shape
carat
color
clarity

Replace stone in Illusion setting?

lkredhat

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a ring with a colored center stone (in a not-common color) in a vintage setting (filigree on the band, illusion head).

I'm wondering if it is better to buy a vintage setting with the head I like, and swap out the stone, or buy a band or a vintage prong/peg setting and ask a jeweler to replace/add an illusion head?

Any feedback from those of you who've tinkered with your vintage rings?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it would depend. Is the stone you want such that it's super rare, so finding one in a certain cut/size would be challenging, or is the setting you like more the challenging find? Generally, we advise someone to get the stone first, but if you have a particular setting in mind already, and the stone is something you can easily find to fit, I guess I would go that route.

More details about your project would be helpful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be helpful to know what the gemstone type and colour is. In general, it is more challenging to find the right CS in a specific mm size and shape than to find the right setting. On the other hand, changing out a peg head into an illusion head can end up quite expensive due to the amount of labour involved.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results