Premium
Re: A hanforging journey - Five-Stone Eight-Prong trellis by

I keep checking to see if you have it!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1324408107|3085418 said:
I keep checking to see if you have it!

Yes! Is it today? Or should we just give up on that dream...

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Obviously you can never please everyone- sorry to anyone who was made uncomfortable by me being involved in an open discussion.
The points raised apply to everyone reading this, no matter who they plan to use for a ring- hopefully readers will get benefit from a rounded discussion.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just got an email to say that it's done! Excited... Nervous... it's judgement day!

Re. RD's involvement - I honestly never thought about it like that, but to clarify: NO, this is not meant to be a commercial for DBL or anything of the sort, I'm just another consumer documenting a long experience that hopefully others can learn something from. I will say that I appreciate the insights he and Mike have provided, some of which I have agreed with and some of which I have not, and I do hope vendor presence hasn't/won't stifle further questions, thoughts, and discussion...

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock

Yssie|1324409981|3085436 said:
I just got an email to say that it's done! Excited... Nervous... it's judgement day!

Re. RD's involvement - I honestly never thought about it like that, but to clarify: NO, this is not meant to be a commercial for DBL or anything of the sort, I'm just another consumer documenting a long experience that hopefully others can learn something from. I will say that I appreciate the insights he and Mike have provided, some of which I have agreed with and some of which I have not, and I do hope vendor presence hasn't/won't stifle further questions, thoughts, and discussion.

What are you waiting for? Get in the car! Take your camera and smart phone so you can upload photos in the car for us! Seriously, does this mean you will have it tomorrow?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't have any problem with RD's involvement in the thread, personally. I think he's been very helpful answering questions that only he can answer.

So exciting that the ring is done!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, it's in!! And it looks good on first glance through the photos, I haven't had a chance to take a good look yet... I'm going to hold off on posting the pics though, because they got the stone orientation wrong.

Apparently there simply isn't a bench on the planet that can orient the dratted thing properly first time round - not WF, Canera, or DBL. No matter how many pictures or descriptions or instructions I give. DBL got closest - they got the stone in the right general direction, and got the "put the prongs on the UGFs" bit right, just, of course, the *wrong* UGFs.

GAH. Well - at least it should be an easy fix... there always has to be *something*, right?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ummm. (whispers sheepishly) What's a "UGF"? :confused:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

UGF = upper girdle facet.

Yssie, can you explain what you mean about how you want the stone set? I never really thought about it. If the prongs cover up certain facets, does the stone look less bright or something? Are the arrows covered by the prongs?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Laila619|1324416262|3085490 said:
UGF = upper girdle facet.

Yssie, can you explain what you mean about how you want the stone set? I never really thought about it. If the prongs cover up certain facets, does the stone look less bright or something? Are the arrows covered by the prongs?

No - nothing like that. My stone is an SI2 and I'm very particular about how the stone is oriented to cover the inclusions. The inclusions fit perfectly under two of the eight prongs.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The suspense is killing me.... :naughty: I can't imagine being you! :tongue:

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Hi Yssie! I haven't commented yet on your thread as I have been waiting for you to post pictures. Regardless I hope you love your new ring...I have found your whole ring process to be very informative and really apprecaite you documenting your journet on PS for us!

NOW POST PICTURES!!!!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm really excited to see your new ring, as well, Yssie! Keeping my fingers crossed that it's everything you've hoped for :)) .

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I know Yssie's got her loupe out, waiting for detailed commentary and hopefully some more pics!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

For #5 comparison point ..

YssieCompare2.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

Wait so the 2.7 (?) in the WF 3 stone was/is a J SI2? I thought I read SI1. Me want. :naughty:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

Yssie, I'll be honest, when you first posted the photo of the new DBL setting, I thought to myself, "Am I a moron? That looks exactly the same as the VC one to me :oops: ". But now that you have pointed out the differences and a few side-by-side photos have been posted, I can see the changes in the DBL ring and I think its definitely an improvement. I hope you are thrilled with it and I can't wait to see pics of this beauty!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mayk :bigsmile:

Sarah - Thank you! I'm really glad to read that - it's been a long, up and down process, and I really hope my threads can help others avoid the same issues.

Pics - I will, I promise! I've asked DBL to do two things:

1. Re-orient the centrestone
2. File the yellow edges, and confirm the red area is polished (and if not polish it, I just can't tell from pics)
Hopefully those are both quick and simple jobs - I can't see why they wouldn't be anyway.

Untitled-1%20copy.png

baby nurse Thank you!! My fingers and toes are crossed. The good part is that seeing it in its final incarnation doesn't come as a complete surprise, so we've done away with a good amount of angsting ;))

Gypsy Definitely!

