shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Only Vintage for an Old Stone! 3.33c OEC in 1920's Platinum.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Many of you might remember I upgraded my ER to a 3.33c OEC last summer from OWD. I had it set into a basic temp 6 prong setting, which served my purposes quite well. I actually loved how the temp came out as the prongs were super amazing and the whole thing was light as a feather and really put the focus on the awesome stone.

Originally I'd planned to have a custom setting much like the Vatche RC created for the stone, in rose gold and platinum. I have always loved that look, and PreciousJewels 3c in the Vatche RC has haunted me for many many years on PS as the perfect holy grail of the setting/stone combo for classic.

But when I got my basic setting I was unsure what direction I wanted to take. So I just wore it. And wore it. And wore it. Finally I realized, what I really wanted to complement my stone was a truly vintage setting vs a replica. I love me a good replica but for this stone I just wanted something authentic, assuming I could find it.

Some of you may also remember that way back when, my first love, the reason that I came onto PS was because I'd found a vintage stone (OEC!) in a replica edwardian setting at a local store in Carmel. So this idea had always haunted me, I love a regal crown-like head on a plain solitaire band. Having had eternity for so many years, I really was hoping to stay simple with no stones in the setting.

Armed with my idea, I set off to search. Now I'm a dedicated researcher, like most obsessed PS'ers. I pinned a ton of settings. Emailed vendors. Trolled eBay. Finding vintage settings for stones this size turned out to be a huge challenge. First off not that many people actually sell simple settings for old stones, many of them have already been melted down when the stones were taken out. I found many with diamonds but none with only a few or none. If they did not have diamonds, they weren't a crown-like head. Then there was the donut. I love my stackers, LOVE THEM, in fact I have about 15+ and wore them with my ring all the time. The idea of having a huge donut where my rings couldn't sit flush was not appealing. I found 8mm settings, 11mm settings. But not a whole lot in between. If it did fit, it was WAY too expensive when I inquired. Not only did I need this extensive list of 'must haves, but the bargain hunter in me needed to be satisfied as well. I stalled. Everything I found seemed to have at least one element I didn't love. Hemmed, hawed. Took a break from the search. Bought some more bands.

Until one fateful day, when... I couldn't even really say why but I decided to go on eBay (after a particularly awesome day where I managed to find the last pair of Tory Burch boots anywhere in the whole of Nordies in my size) one evening and check out my search. Up popped up not the usual drivel of crappy looking stuff, but 3-4 amazing looking empty settings. Mouth hanging open, I clicked. And purchased 2 of them. They were super affordable. Vintage. Platinum.

The wait for them to arrive was interminable. The descriptions and pics were ok but they both were reputed to only hold 11mm'ish stones. My stone is 9.5mm on average. I was pretty sure at least one of them would work based on the size/shape of the head, but the other one would probably be too big, but it was too beautiful and affordable to pass up. Plus I have lots of colored stones!

They arrived. They were rustic and needed some work but as expected. I loved them. Now a bit more waiting had to occur. I was heading to NYC a week later (paid rush to make sure they got to me on time so I could take with!) and seeing Adam to discuss setting my stone into one of the settings. It seemed to take forever, but finally the day arrived, and he said what I thought--that one of the settings could work great--the other was too big. I had a tall order of things I wanted for the ring. Could it be shaved down on the sides, it was 3mm and I wanted 2mm. Could the prongs be tiny claws. Could it be polished. Could it be sized. He showed me a setting that they are now producing, vintage-style, super beautiful, very similar to what I purchased. My find seemed even more amazing.

I left my stone (sob) and the setting with his amazing bench and he said it would take a week. I thought he was joking but he said you don't rush perfection. I waited. It seemed like forever. Finally the ring was ready, he was kind enough to send me pics and ship it next day. The pics arrived and, they were amazing.

Then the ring came and, it was amazing. ALL SO AMAZING. The ring looked better than I ever ever could have expected. Honestly I was floored. Buying an empty, scratched up old setting and thinking you can see the beauty and glory it can be was a gamble but I am so glad I took it. My stone was meant for this setting. It looks ridiculously at home in here. So regal. I absolutely puffy heart the profile. I was and am so over the moon about it. I stare at it all the time. It makes me think of the RC and I think may even be a bit of a pre-cursor to a RC. The donut is not that big and many of my stackers fit well with it. I think it may be..GASP..my forever setting. Best part is that it can be stretched a little bigger for that 5c that you all know I"ll eventually have... HA! :naughty:

Moral of the story, patience can pay off in a crazy way. BUT enough about that.... onto the pics. I admit to not taking as many pics of this beauty as I might in better weather but it's been kinda gray and rainy this month. I do have a few though. Enjoy!

vintagesettingold.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Only Vintage for an Old Stone! 3.33c OEC in 1920's Plati

Pics from Adam. Made my heart go pitter patter. Oh did I mention it has 8 prongs? DIVINE.

