shape
carat
color
clarity

Next step??

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
vanderaf|1396293011|3644466 said:
I forgot to add that I have a whiteflash 7 stone band with ACA's and my 5 stone ring which is turning into a seven stone with regular ideal cut diamonds. The ACA's are better and I can tell the difference so I think it is worth it to get H&A stones.

Do you have any pictures? What size of ring do you wear?

I feel like the link that I posted really show the difference of the two, do you feel like the regular ideal cut diamonds in your band are more white looking like the Tiffany band in the link?
I almost want to buy one of each and have them sent to me, but that involves losing money when I return one and I've already done that twice, plus I am not sure if that is even an option.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
mrs-blop|1396292421|3644460 said:
luvsdmb -

I think even for a 9.5 size finger, 7 x .25ct stones would work beautifully, especially RB's, which tend to face up slightly bigger than AVR's due to their different cut. You're still looking at a very generous spread. Very!

But I still think a break would be your best idea; you really can get to the point where the whole thing sort of p*sses you off and it loses its appeal altogether.

I'm way past that point, I would have gotten a refund weeks ago if that was an option. What do you think of the H&A/non H&A?
Since I don't know the details of the diamonds, should I ask GOG for them?
I also keep leaning towards the seven .25 ct. I also asked Amcor Design to see about getting a wax for a .30ct five stone, so I could be sure.
(I keep thinking seven .30ct would be pretty and I would be happy with it, I also might want to wear a thin band along with it)

mjg

Rough_Rock
I don't think I know all the backstory but just commenting on 5/.30 vs 7/.25....I don't think 5/.30s will give you the finger coverage you want. I'm about a 6.5 and 5/.30s is pretty much exactly finger to finger for me. I think 7/.25s would be the way to go because it gives better coverage...and I also prefer the look because it's more like a band and less like a ring that just sits atop the finger, but that's personal preference. Are you going to ideally wear this ring with others? Because I think .30s + makes it pretty hard to pair with anything except maybe a thin band or two.

vanderaf

Shiny_Rock
My finger size is a 6. I will take pictures of both rings side by side when I pick up my seven stone on Thursday. My ACA band has 10 pointers. The diamonds are super bright white and sparkly. I swear they glow in the dark they are so nice. My other band goes darker and is not as bright. It could also be the different melee size but my ACA band outshines all of my rings. It gets more compliments than my other larger band. My husband says he has never seen anything like it (meaning how amazing the ACA's look). The ideal cut band still looks amazing and when the bands are apart no one would notice but side by side there is a clear difference.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It seems that you want something unique as well as coverage. How about a larger AVR or AVC as center stone with 4 or 6 smaller non H&A rounds to make a 5 stone or 7 stone band? Only center is larger but the rest all same size?

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
I too would opt for H&As because I love their non-stop sparkle. Mine are tiny babies (just 6 pointers) but boy do they have big personalities.

I really think it's a personal decision on whether they're worth the premium to YOU or not. You either feel that there's additional value to the branded stones (and therefore you're willing to pay an additional cost) or you don't.

When I was trying to decide, I visited a local jeweler who carries rings w/ both branded and non-branded ideal stones (in small sizes), so I was able to compare for myself. Maybe something like that would help you to determine whether you can see a noticeable difference or not.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
vanderaf|1396349299|3644871 said:
My finger size is a 6. I will take pictures of both rings side by side when I pick up my seven stone on Thursday. My ACA band has 10 pointers. The diamonds are super bright white and sparkly. I swear they glow in the dark they are so nice. My other band goes darker and is not as bright. It could also be the different melee size but my ACA band outshines all of my rings. It gets more compliments than my other larger band. My husband says he has never seen anything like it (meaning how amazing the ACA's look). The ideal cut band still looks amazing and when the bands are apart no one would notice but side by side there is a clear difference.

How did your seven stone ring turn out?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
H&A is an indication of the symmetry and precision of the cut of the diamond. Do a search in RT to learn about it and the difference. Well cut diamonds will look great. That link you posted is not the difference between non-H&A and H&A. In fact, a well cut diamond with the right proportions that is not an H&A in that size will look identical to an H&A stone in my opinion. You are obsessing about the wrong thing here. Call and talk to someone at GOG and try to get your questions answered, or do some research in RT about H&A or not if this is an issue that really concerns you.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1396970752|3649741 said:
H&A is an indication of the symmetry and precision of the cut of the diamond. Do a search in RT to learn about it and the difference. Well cut diamonds will look great. That link you posted is not the difference between non-H&A and H&A. In fact, a well cut diamond with the right proportions that is not an H&A in that size will look identical to an H&A stone in my opinion. You are obsessing about the wrong thing here. Call and talk to someone at GOG and try to get your questions answered, or do some research in RT about H&A or not if this is an issue that really concerns you.

