shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1311696017|2977077 said:
I also sent them an email about this...I figure if more than one person tells them they're wrong, they'll look back and realize, "Oh, Alexander was right." I received a similar response.

The best I can figure is that just got Queen Elizabeth I and Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother confused, thinking they were the same person. For someone who doesn't follow royalty closely, that would be an easy mistake to make. I remember doing a presentation in 9th grade English on Queen Elizabeth I, and one of the comments from a classmate was how all the Anne's and Catherine's were confusing.

I'm off for an afternoon of blood tests, x-rays, and writing disgustingly large checks in preparation for my surgery on Friday. :cry:

Hehe... And in due time there will be another Queen Catherine who'll make things even more complicated (for some) :razz:
On a slightly different note - I remember reading a very long article in a newspaper when The Queen Mother died (I was on a holiday with my mum). I asked her questions like "Did she abdicate?, then Why wasn't she still on the throne?, Was she Elizabeth I?" My poor mother couldn't answer any of them and I kept on asking even more :D

Godd luck on Friday! I'll think of you, dear Maria.

Bobby

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SanDiegoLady|1311571428|2976166 said:
LadyMaria|1311521473|2975730 said:

These simply don't look like the same earrings to me. The earrings Diana is wearing on the right have a cab in them that is significantly larger and darker than the smaller, faceted, much bluer stone Kate is wearing in hers. They look quite similar but not the same. Maybe I'm missing something? :confused:

Cameras weren't as good as they are now. With the digital technology and the ability to better reproduce color I imagine, perhaps her earrings look more blue now. The sapphire ring still looks like a black hole though. :knockout:

I honestly think these are Diana's earrings because I don't think Will cares much about jewelry, and it's just easier for him to give her his mother's jewels. Might as well, so they're worn and used again.

Kate likes wearing dangle or drop earrings, it suits her long hair better.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1311716693|2977340 said:
To Alexander:

In Turkey The Queen wore the ruby swag necklace and matching earrings with the kokoshnik. That's why I don't really think Elizabeth II will wear more rubies during the Turkish State Visit. Perhaps the Sapphire parure or the Girls o GB&I? Something in pearls would also be nice, thought I still hope for emeralds.

Yes, Alexander, the Oriental Circlet was worn in Malta (in 2005). HM first wore the ruby necklace in 2001 (!) when Abdullah II and Rania visited Great Britain for a State Visit.

Bobby

I think in 2001 HM wore the Burmese with the necklace - and I think the complete original set not yet.

Yes, the emeralds were not seen for a long time - a again a complete diamond set - I now sometimes HM surprises :))

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1311629640|2976579 said:
The earrings may not be the same as the ones worn by Diana in the photos, yet the stones they are made of most likely belonged to Diana. She had a pair of sapphire and diamond earring in which a pendant with saphires and diamonds was suspended from a single diamond, which was attached to a s/d cluster.

I was looking back at my Queen's Jewels book and got a refersher course on how much Diana altered the sapphires she received from the Saudis as a wedding present (changing the ring to part of a necklace, watch into a bracelet and earrings, etc.) I agree, these are at the very least stones that were Diana's, but may have been reworked. Sure wouldn't be the first time jewels have been changed up a little!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
SanDiegoLady|1311790202|2978139 said:
Oh!! Those bottom ones look very much like the ones Kate now wears. These particular double halo earrings were among my favorites worn by Diana. Good eye!! :appl: [/color]

Thanks!
Would anybody agree that if the bottom cluster was indeed used for Catherine's earrings the top part may one day go to Princess Henry, Diana's other d-i-l?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1311768372|2977873 said:
I think in 2001 HM wore the Burmese with the necklace - and I think the complete original set not yet.

Yes, the emeralds were not seen for a long time - a again a complete diamond set - I now sometimes HM surprises :))

All correct, Alexander!
I also hope we'll be surprised by Hwer Majesty (I'm little bored by the Girls).

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1311805182|2978315 said:
SanDiegoLady|1311790202|2978139 said:
Oh!! Those bottom ones look very much like the ones Kate now wears. These particular double halo earrings were among my favorites worn by Diana. Good eye!! :appl: [/color]

Thanks!
Would anybody agree that if the bottom cluster was indeed used for Catherine's earrings the top part may one day go to Princess Henry, Diana's other d-i-l?