3point33oecinvintageringowd.jpg

3point33oecinvintageringowdfront.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

The new addition spreading a little holiday cheer...

img_4214.jpg

img_4210.jpg

img_4176.jpg

Alistra

Shiny_Rock

Mara, that is so cool that you were able to find and restore a vintage mounting as a home for your amazing stone! They look like they were meant to be together. Congratulations!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

A little fun with Lightroom... :love:

img_4220.jpg

img_4225.jpg

img_4239.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mara, unbelievable! The setting is gorgeous! I love it with your OEC! The perfect match :love: (like you and your dh!) and I am so happy for you that you found your forever setting!!! It looks so amazing with your 3.33C OEC that I am not sure you will ever want to change it for the 5C OEC :cheeky: but if you do I know that it will look amazing too! :appl:

Wear the ring in health and happiness!!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

mmmmm that setting is perfect!!!! Love the 8 prongs and the side. You have such a great eye for potential!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks ladies!!! I still sometimes can't believe it all worked out so easily...but I guess it really was meant to be! I also think that the 8 prongs really make the stone look a bit more round and visually that makes it look that tiniest bit bigger...or so I tell myself. But it really feels like visually it takes up more of my finger real estate? Delusional, I know.

Oh also here is a link to my original 3.33c thread for anyone who wants to see the 6prong temp that OWD's bench did for me, was so fantastic while I figured things out. If I had any skills I'd do a side by side comparison. Well I do have skills. Maybe just not time right now..hehe.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whats-old-is-new-my-3-33-k-si2-oec.176124/page-6']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whats-old-is-new-my-3-33-k-si2-oec.176124/page-6[/URL]

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Absolutely perfect! I love the new setting, and what a rock! :love:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

nothing short of WOW!

justginger

Ideal_Rock

Just stunning, Mara. Your OEC is the only one that ever makes me think that perhaps I should have gone round instead of cushion... :devil:

Adam was amazing, as usual, and that whole ring is incredible!! :love:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

That turned out beautiful Mara! I've been looking for something like that too (but smaller and with stones down the shank).

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations, Mara. I really know the feeling of an endless search...and when you get exactly what you want it is soooo worth it! The ring is fabulous. I never thought I'd be envying a 3 carat plus stone, but DSS has done me in. Now I want a 3 carat stone, too! Wear it in good health! Do you plan to upgrade to 5 carats?

Deb
:saint:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

Oh Mara, it is spectacular. I too have always loved the Vatche RC and this is a phenomenal find! Congrats!

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Congratulations Mara. The setting looks gorgeous and it looks beautiful on you.
I was admiring the craftsmanship on the setting. It looks to be the real deal vintage and hand-forged. It's sad that they don't make them like that any more these days.

My best

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Ohh, I love the profile and the 8 prongs! They did so well with the pointy prongs. What a wonderful find! :love:

D

Deactivated member 42515

Oh Mara!!! It's just... WOW!!! I'm at a loss for words... I had to sit down when I saw your first picture! My knees went weak! I mean like wow.... If you could see my face while I saw your pictures it would be a googly eyed Asian with her mouth gaping open in awe. I need new pictures Mara! Your photography skills are out of this world!!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, you really did find the perfect setting for your gorgeous stone!! It's amazing, the prongs are yummy and the profile is so beautiful! :love:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks everyone! Dug out a few more pics. I just love the profile on this girl.

Victor, thanks for chiming in! I thought it seemed like the real deal but it's good to hear from an expert--and fun to hear it was hand forged. The piece is about 4.5g of platinum so it's quite weighty.

Deb, well you know me!! ::) I remember thinking 3c was my end all to be all and 5c would be so over the top but my friends are betting I'll have a 4c by the time I'm 40 which isn't much time, HA! Though I was kind of feeling like this stone in the other setting somehow didn't have as much presence but in this setting it surely does. So lately I have been thinking maybe I don't need larger? Don't quote me.

Ginger, trade you! :Up_to_something:

Bastet, I know exactly what you are talking about... the classic Edwardian. I did see a few like that so beautiful. I was really hoping to find a plain solitaire but with the profile I wanted. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

img_4290-2.jpg

img_4297.jpg

photo_5_-3.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mara|1355971444|3336187 said:

Victor, thanks for chiming in! I thought it seemed like the real deal but it's good to hear from an expert--and fun to hear it was hand forged. The piece is about 4.5g of platinum so it's quite weighty.

Deb, well you know me!! ::) I remember thinking 3c was my end all to be all and 5c would be so over the top but my friends are betting I'll have a 4c by the time I'm 40 which isn't much time, HA! Though I was kind of feeling like this stone in the other setting somehow didn't have as much presence but in this setting it surely does. So lately I have been thinking maybe I don't need larger? Don't quote me.

Bastet, I know exactly what you are talking about... the classic Edwardian. I did see a few like that so beautiful. I was really hoping to find a plain solitaire but with the profile I wanted. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I have to say that the first picture in this post is very reminiscent of PreciousJewels ring - if this was your holy grail I think you have found it! The mounting does fit your stone well and it looks beautiful on the hand. Congrats and enjoy!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Spectacular! Congratulations on your success at finding the perfect setting! Looks amazing with both the stone and all of your bands! Enjoy that beauty!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SO gorgeous!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am officially smitten. So happy for you!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, it somehow looks bigger and blingier in this new setting! I think it's the cathedral maybe.

Gorgeous!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

Back for more drooling. I LURVE it. It's pretty much perfection. Wow!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Oh My!!! That is one heck-of-a gorgeous ring! Love the setting...Perfection x 100 :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

:love: :love: :love:

perfection! My dream setting, not gonna lie :lickout:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

wow!! very nice indeed :!:

justginger

Ideal_Rock

Mara|1355971444|3336187 said:

I'm putting this out there now in front of God and the whole world - if you ever, ever, EVER sell this stone, I claim first rejection rights. :praise:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

Wow, it is so gorgeous. I love how the setting just features the center stone and you can stack your bands any way you want with it. :love: :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results