shape
carat
color
clarity

Rolling ring, pave diamond. Who can make it?

Garuda

Rough_Rock
Looking to have this ring made.

I had a guy who sells a premade 3mm version, in 14k quote me. But when I said I'd be sending it to a lab to confirm the specs on receipt. He backed out. So now I'm stuck. She's totally in love with this ring, and I like it as well. It's the one.

18k, white, rose, and yellow gold bands
4mm each band
Brilliant cut
3 rows of stones per band
g,h
if-vs2
Size 51 in this style, I was told, but at another store she was sized at 5 1/2 for a normal ring (which I think isn't exactly a 51??)

I'm stuck guys, I've been hunting for a ring for about a year. And finally, I've found one I really like, and she loves.

Who can make this? I reached out to Barry at Excel but he didn't even bother replying, and it's twice I emailed him.

pave_ring.jpg

2012-03-14_15.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are a number of people who CAN (as in are capable) of making it. It just depends on your expectations. I know your lady loves it, but that's a ring that will take a lot of heavy damage easily. And that's not a quality issue, it's a design issue. I would ask Leon Mege if he'll make something like that for you. Or perhaps Whiteflash.

There is no "lab" that inspects ready made jewelry for quality though. That's the job of an appraiser.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Gypsy, with a design like this I would want a bench that specializes in pave to do the work. Unfortunately it's not at all uncommon to lose stones in these type settings, so the better set the stones are in the beginning the better off you will be in the long run. As Gypsy said though, it's a design issue, so even if you have a pave master makes the ring for you, it' won't be guaranteed that you won't lose a stone or two down the road. :(sad I'll take a quick look around and see if I can find a similar design for you though.

Garuda

Rough_Rock
I had some real worry about losing stones. This is to be an everyday ring, no engagement, this will be the engagement and band in one.
A certain fashion house C@rtier makes this. I'm not there yet to pay retail for it. I read just moments ago in another thread a comment by Sarahbear621 that she's seen some of Leon's pave work recently fall apart. :-o

So I gather you guys are saying.. for an everyday this is going to be falling apart regularly? :confused:

Whoops. yes I meant an appraiser, not a lab. ty!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're saying it's a PHENOMENALLY poor design choice for an everyday ring. And if that's what you lady has to have then you would be best off with the Cartier because it will have the best warranty (lifetime) and no other vendor I know of will match that for that design. In this particular case knocking of the design and going custom is a bad idea and a waste of money because what you will pay for repairs, time and energy to keep it in good shape will make you regret it.

Garuda

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1344136874|3246186 said:
We're saying it's a PHENOMENALLY poor design choice for an everyday ring. And if that's what you lady has to have then you would be best off with the Cartier because it will have the best warranty (lifetime) and no other vendor I know of will match that for that design. In this particular case knocking of the design and going custom is a bad idea and a waste of money because what you will pay for repairs, time and energy to keep it in good shape will make you regret it.

My head now officially hurts. 40K is not the budget for her ring... Which is what the list is on that.

Garuda

Rough_Rock
Christina...|1344137095|3246187 said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTH-CARTIER-18K-TRI-COLOR-GOLD-TRINITY-PAVE-DIAMONDS-GORGEOUS-RING-51-US-SIZE-6-/180938150941?_trksid=p4340.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D1102461011664104634%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26

looks like the size is right too. =)

Six I'd pay, but it's only got the 1 of the three in stone lol.. but I see your point. This is authentic.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
We didn't answer your sizing question...it's not unusual to have to go up 1/2 a size or so when wearing a thick band, so if she wears a 5.5 in a 2-3mm band then I would guess that a 6 or 51 would be about right in a ring with this width.

It's a gorgeous beautiful ring, :love: and I can completely understand the desire to have it, but knowing that this is a ring that she will want to wear everyday....yikes! Gypsy makes a great point about buying the authentic piece from Cartiers, at least then you would have the warranty, so if (when) you lose a stone, you know that you want run into costly repairs.

I know bummer about the ebay ring....I can't find one with pave on all three bands. I'll keep looking though, it's possible we can come across something. PSers love a challenge! :lol:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Did the jeweler that you initially worked with offer any type of warranty on his work? Most only offer a warranty against defects of workmanship and that probably wouldn't be the issue in this case. Now that you have a better idea of the delicacy of the design, you could go back and discuss it with your SO and see if she has a change of heart.

Garuda

Rough_Rock
Problem is now i'm totally in love with it. I'll post a video tomorrow of it on her finger.. It shines like nothing I've ever seen.