Thanks Charmy. That's another good pic, though the milgrain on the VC obscures the differences a bit. DBL put milgrain on the very top of the sidestone baskets a la Haven's ring, so it's a bit different.

Danny Yup, it's an SI2! The two main (one more than the other) inclusions are right by the girdle and easy to cover with prongs, and the rest of the stone is clean. It was a good find - and pricier than the other SI2s I was seeing, so there's definitely truth to the market pricing itself theory!

If I had to do it again I'd go lower in colour and drop size, and go up in clarity because when you do orient the prongs to cover the inclusions, the arrows wind up about 1/3 closer to one prong than the other, and that kinda bothers me sometimes!

Star Yeah, the changes are small - but they make a (perhaps surprisingly) big difference in the overall look - the pics Charmy found show it really well. Kinda like w/ Butterflies 1 and 2 - I was really surprised by how much tweaking this a tiny bit and re-orienting that a tinier bit could change the overall look. Thank you!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So apparently it's not so easy to polish and file the underside of the ring after everything's been attached - oops! :halo:

In any case David has confirmed that that area is in fact polished. So now we're just waiting on the stone re-orientation...

On another note - my studs are done too, so it's gonna be a sparkly Christmas/New Years all 'round :bigsmile:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

Yssie said:
So apparently it's not so easy to polish and file the underside of the ring after everything's been attached - oops! :halo:

In any case David has confirmed that that area is in fact polished. So now we're just waiting on the stone re-orientation...

On another note - my studs are done too, so it's gonna be a sparkly Christmas/New Years all 'round :bigsmile:

The 8-prong studs with old-cut stones??? :appl: I can not wait to see these!! :naughty:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yup yup! I can't wait to get them back - I've missed those little darlings. It'll be an eightprongapalooza ::)

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Is it weird that I live a sparkly life vicariously through you, Yssie?! I hope you love everything that's coming to you! I keep checking for pictures. :love:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

THE WAIT IS KILLING MEEEEEEEEEE! I've been quiet and patient up until now. Now, I need to see it!!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ihy, Haven - :bigsmile:

Well I'm jumping the gun on all sorts of things today! The *parts* for the studs are in, but they aren't set yet. So could I request some pre-Christmas-setting dust? And the stone reorientation will apparently have to wait until January, so they're going to ship it out and I'll wear it around until then... works out okay actually, I'll get a chance to make sure everything else is perfect and decide what sort of band I want and have them make it while they have the ring on-hand in January to be sure everything's good together...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ha-RUMPH!

I agree with you, though--this will be a great trial run to wear it in the in-between.

I found a great new place for diamond pictures, BTW. Movie theatre lobbies. They're excellent. They typically have black walls and great big lights all the way up in the high ceilings. I'm going to bring my camera next time we go to a theatre. You should give it a try with your new ring, nudge nudge . . .

Top places for ring photos:
1. Bookstores (big ones like Barnes & Noble)
2. Grocery stores
3. Movie theatre lobbies

Of course, we'll settle for ANY photos of your new beauty! But if you're feeling inspired to make a photo shoot out of it . . . :devil:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Haven|1324510604|3086425 said:
Ha-RUMPH!

I agree with you, though--this will be a great trial run to wear it in the in-between.

I found a great new place for diamond pictures, BTW. Movie theatre lobbies. They're excellent. They typically have black walls and great big lights all the way up in the high ceilings. I'm going to bring my camera next time we go to a theatre. You should give it a try with your new ring, nudge nudge . . .

2. Grocery stores
3. Movie theatre lobbies

Of course, we'll settle for ANY photos of your new beauty! But if you're feeling inspired to make a photo shoot out of it . . . :devil:

But taking videos in grocery stores would be such a copycat move, and I've already copied your milgrain :halo: :bigsmile:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Quietly stalking this thread. I can't wait to see this ring. Also, the Leon Mege trellis is beautiful and has elements that I've never seen before in a trellis setting.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

Yssie, you are killing me! I need photos!!!! :cheeky:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

As they say, it's the highest form of flattery.

I'd like to publicly declare that I encourage ALL PSers to video and photograph their rings in public places and to share them with us on PS. ASAP. PUHLEASE!!!! :bigsmile:

This will not only give us more amazing eye candy, but it will make me feel like less of a crazy person for doing these things, myself.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Haven|1324510604|3086425 said:
Ha-RUMPH!

2. Grocery stores
3. Movie theatre lobbies

Haven - brilliant suggestions.

Yssie - the suspense is killing me.. :shock:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results