Not obsessing just trying to get things figured out. I have contacted GOG I was told 1) it's your decision and your preference and 2) go with H&A.
If I knew the actual details of the GOG non H&A I think I could make a decision. I just emailed asking for specifics.

Stephny691

Shiny_Rock
Gonna be the voice of decent and say I think the solitaire looked nicer on your hands than the band did. *runs and hides*

I remember someone saying once on another thread that they had a H&A stone and the perfect symmetry of the stone was off putting. Like it almost bothered them that it was too perfect. (Does anyone remember this or have I gone insane?) Might just be something to consider?
If you're definitely going for a band I would go for as big stones as you can get before they start to get hidden by your other fingers. So enough to completely cover the top of your finger and no more. Am I making any sense, I'm at work and my brain is fried.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
luvsdmb|1396978420|3649820 said:
Dreamer_D|1396970752|3649741 said:

Not obsessing just trying to get things figured out. I have contacted GOG I was told 1) it's your decision and your preference and 2) go with H&A.
If I knew the actual details of the GOG non H&A I think I could make a decision. I just emailed asking for specifics.

Maybe they can send you one of each.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Here are my choices of the day. This of course is only if GOG has nine matching available.

nine .20ct H&A

seven .25ct non H&A

five .30ct non H&A (with option to add two more to make seven stone if needed down the road)

Size 9.5 finger.

Would love to hear your final thoughts about this so I can hopefully make a decision soon. :))

Thanks

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
luvsdmb|1397065017|3650574 said:
Here are my choices of the day. This of course is only if GOG has nine matching available.

nine .20ct H&A

seven .25ct non H&A

five .30ct non H&A (with option to add two more to make seven stone if needed down the road)

Size 9.5 finger.

Would love to hear your final thoughts about this so I can hopefully make a decision soon. :))

Thanks

Why is H&A .20 stones the only H&A option? Just curious. Is it all they have or a budget thing? I'm feeling the 7 .25s or the 5 .30s for the 30s though I might pick certed stones? Hard to say.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
hathalove|1397071629|3650655 said:
luvsdmb|1397065017|3650574 said:

nine .20ct H&A

seven .25ct non H&A

Size 9.5 finger.

Thanks

Why is H&A .20 stones the only H&A option? Just curious. Is it all they have or a budget thing? I'm feeling the 7 .25s or the 5 .30s for the 30s though I might pick certed stones? Hard to say.

Yes it's just because of budget. I am just trying to spend the least amount possible.
I am leaning towards the nine .20ct H&A stones.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
I've been following your thread, but I have never commented. Honestly, I would opt for the solitaire, but it seems that you have already tried that route and didn't like it. But, on the other hand, you are afraid that the 5 stone will not be unique enough. I don't know what your budget is, but between any band or a solitaire, I would take the solitaire. Are you certain the solitaire won't work for you?

mjg

Rough_Rock
5 .30s will not cover the top of your finger so I would throw that option out, as most people would not find a band that didn't cover the finger attractive (unless you really like that look). I asked before but you didn't specify: are you planning to wear this band with any other rings (bands, solitaire, whatever) in the future? If so, I would def go no bigger than .20s to not overpower other rings.

Have you measured the width of your finger and calculated to know how many of which size will cover the top? That is what I would base the decision on. 7 .25s and 9 .20s would be quite a large spread and I think both would extend past the finger edges, but you really need to measure to know.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
braga123|1397088011|3650827 said:
I've been following your thread, but I have never commented. Honestly, I would opt for the solitaire, but it seems that you have already tried that route and didn't like it. But, on the other hand, you are afraid that the 5 stone will not be unique enough. I don't know what your budget is, but between any band or a solitaire, I would take the solitaire. Are you certain the solitaire won't work for you?

Yeah a solitaire in the size I would want/need is not happening. And buying something just to upgrade later doesn't make sense to me right now. I guess I'm just trying to end up with something I will wear and be happy with. I had my appendix removed last week and was in the hospital for a few days and do you know I still in the very back of my mind was trying to figure out which ring I wanted. I knew it was time to get down to it and get it figured out.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
mjg|1397088891|3650836 said:
5 .30s will not cover the top of your finger so I would throw that option out, as most people would not find a band that didn't cover the finger attractive (unless you really like that look). I asked before but you didn't specify: are you planning to wear this band with any other rings (bands, solitaire, whatever) in the future? If so, I would def go no bigger than .20s to not overpower other rings.

Have you measured the width of your finger and calculated to know how many of which size will cover the top? That is what I would base the decision on. 7 .25s and 9 .20s would be quite a large spread and I think both would extend past the finger edges, but you really need to measure to know.

