shape
carat
color
clarity

4.79ct Tiffany Lucida

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/12/2007 4:36:07 PM
Author: mrssalvo
and that HW is just my size......
No, it''s my size, he he!!
1.gif
3.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/12/2007 9:01:10 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Yes, it is some major eye-candy alright! But it goes to show, it would be crazy to buy those pieces new.

MrsS...hey, that''ll solve all your problems!
36.gif
Agreed.

And agreed!!
9.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/12/2007 10:49:58 PM
Author: solange
Lien,
If you have established a good rapport with the rep from Skinner,he/she may be able to tell you, when it is closer to the date of the sale, whether your bid is realistic. You can also, at most galleries, give permission to the person who is bidding for you to go up one jump in price against a competitive bidder. You might not want to lose it by a few thousand dollars. If you do this, be sure you ascertain what the bidding increments are before you give permission to do this.
Although it would be unethical for the rep to tell you what the actual bids in the book are, it is to the gallery's advantage to give you an idea of whether your bid is in the ball park. If you are aware that the bidding is going far higher than you want to spend, it might not pay to go to the expense of sending up an appraiser.
Also, keeping in touch with the rep will give assurance that you are a serous bidder ready to go ahead with an expensive purchase and are a good potential client for the future.
The ring sounds great and I do not think a gallery like Skinner would lie about condition.
Thank you so much again, Solange. You've been incredibly helpful. I will do as you suggest and ask Skinner about whether my bids are in the ball park, as it's an excellent idea not to have to spend the money on an appraiser if it's likely to go much more than my maximum amount.

Re the giving permission to the Skinner rep to go up one jump in price, I am sorry to be dense but I am not sure I really understand this. I intend to give Skinner a multiple bid form, up to a maximum, let's say X dollars. Do you mean that if I want to go say one increment (which is USD2,500) above X (if for eg. a competitive bid happens to also be X dollars), then this one increment would ensure that I win the bid against the other bidder (assuming of course that the other bidder's X amount is absolutely his/ her max and they won't go up any higher)?

Thanks so much, Solange.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a silly question here, can I trust that this is truly a Tiffany? (not that I am saying that Skinner will do it intentionally, I am sure they wouldn''t. But would it be possible for them to make a mistake?).

Would an independent appraiser be able to confirm that it is a Tiffany for me?

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, Lien. That is exactly the case. You would be giving the person bidding for you permission to go $2500 above the person bidding against you and if there is no higher bid after yours, it will be yours. But you should discuss with them whether they do this.
As to whether the ring is authentic Tiffany, it most probably is but there are a lot of fakes around and both Sotheby''s and Christy''s have been caught with them. I doubt that this is the case here but I think the only way you can be absolutely certain that a ring is from Tiffany is to buy it there and pay the price.
Does Skinner have an original bill of sale or something from Tiffany describing the stone? If so, it would be unlikely that anyone could duplicate the exact size, shape, color, etc. so you could probably feel safe that it is the real thing. Also, the appraiser would give you extra reassurance.
If you do not get this particular ring, the jewelry for their next jewelry sale has probably already been consigned and they may know of another suitable ring coming up. Also, some galleries do arrange private sales on items that do not met the reserve or under other circumstances.
This is very exciting and you must be very anxious. However, in your price range, you will not have any problem getting a gorgeous ring.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/13/2007 8:42:31 AM
Yes, Lien. That is exactly the case. You would be giving the person bidding for you permission to go $2500 above the person bidding against you and if there is no higher bid after yours, it will be yours. But you should discuss with them whether they do this.
As to whether the ring is authentic Tiffany, it most probably is but there are a lot of fakes around and both Sotheby's and Christy's have been caught with them. I doubt that this is the case here but I think the only way you can be absolutely certain that a ring is from Tiffany is to buy it there and pay the price.
Does Skinner have an original bill of sale or something from Tiffany describing the stone? If so, it would be unlikely that anyone could duplicate the exact size, shape, color, etc. so you could probably feel safe that it is the real thing. Also, the appraiser would give you extra reassurance.
If you do not get this particular ring, the jewelry for their next jewelry sale has probably already been consigned and they may know of another suitable ring coming up. Also, some galleries do arrange private sales on items that do not met the reserve or under other circumstances.
This is very exciting and you must be very anxious. However, in your price range, you will not have any problem getting a gorgeous ring.
Many thanks again, Solange, for yr help.

