shape
carat
color
clarity

How many of you are satisfied with your diamond size?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Time out: Gwendolyn! Hi there! I haven't seen you in ages!!!! So good to see your beautiful face!

Okay, back to the thread: I'm satisfied with my current ring. It's my first upgrade, and I love it and can't imagine ever trading it in for another. That being said, who knows? Maybe I'll fall in love with step cuts again and trade it in for an Asscher.

My original ring was a 2 ct modern cushion in a very modern setting. I loved it, but realized shortly after we were engaged that a) I wanted an antique cushion, and b) the setting was too modern for me, it was a shared prong platinum eternity setting. My current ring is a 2.3 ct OMB in a rose gold setting.

Am I greedy? Sometimes, it depends on what we're talking about. Am I ashamed of it? Nope.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1326648569|3103457 said:
Time out: Gwendolyn! Hi there! I haven't seen you in ages!!!! So good to see your beautiful face!
Good to see you too, my sweet! :bigsmile: I don't want to hijack the thread, but I do want to say that I hope all is well with your lovely self!

Now that you mention it, I don't believe I've seen your upgrade!! Off to find some pictures--sounds absolutely divine!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think for this stage in my life and marriage my current diamond is perfectly sized. Esp since I rarely wear my rings anymore. I got an inadvertent "upgrade" around my 5 year anniversary due to my other rings being stolen while at the gym. Back when we got my now-gone rings, my husband wanted to use my stone for a sidestone in a monster 3 stone 10 or so years down the line. Now that it's long gone, I think we're going to trade this one in for larger and then buy two smaller stones later as side stones. If in 5 or 10 more years we're in a financial place that allows an upgrade I might like to go up a little, but I don't see myself doing much with it for a while. And in 5 or 10 years I don't know if this cut will still exist or if Ill want something else. I thought I'd never want a larger stone, but I think maybe 2-ish ct would be a nice upgrade and stopping point in the future for a solitaire or center stone with a three stone. But I certainly wouldn't "demand" it like some of the younger class would. I would see if I could afford it when I trade this ring up.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
ame|1326649325|3103468 said:
I think for this stage in my life and marriage my current diamond is perfectly sized. Esp since I rarely wear my rings anymore. I got an inadvertent "upgrade" around my 5 year anniversary due to my other rings being stolen while at the gym. Back when we got my now-gone rings, my husband wanted to use my stone for a sidestone in a monster 3 stone 10 or so years down the line. Now that it's long gone, I think we're going to trade this one in for larger and then buy two smaller stones later as side stones. If in 5 or 10 more years we're in a financial place that allows an upgrade I might like to go up a little, but I don't see myself doing much with it for a while. And in 5 or 10 years I don't know if this cut will still exist or if Ill want something else. I thought I'd never want a larger stone, but I think maybe 2-ish ct would be a nice upgrade and stopping point in the future for a solitaire or center stone with a three stone. But I certainly wouldn't "demand" it like some of the younger class would. I would see if I could afford it when I trade this ring up.
This is exactly how I feel about my ering. I know later down the road, when it is somewhat more appropriate, my DH will want to upgrade my ring and I'm not going to argue with that! (Well, I may have to drop a few hints :Up_to_something: )

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I am. I have a 1.55ct cushion (which faces up to the size of a 1ct round). It's not massive or really impressive, but it's a nice size on my finger (6.5-6.75) and the comment I get most often is, "wow, it's so sparkly!". I would feel horrible asking for an 'upgrade' and unless something happened to my ring/diamond I don't think I will ever change the stone. I would love to have an old cut stone in a ring like Haven's (which is probably my favorite ring ever!), but I don't really forsee that happening. We are looking at buying a retirement home so we can have it paid off by the time we retire (still a VERY long way off), and it's also more important to us to have a nest egg for later so we can live comfortably and travel. My guy is very financially responsible and a great saver, which I really appreciate. He could have afforded to spend much more on my ring, but he spent what he was comfortable with, which I think makes a lot of sense.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I love my 1.29 ct asscher but if I could afford it, I'd trade up to an Octavia. It would have to fit into my Leon Mege setting because I love that, too. I only wish the Octavias were out when I was looking for my stone.