Bobby

I'm with you on this one Bobby...I think the bottom part is what Catherine is wearing. It is a nice thought that the other part would go to the future Princess Henry.

I am curious to see if the rest of the Saudi sapphires (the necklace and earrings that had more of a sunburst look) will soon appear on the Duchess of Cambridge.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1311776170|2977961 said:
prince.of.preslav|1311629640|2976579 said:
The earrings may not be the same as the ones worn by Diana in the photos, yet the stones they are made of most likely belonged to Diana. She had a pair of sapphire and diamond earring in which a pendant with saphires and diamonds was suspended from a single diamond, which was attached to a s/d cluster.

I was looking back at my Queen's Jewels book and got a refersher course on how much Diana altered the sapphires she received from the Saudis as a wedding present (changing the ring to part of a necklace, watch into a bracelet and earrings, etc.) I agree, these are at the very least stones that were Diana's, but may have been reworked. Sure wouldn't be the first time jewels have been changed up a little!

Yes, she did indeed alter her jewels a lot, especially the sapphire pieces. Here we can see the (then-)Princess of Wales (or was this after the divorce?) in Washington, 1996 wearing the original bracelet and earrings from the Saudi Arabian suite, along with the watch turned into bracelet:
DianaWashington1996.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1311808161|2978360 said:
I'm with you on this one Bobby...I think the bottom part is what Catherine is wearing. It is a nice thought that the other part would go to the future Princess Henry.

I am curious to see if the rest of the Saudi sapphires (the necklace and earrings that had more of a sunburst look) will soon appear on the Duchess of Cambridge.

Thanks for the support :D
So far the only jewels with a past royal connection that The Duchess has worn are the ering, the tiara, the brooch and the sapphire earrings (though not for sure); the rest is from her private collection. You know that the papers (on-line editions, at least) were like crazy when the ring re-appeared, they even got the earrings and wrote about this special gift by William. I just don't want to imagine all the hysteria after HRH wears the Saudi sapphire suit... And yet in the same time I'd love to see Catherine with some parts of it (the bracelets) for the sake of glitter (but we'll have to wait for a dressy event, and that might take a while).

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It does look like you're right about the earrings, Bobby. Nice to have that mystery solved! Wouldn't it be nice if Kate turned up in some of the other sapphires -- the Saudi ones simply make me drool on my keyboard. They can't seem to look less than stunning in any light. It may take a while for her to wear that kind of thing -- but the Queen's Jubilee year is coming up with probably plenty of opportunity for sparkles: dare we hope?

collier

Shiny_Rock
After reading some 300+ pages of royal jewel postings, I am delighted to feel like the ultimate lurker coming out of the dark! There are a few things that I have thought about regarding the debate about HRH Catherine's sapphire earrings. First, they are set in yellow gold, or yellow gold with a silver/white/plat prong setting. The wedding sapphires that Diana recieved were in white or platinum alone. Second, they are faceted as many (Bobby in particular) noted. The drop earrings that Diana wears in the b&w photo could be a match, but the one's Catherine wears look a bit older. Personally, I would not have alter a beautiful double drop if it were me, given that I (as the Duchess) would have ample time to wear the more formal style. However, it could easily be the other earrings in question were altered. I see no issue with Catherine modifing anything she is given as many, Diana, QE2 and QE3 etc etc etc have all done it to both historic and non historic pieces.

On a slightly different note, it would not surprise me if a. Catherine was wearing the bottom half of the earring that Henry's future wife would get the top, or that Catherine got both parts of that earring and was planning to do something else with the other halves (I'm thinking a pendant for the neck etc) and Henry's future wife gets the other similar set of sapphire earrings and convertable drops.

Regarding the tabloid coverage of Camilla being delighted that Catherine is having trouble with bearing a child I find meritless. Camilla notably gave Catherine that gold bracelet with the charm bearring both their Cs and reports otherwise seem to indicate that the two have grown quite close. The elder duchess seems to have taken the younger one under her wing as it were.

collier

Shiny_Rock
I am going to have to retract my agreement. They are not the same earrings. In the black and white picture, the lower part has four prongs holding the sapphire. Catherine's earrings have about twice as many prongs.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Welcome here, collier! And thanks for the words about the relations between the two Duchesses.

collier|1311815252|2978469 said:
I am going to have to retract my agreement. They are not the same earrings. In the black and white picture, the lower part has four prongs holding the sapphire. Catherine's earrings have about twice as many prongs.

