shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me with these Emerald Cuts (Pics, IS, Sarin)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
So I''ve found two ECs that look promising...Please let me know if you see anything that would concern you or if you have any comments on either.
I''m hoping to have these stones sent to a local appraiser shortly, so I just want to check and see if the pricescopers see any red flags!
Personally I think the facets look a little more organized (if that''s the term) on the 1.08, but I am hoping to get a bigger stone...so I am leaning slightly towards the 1.2.
Thanks in advance for your help!

#1:
Carat: 1.08
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 68
Table: 68
Girdle: M
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 7.33*4.69*3.22
L to W Ratio: 1.57

Carat: 1.20
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 69
Table: 63
Girdle: M-STK
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 7.34*5.06*3.51
L to W Ratio: 1.45

Pics, sarin, and IS images to follow...

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
Pic of #1

DI40X_GIA14301099.jpg

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
Pic of #2

DI40X_GIA14800207.jpg

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
IS for #1

IS_GIA14301099.jpg

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
IS for #2

IS_GIA14800207.jpg

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
Sarin for #1

SARIN_GIA14301099.gif

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
Sarin for #2

SARIN_GIA14800207.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
#2 would likely be the brighter and more sparky of the 2 I think.
Pictures with them sitting like its hard to tell whats going on with them but going by the IS the second looks more promising to me.
Seeing them in person is a very good idea :}

A question to ask the appraiser is why Polish: Good on #2
If its just a small area then its kewl but if a major facet has polish problems then it needs to be looked at and discussed with the appraiser.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don''t see any red flags, those both look very nice! my preference would be for #2
2.gif

let us know what you find out after the appraisal.

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/1/2006 2:09:00 PM
Author: strmrdr
Pictures with them sitting like its hard to tell whats going on with them but going by the IS the second looks more promising to me.

If its just a small area then its kewl but if a major facet has polish problems then it needs to be looked at and discussed with the appraiser.
Thanks strmrdr...I''m secretly (not so secret any more!
20.gif
) hoping #2 is better just because it''s bigger, but truly I will probably choose whichever looks better in person.
I am definitely set on seeing them in person before purchasing and they will be sent to an appraiser so I can ask about the good polish.
I was torn about the "good" polish, but a lot of people on PS have mentioned that they''ve bought beautiful fancies with only good polish or symmetry...so I am taking a leap of faith on this one. The pic looks good to me but I''m curious how different it will be in person and if I''ll be able to tell the difference btw good and excellent polish...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2006 2:21:58 PM
Author: GGLW
Date: 2/1/2006 2:09:00 PM

Author: strmrdr

Thanks strmrdr...I''m secretly (not so secret any more!
20.gif
) hoping #2 is better just because it''s bigger, but truly I will probably choose whichever looks better in person.

I am definitely set on seeing them in person before purchasing and they will be sent to an appraiser so I can ask about the good polish.

I was torn about the ''good'' polish, but a lot of people on PS have mentioned that they''ve bought beautiful fancies with only good polish or symmetry...so I am taking a leap of faith on this one. The pic looks good to me but I''m curious how different it will be in person and if I''ll be able to tell the difference btw good and excellent polish...

You could ask to have Brian take a look at it before sending it off to an appraiser.
He would give you his honest expert opinion on it.
Its often not an issue but it can be.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not a EC expert, or any expert actually, but I prefer the shorter LW ratio of #2, and the numbers.
I think Storm's right #2 looks like it will be a brighter stone.
10.gif
Only your eyes will know for sure though...

Scintillating...

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
GGLW, this is completely speaking from a non-diamond educted mouth, but the first diamond looks like a slimmer rectangle, and the second looks a little fatter (????). At first I liked the clean lines for #1, but the more i see it the more I love #2. I''m currently in the search for a radiant, and it''s so much more about the close in-hand looks. Good luck!!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I love ECs!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Looking at the photos, I immediately preferred the first one, even though I knew photos can be misleading. Then when I looked at the Sarin and the IS picts that opinion was backed up. However, I agree you need someone who can actually evaluate the two in person before making a decision.

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/1/2006 2:31:48 PM
Author: Hest88
I love ECs!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Looking at the photos, I immediately preferred the first one, even though I knew photos can be misleading. Then when I looked at the Sarin and the IS picts that opinion was backed up. However, I agree you need someone who can actually evaluate the two in person before making a decision.
Hi Hest88,
Thanks for chiming in with a different opinion...I''m curious what it was about the Sarin and the IS that made you prefer #1.
I too immediately preferred the photo of the first one, but just not sure how much of the detail I''ll be able to see in person since I think the photo is 40x bigger than real life...
Anyway, thanks to everyone so far for your input!
Please keep it coming!!!!!!!! I need all the help I can get
33.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
GGLW, I know that to me, the first one appealed to me both in picture and sarin because everything had such clear crisp lines. The steps (that''s what they''re called?) are perfect and uniform and everything is just so clean. To me, that''s what an emerald is. It''s lame, sorry!

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
Amber, I know what you mean about the steps looking more uniform in #1. I think that''s what I was trying to say when I said it looked more organized...
My BF preferred #1 from the pics and was THRILLED
11.gif
when he found out after the fact that that one is the cheaper one...
So...anyway, I''m just trying to gather opinions and see if people think there''s anything I should look out for on either stone.

