shape
carat
color
clarity

How Often Do You Re-Dip ?

STEPHANSON

Shiny_Rock
i was just wondering how often you redip (rodium) your white gold rings. and is dipping them too much bad at all?
i have had my solitaire and eternity band for a year and a half and defiantly see my bands turning goldish.
thanks in advance

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Whenever you can't stand to see the yellowish white gold showing. Or as often as your wallet can stand. Personally I just don't love the yellowish look. I love the silvery white of rhodium plating.

I just had mine done in September and now that spring is here and I've been bad about wearing them gardening over the past few weeks, I can see I need to get them done again. Perhaps this will teach me to leave them off when I'm going to get my hands in the soil!
My jeweler told me that most people get several years out of their plating, with regular wearing.

Hope that helps.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I get mine dipped whenever I take it in to be cleaned. (at least 4 times a year). It is included in my service package, so I never have to pay for Rhodium dipping. Having it dipped alot has never hurt my ring.

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
I have mine done twice a year as I like the "brand new" look. I have them check the claws, etc. at the same time. However, I have found that if you don't clean your rings with amonia based products the rodium lasts much longer.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
I never dip mine. They don't look yellowish but on the other hand they do not have that bright shiny chrome finish. When I resized one of my rings they dipped it without asking and the only visible difference was that the ring was more shiny.

My white gold jewelry looks as white as those in the stores, it could be because most of my pieces are from before the 1950s and my modern things are all 18kt palladium white gold. I am waiting for my e-ring reset which is being done in the US so it will be interesting to see if I notice a difference.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dip them whenever I can't take the wellow look anymore. I wear my rings daily but not at night and that usually means 1x per year for me.

anitabee

Shiny_Rock
i have 3 white gold rings worn every day. one is my wedding band (18 k) from birks. i've never noticed any yellowing since the day i bought it (2001!). i had that one rhodium plated once since then, since i had two others to do - might as well've gotten them all done at once.

anyhoo... the one i got back in '01 has been plated 2X and the other one (got in 2007) once.

the funny thing is that most of the plating goes away on the inner part of the ring and since you can't see it, it doesn't bother me.

also, i take my rings off to shower, sleep, and oftentimes around the house so i'm pretty light on them.

i'm happy with my white gold but as you can read here, depending on the alloy/composition, etc, they all wear differently.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never had to redip; I think different people's skin reacts differently. I don't think it's harmful to do it at all tho.

OCmom3xboys

Shiny_Rock
I've had my 18k wgold eternity band since August 2010 and still looks shinny, no sign of yellow yet. I take it off every night and I do soak it in clear soap and warm water for cleaning every two weeks. But if I put it next to my 18k wgold toe ring (bought in 2007, never took it off since, haven't cleaned it since), the toe ring is not as white and shinny. I think it's time to get my toe ring dipped!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've redipped once in 6 years. The palm sie is yellowed, but the up-side I see is still nice and shiny white! Having the palm a little yellow doesn't bother me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results