I'm the one who chose it for her, she's somewhat of a less picky person than myself.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will agree with the others that this is a special occasion ring and definitely NOT an everyday ring! I honestly wouldn't attempt to have it made by someone else but Cartier. If I did, Victor Canera would be the only person I'd consider, but still, it won't be an everyday ring. The one that Christina linked might be a little more wearable since you wouldn't have 3 pave rings rubbing against each other. I strongly suggest rethinking this as a wedding band and get one in the future for a ring to be worn occasionally.

Garuda

Rough_Rock
I've no personal experience with Pave, so I had no idea the stones fall out on a regular basis. This is crushing. After a year, I thought I finally had it figured out. Was going to propose in Sept. I am somewhat unsure and uncertain about a second hand ring.. Superstitious, or would like it to be perfect without a scratch. I envision her starring at it closely for long periods of time. Lol

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chose something else. That's pretty much it.

You need to find something much more reasonable for very day wear.

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
I wholeheartedly agree about the durability issue. Have you considered a channel-set rolling band? Memoire makes one: http://memoire.com/catalog/collections.aspx?products=2062 I also think Whiteflash or The Facets Collection could custom make one if you want, but custom designs usually aren't returnable so it might be better to try to find something like this in person first to make sure you like the channel design... I doubt it'll shine exactly like the pave bands, but the channel setting ensures a little more durability IMO and keeps in mind the rolling band design. According to this retailer, that exact band from Memoire retails for $6050: http://www.betteridge.com/memoire-tri-color-18k-gold-diamond-rolling-ring/p/2221/

channelrollingring.jpg

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
This ring is absolutely gorgeous :love:

But the three bands will rub against each other and it will get damaged pretty easily. I have a non diamond Trinity from Cartier and it scratches fast, it creates a sort of patina that I think is lovely but I can only imagine that the tiny diamonds would be submitted to a lot of stress from the rubbing.

It's definitely not an everyday ring unless you have the budget to buy at Cartier and to pay for the regular maintenance! And I wouldn't get that design from anybody else as if you're in love with the design you will probably be disappointed with a copy (because it's a very specific design, much complicated to replicate).

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Basically repeating the above (and the obvious!!) purchase it only thru Cartier. You will NEVER be happy with a replica.

But...

I'd suggest this is a RHR for your GF, not an engagement/wedding band. If its the cartier trinity ring she wants as a wedding band, then go for the plain - other than the patina, it will stand the test of time, just like your love... and isn't that what the ring is supposed to represent? :halo:

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Frenchcut|1344169497|3246283 said:
This ring is absolutely gorgeous :love:

But the three bands will rub against each other and it will get damaged pretty easily. I have a non diamond Trinity from Cartier and it scratches fast, it creates a sort of patina that I think is lovely but I can only imagine that the tiny diamonds would be submitted to a lot of stress from the rubbing.

It's definitely not an everyday ring unless you have the budget to buy at Cartier and to pay for the regular maintenance! And I wouldn't get that design from anybody else as if you're in love with the design you will probably be disappointed with a copy (because it's a very specific design, much complicated to replicate).

This is a gorgeous ring, and I know pave can have problems, especially with this rolling ring style. I wonder if it's possible to have this style custom made so that all the bands are "fixed" to each other and doesn't actually have the rolling movement, but gives the illusion? I know this doesn't eliminate losing stones, etc but might it cut down on some possible damage because they wouldn't be rubbing against each other?

Garuda

Rough_Rock
http://www.cartier.us/#/show-me/jewelry/n4210700-trinity-ring,-classic-model

Yes this is the one, it's 36k in Canada. So with the tax, just over 40k.

I've been looking for a ring for the last couple years, in earnest over the last year. Have probably looked at 10-20,000 different rings. I spent countless hours on google images, after typing in terms like diamond ring.. eternity band. etc etc. By chance I came across the Trinity ring. She's got a silver one that she absolutely loves. So this, just seemed to make sense. Sadly, as with all my selections. It ended up being a very expensive piece. For me, 40k on a ring is expensive. For some others perhaps not. Hence my search to have someone make it for me.

The SA at Cartier didn't bring about any objections when I mentioned it was to be an everyday piece. But then again, I wouldn't expect them to tell me it's going to fall apart routinely. Looking close up at the photos, it looks like the stones are held beneath the claws, so the stones themselves aren't actually going to rub on anything else.

I talked to her last night, her immediate response based on your replies is to forgo the ring and pick something else.. It's quite easy for her to say.. she didn't just spend a gazzillion hours picking it. lol.

