LIW Bootcamp

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/29/2009 2:02:27 PM
Author: Rock_of_Love

Date: 8/27/2009 3:27:07 PM
Author: shertz1981
Hehe, I ordered the glider discs!!!
So did I!! Just after I posted, I decided to order. I thought you could buy them in stores, but I guess you can''t. I''m gonna start Winsor Pilates on Monday or Tuesday...then start Gliding when I get the discs!!
I''m going to start Shred tonight -- was way too tired after travelling yesterday -- and hallelujah, it''s cool enough to do the 2.5 mile walk to work!

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
Well i just wanted to share my story...

One year ago today was the day I decided to change my life. I joined a fitness class, and changed the way I eat.

That was 40 pounds ago!!!

I still have a little bit more to go... about 20 pounds which I hope to get off my the end of the year...

I''m just so very excited that I''ve lost weight and kept if off for a year so far... and like the experts say the longer it takes to "take it off" the more likely it''ll stay off...

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats to you!! That is awesome!! I''m so hoping I can accomplish this.

Any advice looking back over the year? What were the main food things you changed? Were you always consistent? Did you have slip-ups? What kept you going / motivated?

BTW - didn''t start pilates yet, but keeping up on my daily 30-40 min walk/run/hills! I think I''ll start tonight! Also, didn''t start the cleanse yet - I think I''ll wait another week or two.

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/2/2009 12:07:29 PM
Author: Rock_of_Love
Congrats to you!! That is awesome!! I''m so hoping I can accomplish this.

Any advice looking back over the year? What were the main food things you changed? Were you always consistent? Did you have slip-ups? What kept you going / motivated?

BTW - didn''t start pilates yet, but keeping up on my daily 30-40 min walk/run/hills! I think I''ll start tonight! Also, didn''t start the cleanse yet - I think I''ll wait another week or two.
I did a brave thing, I paid $200.00 every eight weeks for a boot camp type exercise program that was 2 times a week, for 1 hour (typical class I would burn 600-800 calories, depending on what sort of exercise we did). At first that''s all I did, then I slowly added my own exercising, using my elliptical, Wii Fit, Wii Jillian Michael''s, and running with a friend.

I really recommend this type of program... First - it was so costly that I wanted to go and get all my moneys worth!!! second, they had a Biggest Loser Challenge, who ever in the class lost the most percent of weight got a free 8 weeks... so this motivated me to work really hard so I would have to pay for the next session (I won my first session and got my second free!!!)

Also, when I didn''t feel like exercising, I didn''t, I just made a promise to myself that I would never be above a certain weight again... I also gave myself personal goals, and I rewarded myself for reaching them... Say i wanted to buy a new pair of jeans... I only let myself buy a new pair if I hit a certain weight by a certain day... if I didn''t make it to my weight goal I took something away... like the TV, until I made the goal I wanted.

my change in food choices slipped up and that''s what I had most of my battles with (I LOVE FOOD).

basicaly...
-no soda (not even diet),
-or any drinks that have calories, so pretty much drink water, tea and black coffee... every once in a while I''ll have a glass of fat free milk or a white mocha from star bucks (not usually more than 1 every one or two months).
-no candy, but I did allow myself to eat dark chocolate
-no ice cream - this was the hardest!

and when I did slip up on my food choice I tried to work harder at the gym or pushed myself to run a faster mile...

Hope this helps... and good luck!!!

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
My gliding discs are coming today!!! I can''t wait to try them out tonight!!!!

ILS, mazel tov! I have about 40 to go, and it''s hard.

Does anyone else cook -- we could do a recipe thread, maybe, to complement this one?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE to cook. Some easy prep stuff. Some challenging. I like to make it as healthy as possible but won''t eat anything I don''t like. My theory is that if I''m going to eat it, I''m going to like it. If I don''t like it I won''t eat it.
I love chocolate and sweets. I''ve been modifying recipes to make them healthier. (that way I can have a yummy reward that is still delicious)

I''ve been using tofu (if done right it isn''t spongy and flavorless) and more fruits & veggies.

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
LOL, I love tofu but hate the dry fry ... and mine never comes out decently unless I do it.

This is an awesome dessert recipe, courtesy of my Weight Watchers leader:

Mix one box of angel food cake mix with one 15-oz can of crushed pineapple *in its own juice*

Bake in a loaf or a cake pan according to the box instructions.

It''s sooo good -- and you can puree it if you don''t want little chunks of pineapple in it

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dry fry never works out for me. I''ve been starting with an extra firm tofu and then squeezing as much additional moisture out as I can manage. Then cut into bite size chunks. After that I use a soybean oil and actually deep fry the tofu. Once it has cooled a bit I marinate it in just a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce & ginger while I prepare the veggies.

