shape
carat
color
clarity

Nikon DSLR gurus

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2008 8:35:45 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 10/4/2008 8:14:27 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Thanks storm. b&h is one of my resellers so I usually buy from them if possible.

I still am not seeing the d60 by itself for 560 anywhere...
Excellent vendor if you buy through buy.com, not so good to buy direct.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=207525700&listingid=28449181&dcaid=17902
I''ve never heard of digicombos...couldn''t find them on resellerratings at all. Hm.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2008 8:35:45 PM
Date: 10/4/2008 8:14:27 PM

Thanks storm. b&h is one of my resellers so I usually buy from them if possible.

I still am not seeing the d60 by itself for 560 anywhere...

Excellent vendor if you buy through buy.com, not so good to buy direct.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=207525700&listingid=28449181&dcaid=17902

better vendor and a little cheaper.

http://www.ephotocraft.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=018208254361

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks storm. Digicombos got terrible ratings on resellerratings (found them...was entering them in the wrong field).

ephotocraft doesn''t monitor with them but they seem to get good reviews. Question for you...my understanding is that D60 doesn''t come without the kit lens? I''ll have to double check, but if so, how are they selling without? Breaking up the kit?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2008 8:57:47 PM
Thanks storm. Digicombos got terrible ratings on resellerratings (found them...was entering them in the wrong field).

ephotocraft doesn''t monitor with them but they seem to get good reviews. Question for you...my understanding is that D60 doesn''t come without the kit lens? I''ll have to double check, but if so, how are they selling without? Breaking up the kit?
OK, I see that it does come body only. I am getting confused with the d40.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2008 8:57:47 PM

no clue I''m not that into Nikon but every other brand sells body only so it would be weird if they didn''t.

Buying through buy.com brings additional protection and they wouldn''t pull the stuff they are getting nailed for on reseller ratings.
The good reviews they have are likely the ones from buy.com.
That said ephotocraft sounds better.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
D60 body only is Manufacturer Part #: 25436
Several authorized dealers have it listed as a US part.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2008 8:42:28 PM
Author: omieluv
Way off topic, but after looking at prices on D40/60, I am now starting to reconsider the D90...just saw it for $1300 (w/ kit)...yikes. Buy.com has the D80 kit for 800...wondering if the D90 is worth the price difference.

It is if you want a movie mode, and will actually make use of it. If not? I''d stick with the D80.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2008 9:13:59 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

Way off topic, but after looking at prices on D40/60, I am now starting to reconsider the D90...just saw it for $1300 (w/ kit)...yikes. Buy.com has the D80 kit for 800...wondering if the D90 is worth the price difference.

It is if you want a movie mode, and will actually make use of it. If not? I''d stick with the D80.
90 has better high iso noise levels also and a few other things.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2008 9:15:12 PM

Date: 10/4/2008 9:13:59 PM

90 has better high iso noise levels also and a few other things.
For me, not so much into the whole movie thing. However, I do like the fact that it performs well at high ISO''s. I read somewhere that it has the same sensor as the D300 and a few other things that the D300 has, which is interesting. I might just wait to see whether prices will drop after it has been on the market for a while. D80 is a very capable camera for starting out though and is about $500 less...ugh.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2008 9:27:46 PM

For me, not so much into the whole movie thing. However, I do like the fact that it performs well at high ISO''s. I read somewhere that it has the same sensor as the D300 and a few other things that the D300 has, which is interesting. I might just wait to see whether prices will drop after it has been on the market for a while. D80 is a very capable camera for starting out though and is about $500 less...ugh.

Yea its a hard choice,,, $500 will buy a much faster and better lens.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, so slight change of tactic.

Going to see if I can get a EUC D40 and save 100+ or hopefully a bit more.

Then see if I can find a 18-200VR lens for a decent price (there was one near me on craigslist yesterday for $500 but it was snatched up within a few hours). I wouldn''t mind buying this new if I can get a decent price on the D40.

Still like the CB400 flash for now but if I really get into this stuff, I''ll pay for a SB600 or 800 later as I can still always use the 400 for travel.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
T Gal -

I have the Lowepro Nova 1 bag which holds my D40 with the 18-200 lens, plus the 18-55 kit lens. It''s not too big, but holds everything and could probably squeeze in a few more small items.

And speaking of lenses, I bought the Sigma 30/1.4 lens because of all the raves on dpreview and I''ve found it to be a tricky lens to get a good shot. I''m sure it''s just me, but I rarely use it because the Nikon lenses work so well. And the Sigma isn''t a long lens, but it''s a heavy lens, feels like it weighs as much or more than the 18-200.

