shape
carat
color
clarity

My mom''s rose gold rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
This rose gold gypsy style ring was my mom''s. It was given to her by her oldest sister, who found it on a bus or trolley back in 1915, before my mom was born. She in turn, gave it to my mom when she was 5, back in 1926 or 1927. It''s a beautiful ring, heavy for it''s size, rosier than it appears in the pictures, with ornate green gold leaves at the top of the shank on each side, and these large rose gold ovals on the top. The jeweler told me the middle stone is a moonstone, with two actual diamond chips on each side of the moonstone in the other two ovals. Looking at it magnified though, I wonder about those two diamonds. One is obviously badly chipped, but the other one looks a lot like a tiny rose cut diamond to me when I look at it under magnification.

My mom gave it to my much oldest sister when I was a little girl..and my sister left it in her jewelery box unworn and neglected until the early 1980''s. It didn''t look like much at the time, dark and discolored, and missing the bottom of the shank where the gold from resizing the ring had fallen out and left a gap, many years before. My sister gave it to me around 1981 or 82. I took it to a jeweler who cleaned and reshanked it. Told me it tested 18k, was unusually pretty, and very high quality. He speculated it was probably someone''s wedding ring at one time. When I went to pick it up, I was amazed. It was absolutely gorgeous and didn''t look anything like the sorry little ring I had dropped off! Boy, was my sister upset when she saw what she had given away!
31.gif
I wore it for years, until my knuckles grew too big for it to fit over them anymore. It was my something old at my wedding too, and my younger sister used it in her wedding as her something old, as did both of my own daughters at their weddings last year.

The other rose gold colored ring I am posting here was my mom''s baby ring. She was born in 1921. This ring was also her mom''s baby ring (she was born in 1890). I don''t know if it goes back any further...unfortunately anyone who would have known passed away many years ago. I think it''s probably gold filled. It is a rose gold color The red stones are garnets maybe...or rubies? They are a really pretty red, prettier than the pictures show and very clear. I have no idea what the middle stone is. It''s grayish and I thought it might be a moonstone, or maybe an old gray pearl, but I just can''t tell for sure. It doesn''t look this worn to the naked eye. I was kind of shocked when I saw the pictures, because they magnify every bit of wear. It''s precious to me though because it belonged to my mom and the grandmother I never knew. Just wanted to share these with you all
4.gif
Rose gold is pretty trendy again, but it was trendy about a century ago too!
9.gif

tmtantique1.jpg

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Another view
9.gif

tmtantique2.jpg

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
This one shows the green gold leaf, but unfortunately the detail doesn''t show up well.

tmtantique3.jpg

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Another view in slightly different lighting
1.gif

tmtantique4.jpg

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Another side view.

tmtantique5.jpg

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
The lighting was not good, but this does show some of the detail better
1.gif

tmtantique6.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful old rings! I have an ladies pocket watch in rose gold that belonged to my great-aunt from the early 1900s, so I''ve always thought of rose gold as an older style as well. It has a beautiful soft coloration that causes 14k yellow gold to look rather garish and harsh next to it.

Thanks for sharing.
35.gif

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
The baby ring. Any ideas on what these stones are? The side ones are a bright, clear red in the light, not cloudy. The middle one is grayish or silverish.

momsbabyring.jpg

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Another view of the baby ring.

momsbabyring2.jpg

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Last one

momsbabyring3.jpg

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Oliver had to come see what mommy was doing
9.gif

olliemomsring.jpg

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 10:35:08 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Beautiful old rings! I have an ladies pocket watch in rose gold that belonged to my great-aunt from the early 1900s, so I''ve always thought of rose gold as an older style as well. It has a beautiful soft coloration that causes 14k yellow gold to look rather garish and harsh next to it.

Thanks for sharing.
35.gif

I just love the color of the old rose gold too. It certainly got a lot of attention in the 1980''s when I was wearing mom''s ring. You just didn''t see rose gold then, and the shank was actually repaired in 14k yellow gold. I may have it redone now that rose gold is in vogue again. I want to have it sized to fit over my knuckle again.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are just beautiful, and what wonderful history they both have!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful rings! I love rose gold! Those side stones looks like ruby cabs maybe... and could the center be a diamond cab? Do they even make those...?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I'd bet the first one does have diamond chips, probably something like rose cut or another rough cut. Probably c. late 1800s perhaps a bit earlier; definitely Victorian anyhow.

The second one I'd suspect the red stones to be ruby or synthetic ruby. They look to be free of the brownish look most garnets have. Middle stone, I have no idea without seeing it in person. Could be totally off on the red stones- pics are very hard to judge from.

Could very well be the jewels were meant to stand for someone's initials or a special message: that was very popular in Victorian times. (For example, the "Regards" rings which were Ruby Emerald Garnet Amethyst Ruby Diamond Sapphire).

Very cool! It's neat when families manage to save stuff over the years.

Your kittyboy is super cute. Does he have a freckly nose? (My orange tiger stripey boy has a freckle nose and toes and mouth- it's very silly looking, especially when he yawns!)

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 12:54:06 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
I''d bet the first one does have diamond chips, probably something like rose cut or another rough cut. Probably c. late 1800s perhaps a bit earlier; definitely Victorian anyhow.

The second one I''d suspect the red stones to be ruby or synthetic ruby. They look to be free of the brownish look most garnets have. Middle stone, I have no idea without seeing it in person. Could be totally off on the red stones- pics are very hard to judge from.

Could very well be the jewels were meant to stand for someone''s initials or a special message: that was very popular in Victorian times. (For example, the ''Regards'' rings which were Ruby Emerald Garnet Amethyst Ruby Diamond Sapphire).

Very cool! It''s neat when families manage to save stuff over the years.

Your kittyboy is super cute. Does he have a freckly nose? (My orange tiger stripey boy has a freckle nose and toes and mouth- it''s very silly looking, especially when he yawns!)

I''m so glad I have these from my mom. She was an amazing person, and I miss her soooo much
7.gif

My younger sister has our grandmother''s locket. I need to have her take some pictures of it. I''ve never seen one quite like it. They had amazing jewelry at the turn of the 20th century, that''s for sure!

Oliver has a pink nose with a couple of brown flecks here and there. He is just a big cuddle baby, more like a dog than a cat. We rescued him from a shelter that had a bunch of cats, but he won us over and we''ve never regretted it. I''m sitting in bed with my laptop right now, and he''s sleeping on my feet. Nice footwarmer
9.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
What lovely rings, and even lovelier memories of your mother. They''re beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results