The texture is great. The flavor is good. In fact it was so good that FF (future fiance? -- new here, still learning) asked for it again the next day. And the next. We ate tofu & veggies 3 days in a row. By the end of the week he had lost a little over 3 pounds.

My basic recipe is:
1 onion sliced
3-4 inch chunk of ginger sliced into thin rounds
3-4 cloves garlic crushed
1 red pepper large diced or sliced
1 pound tofu (prepared as described above)
1 pound or so broccoli cut into biggish chunks (like you''d get at a Chinese take out place, maybe a little bigger)
1 pound or so sugar pea pods
5-6 scallions cut into 3rds
handful of bean sprouts

Cook onion until a little soft. Toss in ginger. Cook until a little crispy and beginning to turn golden. Add garlic. Cook until garlic begins to turn color. Toss in the pepper. Cook for just a minute and then add broccoli. Just as brocolli begins to soften add tofu. Let cook for a minute and then add whatever sauce you want. Cook another minute and add pea pods. When those have just warmed through and the sauce has thickened some, add the scallions. Cook another minute and add bean sprouts. Cook just long enough to heat.

Cook over medium-high heat until the garlic browns and then turn it up to high. I use a really big (14"?) skillet but a wok would work better.

The usuall sauces for this would be a kung pao or black bean sauce. Or a soy sauce based thing. They have a lot of flavor (and a lot of sodium) so it only takes a little of the sauce.
For presentation I serve with a plain white rice. (not that anyone can eat it with all the veggies that I serve)

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
YUM!

I''m definitely going to try that next week -- sounds less annoying than dry frying, marinating, and then cooking. (Although my teriyaki-soy-orange juice marinade is pretty yummy.)

Do you ever cook with water chestnuts? I love their crunch! I eat them raw, too, although that''s kind of gross.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sometimes toss some in for variety and crunch. Another option to add is bamboo shoots.

Teriyaki -soy-orange juice? Sounds yummy. And much healthier than some of the alternatives.

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
Or canned whole baby corn!!!

Man -- I love stir fry -- but can''t have it tonight -- weigh-in tomorrow and I''m already up by a bajillion pounds

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my favorite things to use to make recipes healthier is applesauce. I prefer to make my own, but the unsweetened stuff from the store is okay too.

It works great in breads & cakes. I do an almost straight across substitute for liquids. (1 cup milk & 1 cup butter become 3/4cup applesauce, 1/4 cup milk/soy, & 1/4 to 1/2 cup butter). Since the applesauce is a natural sweetener I cut the sugar in half (at least).

My favorite applesauce baked stuff:
banana bread
apple spice cake
carrot cake

CheshireSmile

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 9:34:59 AM

Does anyone else cook -- we could do a recipe thread, maybe, to complement this one?

Do you like them? I had been wondering about these, do they have to be used on carpet?

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 3:30:05 PM
Author: CheshireSmile

Do you like them? I had been wondering about these, do they have to be used on carpet?

Love them, but I need a bigger mat b/c they need to be used on carpet.

So I might get a cheapo area rug from Walmart or Target

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek.

I''m at 137.4

I know weight fluctuates within a couple of pounds. Even during a single day. (amazing how much just water can weigh -- get on the scale, then go drink a couple of glasses of water and get back on)

2 days ago I saw a number I told myself I''d never see again. 140.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One hour to work out feels like a lot to me. Not so much physically, but mentally. I''ve always got something else that NEEDS to get done and I have a hard time getting myself to start.

Rather than aiming high and not starting, I''m going to do 15 minutes at least 5 times a week. (not counting cleaning or chasing cats up and down the stairs)

Once I can do 15 minute 5 times a week, I will increase to 20 minutes.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 8:22:12 PM

Date: 9/9/2009 3:30:05 PM
Author: CheshireSmile

Love them, but I need a bigger mat b/c they need to be used on carpet.

So I might get a cheapo area rug from Walmart or Target
The kit my friend received has two sets - one for carpet and one for hard floors. I only received the ones for carpet. I wonder if there was something I needed to select when checking out.

Haven''t started ''em yet...had guests in town for a week and it really threw me off my routine!!

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
So I am dragging my slacker butt to Weight Watchers on Sat, right before another bout of ring shopping.

It''s *possible* I''ll hit my 10% this week (10% of total body weight lost)! :)

I haven''t been in three weeks and am sooooooooo nervous

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock
Hi Guys,

A little about me,only about 3 years ago I was the workout queen 6 days a week sometimes twice a day,I was almost all muscle and loved being at the gym.I got off track with moving and just stopped and never started again (I even ate crazy healthy.) I think I burnt out from years of all that stuff,but I''ve gained quite a few pounds and am ready to be the shapely girl I once was.I''m not fat,just jiggly and not what I want to be.I''m now going to try and have a regimen that can work for me without burning me out.