Thet's the exact reason why I wrote: "The earrings may not be the same as the ones worn by Diana in the photos, yet the stones they are made of most likely belonged to Diana"

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1311810697|2978404 said:
It does look like you're right about the earrings, Bobby. Nice to have that mystery solved! Wouldn't it be nice if Kate turned up in some of the other sapphires -- the Saudi ones simply make me drool on my keyboard. They can't seem to look less than stunning in any light. It may take a while for her to wear that kind of thing -- but the Queen's Jubilee year is coming up with probably plenty of opportunity for sparkles: dare we hope?

I had forgotten about the Jubilee :D Lets hope Her Majesty opts for a white tie gala in Windsor Castle, unlike the black tie we saw at the Golden Jubilee.

Bobby

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
collier|1311815252|2978469 said:

The jeweler could have added additional prongs. Over the years, Diana actually added additional prongs to her sapphire e-ring.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I don't see why Harry is likely to get the top bit, if those are Diana's double-sapphire earrings. It's not as if there are no other sapphires of Diana's or the RF's to give his future wife. Or as if they can't buy her something new. Splitting top & bottom for each son is for regular families, not these folks! The brothers are close friends; it seems to me they might have agreed on which pieces each one will have. And while William may be the heir, for that very reason his wife will have the choice of all of HM's jewels, so I'd expect him to be generous w/Harry -- especially since Kate isn't (yet) into major bling.

Cross fingers for white tie!!! Great idea.

--- Laurie

P.S. Welcome, Collier! Your comments are interesting & good points. Unless BP gets specific -- & they usually don't -- I guess we will never know for sure.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Perhaps Catherine will get the Saudi sapphire suite while Harry's wife will get the sapphires from Oman?

Here's a shot of the original Saudi suite from the "Queen's Jewels" book. This is before the alterations.

sapphiresuite.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Here's Diana's Omani sapphires.

I personally like the Saudi sapphires better.

omansuite.jpg

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
Oh that pendant is gorgeous! I wonder how many carats it is.

collier

Shiny_Rock
18 carats!

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
Info From 'The Queen's Jewels' p.147 by Leslie Field, 1987

"The Princess of Wales's most magnificent wedding gift was a sapphire and diamond suite from the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia. Made by Asprey, it consists of an enormous Burmese sapphire pendant set in a jagged sunray fringe of baguette diamonds and hung on a thin diamond necklace; a matching pair of earrings and ring; a two-row bracelet of brilliant-cut diamonds with a smaller version of the sapphire pendant as a centrepiece; and a wristwatch, the face set in the same diamond sunray fringe and the strap consisting of seven oval sapphires set in clusters of diamonds...."

" The Princess often wears the necklace and earrings, and occasionally the bracelet, but she has used the stones from the watch and ring to make completely new pieces of jewellery. Four of the sapphire and diamond clusters from the watch strap were made into a pair of earrings, with two of the clusters as detachable pendant drops. The oval sapphire from the ring was set in the diamond sunray frame of the watch and is now the centrepiece of a wide choker of midnight-blue velvet backed with Velcro. On either side of the sapphire is a chain of small diamonds, three deep, which runs halfway round the choker. The Princess wore the choker as a headband on her official visit to Japin in 1986, at a State banquet hosted by the Emperor."

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
How about the Meander tiara for Zara's wedding? It is just right for a young woman, still looks very modern (compared to the Victorian, etc., styles of others in the family). It belonged originally to her gr-grandmother, Princess Andrew of Greece (why was she called Princess Andrew instead of Princess Alice, when she was born Princess of Battenburg -- a Princess in her own right?), came to HM as a wedding present, and belongs now to Zara's mother, who has worn it often.

MeanderTiaraCloseUp.jpg

PrincessAndrewMeanderTiara.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Apparently since the days of Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary (at least) it has been customary to take gifts of jewels and rearrange them as suits the recipient?

If someone in a family like ours (to paraphrase Laurie) gave a gift, and then the recipient went about taking the stones from one piece and putting them in another, wouldn't that create a controversy? Yet the givers of these royal jewels don't seem to be the least bit offended by this?