You're right, I am getting very very anxious. It is sooooo much money and I haven't even seen the ring. Ive been trying to call Marty/ Martin Haske and email Michael Cowing (can't find details for Marty Cowing) and just can't get in touch with them (Marty/ Martin is not answering his office 'phone and I don't have his HP and Michael does not seem to list his no, just an email address). I wonder if I should just go ahead and contact one of the other appraisers in the Boston area.

Skinner sent me an email which more or less says what the lady in their jewellry dept had told me on the 'phone, ie. the setting needs some polishing. They also say that the ring also comes with (this is also in the brochure) a GIA cert dated 2002, a Tiffany cert and a retail replacement valuation dated 2003. I've emailed them back to ask for copies of these.

Anyway, guess what?! The lady I spoke to said they anticipate (though of course they don't know for sure) that they think the ring will sell at the lower end of the estimate, about $50-55k!! and that they anticipate individuals will bid but the trade will not be so interested (which I think is also what Nicrez said). If I can get it for about that price, even with buyer's premium and everythign else, assuming it's a real Tiffany, it'd be a real bargain!! (relatively speaking of course!
2.gif
1.gif
). They also said they will try and bid as low as possible for me.

So assuming I can get an independent appraisal, it's all systems go for me. If I can't get an appraisal, I am not sure what I'll do.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lien, it seems the ring is authentic, so the only concern that I''d have is wanting to be sure the diamond is not chipped in any way. It probably needs to go to Tiffany and soon as it is purchased for a good polishing. But I''d just want someone experienced to look at the stone with a loupe.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2007 8:23:57 AM
Lien, it seems the ring is authentic, so the only concern that I'd have is wanting to be sure the diamond is not chipped in any way. It probably needs to go to Tiffany and soon as it is purchased for a good polishing. But I'd just want someone experienced to look at the stone with a loupe.
Thank you, DS, for your reply and suggestions.

If I can't get hold of either Marty Haske or Michael Cowing, shall I just go ahead and ask one of the other appraisers in the Boston area?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t see any reason not to do that. You don''t even need a full appraisal. You know the diamond would cost far more if purchased new at Tiffany, so any discount will be wonderful! But I''d want them to closely examine the stone to be sure it is in top condition. Once you buy it, you can get a new appraisal from Tiffany for insurance purposes.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2007 8:36:22 AM
I don''t see any reason not to do that. You don''t even need a full appraisal. You know the diamond would cost far more if purchased new at Tiffany, so any discount will be wonderful! But I''d want them to closely examine the stone to be sure it is in top condition. Once you buy it, you can get a new appraisal from Tiffany for insurance purposes.
Thank you, DS. Yes, I''ve checked out prices at our local Tiffany''s and the prices there would make anyone blush!

I agree. I do absolutely want to know 1) the condition of the stone, ie. whether it has any chip or scratches and 2) whether it is an authentic Tiffany.

And it didn''t even occur to me to get an new appraisal from Tiffany (if I manage to get ma paws on this beauty
1.gif
). Thanks for that and for all your help too.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooo, I''ve set the wheel in motion....

I''ve requested Mr Arthur DeMello to go to Skinner on Monday morning (the earliest he could make it) to appraise the ring for me!! YAY!!
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2007 11:26:57 AM
Author: lienTN
Soooo, I''ve set the wheel in motion....

I''ve requested Mr Arthur DeMello to go to Skinner on Monday morning (the earliest he could make it) to appraise the ring for me!! YAY!!
36.gif
36.gif
That is very exciting! I think this will be an educational experience for all of us! If it works out well for you, perhaps others of us might try the auction route. I know I certainly could access some things there that I could never buy new retail.