On a side note, I love your quote from Love Actually. That movie is so cute. It makes me cry every freakin'' time...

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
GG, no matter what, I love both of those stones. You''ll be happy with either, right? Maybe- just maybe you could look for a slightly bigger one with the same qualifications? But, I love the first, the more I see it.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2006 2:38:58 PM

I love ECs!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Hi Hest88,
Thanks for chiming in with a different opinion...I'm curious what it was about the Sarin and the IS that made you prefer #1.
I too immediately preferred the photo of the first one, but just not sure how much of the detail I'll be able to see in person since I think the photo is 40x bigger than real life...
33.gif

Aw heck, I actually meant I preferred the 2nd one!!!!! But now it's too late to edit my initial reply!!!!! (Stupid brain.
7.gif
) The 2nd one looks brighter, the crown height is better, and the IS doesn't have the black edges that are in the first. So sorry that I totally confused you!!!!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also like the second one. Like everything about it. The other one is nice too. But #2 looks like it will have some fire to it, which I like very much.
2.gif

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/1/2006 3:47:58 PM

Date: 2/1/2006 2:38:58 PM

I love ECs!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Hi Hest88,
Thanks for chiming in with a different opinion...I''m curious what it was about the Sarin and the IS that made you prefer #1.
I too immediately preferred the photo of the first one, but just not sure how much of the detail I''ll be able to see in person since I think the photo is 40x bigger than real life...
33.gif

Aw heck, I actually meant I preferred the 2nd one!!!!! But now it''s too late to edit my initial reply!!!!! (Stupid brain.
7.gif
) The 2nd one looks brighter, the crown height is better, and the IS doesn''t have the black edges that are in the first. So sorry that I totally confused you!!!!!!
Don''t worry about being confused!!! Join the club... Every 5 seconds I go back and forth...I''m sure my BF is just going to LOVE this when it comes to decision time in person...
20.gif

He is the type of shopper who likes to have a mission, run into the mall, grab it, and get home as fast as possible. He has already been very patient with my wishy-washiness over the setting, and I think he thought for some reason, it would be easier to pick the stone....
I just keep telling him I am going to wear this sucker forever so it has to be up to my high standards (just like him!).

Mrsgardener

Rough_Rock
My Vote-- #2.----
36.gif
-- I''ve been looking @ EM cuts for approx 1 year but wanted one for years!--- I just went today and delivered my loose .70 VVS2--D-- EM cut diamond so to be inserted in my Beautiful setting made especially for me , since I have a nickle allergy.
Good Luck in your EM adventure!
35.gif

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Based on the l/w ratio/shape and the IS I prefer the second.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I also like the 2nd one...between the L/W ratio and the table size, it looks like you''ll have a better performance from the diamond...the first one has a large table...when you get to see it, make sure it doesn''t look like "glass" if you do decide on #1.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#2 too... and this comes from someone who loves large baguette cut diamonds more than any other cut! The first one seems close to this preference of mine, but these are EC not baguettes, and in either shape I would look for minimal extinction (black under the IS picture) and more glitter (called ''scintillation'' over here) which comes from larger crown facets and smaller tables.

In person, it may be that the choice between these two is more of a close call than it is between these very magnified pictures, but as is, #2 comes tops by a long shot.

My 2c
38.gif

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know much about EC other than the fact that I like them, but my eye automatically liked the IS and photo of #2 the best. However, I know what you are saying with #1; it has a certain clean line, simplistic and classic beauty to it b/c its narrower and more defined. However I still think that #2 will be more brighter and sparklier than #1 based on IS images.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Listen, dont get caught up in all of the scopes, analyses, etc. Not to say that you shouldnt pay attention to them- but use them as a guide, no an end-all-be-all. The most valuable and important tool is your eyes....what looks good toYOU??? Find a diamond that you love....if you happen to have great numbers and analysses too, then hey, that''s great. I have an EC, and we were lucky enough to find one that both of us LOVED to look at, and looked awesome on paper....try not to feel so overwhelmed...the right one will come along, and when it does, you''ll know it.....
emwink.gif

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for all your input and some reassurances!

I can''t wait to see them in person. I''m just waiting to hear back from WF on some remaining questions I asked, and then I think we will try to have them shipped here to an appraiser ASAP.

I''m getting antsy waiting to see them in person!!!!
31.gif

The appraiser I want to use is out of town until Tuesday...but I think that should be OK since it''s Thursday already...

So...any more opinions are welcome in the meantime!

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to do a little update to this thread...

I had someone from the cutting dept at WF take a look at the two stones, and he said that #2 (the 1.2 ct) was definitely a nicer stone, which is great because that''s the one I was leaning towards.

So, they sent it out and I just got it from Fedex this afternoon....It''s very beautiful in person!
30.gif

The only thing is that after seeing these beauties magnified 40x larger than life, it looks a wee bit smaller than I had imagined, but I know I am just warped from seeing all of these huge pictures on PS.

I am taking it to the appraiser tomorrow, and if she thinks everything looks good, then it''s a keeper and it''s onto the next phase of waiting for the ring to be set and my BF to propose...

I''m crossing my fingers!

Thanks to everyone for your opinions and your invaluable assistance! Though it''s all for a good cause, this diamond hunting is way more complicated than I ever could have imagined

The good news is that for my next diamond
31.gif
I''ll be starting from a better base of knowlege...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results