Current Weight:165lbs
Height: 5''7"
Goal Weight:130lbs (quite daunting)
Daily goal: Cardio 30minutes and portion controlling my food (half as much)

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
can i join too?

i am soooooo lazy.

and i love food
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

FF has gone out jogging but i''m inside eating jellybeans.

somebody spank me!!!

25.gif

babycush

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I recently hopped on the "fit wagon" also! So far so good. I''ve lost 5 pounds over the last 5 weeks. Mostly, I''ve been using Wii Fit and going to a tap dance class once a week. Also, I am using the iPhone (free!) app "Lost It", which uses your current weight to calculate daily calories you need based on how much weight you want to lose per week. It gives you an estimated date that you will reach your goal based on this. You then keep a log of your food and exercise every day. I am completely addicted to it!

Height 5''9"
Starting weight 181
Current weight 176
Goal weight 160

RoxEHeart

Rough_Rock
I''m going to recommend a great weight loss website...sorry if it''s been mentioned before. It''s www.sparkpeople.com . It is a wonderful FREE website that has helped me lose weight! I started on July 13, 2009 and to date I have lost 41.5 pounds!

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
It is so comforting to know I am not the only one in this boat. I am BRAND NEW to pricescope and have already found so much in common with others.

Current weight: 200
Goal weight: 150

My concern is health and "the way clothes fit," rather than a specific number or "being skinny." (I''d love to get rid of the lumps and bumps!)
Growing up, my weight fluctuated. I was chubby as a child and got TOO skinny as I matured. In high school, I was athletic, but TOO skinny and wasn''t healthy. I just graduated from college and my weight is at an all-time high. The past few years, I have been a student and working and making time for everything except exercise and eating right! I have a 13 month old black lab and specifically picked an athletic breed so I would have some motivation to get moving. Unfortunately, the dog is a couch potato and hates going for walks/runs.

I don''t have a ring on my finger yet, but we''re intending to get married in June 2011. I need to get going on my weight loss goals so I can think about trying on wedding dresses!

I can''t wait to hear about other women''s successes!

MermaidKelly

Shiny_Rock
Ok....I''ve been hemming and hawing on whether or not to post in this thread, but BF and I have been talking, and we want to work on losing weight together. I figured, why not post! Maybe some support would help...

Current Weight - 195
Goal Weight - 170

We like to go for walks but we also want to try going to a gym together. I have Wii Fit but don''t use it much. Maybe I should work on doing that more too.

babycush

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yay MermaidKelly! Work that WiiFit!

Update:
Starting weight: 181
Current weight: 171

WOOHOO!! I''m quite proud of myself. I had a minor setback in January when my grandmother passed away, but I''m back on track now and officially down 10 lbs.

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
hi ladies!!! i am no longer a LIW but a BIW, but would love to join this thread if possible :)

so here''s my story:

recently i discovered that i gained about 10lbs and didn''t even notice it! i''ve been driving 2 hrs a day to work and home, and my work mostly involves sitting on my butt all day. i had little motivation to exercise esp investing ~10hrs/day working and commuting. i used to exercise pretty regularly and was a recreational jogger. But my feet are extremely flat and pronated, so i''ve decided to take a break from running and focus on lower-impact exercises.

i''m also afraid of the scale and never let my fiance put a scale in the house.

but, finally, i woke up and decided it''s time to make a change! i weighed myself this morning and clocked in at 175.6 (i''m 5''6" and am between a size 10 and 12 US). i''m getting married next July, and my goal is to get down to 150lbs in three months (before my gym membership expires and I move again for school). one of my best friends and i started a motivation program. we go to the gym together every day after work, and help motivate each other if we are particularly tired or feeling lazy. our motivation is that when we BOTH meet our weight loss goals, we get to go on a shopping spree for more clothes! my weight loss goal is slightly more than hers, so i''m trying to work extra hard!

i''m also working on improving my diet - snacking less, eating more veggies, cutting down on portion sizes, and reducing my sweet tooth indulgences :)

i thought i would share my exercise plan if anybody else wants to use it. it''s been working GREAT so far, and we''ve been to the gym 5 days/week for 2 weeks now, and still going strong! my friend has lost 5 pounds already, and i hope to lose a couple pounds by next week!

i had a question for everyone: i''ve read in a lot of magazines that your body will eventually "get used" to a constant exercise routine and weight loss progression will stop... has anyone experienced this? i''ve been doing the same routine since i started trying to lose weight, but i''m wondering if i should try to switch it up sometimes. i''m also not sure how often i should switch exercises and how many i should rotate... am i thinking too much? i used to think exercise was exercise but i guess i could be wrong?!

