shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this red spinel too pyrope-y??

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I have been looking for a smallish red spinel in a pear shape. I found this and love the cut and the size but I keep vacillating on the color. Is it too pyrope looking? Opinions please!

2443a.jpg

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
How about a larger pic?

Screen Shot 2011-12-15 at 8.26.45 PM.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Damn! :nono:

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
You have any sources for one?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
In general, I agree. If that's the best picture a vendor could get, that is not a good sign. It looks like it has extinction even with a brightly lit and completely white background, and there seems to be brown in it which would concern me. As for the orangeyness, I've learned that red spinels can shift color under different light, so that is more difficult. If you want to pursue it further, I'd ask for multiple pictures (preferably under different light conditions) and a verbal description of hue under different light sources.

I posted pictures of my red spinel in other threads and it is a neutral red in most light, but can shift from orangey red to purple red depending on the light source. I think that rubies shift less, if that is important to you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Treenbean|1324011003|3082694 said:
You have any sources for one?

I wish I did. I don't know anyone that carries really nice red spinels, unless you want to pay a fortune. Perhaps others can make some suggestions. I also don't like that black extinction bow tie looking thing in the middle of the stone. Here's what I consider a nice Burmese red spinel (is that stone above Burmese??? Looks like it). Hope this helps.

http://www.gemsbynomads.com/blog/2011/10/13/red-spinel-from-burma-2-07-ct/

burmeseredspinel.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know your budget but I picked up a nice, small pinkish/red spinel from AJS that was about $500 a carat. I am very pleased with it. I know everyone has different tastes but I would prefer a red with pink or purple over a red with brown.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
TL, can you give a ballpark expected price range for that spinel you posted?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1324046127|3082809 said:
TL, can you give a ballpark expected price range for that spinel you posted?

I don't know, but Nomad, the seller of that stone, is very expensive, and they only sell to the trade. My guess is several thousand per carat, but not sure how much.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
TL|1324046356|3082810 said:
I don't know, but Nomad, the seller of that stone, is very expensive, and they only sell to the trade. My guess is several thousand per carat, but not sure how much.

That sounds reasonable from my experience. It's nearly impossible to find a well-cut, attractive red with no window. I wonder how they got that picture...still trying to get a good one of mine. I bet a green background like Nomad's would help with the white balance on my camera!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Here's a heated ruby pear:
http://www.gemselect.com/ruby/ruby-279284.php

It looks like it is does not have great clarity, and it might have a window. A lot of gemselect's rubies are fracture filled. I've never bought from them, and it would be expensive to determine if this was treated with more than heat (like beryllium treatment). It should not be as expensive to determine if it's been fracture filled.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
TL - Nomad's stones are AHH mazing and yeah that isn't in my budget... But it's nice to look

Preg- I like the ruby but it's too big. :nono:

I will continue to look. The thrill is in the hunt.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If that's the worst picture/colour, then it's a decent buy. If that's the best picture.....no go. Sorry, Treebean.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1324393740|3085281 said:

Pregcurious,
It's not that pyrope garnets are all ugly, but
1) Pyropes are not as expensive as red spinels, typically, so why would you want a red spinel to look like one?
2) Some pyropes, just like any gemstone species, has unattractive examples, and some spinels that look like pyropes, represent the unattractive pyrope garnets. This spinel may be included in that as it has a bit of extinction, and it has a lot of brown in it. My experience with vendor photos from what I've seen on PS, and in my own experience is that if a spinel looks somewhat "pyrope" like in a photo, it will be much more so in person. This could be the rare example, but better safe than sorry.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
TL, I wasn't suggesting that the OP look for a spinel that looks like chrome pyrope garnet. I already posted my negative opinion of the spinel the OP posted.

I posted Zeolite's thread so the OP is aware of anthill pyrope garnets. I find Zeolite's threads very educational and fun, and his thread makes it clear that his stone is a rare example. I think his threads are a great contribution to PS.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1324403435|3085364 said:
TL, I wasn't suggesting that the OP look for a spinel that looks like chrome pyrope garnet. I already posted my negative opinion of the spinel the OP posted.

I posted Zeolite's thread so the OP is aware of anthill pyrope garnets. I find Zeolite's threads very educational and fun, and his thread makes it clear that his stone is a rare example. I think his threads are a great contribution to PS.

I apologize Pregcurious. Thanks for clarifying, and I do agree 500,000% on what you said about Mr. Zeolite's threads. :bigsmile:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
No problem, TL. I wanted to make sure the OP didn't misunderstand me either and think I was a pyrope garnet champion. I wish I could fine one though like Zeolite's. :love: My red spinel would be jealous.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results