shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring violation!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

averybojangles

Rough_Rock
google racial slur...."ghetto" made the list.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2007 10:07:03 PM
Author: averybojangles
google racial slur....''ghetto'' made the list.
How ''bout you link the post I used the word "ghetto" ... for context. I don''t believe anyone *else* mentioned finding the term offensive -- no matter what "google" says.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2007 7:42:20 PM
Author: Love in Bloom
I think Surf was concerned more about her thin girdle and that her diamond would somehow get chipped...

Complements are always welcome for me and if someone is really interested/looking for engagement ring options (i.e. asking specifics like ring size, manufacturer, metal, etc.) I will let someone look at my ring closer (on my finger, of course). But I never expect someone to grab and tap on it. That is diamond assault!
29.gif

Exactly what I was trying to get at Love...

Enough of the racial slurs, can we get back to MY RING!
20.gif

heh heh...

averybojangles

Rough_Rock
I don''t know how to link the post but I copied it.

This was your post:

... ahhhhh, a place for us ... a time & a place for us.

Just a cheeky response to the Jimmy Choo & Gucci thread! But I''m curious who ELSE falls into this less glam category??

Here are my standards:

SHOES
Black Dansko clogs
Tall black suede Uggs
Red Cole Haan mules
Nike Air Rift mary-jane-style sneaks
Platform sandals of various ilk
Flip flops from Target
Dastardly Chinese Slippers that are so so so "ghetto" but I love them
One indulgence: Ferragamo ankle boots in many colors/fabrics
CLOTHES
Stretchy flared jeans
Solid colored sweaters, tees & fitted shirts
Little blazers
White mens-style tank tops worn under things
Long jeans skirts
Black pants & skirts
A couple of floaty, peasent-style tops
There are no kitten-heels, silky chemises, little black dresses. WHO''S WITH ME??

averybojangles

Rough_Rock
Okay Surfgirl...
Sorry,
I''m done.

:)
Promise

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2007 10:15:44 PM
Author: surfgirl
Exactly what I was trying to get at Love...

Enough of the racial slurs, can we get back to MY RING!
20.gif

heh heh...
Have you disinfected your precious?
1.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Harriet, I wiped it off as soon as the perp left the scene of the crime
40.gif
And I have disinfected it with good old fashioned soap and hot water. I am considering lighting some sage and having a Native American smudging session...Is it too over-the-top?
37.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, even by my standards.
2.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2007 10:57:09 PM
Author: Harriet
Yes, even by my standards.
2.gif
Well that says a lot
28.gif
. Then hot soap and water will have to do!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2007 10:54:42 PM
Author: surfgirl
Harriet, I wiped it off as soon as the perp left the scene of the crime
40.gif
And I have disinfected it with good old fashioned soap and hot water. I am considering lighting some sage and having a Native American smudging session...Is it too over-the-top?
37.gif
OMG! Too funny
2.gif

Burn, baby. Burn!! Better make it a long session just to make sure. I always wondered how that worked...

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
I think its part of the bonding sales thing for them to "touch" or "ask to see the ring" when you initially meet your dress consultant girl and I think she was just blown away by your beauty that she didn''t know what to do.
2.gif
They probably do it as an opener - I''ve had a few bridal shops do this as well.

but to TOUCH the diamond - eww! no stranger should ever have that nerve!
29.gif

immi

Rough_Rock
Its a strange thing...ring etiquette.
Out in public, it is considered quite rude and classless to ask someone the "specs" on their ring.
But here, you post a pic of your ring, and that''s pretty much the first thing people want to know about it. Most times you don''t even have to request it, people willingly post all the numbers.
I don''t think anyone here has ever felt insulted when asked to post their "specs", but would those same people willingly give out that information if someone asked them that in person? Do you think it''s the anonymity of the internet that makes us feel comfortable telling anything people want to know - including price? Strange!
1.gif

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Personally, I totally do not mind when someone asks me specs about my ring. Even price! lol I always answer truthfully. I really like to educate a little about diamonds and jewelry shopping whenever I can ("stay away from retail stores, most are crap! shop online, do your research", etc).

Although grabbing someone''s hand to tap their ring is taking it a little far... if I want to see someone''s jewelry, I will always ask first! Same for touching a pregnant belly (of someone I know), I will always ask first. And when I was pregnant, I only ever had one stranger touch it, that was an elderly lady in a drugstore).

