shape
carat
color
clarity

Synthetic spinel?

elle_f

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I'm looking for some advice about an alternative, barely baby pink stone for an engagement ring, and heard you guys were the people to ask. I love the look of morganite, but am pretty hard on my hands. I really haven't found any sapphires in our price range, and many of them are way too pink for me.
I found a spinel in a color I love on eBay and it seems like just the right compromise, however given the price tag of $160 for an 8x6mm stone, I assume it's fair to guess that it's a synthetic.
My question is- does that really matter, in terms of durability and prettiness? For instance, I know people prefer not to have lab grown diamonds because they think mined diamonds are more romantic. But the lab diamonds still have the same chemical and physical properties, right? Is that the case for a synthetic spinel, or does it have different properties altogether? Isn't there a chance this is really just a piece of glass, not a "proper" synthetic?

Here's a picture of the stone:

Does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions? Is morganite truely too soft for an engagement ring if I'm planning on upgrading the stone in 5 years or so? My budget is around $1000 for the stone if I find something amazing, but any money we save goes directly toward other important expenses, so it's important to me that we choose the most economical option without sacrificing too much. I'm hoping for a 8x6 to 9x7 mm radiant or oval stone. I've combed through the links from the sticky thread, but it's so hard for me to tell how these stones will look in real life, and have a hard time spending a bunch of money on something I may return.

img_8980.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not necessarily but the picture is quite bad (glare and not taken straight on).

Synthetic - made of same material, same chemical and physical properties, just made by humans
Simulant - lookalike, not made of the same material, can be made by nature or by humans

Morganite can be an e-ring but it needs to be treated very gently.

Not light enough?
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/spinel/ysp574ac/&1244716636

elle_f

Rough_Rock
Edit, sorry not sure how to tag you!

Thanks. Do you know if most "fake" spinels are of the simulant or synthetic variety? I almost got the impression that it's so easy to make the synthetic there's no need to make a simulant.
That stone is still too dark for my tastes, but that looks like a good website so I will do some digging. Honestly, I have a cheap $20 glass ring that I love the color of and am trying to match. So I'm not even sure whether what I'm looking for exists in the real world.

I think I *might* be gentle enough on a morganite ring. I probably won't wear my engagement ring every day because of my job. But I feel like I'd be crushed if I scratched the stone just hitting it on something during a night out and then it's ruined forever.

img_15256.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results