So you won't be seeing my ring on DB any time soon!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Yes and no :???: My original e-ring was a 1.06 princess cut that I loved loved loved. Sadly, a corner chipped and I replaced it with a 1.33 round brilliant, that I sold for financial reasons to help my parents. A few months later we bought me a .80 carat round. The cut is great, the color and clarity are fine. The size? Eh. After having a 1.33, my .80 does seem...not small, but mediumish to me. The 1.33 was a great size.

That being said, my .80 is in a beautiful pave solitaire setting. Totally not compatible with my new job! I was working part time when I bought this setting and am now full time at my dream job. I use hand sanitizer every 30 minutes, plus lotion and my job is VERY hands on. So I'm currently searching for a beautiful plain solitaire to set my .80 carat in. After that, the resetting will be done.

Could I upgrade? Sure. But DH and I are very financially focused right now on finishing our children's college funds, projects around the house and travel funds. Some day I may upgrade, or maybe no. If I never get too, I think I'll be ok with that. I do plan on getting a diamond band or two (channel set, or maybe shared prong?) to add to the new plain solitaire. 8-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original diamond was a 1 ct. round, and for our 30th anniversary I got a new 1.63 ct. stone from GOG. I am in the process of swapping it for a 1.58 G VS1 round and resetting. I have no desire for an upgrade in size at all.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I *think* I am satisfied. The size is okay, not that I would turn down a larger diamond. I am not sure it would be a round one though.
I do love it, but occasionally, I wish for a different setting. But the thing is, I am not sure I would ever be totally satisfied. New and beautiful settings always come along and for a minute I think about it. For this reason, I will not upgrade or change my setting.
I am not sure it is possible to be totally satisfied with a diamond or setting and still be keeping up on Pricescope.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Circe|1326643016|3103400 said:
It also occurs to me to add ... like many, this thread is probably going to suffer from self-selection bias. At present, almost everybody who's posted is satisfied, and most have either started out with a big juicy size, or added on, or both. And the people who are dissatisfied? Are probably keeping vewwy, vewwy quiet, because being called "greedy" is a big no-no in our society.

And I say - sucks to that! When men get greedy, it's called being ambitious, and it benefits them. When women get greedy, we're cast as children begging for sweets, or golddiggers - parasites on men, as opposed to individuals who contribute, to society or to the relationship, and therefore get to choose their own pleasures and rewards.

So, to quote Gordon Gekko - greed is good! Being greedy for books got me a Ph.D.: being greedy for diamonds is getting me a lot of obscure and fascinating knowledge, hella good deals (which measured against our stock investments, are increasing our net worth more than respectably) ... and some pretty rocks. Hard to articulate what, if anything, is wrong with that ....

Interesting point, and I completely agree (as usual). I would add that I have no issue with being thought of as greedy, maybe since I meet my own wants when it comes to acquiring stuff. It's like lazy - I'm comfortable with both concepts (a lot of stuff, a lot of leisure time) since my own judgement is the only one that matters and I'm really very forgiving. ;))

As for being satisfied with my diamond size, yes. I am. I know we have this conversation from time to time, but I don't live in a society where large diamonds are particularly prized or coveted. My engagement ring is 1ct, I have never upgraded it, and I chose it for myself with no limit on budget (that I'm aware of, I'm sure there was one, but clearly I wasn't even close to it, from the relief all over J's face when I made my final choice :lol: ).

