shape
carat
color
clarity

An interesting turn of events

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
blacksand said:
Yeah…I just brought it home late last night, so I haven’t had a chance to clean it up just yet! I don’t think it has been worn in a very long time, so I doubt it’s been cleaned, either. Is dish soap and a toothbrush the recommended regimen?

I suspect that when it was worn regularly it was not cleaned, as most people never clean their rings 8) , so you might want to take it to a pro to have it steamed. But you can do wonders at home. In a cup, pour boiling water, a few drops dish soap, and a few squirts of windex (or similar). Then plop the ring in and let it soak for a good long while. Then pull it out and use a baby toothbruch (because it is soft) to give it a good scrub, angling under the setting to get the pavilion and rinse it off. Then make a new batch of cleaning solution and repeat the process. It will look totally different to your eye, I promise!

Generally, you want to do this process at least every couple days when you wear a ring regularly to keep the diamond clean and thus sparkling.

BTW have you seen singlestone settings? I would get one from them myself.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. Diamond cleaning party tonight!

Re. my ring size: the sad reality is I don't even know. Can you tell I'm not used to having nice jewelry? I think the last time I was sized (for a class ring) I think they said 6.5, but that sounds kind of big to me (?), so I don't know. I'm going to have to figure that out before I purchase a setting!

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
You are one lucky duck! That sucker looks like it would sparkle from a mile away. Make sure to post clean pics too!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blacksand said:
Yeah…I just brought it home late last night, so I haven’t had a chance to clean it up just yet! I don’t think it has been worn in a very long time, so I doubt it’s been cleaned, either. Is dish soap and a toothbrush the recommended regimen?

And diamondseeker, yes, that is exactly what I said! But my mom doesn’t even wear her own rings anymore. She works with young kids, so there’s lots of play-dough and finger paint, and she doesn’t go out much, so she’s just never worn it. As I was leaving, she did say something about how nice it is to keep it in the family, and how maybe I could pass it on to my own daughter someday. My response? Sure…she can have it when I’m dead! ;-)

Perfect! :appl:

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to update with clean pics of my diamond and me playing with the different colors it reflects, but I don't want to clog up Pricescope too badly, and I already dumped a load of photos in Timeless Classics. Therefore, for anybody interested, lots of colorful OEC picspam over here!

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
black, that diamond is to die for...OMG...i would love to get a diamond like that for free and its been in the family. OMG....seriously, im totally envious right now. That baby is gonna sparkle so much in a good setting, your not gonna be able to take your eyes off of it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blacksand, your stone is lovely!!! Great pics, btw, and DO NOT worry about PS or us overdosing on pics. What good would this forum be without pics??? Jeez, lady! :bigsmile:

AdanaEsq

Shiny_Rock
That stone really is goregous! What a find. I love OMC and OEC stones. Do you have any setting ideas in mind?

kurtwoodfork

Rough_Rock
blacksand said:
kagordo4 said:
bling bling is right : )

Ha! The funny thing is it's meant to be Bing Bing, not bling bling. Bing Bing was what we called my grandmother. Long story there, but suffice it to say she was quite the character! I remember when the expression "bling bling" came into fashion, she thought it was just the greatest thing ever. She bought this pair of hot pink sweatpants with "bling bling" appliqued right across the butt, the kind that are mostly worn by teenage girls, and she proudly wore them all around town. Yep, that was my grandmother.

AWww your grandma sounds WAY TOO AWESOME! teehee! and that DIAMOND oh MAN oh man!!! I wish I had a diamond half as beautiful being handed down in my family!! BEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeautiful!!! CONGRATS!!!!! :appl:

and I second Dreamer_D on checking out singlestone settings! I'm going there this weekend! WEE! :D I'm looking at vintage-y settings too right now and I'm considering renaissance platinum from philip press (http://www.philippress.com), saturn jewelshttp://www.saturnjewels.com , and singlestone http://www.singlestone.com !!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SweetieTooth said:
blacksand said:
kagordo4 said:
bling bling is right : )

Ha! The funny thing is it's meant to be Bing Bing, not bling bling. Bing Bing was what we called my grandmother. Long story there, but suffice it to say she was quite the character! I remember when the expression "bling bling" came into fashion, she thought it was just the greatest thing ever. She bought this pair of hot pink sweatpants with "bling bling" appliqued right across the butt, the kind that are mostly worn by teenage girls, and she proudly wore them all around town. Yep, that was my grandmother.

AWww your grandma sounds WAY TOO AWESOME! teehee! and that DIAMOND oh MAN oh man!!! I wish I had a diamond half as beautiful being handed down in my family!! BEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeautiful!!! CONGRATS!!!!! :appl:

and I second Dreamer_D on checking out singlestone settings! I'm going there this weekend! WEE! :D I'm looking at vintage-y settings too right now and I'm considering renaissance platinum from philip press (http://www.philippress.com), saturn jewelshttp://www.saturnjewels.com , and singlestone http://www.singlestone.com !!

This ring, and this union, are nothing short of fantastic. What a wonderful, fantastic diamond and setting to be found in our family, and what a wonderful couple we have who are marrying each other. God love both of them, and God love us all.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your beautiful diamond. I am so happy for you! You said you were initially drawn to square stones. My new ring (not an engagement ring) is a round OEC in a beautiful square setting. Maybe this would work for you?

newring1.jpg

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
What a gorgeous heirloom stone and even lovelier story. Talk about a positive omen.

I am so happy for you Blacksand!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone!

Setting the ring has been moved to the back burner for a little while because we are moving! We have found the most amazing house for rent, and miraculously it is in our price range. We were looking at apartments and small townhouses, because we never in a million years thought we could get a nice house for what we were looking to pay. Then this ad popped up, we replied, saw the place, fell in love, and applied for it. The only thing was, because the house is amazing, there were oodles of other applicants, so we didn't really think we had a chance. But the landlord called just an hour and a half after we submitted our application and offered us the place. Guess they liked us! It is huge for us, big enough to allow for a whole room just for the bunnies and guinea pigs, an office, and a guest bedroom. We can have guests! Beautiful Victorian woodwork throughout the house, a huge renovated kitchen, a deck, small yard, bay windows...the place is amazing! Steps away from boyfriend's work and walking distance from the canal path for my morning runs. It's unbelievable. This will be the first time in my life living in a proper house instead of an apartment. Yes, we will still be renting for a while before we can afford to actually buy a house, but I am soooooo excited to live in a house for now, and to live with my soon-to-be fiance!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results