shape
carat
color
clarity

Eagle has landed! E-Bay diamond under Ideal-Scope

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gang! We received our diamond from GemStoneKing (e-Bay) today and I have a couple of questions:

1) How difficult is it to read the GIA laser inscription? I'm not sure if I'm using the loupe correctly, but I searched the entire girdle with a 10X loupe and could not locate the inscription.

2) How do the Ideal-Scope images look? While viewing the stone on the Ideal Light, the slightest movement seemed to give varied results. I will try to get my hands on a digicam for better pictures, but can any inferences be made from the following pics?

Thank you in advance for any guidance!

Here are the specs of the stone:

1.2ct Round Brilliant
Measurement: 6.77 - 6.83 x 4.19 mm
Color Grade: I
Clarity Grade: IF
Cut Grade: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
Depth: 61.6%
Table: 58%
Crown Angle: 34
Pavilion Angle: 41
Cutlet: None
HCA: 1.6

iPhone pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yYTayilImCUIForlNjhPln8-14u2OiKiOSPlhYe9Nnk?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NVbsvnCX6rkdjsgPOXgNA38-14u2OiKiOSPlhYe9Nnk?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/imS1nTCknOJ4mduD0sc3nX8-14u2OiKiOSPlhYe9Nnk?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_OWlDQilhbYYDuYTpaAZtH8-14u2OiKiOSPlhYe9Nnk?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/nffzvH1ZyTLe8Wa_6I1se38-14u2OiKiOSPlhYe9Nnk?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mhGvWil-Wpjhljt4WBzlAn8-14u2OiKiOSPlhYe9Nnk?feat=directlink

GIA_0.jpg

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
Here are two more iPhone pics with fresh Ideal Light batteries:

photo%202-6.jpg

photo%201-6.jpg

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
I borrowed a digicam from a friend, but I'm having trouble getting a focused, zoomed-in, image.

SANY0418.jpg

Upside-Down photo: SANY0430.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't help you with the idealscope question. Re the inscription: I asked a local jeweler to read an inscription on a diamond - she had to use 45X magnification to read it! I've seen some websites that say you should be able to read an inscription with a 20X loupe. All I can say is... good luck with that! :wink2:

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
Thanks VRBeauty! That puts my mind at ease a little. Did your local jeweler charge a fee for reading the inscription? I'm planning to bring the stone to a jeweler tomorrow for confirmation. I'm hoping they might have a hearts and arrows viewer so I can take a peek at that as well!

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
TrialnError|1340166328|3219964 said:
Thanks VRBeauty! That puts my mind at ease a little. Did your local jeweler charge a fee for reading the inscription? I'm planning to bring the stone to a jeweler tomorrow for confirmation. I'm hoping they might have a hearts and arrows viewer so I can take a peek at that as well!

Inscription: on the 3 stones I have/had, I could see it with an 8x loupe. Maybe you've missed it?

IS: From the poor pic quality I'd think they're OK. The middle shots show some tilt, so I don't think the stone was centered properly = not truly depicting leakage dead center/head on. If you go to ideal-scope.com, there are instructions on what to do to take better pics. Are you putting it in macro? Didn't you say GSK sent you some images? Post those up since they're probably clearer than yours.

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
TitanCi|1340169437|3219990 said:
TrialnError|1340166328|3219964 said:

Inscription: on the 3 stones I have/had, I could see it with an 8x loupe. Maybe you've missed it?

IS: From the poor pic quality I'd think they're OK. The middle shots show some tilt, so I don't think the stone was centered properly = not truly depicting leakage dead center/head on. If you go to ideal-scope.com, there are instructions on what to do to take better pics. Are you putting it in macro? Didn't you say GSK sent you some images? Post those up since they're probably clearer than yours.

Thanks Titan! I don't have the greatest eyesight or loupe skills, so I'm hoping a jeweler can confirm the inscription under magnification. I was experiencing the tilt/center issue you are describing, getting varied results with slight changes in angle. I tried macro and non-macro, with better results on non-macro. My main issue with taking the photos is that the digital camera is "over-focusing". It passes the point of optimal focus, resulting in blurry images. Unfortunately, I don't have any vendor pics of this particular stone. Thanks for any insight.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
TrialnError|1340165215|3219951 said:
I borrowed a digicam from a friend, but I'm having trouble getting a focused, zoomed-in, image.

SANY0418.jpg

In this pic here, the WB looks correct (not sure which you chose); but if you look at around 5 o clock, from the edge of the table reflection to the actual edge of the table is roughly 8.5 mm (on my ruler). At 11 that measurement is 7.0 mm, so from 7-11 o clock you can see the "leakage" from tilt. So if it was centered properly, I don't think we'd see the white/pink we are seeing now, maybe see more of what's happening from 12-6. I'd say you got a decent looking stone from those images. :wavey:

DiamondBrokersofFlorida

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Maybe GIA forgot to do the laser inscription. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened. I saw one the other day and we've had to send stones back as they forgot.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the stone is probably fine. We are used to seeing pro idealscope images, but you have a lot of red there and white at the right places. So you just need verification that the stone matches your cert. And that would be by looking at the inclusions in the diamond and not so much the inscription.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1340194978|3220067 said:
I think the stone is probably fine. We are used to seeing pro idealscope images, but you have a lot of red there and white at the right places. So you just need verification that the stone matches your cert. And that would be by looking at the inclusions in the diamond and not so much the inscription.

Diamondseeker, the stone's clarity is IF... so no inclusions there...
From my personal experience: My jeweler couldn't see the inscription on my GIA certified diamond and neither could i with my 10X loupe. I had to take it to an appraiser who used much more magnification...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results