shape
carat
color
clarity

How many of you are satisfied with your diamond size?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
How many are 100% satisfied, and how many upgrades did it take to get to where you are? I'm just curious having seen the responses to the thread about girls getting greedier and wanting the 2 ct engagement rings.

I am 100% happy with my current diamond size (1.81 ct) and would be completely okay with staying with this size for the rest of my life. To me anything bigger would not fit my lifestyle/social circle.

This is after 2 upgrades....the most recent being last year on my 10 year anniversary.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I have a 1.01ct center stone, and two .35ct side stones. That's what I started off with and I've had it since summer 2008. Because of my job, I don't wear my e-ring very often... maybe a few hours a week at best. Knowing that, I have honestly never given any active thought to upgrading. Now, if someone offered to give me a larger stone for free, I'd certainly take it! But I'm quite content, or as you phrased it, "satisfied" with my stone.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 1.06 asscher in a halo. I honestly love it and would not ever upgrade it. I did upgrade to get to this point though. My first ring was a .50 princess and I had a lot of problems with the setting. We decided to upgrade the whole thing for the same style but slightly larger and I then had a .80 princess. Then I discovered pricescope and a few other places and learned how horribly cut my mall ring was. It broke my heart and angered my then fiance bc we knew we did not get what we paid for. We did one final trade to get rid of it and I got a lovely bracelet that I wore on my wedding day.

Then we started over and I found DBL and got the asscher. I have worn it over 5 years now and I still love it madly. Any other future rings will be additional anniversary rings, no actual upgrades. Any of these purchases will be joint purchases made by me and my husband from saving up. I may one day have a ring with a stone over 2 cts but it will be a colored diamond and something we saved a long time to buy, not an impulse credit purchase. I have learned to wait for my sparkles, makes it better when you get them :)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm satisfied with my diamond size, but I wouldn't kick a bigger diamond out of bed for eating crackers! :cheeky: I don't know if I'll ever upgrade my e-ring, although the thought crosses my mind occasionally! ;)) Last time I seriously thought about I got all sentimental about it, so I'm not sure if I could actually trade it in for an upgrade.

ETA I have a 1.51 radiant in a halo. If I did get a bigger diamond I don't think I would halo it because my ring now looks pretty large on me.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I've upgraded a couple times and my current stone is a 2.14 round brilliant. I'm happy with the size and it's a great stone-but I'd rather have an august vintage.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
1.5 ct Asscher. Totally satisfied with the stone -- not w/ my sausage fingers!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is my forever ring. I'm not sure how to count my upgrades?? I had my original ering, which was a 2ct RB in a Scott Kay setting, which was lost/stolen. Then I got a 3.3 carat cushion, but it wasn't eye clean to my standards, so I traded it for a 3.5 cushion that was eye clean. I had it for a few months and wasn't wearing it because it was too much ring for me (with the side stones, the ring was over 5ct). So, I sold it and got my current stone, which is a 2.8 ct oval in a custom Singlestone setting. I've had it for a few months now and I love it to pieces and would never consider upgrading it. It's perfect for me. :))

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My original e-ring is a 1.46 J VS1 round, and I've always been satisfied with it - heck, I'm over the moon about it! But that doesn't mean I didn't have room in my heart (or on my hands) for additional looks: I've been collecting stacking bands every year for our anniversaries, and for our fifth anniversary this year I got a transitional round with the same basic specs as my e-ring - J, VVS1 - only a carat bigger, and with medium fluorescence. Fluorescence was the only thing missing in my life!

Seriously, though, while I am loving my big beautiful anniversary ring (which, at a 6.5, a full size bigger than my usual ring size, is the only thing I could wear during my pregnancy), I'm typically just as likely to wear an eternity ring or three. They all remind me of different points in my relationship, and I treasure each and every one. Once my hands go back to normal, I figure I'll revert ... but now I'll have the anniversary ring on my right hand. Is it still "greed" if you simply adhere to the philosophy that too much is never enough? :devil:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I guess I should add that while I know I'll never upgrade my ering, like Circe, I have plenty of room in my heart (and fingers) for stacking bands, which I hope to begin collecting soon. I have a BIG birthday coming up next month and I've been hinting to DH for a while and I put my jeweler on alert so that he can help DH if he should happen to call or pop in. :devil: :halo:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am completely happy with my 1.55RB and wouldn't trade it or upgrade it for anything. However- I am not opposed to setting changes, or obtaining another diamond ring :)

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my ring - i think about how much i love it almost every time i wear it. I chose an eternity band for both my engagement ring and wedding band, primarily because I love the look of eternities and I knew I would be happy wearing one forever. I have large fingers (7 - 7.5) and any diamond we could have afforded would have looked pretty small on my hand. I also love the size of it (10 pointers) because it's blingy and also really comfortable to wear every day.