There's very few pieces I can say I enjoy, and fewer still I'd want for her.
You can see the little ring vs the larger one on her fingers. 18K vs 40k insane. Of course we both took to the larger one.. me especially.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
===================================================
Video of the rings on her fingers as well, 2 videos, 1 with both on.
http://goo.gl/ohN6D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
==================================================

2012-03-14_3.jpg

2012-03-14_4.jpg

2012-03-14_5.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look, you are invested. We get that. But she's the one wearing it. And she's being sensible and is okay with moving on.

You are planning on marrying this woman. Spending your life with her. Life is funny, and you may get a chance to buy this ring for her somewhere down the line-- not as a everyday piece. Your 5 year anniversary would be perfect.

The suggestion above (which was a great one) of getting a similar ring but with the bands being fixed instead of rolling will still result in a ring that isn't for everyday wear. BUT it will result in a ring you can have made by Victor Canera, for example. And that means it would make a fabulous anniversary present.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looking at your video, she has slim hands. I think the thinner bands looked better on her hand - the $!8K ring. If you are stuck on this ring (and it seems like it is *you* stuck on it, not her) then I guess you'll have to either get over it in terms of cost and bite the bullet and spend the $40K, or realize that it is not the most practical of forever rings and find an alternative, which seems like that's what she's up for.

The issue of a constantly moving/rolling pave band, rubbing against each other, every day, for the rest of your lives together - doesn't seem like the most practical of rings. That's the simplest way of saying what we've been trying to tell you :halo: :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think you are getting what I am saying.

I'm not saying it should be a 'special occasion' ring. I said it shouldn't be an everyday ring. Those are different things.

I have a stacking band. It's got emeralds in it, which makes it unsuitable for everyday as emeralds are soft and can get damaged easily. I wear it to work 2-3 days a week. I put it on in the morning, I take it off when I get home. I will wear it when I go out shopping on the weekends, put it on just before leaving the house, take it off when I get back to the house.

In contrast I do everything with my wedding band. I pretty much never take it off. I shower with it, sleep with it, everything.

My engagement ring, especially when I first got it, I wore all the time. Every day. I may have taken it off when I slept (I didn't before my reset to a pave halo, but after I always take it off for bed) but that was it. I still wear it often, but I wear my wedding band by itself, or just with my emerald stacker some days.

After women get married, some of them like to switch out their rings. That's when you buy bands that are more fragile. So you can put them on when you feel like having a different look: I have days where I want a lot of bling, and days where all I wear it my wedding band. And rings like the pave trinity are perfect for this purpose. That's why I said that you should get it for her for anniversary ring.

Also, do you often substitute your judgement for hers? She's telling you to move on. If she's your partner the way someone you plan to marry should be, and not a second class citizen, then I think you need to need to listen to her and wake up to the reality that this ring design isn't going to work, and that you need to move on. It sounds like you've been lurking on PS for a while, you had posted about the durability of the design earlier on in your research (if you had found PS of course, if you hadn't then... that makes sense) we could have saved you a lot of time.

You need to move on. Or buy the Cartier.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I feel for you, I really do. I completely understand investing lots of time into an important decision, finding the perfect solution, and then finding out that the solution isn't as perfect as once thought. ;( From the perspective though of a woman, our wedding rings are extremely sentimental to most of us, and the thought of it being tainted with constant and timely repairs certainly takes much of the joy out of it.

Can you tell us what it is specifically about this ring that you love? Is it the rolling piece or is the combination of different metals, or is it that bling factor? I was thinking about this last night, and a better option may be to stack two or three pave bands in different metals. 18kwg 18kt yg and 18kt rg.

This is an expensive example and we can find a more budget friendly option, but to give you an idea...
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/pearlmans-bridal-jewelry/rings/15EE1/

She would need to wear a small spacer ring between the bands to avoid damage to the pave, and there is still the risk of losing a stone, but IMO a better option than the trinity.

Have you had the opportunity to check out VC LM SK or RDG? They're are all pave masters and have beautiful unique designs and all do custom hand forged work. You may find something in their catalog that inspires you....

https://www.artofplatinum.com/vault/
http://www.stevenkirsch.com/showroom/engagement-wedding-bands.html
http://www.victorcanera.com/
http://rdgnz.com/

I would also check out RDGs facebook page, they have several photos of work that they have completed and are in the process of creating. They are all masters in their trades.

Oh, I want to add 23rd street too, they have some beautiful unique pieces as well.
http://23rdstreetjewelers.com/

edit typo

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results