I like have the longer zoom on the camera because I prefer to shoot candids of people and pets rather than posed portraits, and getting close often makes the subject too aware of the camera. But that''s my shooting style. Others may differ. I will say that having a DSLR does allow you to capture more fast action, which is great for shots of kids or pets or anything else that tends to be in motion.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 4:58:16 AM
Author: rainwood
T Gal -

I have the Lowepro Nova 1 bag which holds my D40 with the 18-200 lens, plus the 18-55 kit lens. It''s not too big, but holds everything and could probably squeeze in a few more small items.

And speaking of lenses, I bought the Sigma 30/1.4 lens because of all the raves on dpreview and I''ve found it to be a tricky lens to get a good shot. I''m sure it''s just me, but I rarely use it because the Nikon lenses work so well. And the Sigma isn''t a long lens, but it''s a heavy lens, feels like it weighs as much or more than the 18-200.

I like have the longer zoom on the camera because I prefer to shoot candids of people and pets rather than posed portraits, and getting close often makes the subject too aware of the camera. But that''s my shooting style. Others may differ. I will say that having a DSLR does allow you to capture more fast action, which is great for shots of kids or pets or anything else that tends to be in motion.
Thanks rainwood. Your points are exactly why I decided on what I did. I don''t want to have to be too up close to get my portrait shots. I was considering the sigma too but I think it would be too limited for the price.

I will look into the bag!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
For you MP. These were taken with an ancient, 2MP Casio crappy digital. I got it free from work so I took it to Europe. It did its job but I hope this dslr will yield sharper, livelier photos.

5x7x2roofboat.JPG

5x7winterwonderland.JPG

5x7cathedralthrougharch.JPG

5x7masksandgondola.JPG

boatsandbuildings.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Salzburg-chess.JPG

seaandwall123.JPG

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
TGal, WOW. For such a teeny little camera you did a great job - these look amazing! I especially love the first and second shots. Now I REALLY can''t wait to see what you do with a more high-end camera
36.gif

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
T Gal, you have a great photographic eye and that''s what matters. The camera is always secondary to that.

I recognize the Greek islands, Hohenschwangau (I have almost that same shot in summer), Venice and Salzburg, but love all the photos. Where was the last photo taken? I''m guessing either Turkey or Croatia.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks gals! I would love to see pics from others too with their Nikons!

The last photo is the walk around the wall in Dubrovnik, Croatia. I traveled Europe in the winter, which was awesome for photo ops. If you look at the one of the Seville Cathedral through the archway, you''ll notice there are no people in the photo. Try doing that in the summer! Same with the Dubrovnik wall photo...not many people. The Salzburg photo was of a grey, cold day and no one was out and about except those two guys playing chess.

I also spent a couple of hours walking around the wall in Rothenburg, Germany in January and didn''t run into a SINGLE soul. It was almost too dead for me!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I ordered the lens, but still have no camera. Hee.

Amazon had the 18-200 for $661. Then this morning, it moved up a buck to $662. This afternoon I thought, what the heck, let''s order. I had to look twice, but the price dropped to $649.95! Best price out there for a USA model with 5 yr warranty, so I bought it. Plus I like Amazon!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wanted to thank you all again. I ordered a bunch of goodies and here''s what I decided on -

D40 Nikon Factory Demo Body only from Cameta with 1 yr warranty - purchased on eBay for $275
Nikkor - 18-200 VR lens, USA Warranty - $649.95 Amazon
SB-400 Speedlight, USA Warranty - 104.95 Adorama.com

Not too far of my budget of $1000. Also bought a bag...the Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home in RED.
30.gif
Loved the name and the bag will be perfect for me. Checked out Lowepro bags and Tamrac at my local store and I didn''t really like any of them.

I really appreciate all of you helping me make my choice. Hopefully I will enjoy this camera!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
T Gal -

Good for you! I loved the idea of the Crumpler bags, and considered buying one, but I didn''t like the velcro openings because they make so much noise. I could just picture some quiet, sweet moment I wanted to capture and then have to hear the riiiiiip of that velcro. The Lowepro wasn''t as cute, but is deadly silent.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 4:57:24 PM
Author: rainwood
T Gal -

Good for you! I loved the idea of the Crumpler bags, and considered buying one, but I didn''t like the velcro openings because they make so much noise. I could just picture some quiet, sweet moment I wanted to capture and then have to hear the riiiiiip of that velcro. The Lowepro wasn''t as cute, but is deadly silent.
LOL, I read the same issue about them, but don''t think it will bother me much.

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
congrats on your purchases tgal...i'm sure you'll take some great pics.

i've been following this thread closely - thank you to everyone for their input!

i'm torn between the D60 (Nikon) and XSi (Canon). does anyone have any preference either way? i will likely just keep the basic lens that comes with either of them (18-55mm).

right now the price differential between both is only about $50. ($600 for D60, $650 for XSi)

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see your first shots with it, TGal! I wanted a Crumpler too, but I was put off by the velcro - maybe someday they will have one without it lol.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 10:57:13 PM
I can''t wait to see your first shots with it, TGal! I wanted a Crumpler too, but I was put off by the velcro - maybe someday they will have one without it lol.
I know, I was wondering about it myself (the velcro is huge!) but since I bought this to take pix of Amelia, I didn''t foresee myself being in a quiet place anytime soon. Plus I read that if it really bothers you, just buy some velcro and cover up one side of it, then just use the buckle. Most didn''t seem to be too irritated with it.

sbde, if you can wait, buy it around the holidays. I am sure they will do all kinds of deals then. As for your question...