Anne

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2007 10:28:43 AM
Author: immi
Out in public, it is considered quite rude and classless to ask someone the 'specs' on their ring.
But here, you post a pic of your ring, and that's pretty much the first thing people want to know about it. Most times you don't even have to request it, people willingly post all the numbers.
I don't think anyone here has ever felt insulted when asked to post their 'specs', but would those same people willingly give out that information if someone asked them that in person? Do you think it's the anonymity of the internet that makes us feel comfortable telling anything people want to know - including price? Strange!
1.gif
No immi, it's more like if you come to AA meeting it's normal to be asked how much do you drink, what do you do when drunk (drive like Paris?). Not so usual questions you would expect at your grocery shopping line, right?
9.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
is this a regional "thang"? because down here in texas, no one seems to mind...if you ask questions and admire. and i will let people look closely if they ask first. i have never seen anyone get their knickers in a tangle over this.

one time i was in walmart and three jewelry junkies were all at a register, for a long wait. we started a mutual diamond admiration moment.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I might still call and complain. It''s not just that she touched your hand and ring . . . that''s pretty tacky . . . but she was doing it to ascertain if your diamond was real. That really is crossing the line. Since she''s in a business where everyone she sees is engaged, she needs to learn this lesson.

My 8 year old neighbor asked me if my diamonds are real and how much my pendant cost. Then again, she also asked my husband if he was one of those men who "goes to bars and sleeps with other women." If she doesn''t outgrow this complete lack of inhibition by the time she hits the double-digits, I''ll have a chat with her.
1.gif
But adults should know better!

immi

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/10/2007 6:06:37 PM
Author: Pricescope
Date: 6/10/2007 10:28:43 AM

Author: immi

Out in public, it is considered quite rude and classless to ask someone the ''specs'' on their ring.

But here, you post a pic of your ring, and that''s pretty much the first thing people want to know about it. Most times you don''t even have to request it, people willingly post all the numbers.

I don''t think anyone here has ever felt insulted when asked to post their ''specs'', but would those same people willingly give out that information if someone asked them that in person? Do you think it''s the anonymity of the internet that makes us feel comfortable telling anything people want to know - including price? Strange!

1.gif

No immi, it''s more like if you come to AA meeting it''s normal to be asked how much do you drink, what do you do when drunk (drive like Paris?). Not so usual questions you would expect at your grocery shopping line, right?
9.gif

Ahh, yes, good analogy!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2007 8:24:57 PM
Author: phoenixgirl
I might still call and complain. It's not just that she touched your hand and ring . . . that's pretty tacky . . . but she was doing it to ascertain if your diamond was real. That really is crossing the line. Since she's in a business where everyone she sees is engaged, she needs to learn this lesson.

My 8 year old neighbor asked me if my diamonds are real and how much my pendant cost. Then again, she also asked my husband if he was one of those men who 'goes to bars and sleeps with other women.' If she doesn't outgrow this complete lack of inhibition by the time she hits the double-digits, I'll have a chat with her.
1.gif
But adults should know better!
6.gif
I am speechless.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
As am I. Is her family, er, okay?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2007 8:52:25 PM
Author: Harriet
As am I. Is her family, er, okay?

That was the first thing that popped into my mind, too! How does an 8 year old even know about something like that?! Yikes.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
To be honest, I dont really care if someone asks me ABOUT my ring, it was the grabbing and the tapping on my stone with her nails that really offended me. Who TAPS on a strangers diamond? That was the weird part. If someone wants to ask "is it real" I dont care as much, though it is also weird. As for providing the stats to one''s stone, I''ve already done this a few times, like at that bachelorette party the woman who grabbed my hand oooh''d and ahhh''d a bit then asked what size was "it" and when I told her she said "total carat weight, right?" And I said no, just the center stone and proceeded to give her a dossier on the age, style, side stones, etc. just because I figured she wanted to know but I could tell her eyes glazed over so I just stopped myself
20.gif
from putting her to sleep. As someone on the Rocky Talk forum said recently, all the average person wants to know is: is it real and how big is it. But I try to educate people if they really seem interested...

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Love the new avatar Surf!!!

I was just thinking some strange thoughts as usual (I''m at work so I''m pouncing on any excuse to distract myself
38.gif
)...How funny it would be...but at the same time, easier...hehehe (I really am kidding about this, just bear with me)...if you had business-like cards printed with a small photo of the ring along with the stats of center stone stating its authenticity, side stones, setting type/manufacturer, metal, ring size, stone vendor, setting vendor, history etc. Kind of like an appraisal cheat/reference sheet. Then if someone asks, you could just hand them the card and not have to answer any questions. Sounds like what ppl are actually asking for all the time, but sadly, even in this pseudo ''solution'' to your problem there is a double standard here. Ppl would think anyone who actually does this is absolutely nuts and probably stuck up...but, oy vey, that is basically what this lady was asking you to do!

