketing that caused us to create this page http://www.niceice.com/hohowholesale.htm which rips on the 'wholesale game'.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
If I could change one thing about this business, it would be the abuse of the term "wholesale." Every time I see some retailer bleating about selling at or below wholesale or having wholesale prices or selling "wholesale to the public" I want to scream. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it--this practice is illegal. As in a violation of FTC guidelines for the jewelry industry and both state and federal unfair trade practice regulations. It's only because the FTC doesn't have the manpower to chase down every violation that it goes on so much.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 10/8/2003 12:32:45 AM LawGem wrote:

If I could change one thing about this business, it would be the abuse of the term 'wholesale.' Every time I see some retailer bleating about selling at or below wholesale or having wholesale prices or selling 'wholesale to the public' I want to scream. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it--this practice is illegal. As in a violation of FTC guidelines for the jewelry industry and both state and federal unfair trade practice regulations. It's only because the FTC doesn't have the manpower to chase down every violation that it goes on so much.
----------------

Unfortunately the FTC doesn't have the time to chase down all the mistakes made by our industry... Heck if they had that kind of time, they'd put a stop to the practice of listing diamonds for sale that dealers don't actually have... How many times did you hear "oh, that diamond isn't available, but we can offer you this one..." when you were searching for a diamond LawGem? That rings of "bait and switch" does it not?

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Some years ago in Antwerp I happen to overhear two dealers having a lighthearted discussion.
One said to the other “Business is very good since I started selling diamonds at cost” The other dealer asked “ So how can you sell at cost” “Easy” replied the dealer “ I buy below cost”

Wayne
Melbourne Diamond Exchange Ltd ( Australia)

kathishopping

Rough_Rock
to whom it may concern...i've made "4" purchases from israel diamonds...a .74ct heart diamond, a parcel of blue sapphires, 1.09ctw princess diamond earrings, and a 2.52ct unheated beautiful blue sapphire. completly pleased dealing with them, pleased with all appraisals, items, and prices paid!! my 5th purchase awaits
appl.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I'm a friend of mr. Gil Paz and can assure you he's a great guy. I just don't know what happened. Maybe he thought this was a forum where you can advertise yourself.
As for the wholesale thing, I completely agree with Lawgem and Dave. You both make great points. Have you ever had a look on ebay? About 99.9% of auction say 'below wholesale'!!!!
eek.gif
This is horrid. But nowdays it's such an common practice! What can the FTC do? Nothing I suppose.

That said, I stress that noone is getting those 'once in a lifetime' opportunities ANYWHERE. This guy (if I may say so --I'm not paid, biased or anything else like that-- I just know him personally) is a nice and honest person and I guess he's a bit too much excited about his business and those wholesale things. I'm just sorry.
5.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 10/8/2003 12:45:48 AM niceice wrote:

Heck if they had that kind of time, they'd put a stop to the practice of listing diamonds for sale that dealers don't actually have... How many times did you hear 'oh, that diamond isn't available, but we can offer you this one...' when you were searching for a diamond LawGem? That rings of 'bait and switch' does it not?

----------------
I haven't bought a diamond in a few years, and never online, but yes it does. The illegality of it depends on the intent, though. There has to be a lack of serious intention to sell the advertised stone, with an intent to just pull people into your store to buy other stuff.

imback

Rough_Rock
if you sell a diamond that is priced at or below the price that wholesalers commonly sell comparable diamonds to other trade members, then it seems correct to refer to the price as being comparable to wholesale prices, regardless of who you are selling it to. it might not be a wholesale TRANSACTION, but it IS a wholesale PRICE.

as for the legalities of the term "wholesale", that depends on the jurisdiction. in many jurisdiction, perhaps even in most, there is no law preventing the use of the term when offering diamonds for sale to the public.

i am not advocating one way or the other, nor i'm i denying the common abuse of the term. i'm only noting that the propriety and legality regarding the use of the term is far from being as black and white as some have claimed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results