shape
carat
color
clarity

is your ring perfectly symmetrical?

gzagenius

Rough_Rock
I just received my ring from BGD. It looks beautiful. But when I look at it close I notice it is not perfectly symmetrical. One side of the cathedral does not seem to exactly mirror the other half of the cathedral on the opposite side. But this is very minor and only noticeable if you look at it up close. Is this understandable, considering rings from BGD are handcrafted?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
honestly, I'm having a bit of an issue with mine as well... or maybe its just me that notices it (mine has to do with one verrrrry miniscule corner that seems to me a titch too long), and I just got my ring done :wacko: so you are not alone... :sick:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
no, mine is not. It's a custom piece, and the crossbar on the side-trellis is thinner on one side than the other looking from one direction, but from the other direction both sides are even. So I wear it so the even side faces me, and that's the only one I see - I know absolutely noone else would ever notice!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
there are times that I look at my ring and wonder if it is PERFECTLY symmetrical...but it is beautiful and good enough. I think you should just wear it and enjoy it!

gzagenius

Rough_Rock
You know, after looking at it forever, I realized, who is going to examine it all day close up? Only ME, because I spent so much time and effort (and money) to design this ring for the love of my life. And am I going to be the one wearing it? No. The fact that it is not perfectly symmetrical gives it character, because it looks wonderful the way it is and the asymmetry is hardly hardly noticeable. All that matters is that it looks beautiful and that when I present it to my soon-to-be she will think the same. I just can't wait to see it on her finger. Perhaps I will post some pictures here after the question is popped. :)

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got a couple that are not as well, but I guess that does give them character.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
It is a credit to being a HAND crafted ring. Not something off of assembly line. It is what makes your ring Unique. And you are right she will LOVE IT. Relax and just get it on her hand so we can see pictures :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Good Luck!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
gzagenius said:
I just received my ring from BGD. It looks beautiful. But when I look at it close I notice it is not perfectly symmetrical. One side of the cathedral does not seem to exactly mirror the other half of the cathedral on the opposite side. But this is very minor and only noticeable if you look at it up close. Is this understandable, considering rings from BGD are handcrafted?

fyi, rings from BGD are not handcrafted - they are CAD/Cast and than hand finished. There is a lot of difference.
Actually, it makes errors and un-symmetrical pieces less understandable, when pieces are cast.

To answer your question, as far as I can tell my solitaire from BGD is symmetrical, to the eye which is what counts. If I measured it with calipers, maybe it wouldn't be perfectly symmetrical (maybe it would) - but I'm not going to do that ;))

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
My ring is from Holloway Diamonds and the cathedral is just a teeensy bit uneven, but like your ring it is only noticeable to me. I know it's fully handmade and I was prepared for some slight irregularities reflecting that so I don't mind it (even though I am really anal!).

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring was handcrafted and it's not perfectly symmetrical. I noticed this two or three days after i received it and freaked out, so i went to the jeweller and told him about it. He insisted that no handcrafted ring can be absolutely symmetrical and that if you wish for handcrafted jewellry you should learn to live with those tiny little imperfections that make your pieces so unique and so...well, handcrafted!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Naty, I completely agree with you and what your jewellers has told you. However I think there is a general misconception in this thread which should be clarified for readers - BGD does not hand create their rings. BGD as a vendor cast their pieces which are then hand assembled or hand finished-there are videos of the CAD/casting process on their blog. This is a very different process to hand crafting a ring from start to finish.
I would like to say I point this out with no bias, being the owner of two BG settings which I well know are cast and am happy with- however I did not want potential clients or others being misled by this thread is all.
As many have noted, often there is a general attitude that more 'allowances' should be made for completely hand made settings, those small imperfections which distinguish it as so. I dont however believe one should expect not accept perceived flaws in their cast jewellery, as CAD and casting is specifically used to produce precision and consistency..of course, as the OP has found depending on the nature of the 'flaw', often these too can be accepted where small etc.
I do hope the OP doesnt mind me attempting to clarify for other readers.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
arjunajane said:
Naty, I completely agree with you and what your jewellers has told you. However I think there is a general misconception in this thread which should be clarified for readers - BGD does not hand create their rings. BGD as a vendor cast their pieces which are then hand assembled or hand finished-there are videos of the CAD/casting process on their blog. This is a very different process to hand crafting a ring from start to finish.
I would like to say I point this out with no bias, being the owner of two BG settings which I well know are cast and am happy with- however I did not want potential clients or others being misled by this thread is all.
As many have noted, often there is a general attitude that more 'allowances' should be made for completely hand made settings, those small imperfections which distinguish it as so. I dont however believe one should expect not accept perceived flaws in their cast jewellery, as CAD and casting is specifically used to produce precision and consistency..of course, as the OP has found depending on the nature of the 'flaw', often these too can be accepted where small etc.
I do hope the OP doesnt mind me attempting to clarify for other readers.

Arjunajane - I agree with most of what you posted. I agree that CAD/casting shouldn't be considered handmade, but I do consider handcarved wax/casting to be handmade, desite being cast instead of fabricated.

gzagenius

Rough_Rock
So is there any difference between custom settings from BGD vs. a setting from an "assembly line?" What do they really mean when they "assembly line?" How would a lot of these pricescope vendors' settings be different than a setting from a B&M?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
gzagenius said:
So is there any difference between custom settings from BGD vs. a setting from an "assembly line?" What do they really mean when they "assembly line?" How would a lot of these pricescope vendors' settings be different than a setting from a B&M?