I find this very interesting.

Just a comment, not a profound one, sapphires looked so good on Diana, maybe because of the color of her eyes, maybe for some esoteric reason I'm not aware of, but they really did. :love:

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1311871882|2979013 said:
How about the Meander tiara for Zara's wedding? It is just right for a young woman, still looks very modern (compared to the Victorian, etc., styles of others in the family). It belonged originally to her gr-grandmother, Princess Andrew of Greece (why was she called Princess Andrew instead of Princess Alice, when she was born Princess of Battenburg -- a Princess in her own right?), came to HM as a wedding present, and belongs now to Zara's mother, who has worn it often.

When I asked for opinions on page 320 about what tiara (if any) Zara would wear, this is the one I referred to as the Greek Key. I've heard it referred to as the Greek Key, the, Meadner, the Greek Meander, etc. If Zara wears a tiara, I think there is a good chance this will be it.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It has probably been done for ages, Danny. Louis XIV did it with the French Blue (now the Hope) & other stones, the Czars continually in their history. QV did a lot of gem-exchanging. Back as far as Elizabethan times, stones would be taken from one setting & put into another. Even for RFs it is too expensive to buy all new gems whenever styles change or the piece goes to a new wife with different tastes. I imagine that kind of extends to gifts by custom.

When jewels are given, say by one royal to another as w/Diana's Saudi stuff, the idea must be different than if you buy a ring for your aunt -- to provide good stones & valuable settings with the idea that the recipient may want to mess around with them. Not only are tastes different, but requirements for jewelry wear vary depending on the culture & the person's duties & appearance. Since nearly all RFs re-use stones, it's probably assumed that this may happen. The goal would be to provide excellent material for them to work with -- if they like the piece as is, great, but not essential.

Among families, it's probably the same as with you & me: pieces designed by Prince Albert for QV would be meant to please her as they are & though I don't know for sure, she's likely not to have changed those (at least for enough years so she could say, "Think I'll update this lovely thing a bit...") Even the QM got herself a new e-ring. I always wondered how she presented to Bertie that she wasn't nuts about the one he gave her -- or he may have shrugged & said, "Suit yourself, dear."

--- Laurie

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
Imdanny|1311885332|2979197 said:
Apparently since the days of Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary (at least) it has been customary to take gifts of jewels and rearrange them as suits the recipient?

If someone in a family like ours (to paraphrase Laurie) gave a gift, and then the recipient went about taking the stones from one piece and putting them in another, wouldn't that create a controversy? Yet the givers of these royal jewels don't seem to be the least bit offended by this?

Just a comment, not a profound one, sapphires looked so good on Diana, maybe because of the color of her eyes, maybe for some esoteric reason I'm not aware of, but they really did. :love:

My mother told me a couple of years ago that as my grandmother's only granddaughter, I would be receiving her wedding ring set, if I so desired. My grandfather was a jeweler, so I knew the pieces would be of high quality. About a year ago my boyfriend proposed to me with my grandmother's ring and my mother and aunt were surprised I didn't want the diamonds reset.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
JewelFreak|1311871882|2979013 said:

I think it was the custom of the day, when I think of the Grand Duchess Vladimir, or Princess Nicholas of Greece (a born Grand Duchess of Russia)

it is known that "Battenberg" was such a not-royal enough but also no-commoner style. f.e. The Swedish court asked befor the wedding of Princess Louise if she is part of the Royal Family of GB.

and I think during WWI when German titels were refused or changed f.e. Princess Marie Louise of Schleswig-Holstein received the King's wish and the new style - but referred herself as Marie Louise of Nothing.

in some days we will know what Zara will wear.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
BubblyBear|1311890008|2979259 said:
Imdanny|1311885332|2979197 said:

My mother told me a couple of years ago that as my grandmother's only granddaughter, I would be receiving her wedding ring set, if I so desired. My grandfather was a jeweler, so I knew the pieces would be of high quality. About a year ago my boyfriend proposed to me with my grandmother's ring and my mother and aunt were surprised I didn't want the diamonds reset.

my opinion! for me the older settings and designs are more of good handwork than what mostly is seen nowadays. and it is more unique as the mass products.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results