shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice, good looking rock??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

petah

Rough_Rock

Hello All,

I have been researching and reading up for the past litt while on knowledge regarding daimonds. Firstly, i have to thank this site for some pretty good information. Now on with my question...I have been in the market for a engagement ring and have came to conclusion on the following stone. Can you guys give me some advice on it? Below are the specs.

Price: $7,204
Carat weight: 1.14
Cut: Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 62.0%
Table %: 55%
Crown Angle: 35.0 degrees
Pavilion Angle: 40.8 degrees
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.70 x 6.72 x 4.16 mm

HCA gave it a score of 1.6 ex, ex, ex, vg. All the specs shows that this is going to be a good looking rock. Daimond is graded by GIA. Thanks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks pretty good. Does the stone come with any Idealscope pictures?

petah

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 9:06:46 AM
Author: Chrono
It looks pretty good. Does the stone come with any Idealscope pictures?
Unfortunately, it does not. I called and asked and they said they don''t have one on file.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS! Looks potentially very nice, an Idealscope image would be good to confirm.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, then the stone isn''t an in-house stone. Can the vendor call the stone in to take an Idealscope picture? I''m thinking the stone is more than likely to check out fine, but for a purchase that costs a few thousand, I''d prefer to confirm that with the IS picture.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As they don't have one on file, look at some in house diamonds which more or likely will have some cut info available, or take a chance if the vendor has a good return policy, it depends on your comfort level and what else you find available. An Idealscope image isn't an essential, it is something we normally always recommend to back up numbers of an unseen diamond, but this diamond on paper looks to be a possible choice by the numbers anyway.

petah

Rough_Rock
I found this rock on bluenile. They say they never offer any ideal scope with their rocks. I have asked for a IS image to be taken but unfortunately, they do not do this. I am comfortable with the purchase, i just wanted opinions from the more experienced.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BN has a great return policy, going by the info it should be a good looking diamond, if not you have 30 days to return it. Have you seen any others you are interested in?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, BN does not do IS pictures. If you are comfortable with that (plus I think BN has a 30 day return policy), I''m thinking the stone is probably going to check out all right.

petah

Rough_Rock
I see others that are of interest. But this seem to be the best value candiate thus far.

Keep the advice/opinions coming....this is a big purchase so i will like to hear everything.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My only question is, have you seen enough really well cut diamonds to know if this one is?

petah

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 9:28:03 AM
Author: Ellen
My only question is, have you seen enough really well cut diamonds to know if this one is?
No, i have no experience with diamonds. Everything i know thus far, is from reading on the net. I have seen some diamonds, but not enough to distinguish them. All i know it if they should be really shiny!
25.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 9:30:54 AM
Author: petah

Date: 8/1/2007 9:28:03 AM
No, i have no experience with diamonds. Everything i know thus far, is from reading on the net. I have seen some diamonds, but not enough to distinguish them. All i know it if they should be really shiny!
25.gif
Ok. Then I would suggest this one instead. It''s from their Signature Collection, and it''s an AGS0, which will insure you get a good stone.
2.gif

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&track=btntext_select&elem=img&pid=LD00997048&filter_id=0

petah

Rough_Rock

dunndeal

Rough_Rock
Hi Petah,

This is probably going to be a dynamite looking diamond. If you wanted to split hairs you probably could drop the depth percentage down a couple of points and aim for a thin to medium girdle to maximize size. The cut grade would not be affected negatively. The only reason I''m suggesting this is because there should be quite a few diamonds to choose from in that size range and color and clarity combo. Again, this is only because we are splitting hairs!

Happy Hunting,

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/1/2007 9:37:31 AM

Date: 8/1/2007 9:33:50 AM
Ok. Then I would suggest this one instead. It''s from their Signature Collection, and it''s an AGS0, which will insure you get a good stone.
2.gif

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&track=btntext_select&elem=img&pid=LD00997048&filter_id=0
Wouldn''t their signature collection be the ''signature ideal'' cut? And sorry, what is AGS0? I know it''s a appraisal standard.....is this better than GIA?
AGS is a lab that does diamond certification, very much like GIA but they also grade their diamonds based on light performance using the ASET. So, since BN does not take Idealscope pictures, another way to assure yourself of getting a great stone is to purchase a diamond that is certed by AGS and given the light performance rating of AGS0.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 9:37:31 AM

Wouldn''t their signature collection be the ''signature ideal'' cut? And sorry, what is AGS0? I know it''s a appraisal standard.....is this better than GIA?
I''m not quite understanding your first question...

As to AGS, they have started grading on the light performance of stones. That means there is not so much guess work to them as there can be on GIA stones. Both are well respected labs, and there are many GIA EX cut stones out there, I own one. But they round their numbers, so we don''t truly know what they are on this stone. It could be really pretty, or not. And we have no way of knowing.

When I''m dropping thousands of dollars on a stone online, I want some assurance. There really isn''t any with the GIA stone, but there is with the AGS.

And since you don''t know what to look for (no offense meant at all), I would prefer to see you take the safer route.
1.gif

petah

Rough_Rock
Understood perfectly! Thanks for the explaination. In that case, i will look into ASG appraised ones a little more. And i guess i just don''t know what you mean by "signature" series.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 10:22:15 AM
Understood perfectly! Thanks for the explaination. In that case, i will look into ASG appraised ones a little more. And i guess i just don't know what you mean by 'signature' series.
Great!

Gotcha. Here you go, it's a section of diamonds within their whole collection, the better cut diamonds.
28.gif

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond_signature.asp?track=56

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results