Hi GZA, to be honest that question is a little large - for example, there is a lot of variety of what can be obtained in B&M's, some will carry designer settings which will be of very high quality, whilst others will carry hollow and unattractive settings of poor make - kwim?
Therefore its almost an impossible comparison to make.

I didn't intend to imply anything about the quality of BGD settings - as mentioned I own two and am very happy with the quality.
From what I have seen, they do very good (read high end) custom cast settings. You should not have any concern about the quality at all.

I just wanted to make the distinction as many seemed to be assuming BGD handcraft, which is incorrect .
A hand drawn design, which is than created starting with gold or platinum wire, annealing and shaping it, using hand saws, burrs, carving techniques etc to finish it, is really a different process from casting a ring from a wax generated from a CAD (computer aided design).

I'm not sure exactly what is meant by the 'assembly line' comment as I didn't make it.

btw, your screen name, I'm guessing you're a fan of Liquid Swords..? ;))

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain said:
Arjunajane - I agree with most of what you posted. I agree that CAD/casting shouldn't be considered handmade, but I do consider handcarved wax/casting to be handmade, desite being cast instead of fabricated.

Hi LD, thanks for your comment. Hrmm..I can see your point; if a jeweller works on a wax by hand for 20 hours, this does add a difference.
I think in a 'purist' view (which is the one I'm taking here for the sake of distinction), it would still be considered cast - but obviously, just as with hand creation there are varying levels of quality and attention given to the piece, the same goes for wax and casting.

It probably bears mentioning here that just because something is handmade, doesn't mean it will necessarily be 'better' by default than a cast piece. Each vendor and their methods should be judged on their own merits and standards of previous work.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
No, and I've never had one that was perfect. Maybe my Novo was, I spent a lot of time scrutinizing the prongs and eventually concluded any asymmetry was just shadows. I love my e-ring think the workmanship is great, but still I eventually plan to get a few tweaks to the prongs so they are (closer to) perfect.

gzagenius

Rough_Rock
arjunajane said:

Oh, you know it... :)

I understand your comment about the misconception of the "hand crafted" rings. I know my ring from BGD is definitely high quality and am happy with it, even though I do notice some asymmetry. As long as the lady likes it.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to go a little off-topic but I was wondering if Leon Mege and MWM are made from casts? What about JM? Is there some kind of a list on PS of which vendors create handmade rings and which are aided by CAD and casts?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
gzagenius said:
arjunajane said:

Oh, you know it... :)

I understand your comment about the misconception of the "hand crafted" rings. I know my ring from BGD is definitely high quality and am happy with it, even though I do notice some asymmetry. As long as the lady likes it.

Hey GZA,

he he, thought so - good taste, imho aside from "Enter" easily the best Wu album, good memories ::)

I hope you will share photos of your BGD ring either before or after you've popped the question!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Travel Goddess said:
Sorry to go a little off-topic but I was wondering if Leon Mege and MWM are made from casts? What about JM? Is there some kind of a list on PS of which vendors create handmade rings and which are aided by CAD and casts?

Hi TG,
I don't believe there is such a list, but these things can usually be garnered from the vendor's website or, if not, easily from speaking to them.
For example, on BGD's blog they show often show the CAD and the rough cast of their pieces.

Out of the 3 vendors you've mentioned, I understand all are hand forged with no casting. I have only worked directly with JM though, who I can certainly vouch is all hand made.

If you are interested at all in the process - my recent OEC ring which was handcrafted, my goldsmith kindly took photos for me of the process from start to finish which I find very intriguing..I will happily post the photos when I receive my ring next week.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why ring is part cad (shank) and part hand made (halo and gallery) and absolutely NOT symmetrical. My BGD pendant is perfect, BUT it's not a ring.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
my handmade ring is not symmetrical, but i'm the only one that would notice!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
None of my rings have been *perfectly* symmetrical, and that includes a setting from a local jeweler, a setting from WF, and a setting from BGD. All cast/CADs.

Chylln603

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone!

I just went through a long 2 month process of making a custom engagement ring for my soon to be fiancé and just received delivery of the ring today. Originally the jeweler sent me CADs of the design and had a wax figure made that I approved. Upon receiving the ring I noticed that there is a VERY obvious misalignment of the ring. It is not near symetrical (see pics below). I'm worried this is going to make the ring look awkward. I spend a lot of money on this ring and $3,000 on the custom setting alone. Before I contact the jewler who made the ring, I want to know, can this be fixed? If so, how? And will this be costly. If so, I will probably ask the jewler who made it to cover the cost to repair it.

Cheers,
Matt image_893.jpg
image_895.jpg

rushee

Rough_Rock
thank you for posing this question and helping me to calm down.

I just received my JA solitaire and after scrutinizing for hours, I see the tiniest diference in the angle of the cathedral on each side. Your post made me realize I need to relax and enjoy the beautiful ring. No one else will ever see it- unless the look at it up close for hours.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results