shape
carat
color
clarity

my new oval

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
AWESOME.....WHAT A BEAUTY.....CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Lori

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
oh gosh, I''m waffling -- as I''ve said on previous posts -- between a radiant, an oval, or a cushion.

Your oval is so gorgeous, it makes me think that I want an oval, and nothing else. Like you, I have similar preferences (not too skinny, not too much like a mutant round).

I have small hands, too. The oblong shapes are flattering for us. :)

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
OoOoOoOoooOo that is so classy!
I love it!!!

30.gif

ScorpioNYC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 6:42:44 PM
Author: kimikocat
oh gosh, I''m waffling -- as I''ve said on previous posts -- between a radiant, an oval, or a cushion.

Your oval is so gorgeous, it makes me think that I want an oval, and nothing else. Like you, I have similar preferences (not too skinny, not too much like a mutant round).

I have small hands, too. The oblong shapes are flattering for us. :)

I like radiants but never really considered them b/c FI did not like anything squared off. I would have wanted it set with trilliants, which he did not like. How do you want to set your ring? I knew I wanted a 3 stone, so it was between this and 3 ovals, or half moons. I really love the classic round with pears, so this is my little twist on it.

One thing to consider is that radiants and cushions are MUCH deeper than ovals. I think radiants and ovals are much more sparkly than the average cushion.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely ring, and it sure does look beautiful on your hand! Congratulations!

ladymentha

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful~!
30.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Fabulous! I have an oval and really, really like that shape!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Lovely oval! Looks fantastic on you!
36.gif

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!!! I really like ovals. And, I love the setting....what a perfect combo! Congrats!!

ScorpioNYC

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the nice comments! It was really hard to find a shape we liked. I found the best l/w ratio to be 1.34-1.39 or so. Originally I wanted something below 1.33, but I found those to look too round.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 5:39:16 PM
Author: ScorpioNYC

Date: 10/13/2008 11:23:09 AM
Author: Miranda
WOW!!! Hello gorgeous!
36.gif
This is right up my alley! You are torturing me (in a good way)! Do you know that?
9.gif
Please do share the specs if you ever get your hands on the cert. I am a wee bit obsessed with oval specs! And any more pics would be truly appreciated - if you feel like taking more, of course! I
30.gif
your ring!

I will try to get my hands on it. I think it is 2.39, E, either VS2 or SI1. I know the L/W is about 1.37 which I love. I did not want a skinny oval, nor did I want one that looked like a misshappen round. The depth is around 59% or so. It''s on the shallow side, but when looking at ovals I noticed the shallower ones had more life and less bow tie. Plus the spread! I love cushions, but I''m glad I went with the oval.
2.gif
It''s flattering on small hands.
Thanks so much! The depth was what I was looking for. I happen to looooove ovals that are on the shallow side, too! Finding the right shape is a bit of a challenge. For three stones I like the ratio you picked, but, for solitaires I like them a little chunky!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ring is incredible! The proportions are stunning on you as well! All around gorgeous1

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring, congrats!

Snickerdoodle

Shiny_Rock
WOW!!!!!
30.gif

ragavendra

Rough_Rock
wow that is a marvelous ring and it fits to your hand very comfortabily.
----------
ragavendra

Sreevysh Corp

vita*dolce

Brilliant_Rock
wow!! gorgeous! congratulations!

mrsv

Brilliant_Rock
Neat!

ScorpioNYC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 11:59:32 PM
Date: 10/13/2008 5:39:16 PM

Date: 10/13/2008 11:23:09 AM

WOW!!! Hello gorgeous!
36.gif
This is right up my alley! You are torturing me (in a good way)! Do you know that?
9.gif
Please do share the specs if you ever get your hands on the cert. I am a wee bit obsessed with oval specs! And any more pics would be truly appreciated - if you feel like taking more, of course! I
30.gif
your ring!

I will try to get my hands on it. I think it is 2.39, E, either VS2 or SI1. I know the L/W is about 1.37 which I love. I did not want a skinny oval, nor did I want one that looked like a misshappen round. The depth is around 59% or so. It''s on the shallow side, but when looking at ovals I noticed the shallower ones had more life and less bow tie. Plus the spread! I love cushions, but I''m glad I went with the oval.
2.gif
It''s flattering on small hands.
Thanks so much! The depth was what I was looking for. I happen to looooove ovals that are on the shallow side, too! Finding the right shape is a bit of a challenge. For three stones I like the ratio you picked, but, for solitaires I like them a little chunky!

I agree. For the 3 stone, this was a great l/w especially since my hands are small (4.5). Anything wider and the pears would have gone out too far. There was a vendor (who is highly recommended here) who refused to show us ovals with depth belwo 62 or so, saying they would be too shallow. Clearly we took our business elsewhere.

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning oval! Congratulations.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ring looks ginormous on your hand! It''s beautiful, congrats!

mommy2iz

Brilliant_Rock
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! i love the size ratio b/w your center and sides!!!!! looks so perfect imo. enjoy and many congrats!!!!!!

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
I like radiants but never really considered them b/c FI did not like anything squared off. I would have wanted it set with trilliants, which he did not like. How do you want to set your ring? I knew I wanted a 3 stone, so it was between this and 3 ovals, or half moons. I really love the classic round with pears, so this is my little twist on it.