I've always thought I would add another ring to it someday, but the more I wear it, I don't think I will. I really like it by itself more and more - pretty sure my husband will be happy about that ;))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if my wife wants an upgrade she'll have to find herself a sugar daddy. the word "upgrade" is a very fearful word to a guy's ear.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty happy with the size of my stone (1 carat). I will always have it in a halo setting, so the finger coverage is pretty decent.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
100% satisfied with both my rings. I have a 1.05 ct F VVS1 cushion solitaire and another 3 stone with a 2.58 ct J SI2 RB centre.

They satisfy all my longings for colour, size, clarity, everything. I really really like having 2 different looks to chose from. It has completely quashed any desire for future upgrades.

I won't be changing them any time soon but I am always open to buying more diamonds (probably an old cut this time) in the future.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've only been engaged for ten months, so this answer might change, but I'm very satisfied with my ring. It's a three-stone, with a 2 ct sapphire and two .7ish half-moon diamonds. My ring size is 4.5. Maybe I could do bigger sidestones - the ones I have kind of blend into the pave band. But the overall size is perfect for everyday wear. I tried on bigger rings and found them unwieldy.

As for room in my heart for more - the few (but pricy) things I want are a low-color diamond in a YG setting, a 1.25-1.5cttw five-stone band, and a pear diamond. And a pear sapphire. And pears in every color of every gemstone omg pears! But none of these things would be an "upgrade" on my engagement ring, but rather things to be worn with it, or, in the case of the yellow gold ring, an alternate set.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I currently have a 1.01ct princess and it faces up much smaller...I am ok with the ct weight...but I wished it was a round, so it would actually look like a 1ct stone...so if I upgrade it would be a small upgrade to a nicely cut round stone...I started out with a tiny band of rubies and diamonds and then moved on to a .18ct round, which I wore for many years then I upgraded to what I currently have....

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm 100% satisfied with my diamond size. It's a 1.23ct. All that I would like is the eternity band to go with it which will hopefully arrive at the end of next year.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
I am completely satisfied with my 0.80 transitional, in its setting it is perfect to me. My 0.51 oval - no, its too small for my finger and I no longer wear it, but I'm sure that one day it would look lovely as part of another ring.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I am still thrilled to pieces and have no desire to upgrade or change my original e-ring (0.91 ct round with 0.3-ish tcw of sidestones). The proportions of the ring are absolutely perfect. I could have had a larger diamond (DH wanted to go 1-1.15 cts) when we were purchasing, but I thought anything over 0.9 didn't work very well with the setting, and I was IN.L :love: VE with the setting...I was NOT letting it get away. And the thought of ever trading the ring in makes me weepy. So, while you never say never, I'd say it's highly unlikely I will ever upgrade.

I may enhance with a lovely stacking band or two. But probably not anything over 15 pointers. And my right hand is aching for an old cut in an art deco setting. But I have plenty of time to add those to my collection, since DH and I are only just past the half-way mark to our first anniversary. :devil: :D :halo:

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a 1/3 ct round with a wrap that has small rounds and baguettes. It looks almost like a 3 stone w/pear sides. I like it but have always wanted a larger stone. Hubby FINALLY bought me an eternity stacker for Christmas (which I :love: ) but I still have plans to upgrade for a big anniversary. Ideally our 15, which is in '14 :D I'm still debating on what type of setting, but I want as close to 1ct round as possible w/probably side stones. My current pick is Summer from BGD as long as it will sit flush w/my straight bands....

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my ring... it's perfect.. but every now and then.. I wonder what it would look like had it been a 1.5 versus 1.3.. so not a whole lot bigger... but curious....

I think if I had gone the non-halo route I would feel this way more often...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original e-ring is a 0.47 round center with tapered side baguettes. I'm not sure why I don't adore it. I usually wear a 1/3 carat round center with sapphire sides set in a very wide filigree setting, or a 3 stone with approx .20 sides and a 4 x 5 mm center, or a filigree 5 mm wide wedding band. I think I like low profile pieces or pieces that take up a lot of finger estate - neither of which my original engagement ring has.

I haven't changed my original engagement, I just keep adding more smaller and less expensive rings to the collection.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It also occurs to me to add ... like many, this thread is probably going to suffer from self-selection bias. At present, almost everybody who's posted is satisfied, and most have either started out with a big juicy size, or added on, or both. And the people who are dissatisfied? Are probably keeping vewwy, vewwy quiet, because being called "greedy" is a big no-no in our society.

And I say - sucks to that! When men get greedy, it's called being ambitious, and it benefits them. When women get greedy, we're cast as children begging for sweets, or golddiggers - parasites on men, as opposed to individuals who contribute, to society or to the relationship, and therefore get to choose their own pleasures and rewards.

So, to quote Gordon Gekko - greed is good! Being greedy for books got me a Ph.D.: being greedy for diamonds is getting me a lot of obscure and fascinating knowledge, hella good deals (which measured against our stock investments, are increasing our net worth more than respectably) ... and some pretty rocks. Hard to articulate what, if anything, is wrong with that ....