eta, that isn't to say I don't think I'd like a 12ct emerald cut with baguette sides. I would wear that. It would have to be a right hand ring, but I could ROCK that. I deserve one. :bigsmile:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I'm more than happy with mine. I think it's just the right size for me, and the only thing I think I would change is the setting, because now that I've worn it for a while, it's a bit wider than I think I like, and there are a couple of workmanship issues that bother me about it. Nothing major, just some cosmetic stuff that can hopefully be easily repaired under warranty, but I just don't want to send it out.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I love my set, and I have never upgraded. It's exactly what I wanted and I would never dream of changing it! I just get new stuff... :naughty:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
tigian|1326653296|3103516 said:
ame|1326649325|3103468 said:
This is exactly how I feel about my ering. I know later down the road, when it is somewhat more appropriate, my DH will want to upgrade my ring and I'm not going to argue with that! (Well, I may have to drop a few hints :Up_to_something: )
We actually talked about this at lunch. He said he thinks mine is like a trophy right now. But that when and if I want to either upgrade or make a three stone and we can afford it for sure, he's down for whatever. But that will be a ways off. I am pretty content right now with the size. I told him I need to get my band/setting figured out but that isn't something he cares about unless it's a lot. I think we are both frustrated with what has been spent to date to not be satisfied with that.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I would never be happy! I have seen enough impressive sized diamonds on clients and at buyers shows (the largest being a 60plus carat fancy pear shape ) that i would always want a ring with a monster sized round brilliant cut or emerald cut diamond center stone! :twisted: In reality though i don't believe that i will ever trade or buy up past my current 2.54 round brilliant. Ive been told more then a few times that its an impressive size for a gents ring. If i had a choice i would be happy with a 4-5 carat fancy blue brilliant cut or a 7-8 carat white emerald cut set in a 2-tone platinum and 18kt. ring! :love:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I am thrilled with my diamond size (1.19 asscher). However, my dream is to have a 2ct. someday, but I would want it in the same exact setting, which means I would need an entire new ring made since a 2ct. would not fit in my current setting, and that is pretty unlikely. Of course, you never know. DH surprised me with THIS upgrade, so I guess it's possible.

usnwife

Rough_Rock
Yes- very much so. I have actually gone down a smidge from my first stone. I am about to get my dream setting. Next up, great trips, or maybe a new car for the hubster. I am satisfied with life all around.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am in a similar situation as Sonny. I don't wear my e-ring at work. The result, my diamond always looks bigger than I remember it! Perfect cure to DSS. I have never considered an upgrade. I would probably be more likely to sell my current e-ring and start over than plunk a bigger EC in the setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori E-ring|1326684426|3103913 said:
I am in a similar situation as Sonny. I don't wear my e-ring at work. The result, my diamond always looks bigger than I remember it! Perfect cure to DSS. I have never considered an upgrade. I would probably be more likely to sell my current e-ring and start over than plunk a bigger EC in the setting.

:o No way could you sell that beautiful ring!!! It is a PS classic!! And the diamond is the perfect size, too!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
gwendolyn|1326645503|3103430 said:
I have my great-grandmother's engagement ring as my engagement ring, and I think the center diamond is about half a carat, with 6 smaller diamonds (3 on either side). I am not satisfied with the ring, but we never intended it to be my forever-ring anyway. We used it as my engagement ring because I inherited it and didn't have to pay money for it, and we were ready to get engaged well before we would have had the money to buy the sort of forever ring I'd want. But it isn't my style at all, really, and the stone looks pretty small on my big ol' size 9 fingers.

So, in short, no, I'm not satisfied with it. But, considering it was free, I can't complain too much, as the plan is to eventually save up for my forever wedding set--once we've bought ourselves a house and replaced our old car. Hopefully this doesn't mean I'd be considered greedy. :))

Hi Gwendolyn, I was wondering if I'd run into you! It's great to see your pretty face! You are NOT greedy!!