sorry this got long! in summary:

height: 5''6"
current weight: 176.5
goal weight: 150

babycush

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/27/2010 12:16:39 AM
Author: sweetpea&babycorn
i had a question for everyone: i''ve read in a lot of magazines that your body will eventually ''get used'' to a constant exercise routine and weight loss progression will stop... has anyone experienced this? i''ve been doing the same routine since i started trying to lose weight, but i''m wondering if i should try to switch it up sometimes. i''m also not sure how often i should switch exercises and how many i should rotate... am i thinking too much? i used to think exercise was exercise but i guess i could be wrong?!

I think it''s less that your body gets used to the routine, and more that you just have more weight to lose when you are heavier. Doing the same exercises when you are at 175 will go a lot further in terms of weight loss than when you are at 150. The lighter you are, the harder you have to push yourself and the fewer calories you have to eat.

I''m not sure if you read my post above, but I have been using the iPhone app "Lose It" with great success. It tailors your daily calorie intake based on your current weight and the amount you want to lose per week, regardless of what your goal weight is. It tapers you down in terms of calorie intake so that you are eating the appropriate amount.

Also a weight update:
Currently 168.5 lbs! Lost 12.5 lbs so far.
36.gif
7.5 to go!!

SAPHIRINA

Rough_Rock
Hi,everyone! May I join the Bootcamp?
1.gif

I am new to posting, but have been lurking for a few weeks. I got engaged on 01.31.10 and our wedding date is 10.28.10. I''ve been avoiding looking at dresses because I''m just not happy with my current size and weight. But, the wedding is not that far off and I really need to start working on weight loss, if I want to wear the dress I dream of. My current weight is 172lbs (so difficult to admit, even on an anonymous forum!). My ultimate goal weight is 125lbs, but realistically, I will not be able to accomplish that by October. So, wedding goal is 140 lbs.

My short term goals are basically to keep doing what I''m doing now - eat well, keep hydrated and get in as much physical activity as I can. Avoiding sweets would help tremendously, too - I have a huge sweet tooth!

Here are my current stats:

Height - 5''4"
Weight - 172 lbs
Size - 12

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2010 9:05:39 PM
Author: babycush
Date: 3/27/2010 12:16:39 AM

i had a question for everyone: i''ve read in a lot of magazines that your body will eventually ''get used'' to a constant exercise routine and weight loss progression will stop... has anyone experienced this? i''ve been doing the same routine since i started trying to lose weight, but i''m wondering if i should try to switch it up sometimes. i''m also not sure how often i should switch exercises and how many i should rotate... am i thinking too much? i used to think exercise was exercise but i guess i could be wrong?!

I think it''s less that your body gets used to the routine, and more that you just have more weight to lose when you are heavier. Doing the same exercises when you are at 175 will go a lot further in terms of weight loss than when you are at 150. The lighter you are, the harder you have to push yourself and the fewer calories you have to eat.

I''m not sure if you read my post above, but I have been using the iPhone app ''Lose It'' with great success. It tailors your daily calorie intake based on your current weight and the amount you want to lose per week, regardless of what your goal weight is. It tapers you down in terms of calorie intake so that you are eating the appropriate amount.

Also a weight update:

Currently 168.5 lbs! Lost 12.5 lbs so far.
36.gif
7.5 to go!!

thanks babycush for the advice. congratulations on the weight loss! you''ll definitely serve as an inspiration for me. when i first started exercising and being better at what i eat, the thought of losing 25 pounds has been overwhelming, but i read these stories and know that it''s possible!

i''ve been weighing myself every friday and last friday i had lost 3lbs in one week :D i''m not sure what this week''s reading will be since we had a pretty big easter meal but im getting back on track :D

saphirina - welcome! i definitely think it''s possible to lose 30 pounds in 6 months. this timeline will allow you to lose a little over a pound every week, which is a great goal! i bet you''ll lose more than your goal esp if you keep on your exercise and diet plan :D

SAPHIRINA

Rough_Rock
saphirina - welcome! i definitely think it''s possible to lose 30 pounds in 6 months. this timeline will allow you to lose a little over a pound every week, which is a great goal! i bet you''ll lose more than your goal esp if you keep on your exercise and diet plan :D

Thank you for the welcome! I, too, figured that making my goal to lose 30 pounds in 6 months is reasonable and relatively stress-free. If I lose more, that''s going to be a great bonus, but I''m not going to be disappointed if I don''t. I lost 100 pounds in the past (and kept it off), so I know that with work and effort it can be done. Next weigh-in is on Thursday!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results