My initial two choices were the XSi and the D80. Then I went to feel them in my hands and didn''t like EITHER of them. D80 was too big and the Canon grip has a 90 degree angle where your fingers wrap around, which to me did not feel natural.

For the price, I believe you get more in the XSi over the D60. Double check if the autofocus is in the body in the Canon, but in the D60, it is in the lens, which means you are limited in lens selection if you want to use autofocus. Both do not come with image stabilization in the body, so it''s a draw there. Both have dust control. The XSi I believe is 12 MP vs 10 for the D60, which isn''t really a selling point in my opinion. The XSi also has "live view" where you can take pictures from the view in the LCD screen. Technology in your point and shoot is way better than what''s out in DSLRs right now in terms of this feature, for reasons I won''t go into (there are plenty of articles out there on it). You don''t just look at your LCD and hit the shutter. There is a separate button to focus, THEN you hit the shutter. I probably would never use it but it would come in handy if you had a shot over your head or from your hip or something.

The LCD is bigger on the XSi - 3" vs 2.5 on the D60.

Honestly, I don''t think for the money, the D60 is much better than the D40, which is why I opted to get the 40. The kit lenses on both XSi and D40 I''ve read are not bad but I wanted to just get the body I wanted plus a good lens that would work for me (Strm suggests this earlier in the thread and I agree with him).

Also, if I were you, I would not get a gray market camera. It will be the same in quality (same camera, actually) but not only will it not come with the warranty, but in Nikon''s case, they will refuse to service it even if you want to PAY for the work. I guess it would be fine if you don''t mind a 3rd party to fix your camera (and indeed companies like B&H will add their own 1 year warranty to imports they sell). Personally, I live close to the Nikon El Segundo facility and wanted to take my stuff there. Nikon also told me when I called that they will not fix gray market cameras, but they have been known to fix gray market lenses/speedlights. I still wouldn''t count on it.

If those choice is between those two and Canon has autofocus in the body, I would choose the Canon. You could use nice prime lenses which are not pricey. Amazon has it for 640 (585 just for the body). The D60 just seemed like a way to me to get the extra few hundred from consumers without a lot of improvements on Nikon''s end. You''ll find that the XSi is considered a nice improvement from the XTi and with the price so low now, it is a nice camera.

Hopefully MP will chime in as I am sure her opinion will be very different from mine since she owns the D60 - which is certainly a nice camera if the reviews have anything to say about it!

I just preferred to pay $275 for my little D40.
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
just a small point/correction canon does not have a focus motor in the camera.
Higher end and older Nikon's did/do therefore some Nikon lens can not be used except as manual focus on some Nikon bodies as they have no focus motor.
Canon hasn't had a in body focus motor in decades so all canon compatible AF lens have a motor in the lens.
A motor in the lens is much faster and more accurate than a motor in the body anyway.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2008 1:04:51 AM
just a small point/correction canon does not have a focus motor in the camera.
Higher end and older Nikon''s did/do therefore some Nikon lens can not be used except as manual focus on some Nikon bodies as they have no focus motor.
Canon hasn''t had a in body focus motor in decades so all canon compatible AF lens have a motor in the lens.
A motor in the lens is much faster and more accurate than a motor in the body anyway.
Thanks Strm. And yes, I read that it is actually better to have the motor in the lens which is why I wasn''t bothered by it. I couldn''t remember if Canon had it or not.

Same issue anyway...if all Canons have motors in the lens, buying the XSi still gives you more lens choice than the Nikon D60. But since most of us newbies don''t have lenses already, nor will we buy a bag full of them, it''s really not an issue.

I''ve always bought Canon point and shoots, so I was surprised that I really preferred the feel of the Nikons in the end. I really don''t think you can go wrong with either choice. Just go see what feels good in your hands.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
No hijacksies but ... Happy Belated 2nd Anny! My near wedding date twin
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both make good cameras.
I will likely end up using a sigma lens on either one I get.
The sigma 17-70 or 18-50 combined with the sigma 150 macro is the combo I want with either a Nikon or Canon body.
One lens I would miss that Nikon don''t have is a kicken 70-200 f/4 IS.
The various 70-200 f/2.8s are to big and heavy for a travel lens and the lower end variable max aperture lens aren''t that great on the long end in low light.
In good light the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Macro is nice for a lot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results