SpeedracerII

Rough_Rock
In case you are interested, this is the on-line version of the GIA cert...
-----------------------------------------------------------

Report Type: GIA Diamond Grading Report

Date of Issue: January 14, 2002

Cut-Cornered Square Mixed Cut

Measurements: 9.79 x 9.74 x 6.77 mm

Carat Weight: 4.79

Color Grade: H

Clarity Grade: VVS1

Proportions:

Depth: 69.5 %

Table: 60 %

Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick

Culet: Very Small

Finish:

Polish: Good

Symmetry: Very Good

Fluorescence: None

Comments: "LUCIDA™" is a trademark of Tiffany & Co.
Additional Inscription: LUCIDA?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, DS and Speedracer.

I wonder if I should ask for the full appraisal report from Arthur deMello. What I've asked him for is an informal report but it already costs $475 (or something like that, if my memory serves me right), whereas the full appraisal report is over $600. I wonder if I should ask for a full report anyway, as it would give me extra assurance (I think?) as far as recourse if something turned out to be wrong (for eg. if it turned out not to an authentic Tiffany)?

Speedracer, thanks for that. Is that from GIA website? I wonder what the additional inscription of "LUCIDA?" means (?). The question mark worries me.

Any thought?

ETA: I will ask Skinner and Arthur about the additional inscription but am still interested as to what you guys think.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lien, I don''t think authenticity is an issue. This is a patented Tiffany cut. Even if it weren''t Tiffany, the diamond would still be worth what you''d be paying, more than likely. I think I recall that this stone comes with some paperwork already verifying that it is Tiffany. To me, the only thing you need the appraiser for is to verify the condition of the ring and stone. So I guess it is up to you whether you want the "full" appraisal. Perhaps if you did get it, then you could decide whether to use that appraisal value versus the Tiffany appraisal value for your insurance. I wouldn''t want to overpay for insurance, so it might be good to have two values to choose from.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/16/2007 1:16:35 PM
Lien, I don''t think authenticity is an issue. This is a patented Tiffany cut. Even if it weren''t Tiffany, the diamond would still be worth what you''d be paying, more than likely. I think I recall that this stone comes with some paperwork already verifying that it is Tiffany. To me, the only thing you need the appraiser for is to verify the condition of the ring and stone. So I guess it is up to you whether you want the ''full'' appraisal. Perhaps if you did get it, then you could decide whether to use that appraisal value versus the Tiffany appraisal value for your insurance. I wouldn''t want to overpay for insurance, so it might be good to have two values to choose from.
Thank you, DS. I think I will go ahead and ask Arthur to do a full appraisal eventually but for the time being, I will just ask him to let me know re the condition of the ring and stone. I agree, I do not want to overpay for insurance, God knows, we already pay far too much for alll our insurance already.

I am sooooooo excited, I can''t tell you!!
1.gif
. I ''ve always always wanted a Lucida and this is my chance to own one (if I succeed), at a price much lower than the "official" Tiffany price!! Wish me luck!!
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2007 9:45:11 AM

1.gif
. I ''ve always always wanted a Lucida and this is my chance to own one (if I succeed), at a price much lower than the ''official'' Tiffany price!! Wish me luck!!
1.gif
I bet!!! I wish you much luck Lien!
cheerleader1.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/17/2007 9:53:19 AM
Author: Ellen

1.gif
. I ''ve always always wanted a Lucida and this is my chance to own one (if I succeed), at a price much lower than the ''official'' Tiffany price!! Wish me luck!!
1.gif
cheerleader1.gif

Thank you so much, Ellen!!
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/17/2007 10:09:15 AM

I am sooooooo excited, I can't tell you!!
1.gif
. I 've always always wanted a Lucida and this is my chance to own one (if I succeed), at a price much lower than the 'official' Tiffany price!! Wish me luck!!
1.gif

1.gif
I really hope you get it and wish you luck too!!
cheerleader1.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/17/2007 10:11:21 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 9/17/2007 10:09:15 AM

1.gif
1.gif

1.gif
I really hope you get it and wish you luck too!!
cheerleader1.gif
Thank you so much, too, Lorelei! Yay!!
1.gif

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Best of luck, Lien. I hope you get it.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Well, I just had to come out of hiding to say:
23.gif
OMG!!!!
23.gif