ETA: oops, this is scary. I SWEAR I didn't see Haven't post above to you, Gwendolyn, before I posted!! You just have that effect on people!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1326658290|3103561 said:
My original diamond was a 1 ct. round, and for our 30th anniversary I got a new 1.63 ct. stone from GOG. I am in the process of swapping it for a 1.58 G VS1 round and resetting. I have no desire for an upgrade in size at all.

Yeah, I like my 1.6 size-wise. I just wanted something around 1.5, and ended up with this stone. (as a *ahem* 'mature' lady celebrating marriage and kids, not for my original engagement ring, which was a .10 pointer in a cluster). I guess occasionally when I'm a little bored I wonder whether it would be cool to go up in colour and clarity now (currently F, eye-clean SI2). I *do* enjoy the icy whiteness that comes with very high colour, and I love the *mindclean* that comes with high graded clarity!

But I can't be bothered. My stone is paid off, so it offers EXCELLENT value for money!
I adore my beautifully cut stone! And the setting! :love:
It gives me pleasure every day.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I'm absolutely 100% satisfied with my 1ct princess, even though at 5.5mm it's small by PS standards. I've had it since 2007, so I figure if DSS were going to happen, it would have by now. It sits nice and low and covers just about 1/3 of my finger, and that's perfect for me...not so big that I'd feel uncomfortable wearing it in certain situations such as work, and not so small that I can't see the faceting pattern. That said, I'm not 100% satisfied with the color, and I'm considering upgrading in the future because of that. Part of me doesn't want to upgrade solely for color without adding a little bit of size (might as well, right?). I can't imagine wearing anything bigger than 1.5ct and would want it to fit in the same setting, so if I do upgrade, it would be in the 1.2-1.3ct range.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock

Dont. You. Dare. :devil:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

Maybe that's what I need to start doing. If I leave my ring at home, it will look bigger when I do put it on. Thanks for the tip! :cheeky:

April20

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1326723974|3104159 said:

Maybe that's what I need to start doing. If I leave my ring at home, it will look bigger when I do put it on. Thanks for the tip! :cheeky:

I left mine in the US for six months while we were in Africa and when I got home and put it on, the d@mn thing looked the same to me. Curses!

All that aside, I have a 1 ct princess in a halo setting. Would I rock a 1.5 ct chunky cushion or AVC? You betcha. My chances of getting DH on board with this? Slim to none.... I do like my current ring and my fingers are small so it does look a decent size on my hand.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't wear mine much and it does look massive when I do.

Feb03Bride|1326723420|3104155 said:

Dont. You. Dare. :devil:
EXACTLY what I was thinking. BLASPHEMY.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love my ring, and oddly I don't really have a case of DSS on it. I still love the stone and overall the set really works for my life. I can wear it everyday, it doesn't snag on anything, is super durable, and I still stare at it all the time. There are a lot of rings I've seen on PS that I like better, but none that really are the right fit for me, e-ring wise, if that makes sense.

That being said, I want a honker of a RHR someday. Not sure if I'll ever get it (since I will be the one paying for it), but since I am more than just a wife (which I feel my e-ring represents), I would have no problem rocking a giant rock on my right hand from time to time. I'm a successful woman with a lot of different facets and my right hand jewelry can represent all sorts of things, while my left hand is the steady workhouse that is constant, under the radar, and solid. ::)

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 1.22 antique cushion and it's diamond #4 for me. I have tiny kid hands so it looks huge on me and I love the chunky facets. My previous three diamonds were all RB's. I don't know if I'll upgrade again; I lost my job right after I finished the cushion project. I would love to get some side-stones for it someday though ;-)

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
I love my stone. Before I received my diamond, I wondered if I should have gone with a 1.2-1.3 in a lower color versus my 1.06 F, but now that I have it on my finger I think the size is perfect. But then neither of us wanted my ring to stand out for its size.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Love my 1.51 ct round. Perfect size for my slender fingers. Bigger just did not complement my hands, if you know what I mean. My ideal stone, however, would be a radiant cut and that I would go up to at least 2cts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results