One thing to consider is that radiants and cushions are MUCH deeper than ovals. I think radiants and ovals are much more sparkly than the average cushion.

Sorry it took me so long to respond to you! Thanks for your thoughts. I''m creating a ring with a fancy yellow center. I want a colored center stone w/ white sides, maybe trapezoids, shields, or baguettes, or pears! I love the classic round with pears, too. :) I''m looking for classic simplicity. My guy likes things w/ angles and hard edges, which is why I started to look at radiants. He really, really like Emeralds but those are difficult to find in fancy colors.

Three ovals are pretty, but maybe a bit too bulky for smaller hands? Why did you ultimately choose not to follow that design direction?

I have not seen many half moons. I''ve seen some with ''sweetheart'' side stones -- heart shaped sides -- and they are kind of pretty, too.

Why did you decide to search for an oval that''s more on the shallow end? How did you avoid bowtie?

ScorpioNYC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 3:08:47 PM
Auth

Sorry it took me so long to respond to you! Thanks for your thoughts. I''m creating a ring with a fancy yellow center. I want a colored center stone w/ white sides, maybe trapezoids, shields, or baguettes, or pears! I love the classic round with pears, too. :) I''m looking for classic simplicity. My guy likes things w/ angles and hard edges, which is why I started to look at radiants. He really, really like Emeralds but those are difficult to find in fancy colors.

Three ovals are pretty, but maybe a bit too bulky for smaller hands? Why did you ultimately choose not to follow that design direction?

I have not seen many half moons. I''ve seen some with ''sweetheart'' side stones -- heart shaped sides -- and they are kind of pretty, too.>>>>>

Why did you decide to search for an oval that''s more on the shallow end? How did you avoid bowtie?[/quote]

I found three ovals too hard to get right. My fi made the decision on side stones. We liked 3 ovals with very small ovals - I found 3 of similar size to look too bulky and just well, ugly- i tried on tiffany''s 3 oval and it looked terrible. I also saw a 3 oval where you see the bowtie all the way across in all 3 stones, so that was another factor. Didn''t want to do hearts...I havne''t seen them anywhere. FI did not like small half moons since he said they looked like ''mouse ears''. Our jeweler really advised against trilliants but I love them... I think traps look GREAT with an emerald cut. Trills with a radiant would be great.

FI picked small pears which I love- the center stone is big enough on my small hands where I like that the sides are just accents. What about an asscher w/super small trilliants? Harry Winston makes this- it''s gorgeous.

I found the shallower ovals to have less bowtie and sparkle more. Really deep ones (68%+) also had less bowtie, but they just looked dark. The shallower stones were whiter. You do need to go up on colour with ovals- we found Gs too yellow in the ends.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 7:16:29 PM
Date: 10/16/2008 3:08:47 PM

Auth

I have not seen many half moons. I''ve seen some with ''sweetheart'' side stones -- heart shaped sides -- and they are kind of pretty, too.>>>>>

Why did you decide to search for an oval that''s more on the shallow end? How did you avoid bowtie?

I found three ovals too hard to get right. My fi made the decision on side stones. We liked 3 ovals with very small ovals - I found 3 of similar size to look too bulky and just well, ugly- i tried on tiffany''s 3 oval and it looked terrible. I also saw a 3 oval where you see the bowtie all the way across in all 3 stones, so that was another factor. Didn''t want to do hearts...I havne''t seen them anywhere. FI did not like small half moons since he said they looked like ''mouse ears''. Our jeweler really advised against trilliants but I love them... I think traps look GREAT with an emerald cut. Trills with a radiant would be great.

FI picked small pears which I love- the center stone is big enough on my small hands where I like that the sides are just accents. What about an asscher w/super small trilliants? Harry Winston makes this- it''s gorgeous.

I found the shallower ovals to have less bowtie and sparkle more. Really deep ones (68%+) also had less bowtie, but they just looked dark. The shallower stones were whiter. You do need to go up on colour with ovals- we found Gs too yellow in the ends.

[/quote]

Hello Scorpio!

I can kind of see why the jeweler advised against trills. The pears are perfect! I like your idea of an asscher or a radiant with smaller trilliants. That would be very pretty.

I''ve been considering 2 stones, both fancy yellow. One is a radiant and the other is an oval. They are very, very different in character and I''ve have a hard time deciding on one or the other. So if I do the oval I would want to do something similar to yours -- except the stone that I''m considering is much smaller (1.25 cts). The radiant is 1.18 and closer to a square than a rectangle. I have pix from the vendor. I don''t want to threadjack -- let me know if folks want to see the pix and give me their opinions :)

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Just Lovely! Congrats on your engagement!

~SL.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful proportions, Scorpio! Congratulations to you!
2.gif

ScorpioNYC

Shiny_Rock
Kimicocat- would love to see pics of the yellow diamonds you are considering!! please post

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/19/2008 8:38:33 AM

Kimicocat- would love to see pics of the yellow diamonds you are considering!! please post

hello Scorpio! You are such a sweetie :) Would love your input, you have terrific taste. I am starting a new thread so I don''t threadjack your beautiful engagement ring. Which is beautiful, btw -- let''s see more photos! I want to see some fire and some profiles.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results