I''m so excited for you, Lien!!!!! I''ll have all my toes and fingers crossed for you tomorrow!!!

widget

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I am so excited!!! I can''t wait to hear if you win this one. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

shay

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am crossing my fingers and toes that you get the beautiful Lucida!!!! Keep us posted.
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

SpeedracerII

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/16/2007 11:29:37 AM

I wonder if I should ask for the full appraisal report from Arthur deMello. What I''ve asked him for is an informal report but it already costs $475 (or something like that, if my memory serves me right), whereas the full appraisal report is over $600. I wonder if I should ask for a full report anyway, as it would give me extra assurance (I think?) as far as recourse if something turned out to be wrong (for eg. if it turned out not to an authentic Tiffany)?

Speedracer, thanks for that. Is that from GIA website? I wonder what the additional inscription of ''LUCIDA?'' means (?). The question mark worries me.

Any thought?

ETA: I will ask Skinner and Arthur about the additional inscription but am still interested as to what you guys think.
Yes it is from the GIA web site, and with the GIA cert # and the ct weight of the stone you can look it up. I forget the exact page. I suspect the "?" might be just a font issue. It appears the inscription is followed by the little ''tm'' for trademark, but perhaps the web page doesn''t have that ''tm'' symbol and substitutes a ''?'' instead. Just a guess. It seems pretty authentic or a VERY elaborate fake!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/17/2007 12:21:31 PM
Best of luck, Lien. I hope you get it.
Thank you so much, Solange, for this and for everything else. You've been a tremendous help. I am not sure I'd put in a bid if it weren't for you (I was so clueless about auctions, still am but not as bad as before
1.gif
).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/17/2007 2:20:33 PM
Author: widget
Well, I just had to come out of hiding to say:
23.gif
OMG!!!!
23.gif

I''m so excited for you, Lien!!!!! I''ll have all my toes and fingers crossed for you tomorrow!!!

widget
Where have you been, Widget? I''ve missed you!

Thank you so much for crossing yr toes and fingers for me! I am veeeerryyyyy nervous!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/17/2007 6:42:22 PM
Author: Shay37
I am so excited!!! I can''t wait to hear if you win this one. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

shay
Thank you so much, Shay! I am so excited and nervous at the same time. I will definitely keep you all posted!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/17/2007 7:03:55 PM
Author: Skippy123
I am crossing my fingers and toes that you get the beautiful Lucida!!!! Keep us posted.
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Thank you, Skippy, that''s so sweet of you!
1.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/18/2007 5:35:52 AM
Author: SpeedracerII

Date: 9/16/2007 11:29:37 AM

I wonder if I should ask for the full appraisal report from Arthur deMello. What I''ve asked him for is an informal report but it already costs $475 (or something like that, if my memory serves me right), whereas the full appraisal report is over $600. I wonder if I should ask for a full report anyway, as it would give me extra assurance (I think?) as far as recourse if something turned out to be wrong (for eg. if it turned out not to an authentic Tiffany)?

Speedracer, thanks for that. Is that from GIA website? I wonder what the additional inscription of ''LUCIDA?'' means (?). The question mark worries me.

Any thought?

Yes it is from the GIA web site, and with the GIA cert # and the ct weight of the stone you can look it up. I forget the exact page. I suspect the ''?'' might be just a font issue. It appears the inscription is followed by the little ''tm'' for trademark, but perhaps the web page doesn''t have that ''tm'' symbol and substitutes a ''?'' instead. Just a guess. It seems pretty authentic or a VERY elaborate fake!
Thanks for that, Speedracer. I am such an idiot!
9.gif
. I realised after having looked up the report that the "?" is actually, as you quite rightly said, the little "TM".

I am pretty confident that it is authentic. They''ve sent me copies of all the paperwork, except for the original purchase receipt which they don''t have themselves.

I''ve also had Arthur deMello do a full appraisal and he says that everything checks out. He also says interestingly enough that the people at Skinner seemed pretty excited about my interest in this ring (I hope he doesn''t mind my quoting him!). Hhmm...

I am going to go ahead and put in a bid now.

Should hear whether or not I''ve won the bid by Tuesday afternoon Boston time!!! yay!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results