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a little over 50, lost my e-ring (.33 carat) and have alternated over the years between vintage rings with small stones and a 10 year anniversary band (1.25 carats). A few years ago a received a wedding set with a 1.03 stone, and I love it and enjoy wearing it, but I would really like a larger stone/more finger coverage.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I was happy with my original e ring at 1.15ct pear w .30 in baguettes back in 1979 but reset it to a more blingy two tone with round side bezeled stones of .25 and the bags. Loved that ring! I was always happy with the size of the stone and loved it. But then was. Stolen in 2009 and just recently I replaced it w a1.27 d pear from GOG. The stone is slightly bigger but higher color.
I still cannot decide on the setting as I want to be as happy as I was with the old setting. I go back and forth between vintage look which i adore with side sapphires in honor of my mom, and almost wanting to reproduce the old setting. I love bezels.
So I walk around the house w it in the temp holder asking her what she wants to wear.... No answer yet!!

For a RHR for my next big anniversary 2014...35 years .....
I have a dream ring in mind that does not include the pear but that does include 3 AVC stones in bezels!!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had my 1.03 ct RB solitaire since May and don't think i would want a bigger size. Before that I had a .81 carat RB solitaire which i wore for 5 months and just never liked it as well as my previous .53 ct RB diamond. I wore the .53 ct for over 4 years. The 1/2 and 1 carat are AGS0. The 3/4 ct was a GIA EX. I am sure if the 3/4 ct had been as nice as my 1/2 ct I would still have it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom|1326596365|3103201 said:
How many are 100% satisfied, and how many upgrades did it take to get to where you are? I'm just curious having seen the responses to the thread about girls getting greedier and wanting the 2 ct engagement rings......

good post and good point, jaysonsmom. perhaps the women in DF's thread re girls getting greedier is merely they're being more realistic about what they want so that they won't end up with "shrinkage" and then one or more upgrades? is it ok to call them "greedier" when we don't call those desiring an upgrade "greedy" but merely acting on their desire to have what they want? lots of food for thought with this.

i also know that one could argue that upgrades happen over a period of time or later in the marriage when financial things, including home buying, have perhaps been accomplished. but not always....and sometimes its still a financial stretch for the household. then in my mind's eye there is also the issue of whether the "greedier" younger woman is actually getting value for $ or simply mall store front shopping for her e-ring. and i think we've had some here upgrade because they found this forum and wanted a better quality diamond.....

it would seem that there is no right answer and that only time will tell if those "greedier" young women end up wanting upgrades as well.

again, good post, jaysonsmom. i was actually leaning into the "yes, they are greedier" camp until you started this thread......now i just think its personal choice [admittedly, greatly influenced by marketing].

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1326643016|3103400 said:
It also occurs to me to add ... like many, this thread is probably going to suffer from self-selection bias. At present, almost everybody who's posted is satisfied, and most have either started out with a big juicy size, or added on, or both. And the people who are dissatisfied? Are probably keeping vewwy, vewwy quiet, because being called "greedy" is a big no-no in our society.

And I say - sucks to that! When men get greedy, it's called being ambitious, and it benefits them. When women get greedy, we're cast as children begging for sweets, or golddiggers - parasites on men, as opposed to individuals who contribute, to society or to the relationship, and therefore get to choose their own pleasures and rewards.

So, to Gordon Gekko - greed is good! Being greedy for books got me a Ph.D.: being greedy for diamonds is getting me a lot of obscure and fascinating knowledge, hella good deals (which measured against our stock investments, are increasing our net worth more than respectably) ... and some pretty rocks. Hard to articulate what, if anything, is wrong with that ....

Circe, we were posting at the same time and I agree with you, people who would like a larger stone are going to feel funny admitting it because most people posting are content with their rings - and yes, I hesitated at first to post because most of the people responding are satisfied and I'm...not! Didn't want to appear greedy or ungrateful, since I just received a nice-sized stone a few years ago. But I figured I might as well be honest and admit I'd like a bigger rock! This is a diamond board after all.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started with .38 and at 28 years I got 1.21 with .4 sides. I will never upgrade BUT I could totally see that 1.21 as a 2ct.!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I have my great-grandmother's engagement ring as my engagement ring, and I think the center diamond is about half a carat, with 6 smaller diamonds (3 on either side). I am not satisfied with the ring, but we never intended it to be my forever-ring anyway. We used it as my engagement ring because I inherited it and didn't have to pay money for it, and we were ready to get engaged well before we would have had the money to buy the sort of forever ring I'd want. But it isn't my style at all, really, and the stone looks pretty small on my big ol' size 9 fingers.

So, in short, no, I'm not satisfied with it. But, considering it was free, I can't complain too much, as the plan is to eventually save up for my forever wedding set--once we've bought ourselves a house and replaced our old car. Hopefully this doesn't mean I'd be considered greedy. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results