shape
carat
color
clarity

Generic Radiant Versus Original cut radiant

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

origamicrane

Rough_Rock
Hi All
I''ve been reading the info on pricescope and have learnt an awful lot in the a short time so thanks to all the contributors.

Anyway I''ve set my heart on buying a radiant diamond and have seen about a dozen so far.
Some were nice and some not so nice but I saw one over the weekend that looked very different to the others it had see.
It had an X shaped sparkle pattern in the diamond as opposed to the general cracked glass sparkle of the others I had seen.

The dealer told me that this was because it was cut like an original cut radiant as opposed to a generic one.
I''ve just did a search on the forums to find an explanation of what the difference between a generic and a original cut were but I can''t seem to find one.
I also checked the Radiant cut website and the explanation seems vague to me.

I would be grateful if anyone could explain the differences to me and if possible show me a picture of a generic verses an original cut.

Thanks in advance

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2010 8:09:34 PM
Author:origamicrane
Hi All
I''ve been reading the info on pricescope and have learnt an awful lot in the a short time so thanks to all the contributors.

Anyway I''ve set my heart on buying a radiant diamond and have seen about a dozen so far.
Some were nice and some not so nice but I saw one over the weekend that looked very different to the others it had see.
It had an X shaped sparkle pattern in the diamond as opposed to the general cracked glass sparkle of the others I had seen.

The dealer told me that this was because it was cut like an original cut radiant as opposed to a generic one.
I''ve just did a search on the forums to find an explanation of what the difference between a generic and a original cut were but I can''t seem to find one.

I would be grateful if anyone could explain the differences to me and if possible show me a picture of a generic verses an original cut.

Thanks in advance
Radiants are pretty hard to find especially ones designed for light performance in colorless diamonds because they are usually cut to:
1) Retain Weight
2) Retain Color
3) Hide Inclusions
4) Work with rough unsuitable for other shapes.

Many modern cut radiants most often have an extra row of facets on the pavillion below the girldle and may have up to 70 total facets total. Due to this they often have very small virtual facets or small pinfire flash as you have experienced. There are however some where the pavillion mains or the X as you call it extend from the culet all the way to the girdle plain.
Unfortunately I am not sure if the naming on the certificate nor the plot (unless from AGS) would let you know if you had found one that satisfied your crtieria.

Here are some with the look you are after:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3852/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4366/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2504/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3619/

Good-Luck,
CCl

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I was looking for a radiant with less pinfire flash and broader flashes too. They''re difficult to find and the GIA diagrams are generally no help. You just have to call them in and see whether the cutter went crazy with the micro cuts. I''ve never seen an Original Cut radiant but from what I''ve read, they don''t look that different from other radiants - except the company keeps to stricter parameters when it comes to depth, table and maybe (but I''m not sure at all) crown heights. A representative from the Original Radiant cut used to post in PS and I recall him saying that they try to keep to depths in the 60-69 range. Most radiants out there are a lot deeper (wasted weight) but ORC comes with a high premium. Check their official website for lists of their diamonds and retailers.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All
I've been reading the info on pricescope and have learnt an awful lot in the a short time so thanks to all the contributors.

Anyway I've set my heart on buying a radiant diamond and have seen about a dozen so far.

I've just did a search on the forums to find an explanation of what the difference between a generic and a original cut were but I can't seem to find one.

Thanks in advance
Hi Origami and welcome!

I know of the Original Radiant Cut but its hard to generalize with radiants as they vary so much, I am not that familiar with the similarities between ORC's, I have tried to find out but not much luck so far. It is often the case that many radiants will show the 'crushed ice' effect, this is a common feature of some radiants. The difference between the crushed ice type and the one with the distinctly faceted look you saw is in the overall cutting and faceting which results in different looks. Below is an old thread with photos of an ORC for you to see,

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/original-radiant-cut-e-ring.15916/

Also when looking for a radiant, they can show more colour than other shapes, this is the reason so many fancy colours end up as this shape. Unless you have seen I and J colour in person ( GIA graded), I would make H colour your cuttoff initially.

30yearsofdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Here are three examples of what GIA will call Cut-Cornered Rectangular Modified Brilliants. They will never use the term Radiant Cut. Also the original Radiant Cuts were rectangular and not square. The diagram on the left is the original version, also seen as the original version on their web site. The other diagrams are modifications to the original and there are many more. There is another that is called a Criss-Cut.

Radiant Diagrams.jpg

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Hi All
I've been reading the info on pricescope and have learnt an awful lot in the a short time so thanks to all the contributors.

Anyway I've set my heart on buying a radiant diamond and have seen about a dozen so far.

I've just did a search on the forums to find an explanation of what the difference between a generic and a original cut were but I can't seem to find one.

Thanks in advance

The Radiant Cut is a modified emerald shape that was developed, patented and trademarked by Henry Grossbard of the Radiant Cut Diamond Company (RCDC) in 1977. It was the first emerald shaped diamond cut to have brilliance and fire similar to that of a round brilliant diamond. Upon the expiration of the patent, the Radiant Cut became a fully accepted diamond shape in the jewelry business.

RCDC launched the 'Original Radiant Cut' diamond brand In 2002, and all Original Radiant Cut diamonds weigh at least 0.70 carats and come with a GIA Certificate and an "Original Radiant Cut Diamond Certificate" guarantying that the stone meets the ideal proportions as designed by Henry Grossbard. There are 25 crown facets and 36 pavilion facets for a total of 61 facets (not including 8 girdle facets). The pavilion is similar to a Barion cut, and the table is a bowed out rectangle.

The plots of the ORC are like the one on the left that Dan posted. Even with careful cutting standards as advertised by ORC I don't think you would see that well defined X. They mention in their marketing material http://radiantcut.com/RP_Light.aspx that "a princess unlike the radiant results in black and white reflections and creates the appearance of a black "X" within the diamond."

To get the well defined X you would be looking for a Cut Cornered Square Brilliant (Not Cut Cornered Rectangular Modified Brilliant) which has the mains extending from culet to the girdle or very close to the corners. In Cushion outlines GIA adds the word modified if the pavillion mains do not span from the culet to the girdle plain it seems like this should also hold true for a Cut Cornered Square Brilliant as well. So you would be looking for a Cut Cornered Square Brilliant or Cut Cornered Rectangular Brilliant without the word modified.

CutCorneredSquareBrilliantversusors.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results