Or, even if you could get a plexiglass "mitten" type box around your hand so people couldn''t tap on your stone, they would probably end up tappin on the plexiglass if they weren''t too freaked out by the box in the first place
20.gif

Okay. Weird thoughts over for now...but just thought I would share with ya the straaaaaange things that my imagination acquires
19.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2007 12:32:37 AM

I was just thinking some strange thoughts as usual (I'm at work so I'm pouncing on any excuse to distract myself
38.gif
)...How funny it would be...but at the same time, easier...hehehe (I really am kidding about this, just bear with me)...if you had business-like cards printed with a small photo of the ring along with the stats of center stone stating its authenticity, side stones, setting type/manufacturer, metal, ring size, stone vendor, setting vendor, history etc. Kind of like an appraisal cheat/reference sheet. Then if someone asks, you could just hand them the card and not have to answer any questions. Sounds like what ppl are actually asking for all the time, but sadly, even in this pseudo 'solution' to your problem there is a double standard here. Ppl would think anyone who actually does this is absolutely nuts and probably stuck up...but, oy vey, that is basically what this lady was asking you to do!

Or, even if you could get a plexiglass 'mitten' type box around your hand so people couldn't tap on your stone, they would probably end up tappin on the plexiglass if they weren't too freaked out by the box in the first place
20.gif

Okay. Weird thoughts over for now...but just thought I would share with ya the straaaaaange things that my imagination acquires
19.gif
23.gif
But funny!!!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Love, that''s quite amusing! Perhaps we should design a PS biz card which one could customize and hand out to nosy parkers. Could include a photo as well, for lasting memories and supporting the old saying "take a picture, it lasts longer!"
28.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
OUch!! I'm laughing very hard...and it hurts. Gosh I dun wanna work!!!!!
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

PS would probably deny us any affiliation...complete with disclaimer. OMG. The laughing pains
39.gif
38.gif
39.gif

What would be even better is if the cards were printed with disappearing ink so when the lady clamps her big plastic nails on her 'card' to show someone else....Ha!!! Nothing muhahahaha!!
11.gif
29.gif
11.gif
(I'm sick)

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
aw! the tapping and the implication it isn't real are the killers. asking to see it is more of a compliment I think...Trust me, as no one except the occasional interested jeweler *ever* asks to see my ring, it's nice to have a tiny bit of attention now and then. Even the bridal store people didn't comment!

When I'm at work at my fancy store in Boston, I see a TON of diamond caratage and I just want to eat it all up! Usually my approach is, oh, that's a lovely ring, where did you find it? Then if they proffer the hand I look.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
If someone asks me whether it''s real, I''d laugh and say, ''uh, of course it is!'' But the ''let me see the ring first'' comment could go either way...if it''s to let the bride show off, okay, but if it''s to see how big it is to determine how much attention they get paid...that''s bad.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Surfgirl, just wanted to say I LOVE your new avatar, it''s so beautiful!

Hope you are feeling better about your ring assault...
40.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2007 12:32:37 AM

I was just thinking some strange thoughts as usual (I''m at work so I''m pouncing on any excuse to distract myself
38.gif
)...How funny it would be...but at the same time, easier...hehehe (I really am kidding about this, just bear with me)...if you had business-like cards printed with a small photo of the ring along with the stats of center stone stating its authenticity, side stones, setting type/manufacturer, metal, ring size, stone vendor, setting vendor, history etc. Kind of like an appraisal cheat/reference sheet. Then if someone asks, you could just hand them the card and not have to answer any questions. Sounds like what ppl are actually asking for all the time, but sadly, even in this pseudo ''solution'' to your problem there is a double standard here. Ppl would think anyone who actually does this is absolutely nuts and probably stuck up...but, oy vey, that is basically what this lady was asking you to do!

Or, even if you could get a plexiglass ''mitten'' type box around your hand so people couldn''t tap on your stone, they would probably end up tappin on the plexiglass if they weren''t too freaked out by the box in the first place
20.gif

19.gif

Love in Bloom - did you ever see the movie Zoolander? David Duchovny is in it as a retired actor/model with a famous hand, and he has a bariatric glass bubble around his hand to protect it. Just reminded me of your plexiglass bubble - too funny!

a

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results