Yes, I actually did do this(just tonight) and already ruled out the five .30s. I think my finger is even bigger than I thought maybe more like size 10,which sucks, so I think the nine .20 will cover the entire top of my finger. I am sitting here with my husbands wedding band with a mm ruler taped to it.
I think I will go with the nine diamonds. I don't know if I will be wearing another ring with this, maybe a plain 2mm band.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
OK, so you are ruling out the solitaire. Are you married already? Engaged?
I think bands are lovely for married women. I love the graduated 5 stone look, but again, you ruled that out. You state that your priority is finger coverage, so I guess that a 7 stone would be the best bet.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
braga123|1397092535|3650868 said:
OK, so you are ruling out the solitaire. Are you married already? Engaged?
I think bands are lovely for married women. I love the graduated 5 stone look, but again, you ruled that out. You state that your priority is finger coverage, so I guess that a 7 stone would be the best bet.

July it will be three years we've been married. I haven't worn a ring in over two years.
I do think the seven stone would be okay, but I think I will be going with the nine stones.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You mentioned you just had surgery. I wondered if that caused some water retention resulting in your finger being a larger size than you remembered. Maybe you can measure again a few days later. You need to know the actual size when making the ring anyway. Hope to see your completed project soon.

mjg

Rough_Rock
Ok honestly, I think a 9 stone band of .20s will be gorgeous and blingy! I will be getting some kind of band as my engagement/wedding ring--I don't think a solitaire/halo/typical engagement style ring is necessary and I adore the look of a blingy band worn alone. I think it's such a classy, elegant look. Since you're planning to have it be your main ring, at least for the time being, I would personally go with H&A stones and I think .20s are a good size that's significant but could be paired with other rings.

I hope you're recovering well :)

vanderaf

Shiny_Rock
luvsdmb|1396969267|3649725 said:

My ring is just sitting at the jewelers! My kids have both been home sick since last week. I am hoping to make it out today or tomorrow to get it. I am dying to see it! I will come back with pics as soon as I get it....

vanderaf

Shiny_Rock
vanderaf|1397128132|3651074 said:

My ring is just sitting at the jewelers! My kids have both been home sick since last week. I am hoping to make it out today or tomorrow to get it. I am dying to see it! I will come back with pics as soon as I get it....

I finally got my ring today! It's big and blingy. I'll be back with a full report and some pics tonight or in the morning. Both my kids are sick and hanging on me....I hope it helps you with your decision.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
vanderaf|1397161922|3651356 said:
vanderaf|1397128132|3651074 said:

I finally got my ring today! It's big and blingy. I'll be back with a full report and some pics tonight or in the morning. Both my kids are sick and hanging on me....I hope it helps you with your decision.

I hope your kids get better soon :)
I went ahead and told GOG to order me the nine .20ct H&A stones. I really hope I've made the right choice.
I am a little concerned about a setting, because nine .20ct doesn't seem like a normal size for a ring. So that will be my next project, thankfully I already have it narrowed down to two choices.
Can't wait to see your ring!

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
mjg|1397100436|3650940 said:
Ok honestly, I think a 9 stone band of .20s will be gorgeous and blingy! I will be getting some kind of band as my engagement/wedding ring--I don't think a solitaire/halo/typical engagement style ring is necessary and I adore the look of a blingy band worn alone. I think it's such a classy, elegant look. Since you're planning to have it be your main ring, at least for the time being, I would personally go with H&A stones and I think .20s are a good size that's significant but could be paired with other rings.

I hope you're recovering well :)

Thanks for your support. I am feeling better.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the 9 stone .20 point ring is going to look beautiful luvsdmb! It will sparkle like crazy.

So sorry to hear about your surgery - hope you're doing well and feeling better every day!

vanderaf

Shiny_Rock
I'm back!
I was finally able to take some pictures and post them. I am sorry as they are not that great. I think you will be thrilled with the 9 stone ring! Here is my assessment on my new ring that was reset from a 5 stone to a 7 stone ring with .25 pointers. The ring looked so much smaller and unimpressive on my hand when it was a 5 stone ring. The diamonds spilling over the edge to give the look of an eternity band makes the ring look so much larger to me than before. Once the ring was reset and the diamonds cleaned the ideal cut diamonds sparlke just as much as my ACA ring. I guess it was really dirty from constant wear even though I always cleaned it. The ring is a size 6 which was made for my right hand but I am wearing it on my left hand to take the pictures. My left hand is a 5.5 to 5 3/4. My hand can not handle diamonds any bigger without it being uncomfortable. I can't wait to see your band when you get it. Please post pics!

img_0118.jpg

vanderaf

Shiny_Rock
P.S. I hope you are feeling better. I also had my appendix out but many years ago.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results