shape
carat
color
clarity

my friend is trying to decide betwen 2 RB: a 7ct J Si2 and a 6ct G Si2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/21/2008 6:09:00 PM
Author: bruceb916
Date: 11/20/2008 5:02:59 PM

Author: beau13

Date: 11/20/2008 3:15:49 PM

Author: bgray

i find it hard to proffer advice on questions like this. if i was spending $100,000 on a stone i would rather a fabuluos 3 or 4 carat than a mediocre 7 carat
..it had better come with snow tires, and be a smooth ride!! WOW..that''s the price of a VERY nice vehicle, or a small house!! lol. Best of luck with the decision!!

Where are you buying a house for $100k? Even with the drop in prices, you still need at least 300k to be a area I don''t have to wear body armor just to get the mail.

Here in the upper Midwest, away from the metro areas, you can get a very nice house for 100k or less. And we don''t need body armor either. Last week I actually left the back door open while I was gone all day, so the furnace man could get in and fix our furnace while we were out. He fixed the furnace, left the bill on the dining room table, turned out the lights and locked up when he left. . Was a great place to raise three kids too. We do spend a bit more on gas because we have longer commutes but have always felt it was worth it. No regrets
9.gif

bruceb916

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/21/2008 9:02:00 PM
Author: flowerladytoo

i find it hard to proffer advice on questions like this. if i was spending $100,000 on a stone i would rather a fabuluos 3 or 4 carat than a mediocre 7 carat
..it had better come with snow tires, and be a smooth ride!! WOW..that''s the price of a VERY nice vehicle, or a small house!! lol. Best of luck with the decision!!

Where are you buying a house for $100k? Even with the drop in prices, you still need at least 300k to be a area I don''t have to wear body armor just to get the mail.

Here in the upper Midwest, away from the metro areas, you can get a very nice house for 100k or less. And we don''t need body armor either. Last week I actually left the back door open while I was gone all day, so the furnace man could get in and fix our furnace while we were out. He fixed the furnace, left the bill on the dining room table, turned out the lights and locked up when he left. . Was a great place to raise three kids too. We do spend a bit more on gas because we have longer commutes but have always felt it was worth it. No regrets
9.gif

I LOVE it! Sounds like a dream. Though it was 80 degrees at my house on Sunday......

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back to the issue at hand, my friend's diamond
2.gif
1.gif
:

I just looked again some more at online prices and apparently just for a 4ct G colour VS2 (not F, not VS1), we're looking at $130-150k!!
6.gif

OMG!!

I emailed Jim yesterday but I have a strong suspicion that that 7ct J has *got* to be NOT eye-clean. I am sure Jim will come back and tell me exactly just that.

My friend had better lower her expectations. I think we'd better be looking at a 5 carater, I colour or if she's lucky a H; clarity-wise, Si2, and if she's lucky Si1 (either colour and either clarity - if eye-clean - would still be plenty respectable, IMO). I am going to try and convince her to go for the best cut possible, if I can. I don't want her to have any regrets later on.

She could always upgrade later to a larger stone, right?!!
11.gif
9.gif

Just thought I'd give you the update.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I agree but if I had $100,000 to blow I would probably go car shopping
31.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/22/2008 10:18:28 AM
Author: MMT

I agree but if I had $100,000 to blow I would probably go car shopping
31.gif
Now, that's where we differ: I would *never* spend $100k on a car and neither would my friend, I am sure! We'd much rather have a fabulous diamond than a car, he he.
3.gif
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Yikes...I would get the smaller but better color mainly bc a RB of that size is already a tad tacky imo....a fancy on the other hand
emlove.gif
... definitely go with the G because the J color is really going to show in the 7ct imo...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's mind-boggling how you manage to have an incessant list of expensive projects on which to work! Fun! I'd go with the G. Six is plenty big.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/22/2008 9:56:53 PM
Author: Harriet
It''s mind-boggling how you manage to have an incessant list of expensive projects on which to work! Fun! I''d go with the G. Six is plenty big.
This one would be for my tai tai friend, Harriet.

Also, I''ve already told her that she should be looking at a 5ct, H or I - most likely I.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A quick update: My friend told me today that her husband had bought her the diamond - this is for her 40th birthday. Apparently, it''s a 5carat, G, clarity unknown (by her - at least not yet), triple Excellent, GIA cert.

I must admit I''m a bit bummed out that I was not able to help her. But I am *definitely* pleased for her that finally she''s got the upgraded e-ring that she''s been longing for (her original e-ring is a 2.7ct F VVS).

Will try to get her permission to take pictures of her new e-ring and post them here for you, along with her gigantic earrings, and possibly her other amazing bling.

Thank you to PS''ers for posting and providing your input.

beau13

Ideal_Rock

..it had better come with snow tires, and be a smooth ride!! WOW..that's the price of a VERY nice vehicle, or a small house!! lol. Best of luck with the decision!!

Where are you buying a house for $100k? Even with the drop in prices, you still need at least 300k to be a area I don't have to wear body armor just to get the mail.
Living in Canada has it's advantages!! My house (compared to my friend's in California) is twice the size..but half the price!!
36.gif
I can assure you, the neighbourhood is safe, clean, and a great for my kids. In fact..the neighbourhood kids are always here..and tell me "you have the nicest house!"..Ahhhhhh..no wonder I let them come back to play!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2008 9:14:01 AM
Author: Phoenix
A quick update: My friend told me today that her husband had bought her the diamond - this is for her 40th birthday. Apparently, it''s a 5carat, G, clarity unknown (by her - at least not yet), triple Excellent, GIA cert.

I must admit I''m a bit bummed out that I was not able to help her. But I am *definitely* pleased for her that finally she''s got the upgraded e-ring that she''s been longing for (her original e-ring is a 2.7ct F VVS).

Will try to get her permission to take pictures of her new e-ring and post them here for you, along with her gigantic earrings, and possibly her other amazing bling.

Thank you to PS''ers for posting and providing your input.
Please tell her that I''ll be glad to take her old little stone.
9.gif

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Lientn,

I''m sorry you didn''t get the chance to put all your extensive diamond knowledge into helping your friend find an Ideal stone.....it would have been a fabulous feeling to know that you were "one" to find the diamond for her that everyone was drooling over.

Nonetheless sounds like she got an fabulously HUGE HUGE HUGE stone with a great color and cut to boot.

I''m sure she is very grateful and won''t forget that you spent time and effort trying to help her!

Yes, we would love to see some pictures. Please post so we can start the non-stop drool machine.......a 5ct ''G''...........WOW....WOW

emotion-5.gif

Sparkles

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results